1.6

Pros

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:
    • I received a sample (13), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

Fly for CHEAP...but expect your flight to change!

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**. ...Read complete review

Do you like to travel?   Do you cringe when you see airline ticket costs?

Then check out www.spiritair.com and join **Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club**.  It's free!

After joining the **$9 fare club**, you will receive weekly emails with all of Spirit Airlines deals.  Deals range from airline tickets, to travel packages, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc.

I check out my emails every week.  About six months ago, I got an email to fly one way to Myrtle Beach for $2.00.  WOW.  I checked out the dates and figured "why not?".  For $2.00, how can you refuse?

So I booked a 5 day trip to Myrtle Beach for my daughter and I.  The total cost of two round trip tickets was $89.60!  Can you believe that?  TOTAL!   Most of the cost is for taxes and fees.  How exciting.  I email my flight itinerary to my cousin, who lives there, so she can pick us up from the airport.

About two months later, I received an email saying that my flight has been changed.  So I check it out.  Now, not only do I have a layover in New York LaGuardia but my flight leaves 6 hours earlier from Myrtle Beach.  Well...that stinks BUT for $89.60 can I really complain?   So once again I email my flight itinerary, since I have someone picking me up.  I'm not happy with the layover with a 4 year old but I can handle it.

Then 3 months later comes another email.  I cringe when I read the subject line.  "Your flight has been changed."  OH NO!  It can only get better, right?  Wrong.  I still have my layover in New York LaGuardia Airport but it's a longer layover and I leave Myrtle Beach another half hour earlier.  That stinks.

When it's all said and done, I really can't complain.  Maybe it was too good to be true at the beginning but it's still a really good deal, right?  Right!!!  I'm going on a 5 day vacation to a warmer climate to visit family for $89.60!

You can't beat that!!!

Jets by Airbus, seats by de Sade

Just last week, while my daughter had her spring break, we decided to fly up to NY to visit my eldest daughter and my 9 month-old grand-daughter.  Well that's not quite right, we decided about a month ago.

Everyone warned us the fares would be savage, and on most other airlines that was indeed the case.  So I visited Spirit Air's web-site and booked the three of us a round-trip ticket for a total cost of less than $700.  I thought that was pretty good, in fact great.

I was under no illusions.  I've flown this airline before.  Okay, so in the last year it's become a la carte.  You pay for everything save the lavatory (give them time).  But I could deal with all that.

I was happy to learn that they had scrapped the old MD-80's in favor of the Airbus 319 and 321.  The MD-80 is a pretty old jet and Spirit's were older than dirt and pretty threadbare.  I was sure the Airbus as going to be a big improvement.

**Our Experience**

Right up until we got to our seats everything was more or less uneventful.  You know, typical airline stuff.  Our Airbus 319 was so new it smelled like a new car.  So, what could possibly go wrong?

Let me ask you.  How many human bodies do you think you could possibly cram into a jet?  To say the seating is tight is a massive understatement.  Sitting in an upright position my knees were jammed into the back of the seat in front of me.  Pull down the serving tray?  Not a chance!

To be totally fair to Spirit, the 319 does have 8 seats up front that will accommodate the human form for an additional fare.

I've been on airlines with tight seating.  Southwest isn't particularly spacious.  But I can honestly say that I've never sat in a seat that was as painful as this one.  There is something at the bottom of the seat-back that juts into your tail-bone and then just goes to town on it.

Could it have just been my seat?  Certainly possible, but being Rudi Xeno I felt I had an obligation to investigate.  I polled all the passengers around me.  It wasn't just my seat!  I even talked to the flight attendants when I accompanied my daughter to the lavatory.  They giggled, but they agreed.  These are possibly the worst airline seats flying today.

**My Viewpoint**

My father used to say "cheap is cheap".  I guess you get only what you pay for.  On the plus side, we did get to see our grand-daughter on reasonably short notice and without rupturing our bank account.  My tail-bone I'm told will heal.  But this is not an airline that one should fly if they can possibly avoid it.

