1.6

Pros

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:

Fly for CHEAP...but expect your flight to change!

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**. ...Read complete review

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**.  It's free!

After joining the **$9 fare club**, you will receive weekly emails with all of Spirit Airlines deals.  Deals range from airline tickets, to travel packages, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc.

I check out my emails every week.  About six months ago, I got an email to fly one way to Myrtle Beach for $2.00.  WOW.  I checked out the dates and figured "why not?".  For $2.00, how can you refuse?

So I booked a 5 day trip to Myrtle Beach for my daughter and I.  The total cost of two round trip tickets was $89.60!  Can you believe that?  TOTAL!   Most of the cost is for taxes and fees.  How exciting.  I email my flight itinerary to my cousin, who lives there, so she can pick us up from the airport.

About two months later, I received an email saying that my flight has been changed.  So I check it out.  Now, not only do I have a layover in New York LaGuardia but my flight leaves 6 hours earlier from Myrtle Beach.  Well...that stinks BUT for $89.60 can I really complain?   So once again I email my flight itinerary, since I have someone picking me up.  I'm not happy with the layover with a 4 year old but I can handle it.

Then 3 months later comes another email.  I cringe when I read the subject line.  "Your flight has been changed."  OH NO!  It can only get better, right?  Wrong.  I still have my layover in New York LaGuardia Airport but it's a longer layover and I leave Myrtle Beach another half hour earlier.  That stinks.

When it's all said and done, I really can't complain.  Maybe it was too good to be true at the beginning but it's still a really good deal, right?  Right!!!  I'm going on a 5 day vacation to a warmer climate to visit family for $89.60!

You can't beat that!!!

Jets by Airbus, seats by de Sade

Just last week, while my daughter had her spring break, we decided to fly up to NY to visit my eldest daughter and my 9 month-old grand-daughter.  Well that's not quite right, we decided about a month ago.

Everyone warned us the fares would be savage, and on most other airlines that was indeed the case.  So I visited Spirit Air's web-site and booked the three of us a round-trip ticket for a total cost of less than $700.  I thought that was pretty good, in fact great.

I was under no illusions.  I've flown this airline before.  Okay, so in the last year it's become a la carte.  You pay for everything save the lavatory (give them time).  But I could deal with all that.

I was happy to learn that they had scrapped the old MD-80's in favor of the Airbus 319 and 321.  The MD-80 is a pretty old jet and Spirit's were older than dirt and pretty threadbare.  I was sure the Airbus as going to be a big improvement.

**Our Experience**

Right up until we got to our seats everything was more or less uneventful.  You know, typical airline stuff.  Our Airbus 319 was so new it smelled like a new car.  So, what could possibly go wrong?

Let me ask you.  How many human bodies do you think you could possibly cram into a jet?  To say the seating is tight is a massive understatement.  Sitting in an upright position my knees were jammed into the back of the seat in front of me.  Pull down the serving tray?  Not a chance!

To be totally fair to Spirit, the 319 does have 8 seats up front that will accommodate the human form for an additional fare.

I've been on airlines with tight seating.  Southwest isn't particularly spacious.  But I can honestly say that I've never sat in a seat that was as painful as this one.  There is something at the bottom of the seat-back that juts into your tail-bone and then just goes to town on it.

Could it have just been my seat?  Certainly possible, but being Rudi Xeno I felt I had an obligation to investigate.  I polled all the passengers around me.  It wasn't just my seat!  I even talked to the flight attendants when I accompanied my daughter to the lavatory.  They giggled, but they agreed.  These are possibly the worst airline seats flying today.

**My Viewpoint**

My father used to say "cheap is cheap".  I guess you get only what you pay for.  On the plus side, we did get to see our grand-daughter on reasonably short notice and without rupturing our bank account.  My tail-bone I'm told will heal.  But this is not an airline that one should fly if they can possibly avoid it.

Regards,

Rudi

Uncomfortable seats

from GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Thank God it was a short flight. The seats are tiny and very uncomfortable. I didn't have any fee issues (weekend trip) bare fare is cool. I carried on a back pack. The plane was clean enough, and the staff was very friendly and professional. I dont recommend this airline for flights over 1 and 1/2 hour.

Never Again!

from Maryland

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Me and my husband fly a lot we will never ever fly Spirit again. The baggage rules are ridiculous. We went and bought a special bag 17 inches by what ever it was, and it changed to 16 Inches. 40 pounds not fifty if your bags are to big to heavy they charge you a fortune. Don't even get a free beverage. NEVER WILL FLY THEM AGAIN.

