1.6

Pros

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:

Fly for CHEAP...but expect your flight to change!

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**. ...Read complete review

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**.  It's free!

After joining the **$9 fare club**, you will receive weekly emails with all of Spirit Airlines deals.  Deals range from airline tickets, to travel packages, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc.

I check out my emails every week.  About six months ago, I got an email to fly one way to Myrtle Beach for $2.00.  WOW.  I checked out the dates and figured "why not?".  For $2.00, how can you refuse?

So I booked a 5 day trip to Myrtle Beach for my daughter and I.  The total cost of two round trip tickets was $89.60!  Can you believe that?  TOTAL!   Most of the cost is for taxes and fees.  How exciting.  I email my flight itinerary to my cousin, who lives there, so she can pick us up from the airport.

About two months later, I received an email saying that my flight has been changed.  So I check it out.  Now, not only do I have a layover in New York LaGuardia but my flight leaves 6 hours earlier from Myrtle Beach.  Well...that stinks BUT for $89.60 can I really complain?   So once again I email my flight itinerary, since I have someone picking me up.  I'm not happy with the layover with a 4 year old but I can handle it.

Then 3 months later comes another email.  I cringe when I read the subject line.  "Your flight has been changed."  OH NO!  It can only get better, right?  Wrong.  I still have my layover in New York LaGuardia Airport but it's a longer layover and I leave Myrtle Beach another half hour earlier.  That stinks.

When it's all said and done, I really can't complain.  Maybe it was too good to be true at the beginning but it's still a really good deal, right?  Right!!!  I'm going on a 5 day vacation to a warmer climate to visit family for $89.60!

You can't beat that!!!

Jets by Airbus, seats by de Sade

Just last week, while my daughter had her spring break, we decided to fly up to NY to visit my eldest daughter and my 9 month-old grand-daughter.  Well that's not quite right, we decided about a month ago.

Everyone warned us the fares would be savage, and on most other airlines that was indeed the case.  So I visited Spirit Air's web-site and booked the three of us a round-trip ticket for a total cost of less than $700.  I thought that was pretty good, in fact great.

I was under no illusions.  I've flown this airline before.  Okay, so in the last year it's become a la carte.  You pay for everything save the lavatory (give them time).  But I could deal with all that.

I was happy to learn that they had scrapped the old MD-80's in favor of the Airbus 319 and 321.  The MD-80 is a pretty old jet and Spirit's were older than dirt and pretty threadbare.  I was sure the Airbus as going to be a big improvement.

**Our Experience**

Right up until we got to our seats everything was more or less uneventful.  You know, typical airline stuff.  Our Airbus 319 was so new it smelled like a new car.  So, what could possibly go wrong?

Let me ask you.  How many human bodies do you think you could possibly cram into a jet?  To say the seating is tight is a massive understatement.  Sitting in an upright position my knees were jammed into the back of the seat in front of me.  Pull down the serving tray?  Not a chance!

To be totally fair to Spirit, the 319 does have 8 seats up front that will accommodate the human form for an additional fare.

I've been on airlines with tight seating.  Southwest isn't particularly spacious.  But I can honestly say that I've never sat in a seat that was as painful as this one.  There is something at the bottom of the seat-back that juts into your tail-bone and then just goes to town on it.

Could it have just been my seat?  Certainly possible, but being Rudi Xeno I felt I had an obligation to investigate.  I polled all the passengers around me.  It wasn't just my seat!  I even talked to the flight attendants when I accompanied my daughter to the lavatory.  They giggled, but they agreed.  These are possibly the worst airline seats flying today.

**My Viewpoint**

My father used to say "cheap is cheap".  I guess you get only what you pay for.  On the plus side, we did get to see our grand-daughter on reasonably short notice and without rupturing our bank account.  My tail-bone I'm told will heal.  But this is not an airline that one should fly if they can possibly avoid it.

Regards,

Rudi

Not the best nor the worst

from OHIO

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

We had never flown with Spirit before, but when I saw an offer to fly to Vegas at a very low price we decided to book the trip. Have to say they do nickle and dime you for eveything, on the trip out we did pay ahead for the tiny $9 seat space didn't make that same mistake on the return flight and low and behold we were assigned to the same tiny seats only plus no money out of pocket for them. The seats and the space is so cramped and uncomfortable it was a miserable long 4hr flight from Detroit/Vegas, We probably would fly them again if the price was really low and the flight time was an hour or less as we didn't experience any type of delays

STAY AWAY FROM SPIRIT

from Hershey, PA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Spirit Airlines cancelled our flight from New Orleans to Baltimore 4 hours after the departure time with no explaination. The only options offered were another flight the next afternoon or a refund. With a pesky work obligation, ended up renting a car & driving 20 hours straight. Worst airline custmoer service I have ever experienced in 50 years of airline experiences. I will gladly pay double, triple - whatever it takes to avoid these clowns.