Regards,

Rudi

Never again

from Tucker ga

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

I flew on this air line worse ever they wasnt on time plus they dont tell you if u have a lay over u get there and find out wouldnt give refund

Never

from Houston Texas

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

I flew with the and the seats are very uncomfortable. I'm only 5'7 and My legs were not comfortable at all. My flight was delayed over an hour.

Broke My Spirit Airlines

from So Cal

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

I'd give it a zero if I could. I flew on Spirit airlines today, it is ridiculous. We were charged $130 for 2 carry-ons. As you enter the plane, the attendants don't even greet you. Way to make you feel welcome! The seats are horrible, not enough padding - you feel the metal components of the seat. The seats do not recline and have the world's thinnest armrests. The back of the seats you face are just a prison grey metal - classy. No music or even a place to plug in electronics. The tray table is half the size of what it should be. It was disgustingly dirty with crumbs and dried food stuck on it, There was trash from the previous passenger still in the stretch corded "pocket". No monitors or TVs, water and snacks are available only for sale. At one point, I was afraid they were going to charge for the use of the lavatory. During the flight, a flight attendant goes down the aisle with Spirit credit card applications. Really? The attendants generally don't even make eye contact with you. Can you blame them? I would be embarassed to be working for Spirit if I were them. As I exit the flight, again, not a word from the three flight attendants, they were too busy talking amongst themselves to notice the passengers exiting. I get the "Bare Bones" concept, but this felt like flying through the air in an empty tin can. It is truly the third world country of flying. I will let you decide for yourself. As for me, back to a real airline that acts like it wants to keep your business and where they care about their customers.

Wouldn't let me board

from Muskegon mi

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

My way to Florida was fine... fly attendant was snotty but I'm use to females not liking me. It was my way home, they didn't let me board the plane. I was a few mins behind schedule thanks to Florida slowness. I had to either wait until the following day at 3 PM or pay for another flight. Paid for another flight of course... delta air is amazing! Worth the extra 30 bucks

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Great Customer Service

from Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

My go to airline. Not sure why they have bad reviews!

Horrible Customer Service! Rude, Degrading and LIARS!!

from Bourne, MA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

On a positive note, I flew with Spirit Airlines last year and took my three young kids with me. The flight was wonderful and flawless. The flight crew was wonderful and made for a wonderful flight!

That being said, their customer service is horrible and, absolutely, rude and condensending. Trying to honor my "miles" with them has been a nightmare. First, I'm told that I don't have any miles and that all my miles had "expired". So, I book a trip. A few days later, I receive a notice telling me that I have 15,775 miles that will be expiring. I call to inquire on this and get the complete run around and then transferred to a woman in the "miles Dept". This woman tells me that I actually have 32,929 miles. But, oops, can't use those miles on the trip that I just booked (after I was told that all of my miles had expired). I could, however, cancel my reserved trip and re-book it and I could use my miles at that time. For a simple fee of $413!!! So, I call back and speak to Customer service again and I'm told that there has been NO phone calls from me in the past 5 months. I ask to talk to a Supervisor and Mr. RUDE "JC" comes to the phone and, basically, calls me a liar! Then, after degrading me, tells me "since you booked with "flight flex", you can cancel your reservation online and there will be "no fees". So, he hangs up with me and I go online to cancel my reservation and....guess what? Yup...there's a fee of $413!! I call right back and now I speak with Jeff. So, Jeff tells me, there's no record of phone calls from me for the past 5 months!! What about the 40 minute call that I JUST had with Mr. RUDE "JC".... yah, no record. So, again, I'm a liar!!
I am a professional person who works for a Government Agency and I would never treat the public in the way that I have been treated by this Airline and their extremely rude representatives. They lie!!

What a scam!!! Thieves who claim to be "budget", however, they scam their customers.