Spirit Airlines Ruined My 50th Birthday Trip

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

I booked a trip from Atlanta, GA to Cancun, Mexico from April 11, 2016 through April 14, 2016 through Expedia. Twelve hours before my flight was scheduled to depart from Atlanta, Spirit Airlines sent me an email informing me that my flight was canceled. I called them and they only offered me a flight which would get me to Cancun the following day. Since that was unacceptable I called Expedia and asked if they could find me an alternate flight. Their customer service was terrible and kept putting me on hold, then ultimately hanging up on me. After 3 hours of trying to get their help with no success I decided to cancel the trip. I received a refund from Spirit Airlines but haven't gotten anywhere with Expedia regarding the hotel portion of the refund. They keep telling me that I did not give proper notice to qualify for a refund. I finally got through to a manager named Daphne on Sunday but still have not received my refund. I feel like they stole my vacation and my money. This has been going on for 8 days now.

This is the most horrible airline‼️

from Detroit Mi

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

This is the most horrible airline. Customer service is even worse, not even in this country. I have had a Spirit credit card for ten yrs, with perfect credit, and not only do they rip you off on miles/with fees, they also will not offer any customer support or assistance. I am canceling this card the minute I get home and WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN. The other two families flew with Delta for $210. with free luggage. I paid twice the amount with no luggage and was charged 200,000 miles. We missed are departing flight, and even though we checked in they canceled are return flight and recharged me.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Worst flight ever.

from Minnesaota

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

This is absolutely the most horrific airline. We decided to use it cause it seemed the cheapest. But after paying for everything possible they could possibly think of we saved no money. I am surprised there isn't a charge for the bathroom, oh wait maybe there waa i didnt use it. After the flight being delayed cause of the weather (perfect weather here and our destination) they over booked the flight and were looking for at least two people to fly the next night. How can an airline overbook. Them of all people should know how mant seats they have. Then they charge for everything possible
3 hour flight not even a small bag of peanuts for everone on the plane to share.
Absolutely no leg room. So if you are above 4 feet high, never fly spirit.
My rant could go and on and on.

Terreble Service

from Geargia

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

This is the worse time I have ever had with trying to book a flight. Will NEVER use Spirit again. Tried for 3 days to book a flight from Atlanta to Orlando. First time the price kept going up as we were on the phone so had to cancel. Tried again 2 days later to book to the same destination and when all is said and done they have my to and from backwards. I am in Georgia and they booked be to fly into Atlanta. I am just trying to get to Orlando to pick my car up from there. I WILL NEVER USE THIS AIRLINES AGAIN, EVER. It has cost me almost $300 is cancellations. Somehow they managed to flip my Departure and Arrival locations during booking and I can't get it fixed. DON'T FLY WITH THIS AIRLINES unless you have a lot of money to waste. "Minus Zero ratings."

Our worst airline experience ever!

from The Villages, FL

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Worst website I have ever seen, unhappy employees, pay for seats that you don't get, poor communication with customers, no ideas of customer service.

Won't risk it again

from Fort Lee, NJ

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

My parents are in southern florida and my son and I wanted to get down there this winter to visit them. He is very busy with activites, and we found the only time to go was over Martin Luther King weekend. I looked around for flights, and found that Spirit was by far the lowest price. I did a little research and I understood that they are a budget flight. I knew I'd have to pay for picking seats, I knew I'd have to pay for carry on's and if we even wanted water on the flight. I was okay with all of that because the price was still the best. What iw as NOT OKAY with was our flight being canceled with no reason given at all (the weather was great at both locations). When you are only going somewhere for 3 nights and they cancel your flight and you cannot get any customer service, it is very frustrating. They only thing I was able to do was to find a flight out the next day. We lost a third of our time away. I would definitely NOT risk that happening again. I will only fly Spirit if it is absolutely the only choice I have.

I will NEVER fly Spirit again

from Houston, TX

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

This is by far the worse airline I have ever flown. Don't be fooled by the cheap fares. By the time you pay for bags and put up with the hassle, you will have paid more in money, time, and patience. I flew Spirit from Houston to Las Vegas last week, through no fault of theirs I missed my initial flight. I called Spirit to see if there was another flight I could take, waited on hold for 15 mins, spoke to a rep who was snoring between responses, and got no where. I ended up booking a flight with SW and of course it was awesome.

Then it came time for my for my return fight, I called Spirit to ask them to apply my bag fee from my initial flight ( the one I didn't take) and apply it to my return flight. WELLLL, first I was on hold for over an hour. No exaggeration, an hour. Then I got a rep, and what an experience. She informed me that because I missed my outbound flight Spirit cancelled my return flight. This woman had the audacity to tell me I needed to call back, wait on hold, and book the ticket again, at the current fare. I had to demand to speak with a supervisor multiple times, wait on hold again, have her listen to my initial call to the rep on the first flight I missed, and then reinstate my tickets. So yes they resolved my issue, but it took 2 hours of my life and vacation. Then adding insult to injury, the flight was delayed by 2 hours. I don't know about you but my time is priceless.

TERRIBLE

from Detroit, MI

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Terrible airline. Very cheap tickets yes. By you pay for everything else. Not only was my flight delayed, on Christmas Day was scheduled to leave 2:30 but CREW MEMEBER did not show up for work so flight was delayed to leave at 5. All because a crew me never decides not to show up on Christmas Day to work. We have families too.