Other Baby Foods:

Sprout Organic Baby Food

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Almost Good Enough for Me to Eat...Almost...

If I loved my food pureed, this would be just as tasty to me as my 8 month old!  A friend gave me a few food pouches to try and I (and my baby) love them!  Roasted Apples, Bananas, Squash, Peas, Apples and Blueberries... the list goes on!

They are easy to open, pour, "zip" closed, and store!  Great for traveling and eating at home.  The color is vibrant, consistency creamy (I noticed the peas were a bit thicker than the other "flavors we tried"), and the flavor is a hit for my little one.  We are excited to try the stage 2 combinations soon (as we got started on solids a little late).

I recommend this to first time solid-eaters *especially* because they are ORGANIC! So much better for little digestive systems and have so many benefits!  Only con, they are a bit pricey, unless you have coupons or kind find a good sale (or get them given as gifts like I did)!  I would definitely recommend these or other organic baby foods!

A high quality, organic baby food, but our baby would not eat it

When my granddaughter started to eat more solid foods, I wanted to feed her the best quality I could find, and that meant buying organic food. Most of the baby food I found was not organic, so when I saw the Sprout Organics Baby Food at our local Fred Meyer store I was willing to pay the higher price for them. Unfortunately, almost every one of these we tried was a disappointment.

They come in a variety of flavors, and I purchased Roasted Apples & Blueberries, Roasted Turkey, Organic Peach Pumpkin Pie, Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese, Multi-Grain Cereal with Fruits and Berries, Creamy Chicken & Mixed Garden Vegetables, Roasted Cinnamon Applesauce, Minestrone with Beans & Greens, and Holiday Vegetable Dinner.

Let me first say that my granddaughter has never been a fussy eater, so I expected her to love these baby foods. They are gourmet baby foods, if you will, but most of them she simply did not enjoy and would not eat. Some of them she ate half of the container, others she would only take a bite and turn her nose up at them.

The foods come in pouches that have a zipper style closure along the top, so you can save any leftovers. However, I found it very difficult to get to the bottom of the pouch using a regular spoon, and food was often stuck in the corners.

My granddaughter likes the holiday dinner as well as the peach pie, (which we adults loved as well!), but for the price I could not justify buying these since much of the food was often tossed due to our baby not enjoying the flavors or textures.

Quality of Ingredients
High quality ingredients, and I love the fact that they are organic!

Safety
Not sure how safe it is to save food in the pouch when we have leftovers. This is just my personal feeling, I would prefer to save food in glass jars.

Great baby food

from Richmond VA

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

This was one of our favorite baby food brands. Sprout creates wonderful blends of food to introduce children to new tastes and textures, which is a great way to ensure that picky eating is at a minimum. These food combinations are so similar to many adult meals. I loved seeing my son try and enjoy these unique combinations, and I even got some ideas for dinners for myself and my husband!

Quality of Ingredients
Sprout uses fantastic ingredients. It was a big relief to know I could trust the organic ingredients in the baby food to be gentle on my son's young stomach and provide him with lots of vital nutrients.

Safety
Sprout is a very reliable brand, so the (very slightly) lower rating has nothing to do with the product itself. The problem was with the pouches. If your child does not eat all of the food in the pouch at once, do NOT store the leftovers in the pouch. Just transfer whatever is left to a container you can seal completely. I made the mistake of not doing that and the food did not keep, but I caught it before serving it to my son, thankfully! It is an easy fix, but slightly inconvenient at times.

Messy and Not All That Good

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

We have a daughter who is now two and a half years old, and we still give her pouch foods, mainly Ella's Organics and Plum Organics fruit and veggie blends. We just find pouch food so convenient, even though I have a baby food maker. But we often ate out and were out of town a lot when our daughter was young, so it was very helpful to have pouch foods in my purse in case the restaurant didn't have baby or toddler-friendly foods. Their tummies are little, and sometimes they get hungry sooner than you think they will, or you run out for errands and things take longer than you expected. So given these situations I learned to keep pouches in my purse and the diaper bag. The Sprout foods looked really good on the shelf - they had veggies and sometimes grains, making it a more complete meal. But since half the point of these pouch foods is food on-the-go and convenience, I was surprised at how messy and inconvenient these pouches are. You can re-close them, which is good for babies who do not eat much in one sitting, but it is hard not to get food in the zip-loc part, and that is kind of gross. The texture was very thick and my daughter did not like it at all. The fold in the bottom of the pouch made it hard to get at the food. I bought one of these pouches and never purchased another one.