Not the best nor the worst

from Ohio

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

We had never flown with Spirit before, but when I saw an offer to fly to Vegas at a very low price we decided to book the trip. Have to say they do nickle and dime you for eveything, on the trip out we did pay ahead for the tiny $9 seat space didn't make that same mistake on the return flight and low and behold we were assigned to the same tiny seats only plus no money out of pocket for them. The seats and the space is so cramped and uncomfortable it was a miserable long 4hr flight from Detroit/Vegas, We probably would fly them again if the price was really low and the flight time was an hour or less as we didn't experience any type of delays

STAY AWAY FROM SPIRIT

from Hershey, PA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Spirit Airlines cancelled our flight from New Orleans to Baltimore 4 hours after the departure time with no explaination. The only options offered were another flight the next afternoon or a refund. With a pesky work obligation, ended up renting a car & driving 20 hours straight. Worst airline custmoer service I have ever experienced in 50 years of airline experiences. I will gladly pay double, triple - whatever it takes to avoid these clowns.

Do not book your flight on Spirit!

from Charleston, SC

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

IF YOU ARE READING THIS REVIEW, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES. YOU MAY NEVER MAKE IT TO YOUR DESTINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recently booked a ticket for myself, my two adult sons and my grandson for a trip back home for a family event. We selected Spirit because of the reasonable cost even though the departure airport was 1 ½ hours from Charleston, SC. The airport location was Myrtle Beach, SC and we drove up there on Thursday, September 14th to spend the night so we would not miss the early morning flight out on Friday, September 15th to Philadelphia, PA.
We arrived at the airport bright and early and waited in line to check our bags. After waiting for 30 minutes, one of your staff started yelling for all of those customers who booked the Myrtle Beach to Philadelphia flight, to move to another line because the flight had been cancelled. We were shocked to hear this. I had been notified by email at 4:45 am that morning but failed to read the email. When we got to the desk, my question was "what are our options?" Your staff member told me to come back the next day which was Saturday. I told her that wouldn't work because my son would lose the cost of the hotel reservation because he was cancelling without 24 hour notice and we would incur an additional night's cost for hotel accommodations in Myrtle Beach. We were also attending a family event that evening that was critical to our attendance.
There were no other options provided by the Spirit staff member. Her explanation for the cancellation was it was due to the hurricane. I would expect that one, two, three or ever four days after that event, but almost a week was hard to swallow. Apparently, the hurricane did not impact the other two airlines adjacent to Spirit because they were ready and able to assist. Ultimately, I booked with Delta Airlines. Needless to say, this cost me a lot more money for my outgoing flight than what I

Spirit Airlines ruined my Birthday

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Spirit Airlines:

Worst experience I've had. First of all I showed up to the airports in both destinations 2 hours early and still ended up late to my flights because of the slow service. Second, I did not buy my own tickets online, my father did, but my father barley knows English so he didn't understand the situations with checked bags. I called the airlines because I was at work with no internet the day before my flight and I told the young lady that I was only taking two small carry-on bags (they were in a gym bag so they really weren't that big) and she said I would only have to pay for one to go to Fort Lauderdale and that's it! I think its dumb you have to pay $57 for one other small carry-on bag in the first place but it was fine I paid anyways. Before I boarded on the plane I asked the two young ladies at the desk if I would have to pay for the bag when I get back so I could get some reassuring, and both of them said no. But when I am at the Ft. Lauderdale airport I go and check in and get in line for security and the lady sends me back for my bags, I told her that three ladies told me I wouldn't have to pay and I even had the ticket to show her that I paid the first time. She ignored me and told me to go back. So I went to stand in line so I could speak to someone and all the lines were crazy long, I was in line waiting for 30 mins when I see a manager walk by. I said "Excuse ma'am, can you please help me with this situation" and she said "sorry I don't help with situations" and started walking away. I got so mad when she said that and I stepped out of line and followed her and I told her she shouldn't treat customers like this, she then looked at me and sighed and said "how can I help you", I then explained the situation to her and told her I didn't have the money to pay (I am a 17 year old girl that just got back from a vacation in Florida, of course I spent all my money) and she told me there was nothing she or anyone could do and walked away. I then went to the lad