View more video game consoles

Other Video Game Consoles:
Sony
SCPH-50001
Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console

Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

The Playstation 2 was enjoyable and amazing....while it lasted.

I loved my Playstation two a lot, derspite some of the difficulties in its later life. The original game console was bigg and kind of bulky compared to the later ones, but it had a higher resolution, and could play better graphics without freezing, better than the other slim console. The PS2 had some of the best games, and I played the for hours nd hours on end.  The original PS2, though a bit more bulky than the later slim version, was very very durable and, for me, survived a few falls, for a few years afetr we bought it. Eventually, though the poor little, well, big, device started having problems reading disk occasionally. With time, and playing it too often and too long sometimes, it eventually just overworked itself, to the point where it could not even read a new disk, one without even one scracth or a smudge on it. It started with the ones with a few scratches, but, finally, 2 years after owning it, sometime after the slim version was released, the big device, which I had enjoyed so often finally broke down, and just wouldn't read anything anymore.One of the greatest newer features, when it first came out, was actually the ability to watch DvDs on it, or listen to CDs. For the time it was released, it was an amazingly diverse little game station, a place where you could do more than just play games with a friend.A drawback was the fact that there were only two slots for a controller, while other game staions could have up to four. I you want to play with more than one person, you have to go out and buy a special device that then let's you hook up an additional few players, though the extra money can be a bit of a drawback.Despite some of the flaws, it was still a fun game station, and I love it still, even though my own is unoperable at the moment. I would actually even consider trading in my slim version, for an original version, because the graphic resolution is better.

15 YEARS OLD BUT STILL WORKING

The PlayStation 2 can stand on its side or lie flat to fit any space. And once it is installed into your home theater, you'll be treated to a reasonably sharp picture and high-quality sound. The PlayStation 2, like every other console, has a composite A/V cord in the box, which you use to connect the console to your TV. However, S-Video and component-video connectors are also available separately if you'd like to improve the picture quality. For surround-sound audio, there's a built-in optical digital audio jack. With recent graphics library updates,
SO IF I RECOMMEND YOU THIS IF ONLY YOU WANT TO PLAY THE OLD GAMES BUT ATHER THEN THAT IDONT RECOMMENDED TO YOU.

15 YEARS OLD BUT STILL WORKING

from RIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA

About Me Hardcore Gamer

Pros

• Easy To Set Up
  • Fun For All Ages
  • Lots of Game Choices

Cons

• Breaks Easily
  • Freezes Up
  • Nothing New
  • Poor Game Selection

• Kids
  • Sports Games
  • Teenagers

• Was this a gift?:
  • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Rest In Peace

from united states

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

I am sad to hear that the Sony Playstation 2 is discontinued. I have been rocking this gaming system for years. It is exactly what I need for the types and styles of games that my friends and I play. I have owned my Sony Playstation 2 for a number of years now. It has outlasted two of my husbands XBOX 360s. I do not know what I will do once my Sony Playstation 2 dies (and let's be honest here, 10 out of 10 gaming systems die one day). I plan on riding this one until the bitter end.

Graphics Quality
When the Sony Playstation 2 was first released, the graphics were great. Today, not so much. I can see why there have been upgrades in gaming consoles over the years. However, that is not something that I am too concerned about as I use my Sony Playstation 2 for games such as Guitar Hero and RockBand.

Game Variety
When the Sony PlayStation 2 was first released, there was a variety of games offered on this console. Today, manufacturers are no longer creating games for this console.

My childhood right here.

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

The PS2 is truly an amazing console no matter what age you are. There's a huge variety of games to play, it can play DVDs which was amazing around the time this product was released, and it isn't all that pricey (compared to today's consoles, accessories, and game costs).
This lasted me close to seven or eight years and I played it frequently. Towards the end I had to move in all these funky positions and press hard on the console in certain areas for it to read a game properly but hey, it still worked!
Even though we have all these new consoles like the Xbox One and PS4 was just released, and sure the graphics on the PS2 are a joke compared to them but I'd STILL recommend this over anything -- especially if you get it for a young kid as his first console.

Graphics Quality
Depends on the game, but in general, colors are fine and there's smooth transitions.

Considering me, not the most technology savvy kid out there, was able to turn this thing on at age 9-10 and play some games immediately with no trouble says that this thing is beyond easy to use.

I remember getting very angry one day and pulling on the controller (back then it wasn't wireless) and the PS2 went flying forward and fell. It ended up jamming so I took it apart and messed with the CD slot a little bit and ended up hitting the right thing and worked fine after that, quite the relief.

Still Great

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

Even though it has been many years since it first came, I was probably about 10 when it came out (now 21), it still is my favorite game console ever made. The games now bring back fun memories of my youth and it is amazing to see how far gaming has come since then.

