Other e-Readers:

Sony Reader Pocket Edition

Pros

Cons

• Readability:

I never leave my house without it

I am an avid reader, and this past winter I was interested in purchasing one of the new digital e-books. I had heard great things about the Kindle, but I knew I didn't need all of the bells and whistles it came with. That's what is great about the Sony pocket e-reader. It's easy, simple, and compact, and I never leave my house without it.

When deciding between the Kindle and the Sony, I was looking for something that would serve its sole purpose: providing a library of digital books at my fingertips. A lot of the Kindle features I knew I wouldn't need... I don't highlight or take notes in the margins of books, therefore making the large keyboard at the bottom somewhat useless. The Sony e-reader is perfect for anyone like me, who reads for leisure and is always on the go. No frills or extra features needed, just books.

I recently went on a ten day vacation, and I didn't have to worry about recharging the reader at all. The battery life is great! I read about every day and the battery power only decreased to 50%. The screen visibility is excellent as well. I was able to see the text clearly when outside in the sun and indoors as well. I also purchased the case for the reader which comes with a handy snake light to make late-night reading an option as well. Overall, I would highly recommend the Sony e-reader to anyone who wants a quick, easy book on the go.

Basic, compact, does what it needs to do, no-frills reader

**THE GOOD**

**THE GOOD**

- This is a very nice device that is really easy to read on. The screen has almost no glare and is much more comfortable on the eyes than the Sony Reader Touch Edition.

- It is very lightweight and compact.

- It feels very sturdy.

- It is compatible with my favorite ebook reader software (Calibre).

**THE BAD**

- The screen is a little on the small side.

- Does not play music.

- Does not handle pictures.

- It comes with a neoprene sleve instead of a proper case. I recommend storing it with the USB connector facing out of the case so that you can charge it and transfer files with the screen protected.

**THE UGLY**

- I have downloaded some books from project Gutenburg. They are probably not formatted correctly, but they run SLOW.

- I downloaded the latest version of the Sony Library software and it felt slow, bloated, and caused my wife's Mac to crash. I quickly unistalled it and haven't messed with it since. The windows version might be better. I think that software may be another case of Sony doing all sorts of DRM kung-fu on PCs.

Don't get this, there are many better e-readers.

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I got this because i figured it cost less than others, and figured since it was from Sony that it would be pretty good. I was wrong entirely. It is clunky to use and not very intuitive. It is also a pain to load books onto, and has less of selection that it's competitors. When you consider these things, the lower price is not worth it.

• Readability:

Great price for a pretty great ereader

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

The Sony Reader Pocket edition PRS-300 is a good ereader if you only intend to read ebooks, text files, and pdfs. It fits easily in my backpack with my other textbooks and I'm not really worried about damaging it because it's quite sturdy.
Sometimes, if the book has images, the formatting will be a bit off and it is kind of annoying to have to keep pushing the next button to get to the text. The screen is non-glare, so reading outside or in bright light doesn't hurt my eyes. And I no longer have to deal with super small print, the magnification function will always make the font a size I can easily read.
Downloading books onto the ebook is super easy too. All you have to do is plug the cord from ereader to the computer, and drag and drop books into the device. From my experience, the ereader can open Word, text files, pdf, and ePUB.
It's great being able to carry a bunch of books with me without having to lug a giant backpack around.
As for glitches, sometimes, if I try to switch pages too quickly, the ereader freezes. It usually fixes itself within a couple of minutes. If nothing happens after around 3 minutes, I've found pushing the reset button to work.

Sony Reader Pocket is a terrific bring along ereader

from NJ

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I adore Sony and always enjoyed their electronics. This Sony Reader was perfect for doing what I needed it to do. I can take the ebooks I have downloaded every place without lugging around a giant book or a huge bag to hold a giant tablet. I actually got this from my mom as a hand me down, since she got the new kindle fire. I only needed something to keep my ebooks in and the ability to take with me. So ever since I was doing a lot of work with reviewing downloaded epub books, I definitely needed something to read them on. The epub format is the type of ebooks that the Sony Reader uses. Most files will work but the main use for this ereader is to use the epub format. Therefore, if your downloading a book from the computer and want to put on your Sony make sure its in epub format. Otherwise, its pretty simple to use.
I would've rank this product higher, but the Sony has its flaws as well. One major issues is that you can not use it in full sunlight or darkness, so taking it outside in a bright sunny area isn't great. I would like to also point out that this is a very simple ereader to use and not complex. Unfortunately, it is the older version and doesn't contain a touch screen like most ereader tablets do, but I still love it anyways. Therefore, I do find this to be perfect for reading books on the go, easy to use, and would mention it to a few of my friends who need a great ereader.