Nutrition at its finest

from Emmaus, PA

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

When my baby began eating solids, I vowed to feed her homemade baby food. To me it was important that my child eat nothing but quality meals. But I soon realized that when life gets busy I needed a product that could easily be packed in a diaper bag. That is when I discovered Sprout Organic Baby Food. These little pouches are filled with delicious and nutritious food combos that are appealing to a baby's pallet.
I was very impressed with the variety of flavors Sprout offers. Each food pouch is resealable in case the child does not finish all of the food. Perhaps the best thing about Sprout Organic is that they use real food and no additional additives. So many other baby food products on the market often add sugar or additives that completely alter the food and leave it so processed looking.
As a parent, the health of my child is of utmost importance and when using this product I am confident that I am feeding my baby a healthy alternative to homemade cooking.

Sprout Baby Food: Good Product, Terrible Packaging

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

When buying ready made baby food for my little ones, I try to always buy organic. So when I saw Sprout baby food show up on the aisle at my local grocery store, I was thrilled to have another organic option available. I bought several packages that were on sale that day, and my son liked most of them. The food itself was a great quality, however, the packaging was not my favorite.

Sprout comes in a pouch. It quickly became apparent that feeding a baby with a spoon out of a pouch is much more painstaking then spooning it out of a jar.

The pouch is resealable, which is nice in theory. So if you think your little one won't eat all the baby food, you can save the rest for later. Doing so entails pouring or spooning some of the pouch contents into another container to feed the baby from. However, this process usually gets baby food all over the top of the pouch. Then when you close it, the baby food is in between the zipper and on top of the pouch. It is a royal pain, and as a busy mom, that is one thing I don't have time for.

I would also much prefer glass bottles to these plastic coated pouches. Great food, but the containers spoiled it for me.

• Safety:

I like Sprout Organic Baby Food, but not the packaging!

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

I actually really like everything about **Sprout Organic Baby Food** BUT the packaging. I've only bought it once and that's because I don't like the fact that the food comes in a thin pouch. The packaging makes it hard to feed your baby from because it's a narrow pouch and it if you don't want to feed your baby from the pouch, you have to squeeze it all out into a separate container, which is creating unnecessary dishes and making the feeding process more difficult than it needs to be. I prefer the traditional glass jars of baby food.

Quality of Ingredients
I love that the ingredients are all natural and organic. The one I bought had turkey and cranberries. It was a Thanksgiving dinner style entree. While I like the ingredients of Sprout Organic Baby Food, I wouldn't buy it again.

Safety
The pieces were in good sizes for little mouths.

A high quality, organic baby food, but our baby would not eat it

from Eagle River, AK

Quality of Ingredients
High quality ingredients, and I love the fact that they are organic!

• Safety:

Almost Good Enough for Me to Eat...Almost...

from Grand Prairie, TX

• Safety:

It's the best and my SON lovesit! Plus it stays down....

from Houston, TX

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

My son as acid reflux.  So for me to find a food that stays down and ALL Natuarl I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!  No soy, no sugar, no milk just has if I was making myself........................  Did I say I LOVE THIS PRODUCT.  The only thing is I can only find it at one of our local stores in HOUSTON.  But I just stock up when I go!  SPROUT BABY Food is the best! For more info go to sproutbaby.com

My daughter loves this food. But

from Leander, TX

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

My daughter loves this baby food.  She will only eat this brand of squash.  But out of 20 pouches that I bought I had to throw away 6 because it looked terrible and smalled terrible.  One of them even had black and green mold inside, even though it said it doesnt expire til August 2010.   I hate to see my money being thrown in the trash.

Leena

Good for on the go

from Las Cruces, NM

Comments about Sprout Organic Baby Food:

This product is great for in the diaper bag, when your on the go or going to be away from home for a while. But it would be nice if they came in larger packages as well for at home. It would help save on waste (less trash) and would be nice for when baby starts to eat larger portions. Another con is that once opened ealing them back up is kinda messy because the food gets on the seal. I also wish the bottom was a little wider so you could stand the package up when its open, as it is it doesnt do to well. The flavors they offer are very good (always been a fan of baby food, minus the meats...YUK!) but they dont seem to have a lot of variety, at least not in the stores in my area. Do wish they were a little cheaper and wish you could get multi-packs, local stores in my area only sell individual packs, it would be nice if they came in like 4 or 6 packs. So overall the packaging leaves something to be desired but the food itself is very good.