Other Laptops:
Sony
VGNSZ450N/C
Sony VAIO Notebook PC

Sony VAIO Notebook PC

Sleek, ergonomic, lighweight, nice screen.....

After having to practically replace every part on my *ell notebook (some twice!) and hold for weekly tech calls to India, I finally had enough and drove to the store to set myself free. My girlfriend loved her Sony, and I was set on either a Sony or an HP.

I came home that day with the Sony VAIO and have never been sorry. It's so lightweight I can carry it with one hand. The keyboard feels great, and the screen is nice. I have only one complaint - the left "mouse" button is a little stiff and thus noisier than I like. (Is that what you call it when your keyboard is built in and you're not actually using a mouse?). Anyway, compared to the hell I went through with my previous *ell computer, I think I can handle this meaningless complaint.

Although I'm a heavy "user," I'm not technically oriented, so you'll have to read other reviews to know if the specs are to your liking, but there are several models so I'm sure you'll find one you like. I think you'll be really happy to have a VAIO. ;-) I sure am!

**Update #1:** Shortly after writing this review, my Vaio slipped out of a soft briefcase and tumbled down 2 concrete stairs onto a concrete garage floor. Ouch. It no longer looks as beautiful, BUT has continued to work normally since then, for which I am utterly grateful. Now if anyone has a clue how to get scratch marks off my notebook's cover, please let me know. ;-)

**Update #2:**  By Nov 2007, I was having a serious issue and still haven't figured it out, in a month's time.  Could be a bug, but not sure.   My Vaio suddenly has a conflict between Norton anti-virus and the wireless router and also takes about 15 min to fully turn off, or turn on.   When and if I get this resolved, I'll post again!   For now, I'll leave my next comment up, in case this is not Vaio's fault..........

**Update #3:**  Dec 2007, Vaio's hard drive had to be replaced (after a year and a half), and then it ran like a champ again.  Can someone tell me if this might be related to the trip down the stairs?   I am happy again, and the bill for replacement was far less than buying a new computer.

Bottom Line: ***Libby Loves It!***

Good hardware, poor service, poor support.

I purchased the Sony Vaio VGN-SZ480N when my previous computer failed. I shopped for about 6 months before making the decision of what computer to purchase and settled on this one. The size is great for travel. The screen is large enough to use and not feel cramped but still fits in the spaces I need it to. The bag required to carry the computer is small enough to still be a carry-on and hold the other stuff I want with me. The hardware is good. Brand names on most everything, but not the best quality. The case is well-built, but there are spaces at the joints that are a little too large for my taste. The materials contribute to an expensive, well-built appearance and a refined look. The monitor is good, but has color variations along the bottom edge that are a little too obvious on white or other solid colored backgrounds or screens. The service has been atrocious. I had software failures immediately. The operating system seemed ok, but the Sony backup and administration software crashed every time I tried to use it. Sony support was helpless but did send me a set of backup system restore disks. I had a hardware failure inside of 4 months owning the system. I had purchased in-home service, and after 6 hours on the phone with Sony they determined that it was a hardware failure and dispatched a repair person. Keep in mind tha tonly about 45 minutes of the 6 hours was actually used talking to someone, the rest was in phone menus and hold times, or in calling back after being hung-up on. The in-home service person attempted to repair the system, but the wrong parts were shipped. He failed to put the computer back together properly, leaving a huge gap in one side of the case. The second time he had to reschedule 4 times and send someone else. This repairman didn't know what he was doing, didn't have the right parts, and managed to damage the keyboard, LCD screen, scratch the case and corrupt the hard drive. To repair this damage took 5 calls to Sony, three letters to the office of the president and shipping the computer back to the repair depot twice. The repair depot called and argued with me over the damaged keyboard. I had the office of the president of Sony USA agree that the keyboard was damaged, yet they almost refused to replace it. So after all this, the computer has been rock solid. Next time, however, I am going straight to the top. No dealing with the tech support.

from https://www.viewpoints.com/reviews/new?p

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Lightweight
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display
  • Quiet

Cons

• Short Battery Life

• Business Use
  • Web Browsing
  • Word Processing

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

I have purchased 7 laptops (HPs, Toshibas) in the last 6 years. Five of them actually qualified for Best-Buy's replacement policy. In other words, they were in for repairs I love my sony vaio computer is small enough to still be a carry-on and hold the other stuff

• Primary use:
  • Business

Hello how is everyone today my first time here a bit shy

from Perrysburg, NY

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

My man has the same and it is really sweet i like the side bars and how you can add and delete wat you want and dont want. Right now i have how many days it is till my son b-day he likes that. I like how big the screen is it helps wit my eyes. For this being my first lap top it is really great.

great value

from Canton, IL

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

found this one at wal mart the day that vista came out and was shocked that wal mart had a sony. amazing little machine for the price.I have a seperate portable hard drive with most of my music and photos on it and as long as the computer itself isn't bogged down with all of that it's incredibly quick.

This laptop is GREAT for students

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

I love my sony vaio. I go to school 3/4 and work full time. The style is great and it fits my needs perfectly. Definately can't go wrong with this one! It's sleek and user friendly. I don't like vista very much, but I've gotten used to it. I have the larger screened one, and it's perfect for viewing movies while doing my homework at the same time. I haven't encountered any problems withh it, so far. You'll be pleased with this laptop. It is also very travel friendly, slim, and fits right in my  backpack without any problems!

Good hardware, poor service, poor support.

from Tempe, AZ

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

Small, light, great battery life; a joy to own.

from South Pasadena, CA

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

With respect to the Sony Vaio VGN TXN15P, I couldn't be happier. It only has the Intel Core Solo processor, but that's part of the reason why it has such great battery life. Particularly if you avoid heavy CD/DVD usage, you can easily go 5 hours on the battery charge, as long as you're not at max brightness. The built-in Sprint wireless connection works great, so I no longer pay for internet access at hotels. It comes with only the basics of office applications, but I used Open Office (openoffice.org) for free, and it works great. Everyone on planes is always envying me, and it's less than 4 pounds, which is also great.

Light computer but not durable

from New York, NY

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

I had a Sony Viao. I liked it at first but the battary got cosiderably worse over time and there was no memory for the computer.Eventually the memory filled and the computer totally broke. There is no way to use a VIAO without the use of an external hard drive.

awesome computers

from Nuevo, CA

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

My husband has this computer and I think the brand is a good one.  He hasn't had any serius problems with his computer, except for the fan going out, and it's fast and reliable.  I would recommend this brand, not sure about the laptop but the brand is a good one.  We are happy with our choice and hope that you research the brands well before you choice one as computers are expensive and cannot be returned.

Great for the Price!

from Bridgeport, OH

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

First Vaio that was under 1000.00 and I got it on sale after Thanksgiving last year. Fast, has a large memory. Pretty light weight. Great picture quality. Has a dvd burner. Great as a second computer that you can travel with. I always swore I would never get a laptop. I'm a PC user but it's nice to be able to have wireless internet and take it with me on trip.

light weight, fast and easy to use

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Sony VAIO Notebook PC:

This is an awesome laptop, it is light, and easy to carry. It is super fast and seems like I am always connected to the internet. all the software was easy to use and I it was extremely easy to start using I connected to the internet instantly. the downfall to the computer is that the battery life is very short. Even when it is fully charged I have to make sure I have my ac cable with me to recharge.