Whenever I need to sit back on a Sunday afternoon and get away from my day to day life it nice to know my game system is still here to see me through. It still works as good as the day I got 11 years later. There are not many consoles out there that you can say that about.
Love the ps2 forever. Live on.

Masterpiece

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

The PlayStation 2 was one of the most successful video game consoles of all time, so successful that it still releases games to this year. With a total of 3870 released games as of June 2013, it has achieved the most extensive video game library to date, releasing its first games back in the year 2000. On its release, it boasted new features such as backwards compatibility with PS1 games and the ability to play DVDs. The PlayStation 2 has sold over 155 million units worldwide as of March 31, 2012. It has a sleek design and later released an incredibly compact slim edition. Furthermore, it boasts a fantastic controller design with fantastic button, trigger and analog positioning. They also had great accessories such as the EyeToy, remote control, and music accessories like microphones and guitar hero guitars. Overall, the PS2 is a great video game console and is a must have for any avid or casual gamer.

the console god

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

it made the gamecube and the xbox look like garbage. this is the only console so far to have dominated the market thus far, and is the most sold console of all time.it sucks that the newer generations can't experience such a great childhood like i did when i was 8. hopefully the ps4 will do really good and maybe it'll even surpass the ps2.

Graphics Quality
the graphics on the ps2 were pretty damn good during that time era. its true that if you compare it to a gaming pc at that time, it might've not look that good,but it still looks better than the xbox and the gamecube.

Game Variety
the ps2 probably has the biggest, and best gaming library out of any consoles that has came out so far.from brutal,gruesome games like god of war, to epic boss battles and emotional gameplays of shadow of the colossus, this console has proven it has some of the greatest games out there.

Controller Comfort
dualshock 2 people.just like the dualshock 1 but much better.need i say more?

put the disc in, then turn on the console. not that hard people.

its pretty durable, not the best but what can i say, it is a gaming console after all.

AWESOME

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

i have a first-generations playstation 2. it was bought for me as a christmas present the year they first came out. it still works, though with a few faults. i love the console. it has a great choice of games to play and it plays dvd's also, which i believe is ahead for its time. i wish they still made new playstation 2's because i would buy a new one in a heartbeat. i would reccomend it to anyone that likes video games.

Still The Best Console In 2013

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

It's 2013 and the PlayStation 2 is still hands-down the best console out there. Obviously the graphics can't compare to a new console, however that doesn't make any new console immune to bad games with worse graphics. In my own opinion, the PlayStation 2 offered up more great games than any console ever has.

Graphics Quality
As long as I have been playing on this console, I have run into very few games that had awful graphic quality. The PS2 is actually quite capable of phenomenal graphics rendering. Simply put the game designers and programmers just didn't have the capability to create a high definition 3D model at the turn of the century. However it's inferiority to the seventh-generation consoles like the 360 in the graphics department, definitely doesn't make it a worse console.

Game Variety
According to Wikipedia there are 3,870 different titles for the PlayStation 2 worldwide. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games]

I have played more games for the PS2 that were a ton of fun, than I have for any other console.

The design of the original thick PS2 is hands-down the best there has ever been. It was a hard plastic shell holding all of the guts inside with 6 long screws. I have had 4 of these consoles since they came out, but not a one has broken (I would take the hard shell off, airbrush a skin on it and sell it after a while). I've dropped them before and they will still play, they're very hard to damage. Never once has one quit playing games for no reason (which has been my experience with some newer consoles).

• Controller Comfort:

This game system has a lot of affordable games!

from Freedom, PA

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

The Play Station Two gaming system is a bit older than most systems out there, but it is very durable. We've had ours for at least five and/or six years and all during that time we have not had any problems with the gaming system.

It is also one of the more affordable gaming system consoles due to it be a bit older and it's a lot easier to come across them at marked down prices. Along with that, there are many games out there that are compatible with the play station two system that are pretty ageless.

ATV Fury Two and Three are great games and are only dated by their music. If you have younger kids who are not into the latest and greatest games and game system consoles, this might be one to look into. It cannot be beat for durability. Our family is pretty hard on electronics, we play them a lot and this system has held up pretty well.

Dance Dance Revolution (one and two) are also great games that can be played on this system. It also may have dated music, but kids sometimes don't notice that sort of thing.

Original Playstation 2. Still working out

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Sony PlayStation 2 Original Game Console:

Most people would switch to the slimmer version of this but this works just as well. The design is pretty good and the ability to play CDs and DVDs are just a bonus. The Dual Shock 2 controller is amazing though a few of mine broke. You can only plug-in 2 controllers so no 4 player action unless you buy an adapter. You cannot beat the classics.