Do not book your flight on Spirit!

from Charleston, SC

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

IF YOU ARE READING THIS REVIEW, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES. YOU MAY NEVER MAKE IT TO YOUR DESTINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recently booked a ticket for myself, my two adult sons and my grandson for a trip back home for a family event. We selected Spirit because of the reasonable cost even though the departure airport was 1 ½ hours from Charleston, SC. The airport location was Myrtle Beach, SC and we drove up there on Thursday, September 14th to spend the night so we would not miss the early morning flight out on Friday, September 15th to Philadelphia, PA.
We arrived at the airport bright and early and waited in line to check our bags. After waiting for 30 minutes, one of your staff started yelling for all of those customers who booked the Myrtle Beach to Philadelphia flight, to move to another line because the flight had been cancelled. We were shocked to hear this. I had been notified by email at 4:45 am that morning but failed to read the email. When we got to the desk, my question was "what are our options?" Your staff member told me to come back the next day which was Saturday. I told her that wouldn't work because my son would lose the cost of the hotel reservation because he was cancelling without 24 hour notice and we would incur an additional night's cost for hotel accommodations in Myrtle Beach. We were also attending a family event that evening that was critical to our attendance.
There were no other options provided by the Spirit staff member. Her explanation for the cancellation was it was due to the hurricane. I would expect that one, two, three or ever four days after that event, but almost a week was hard to swallow. Apparently, the hurricane did not impact the other two airlines adjacent to Spirit because they were ready and able to assist. Ultimately, I booked with Delta Airlines. Needless to say, this cost me a lot more money for my outgoing flight than what I

Spirit Airlines ruined my Birthday

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Worst experience I've had. First of all I showed up to the airports in both destinations 2 hours early and still ended up late to my flights because of the slow service. Second, I did not buy my own tickets online, my father did, but my father barley knows English so he didn't understand the situations with checked bags. I called the airlines because I was at work with no internet the day before my flight and I told the young lady that I was only taking two small carry-on bags (they were in a gym bag so they really weren't that big) and she said I would only have to pay for one to go to Fort Lauderdale and that's it! I think its dumb you have to pay $57 for one other small carry-on bag in the first place but it was fine I paid anyways. Before I boarded on the plane I asked the two young ladies at the desk if I would have to pay for the bag when I get back so I could get some reassuring, and both of them said no. But when I am at the Ft. Lauderdale airport I go and check in and get in line for security and the lady sends me back for my bags, I told her that three ladies told me I wouldn't have to pay and I even had the ticket to show her that I paid the first time. She ignored me and told me to go back. So I went to stand in line so I could speak to someone and all the lines were crazy long, I was in line waiting for 30 mins when I see a manager walk by. I said "Excuse ma'am, can you please help me with this situation" and she said "sorry I don't help with situations" and started walking away. I got so mad when she said that and I stepped out of line and followed her and I told her she shouldn't treat customers like this, she then looked at me and sighed and said "how can I help you", I then explained the situation to her and told her I didn't have the money to pay (I am a 17 year old girl that just got back from a vacation in Florida, of course I spent all my money) and she told me there was nothing she or anyone could do and walked away. I then went to the lad

Spirit is fine if you know what to EXPECT

from Cranberry Township, PA 16066

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

If you fly Spirit, you need to have your expectations set correctly. You get a cheap flight, with no frills, and lots of opportuities for nickle and diming.

But you get there cheap.

Dont fly Spirit if you have no back up plan. They dont have a fleet of planes to swap out if you have a mechanical issue. Best to take the earliest flight.

Spirit Airlines WORST airline EVER

from Atlanta

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

SPIRIT Airlines is the WORST airline in the country poorly managed. Terrible untrained employees. One of the worst in delays and or mechanical problems.

They have no clue who the boss is maybe when they go bankrupt the lights will go on.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Ticket Price is not representive of actual costs!!!

from Kansas City

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

We booked a flight that we thought was a good deal flying from Kansas City to Orlando during spring break. After we had to pay to sit with each other and pay for carry-on bags (even a purse costs you); this flight cost us $75 more than to fly on any of the bigger airlines. Your ticket does not represent what you will pay in the end!! I would tell every person I know to make sure you add at least $150 to what ever price you are quoted if you plan to stay a week and bring clothes!!!

Uncomfortable seats

from GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Thank God it was a short flight. The seats are tiny and very uncomfortable. I didn't have any fee issues (weekend trip) bare fare is cool. I carried on a back pack. The plane was clean enough, and the staff was very friendly and professional. I dont recommend this airline for flights over 1 and 1/2 hour.

Never Again!

from Maryland

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Me and my husband fly a lot we will never ever fly Spirit again. The baggage rules are ridiculous. We went and bought a special bag 17 inches by what ever it was, and it changed to 16 Inches. 40 pounds not fifty if your bags are to big to heavy they charge you a fortune. Don't even get a free beverage. NEVER WILL FLY THEM AGAIN.

Spirit Airlines Ruined My 50th Birthday Trip

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

I booked a trip from Atlanta, GA to Cancun, Mexico from April 11, 2016 through April 14, 2016 through Expedia. Twelve hours before my flight was scheduled to depart from Atlanta, Spirit Airlines sent me an email informing me that my flight was canceled. I called them and they only offered me a flight which would get me to Cancun the following day. Since that was unacceptable I called Expedia and asked if they could find me an alternate flight. Their customer service was terrible and kept putting me on hold, then ultimately hanging up on me. After 3 hours of trying to get their help with no success I decided to cancel the trip. I received a refund from Spirit Airlines but haven't gotten anywhere with Expedia regarding the hotel portion of the refund. They keep telling me that I did not give proper notice to qualify for a refund. I finally got through to a manager named Daphne on Sunday but still have not received my refund. I feel like they stole my vacation and my money. This has been going on for 8 days now.