All i need

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I love to read. I love books. I was opposed to the idea of digital books and ereaders at first. I believe books are very important and thought that the paper books themselves important. Too much technology can be bad. I have a problem holding on to things after I'm done with them, books included which meant I was running out of storage space. I got this ereader a few years ago because it was simple to use, had tons of storage and the ability to use multiple formats of books. I love this reader it meets all of my needs, it was verge affordable, compact without losing screen size. I like the fact that the books are easy to load to my library. I can charge it by a wall charger or on the computer. The battery life is great, a charge last a long time. I shopped around and compared the different readers available. Granted, there are fancier ones out there but for the simple joy of reading a book, this is the best choice. The price was very reasonable as well. If I ever get another reader, it will be like this one.

• Readability:

A simple and basic e-book reader

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I received a Sony e-Reader for Christmas 2009. At first, I wasn't sure if I would use it because I didn't buy books at retail price. I usually shopped at library sales or swapped books with friends.

After a little research, I found that there were free e-books in the ePUB format and that the Sony eReader could display PDF files. I was beginning to like my new toy a little better.

The software that controls the eReader is very easy to use. eBooks are downloaded from the internet to your computer and then imported into the software. The software allows you to organize books into categories and decide which books in your library to download into the eReader.

The Sony eReader is easy to use. The main menu shows all your options and buttons on the bottom of the eReader make it easy to turn pages, go back to the main menu or bookmark pages for later reference.

Technology has changed quite a bit since I received my Sony eReader but I still find this little tool a handy way to read books and other documents while traveling or when I want to get outdoors and enjoy some sunshine.

The only problem I have ever had is after synching the eReader with the software. Sometimes it takes the eReader quite a while to start back up and sometimes I have to press the reset button. But, these are only minor.

Battery Life
The batter lasts for several days with heavy use.

Book Choices/Variety
Several of the free ebook sites offer the ePUB format.

Readability
I purchased a case with a reading light. Makes it much easier to read.

Sony e reader Pocket Edition

from Gainesville, MO

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I received my Sony E Reader Pocket Edition for my birthday one year. I really loved the ease of reading books on it. The drawbacks were no back light so I couldn't read in bed while my husband was sleeping and I didn't like having to tether it to my laptop every time I wanted to download a new book.

Perfect for those who want a general 'No Frills" ereader

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

The Sony eReader is perfect for those who want a general 'No Frills" eReader for reading books on the go. I have owned one for three years now and it is still working beautifully -- just have to remember to add books before leaving town, as unlike the newer models, Wi-Fi is not an option. The eBook store is accessible via computer and well stocked and I can find free downloadables quite easily.

Battery Life
The battery charges via a USB to the computer and I have found that an overnight charge every two weeks is all I need.

Book Choices/Variety
The variety in their store is great and they run specials DAILY!!!

Readability
I wish it had a back light, but for the price, it reads well.

Super easy to use, not confusing at all.

Sleek looking, mine is silver (not sure if they all are) thin and lightweight

As I mentioned, I have had mine for three years and dropped it numerous of times. Still kicking!!!

• Readability:

Good enough if you're new to technology but iPad better/faster

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

Got this for myself. Used for 2 months before I gave it to my dad. I'm used to being able to do/find/move quickly and the program was too slow and clunky for me. My non-tech savvy Dad enjoyed it while traveling but says he still prefers physical books.

Readability
Easy enough to read the screen but it seemed my eyes got tired quicker when reading on the plane.

The time it took to turn a page or run a search wasn't quick enough for me which is why I got an iPad instead. But the simple buttons worked for my dad. Did have a bit of trouble getting it set up with my iMac; had to call tech support. Should've been an easier set up in my opinion.

Reader got dropped twice from sitting position onto hardwood floor but showed no damage or changes in use.

Archaic by current technology

from Polk City, FL

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I bought this product for my daughter last Christmas. It is utterly archaic. It does not have the functionality of other ereaders. It is big, bulky, clumsy and definitely not user friendly. I found it to be generic. It is unimpressive and get very low ratings from me.

• Readability:

Biggest selling point is size

from New Albany, IN

Comments about Sony Reader Pocket Edition:

I've owned my Sony E-Reader pocket edition for just over a year and half. Overall I find this to be a solid e-reader. The smaller size fits easily in my purse and in my larger pants pocket so it can easily go anywhere with me. It has five different text sizes. I usually found that medium was a good compromise between ability to read and not feeling like I was turning the page every few words. Due to the reduced size, it is very light and can easily be held with one hand while using your thumb to turn the pages. The number of books it can hold is extensive. I have easily 1,000 books and have not yet reached capacity. Battery life is good. I am a voracious reader and have found that it will last just over a week. The reader has lasted easily three plus weeks with light reading. The one major flaw of the reader is the Sony library software. It's difficult, clunky and barely usable. I quit using it a long time ago and have started using Calibre Ebook library. It is much more user friendly and I've found it doesn't freeze as often as the Sony software. The software on the reader itself is very basic as well. Bottom line, you can get a more feature laden ebook reader for not much more, but if you are looking for a device that you can carry pretty much anywhere with great battery life, then this device may work for you.

Battery Life
Extensive reading will last just over a week. Light reading almost a month.

Book Choices/Variety
Covers most formats including rtf, pdf, and epub.

Readability
The small screen size can make reading really large text difficult.

The device is easy to use. The software on your PC not so much.