3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Comfort:

Adequate but not stellar budget headphones.

I've had a pair of these for a couple years, and I can say that they are ok noise-cancelling headphones on a budget, but nothing spectacular, and have some notable shortcomings as far as their ergonomics go. The noise cancellation feature is also acceptable, but not great, and probably not as good as advertised. Still, if one is on a tight budget for a pair of noise-cancellation headphones, it would be kind of hard to beat their price.

Sound Quality
I've gotten fairly decent sound out of them, so no complaints here.

Comfort
Comfort is the big shortcoming of these, as they can feel a little heavy, especially if the band is not adjusted just right. To make matters worse, if one wears these for more than a couple hours, they can start to feel more than a little uncomfortable, as the ears can get a little squished, sore, and sweaty.

Although the way that they can fold for storage/transport is nice and seems to reduce the prospect of breakage, it can also be a bit of a pain, as it seems like every time I want to use mine, I have to spend a few minutes straightening the actual speaker muffs out and getting them into the proper position. The location for the battery and the switch to activate the noise cancellation feature are convienently located.

Haven't had any problems in this department, but they seem about as durable as a typical pair of headphones.

Sony MDR-NC7

The Sony MDR-NC7 are a wired headphone set with noise cancellation capabilities. They don't do a great job cancelling out the noise. The box claims an 87.4% (where Sony got such an exact figure beats me) noise reduction but I personally don't think even half the noise was being cancelled. The noise cancellation feature is battery powered by a single AAA battery and it has an on/off switch so you can choose when to have or not have noise reduction. Even though the noise reduction is subpar, these are a nice set of headphones. They are light yet fit snuggly on your head. The foam padding provides good cushioning on the ears but prolonged use will make your ears hot and sweaty. The sound is clear but the bass is lacking. The unit comes with a nice carrying pouch and since the headphones are foldable, make it great for traveling or on the go. It also comes with an adapter for use in flights. Overall, it is a nice set of headphones but not worth the extra money you are paying for to get the supposed noise cancellation.

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I bought these headphones mostly for traveling. I don't like the little earbuds at all and prefer a nice set of comfortable headphones. These headphones are very comfortable and I love that about them. You can wear them for several hours and not have any pain or discomfort from them. They're very lightweight especially compared to some other headphones I've tried. I love how these fold up so nicely so you can store them easily when you're traveling. The price was also pretty great for these, I got them on sale and I would say they are very affordable. I do have a few small problems with these headphones, but they are very minor and would not stop me from buying them. The sound quality is not as awesome as I wish it was. Now for the price I think it's great, but it would be nice to see a little bit better sound quality. The noise cancelling function could be just a little better too. It does work for some things but not for really loud noises. Overall I love these headphones for the comfort and portability and would recommend them for those reasons especially.

• Comfort:

Adequate but not stellar budget headphones.

Sound Quality
I've gotten fairly decent sound out of them, so no complaints here.

The Sony MDR NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones work well

from Skokie, IL

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I have used the Sony MDR NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones in an airline flight and they work well for noise cancellation. The seal on the headphones over the ears filters out most but not all of the extraneous noise. Noise cancellation is done by the headphones emitting low level white noise. While this does not eliminate the extraneous sound, it makes it much less noticeable, permitting the listener to enjoy music in an environment with loud extraneous noise. These headphones work great on airline flights and could be used while cutting a lawn.

Sound Quality
the sound quality is very good for a noise canceling headphone. Compared to traditional high fidelity headphones, the sound quality is not aas good.

Comfort
I wore these during flights of up to 2.5 hours with no problem.

They do what they are designed to do, which is to mitigate extraneous noise.

There has been no problem with regular use.

Not worth the headache

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I bought these thinking I was going to get a great set of noise cancelling headphones for a decent price. Little did I know, the "noise cancelling" was actually pumping white noise in the background - and boy, did it give me the headache of a lifetime!
I tried them again without the noise cancelling turned on, and got the same result - a splitting headache. Not only that, but the sound was awful - worse than my Skullcandy Skullcrushers (and those were abysmally inconsistent). I listen to music with my headphones, so that's what I based this off of.
I know of people that love these, and to each their own, but those headaches were bad enough for me never to touch these again. Sony makes plenty of other great headphones at a similar price point...I'll be sticking to those.

Great gaming headphones

from Baden, PA

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I bought these headphones for gaming. They work great. The sound quality is crisp and clear and more than adequate at reproducing high, mid, and low frequencies. The noise reduction does a fairly descent job at removing constant noises, but talking and other non-constant noises can be heard (barely).

With these headphones on I can hear more things than ever before playin Call of Duty: World At War. It has actually helped improve my gaming because I can tell clearly what direction the noises are coming from. Some nights I will play for hours and they never get uncomfortable.

I would definitely recommend getting these headphones. Sure, there are better out there (Bose) but for the money these are excellent quality.

Sony MDR-NC7

from San Diego, CA

Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Cancelling Headphones are Adequate

from Lakewood, CA

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

Sony's noise cancelling headphones (MDR-NC7) are an economical choice for entry level noise cancelling headphones. They work just fine and the sound reproduction is good.  My difficulty with them is that they are cumbersome to work with, swinging from side to side.  They always need to be straightened out before putting them on.  They only come with a simple bag for storage but are bulking and therefore don't fit well in a laptop case which is how I use them.  Also, I have had problems with the end caps on the ear pieces always falling out.  Embarrassingly, I have to run around with scotch tape over the ends to keep the caps in and this is what is holding the whole thing together.  Another problem is that this type of ear piece sits on top of the ears and does not block out any ambient noise physically which I would recommend to anyone wanting an experience that is not disturbed by those around you.

These Sony MDR-NC7 are comfortable enough to sleep in

from New Braunfels, TX

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

So I bought these Sony MDR-NC7 headphones  from Sony Style after growing weary of my previous Sony headphones, which were very uncomfortable and hurt my ears after short periods of use.  So going into this purchase, comfort was the main necessity, and sound quality was second.  And these headphones pass with flying colors on those two issues.  They were very comfortable when I first put them on, almost to the point you might forget you have them on.  They don't completely surround the ear, they more just rest over them.  The sound is pretty good too.  They somewhat do the job of noise cancelling, but the button for such seems to perform more of a bass boost than extra noise cancelling.  Thats just what it sounds like to me.  The set also included the one AAA battery you will need for the noise cancelling.  If you are going to use them for such, don't forget to power them off after using or you will waste batteries, and kill the environment.  You don't want that, do you?

The Sony headphones are OK but could be better for sure.

from Clayville, NY

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I liked the looks of them in the package and what they said they could do, but I didn't get out of them everything that the package said.  First, the sound is excellent.  Decent bass and decent treble.  The sound reduction feature requires a AAA battery that doesn't do a whole lot.  It does tone down outside sounds, but 87.4% is a bunch of crap!  I turned on the vacuum cleaner and most of the song went down the drain. Even on decent volume I could hardly hear the music.  The red light on the side of the headphones is kinda weird, because you're the only one who can't see the light.  It helps to make you look like a geek, though. I love the folding feature of these headphones, but they tightly squeeze your head, making it a little painful after about 20 minutes of use.  Pros are that it comes with a bag for a case and a flight adapter.  They are decent headphones, but I think that Sony could easily have done better with these.

Very good headphones

from Yuba City, CA

Comments about Sony MDR-NC7 Noise Canceling Headphones:

I was looking for the best headphones for the best price and these are the ones I found. These headphones have very good sound qality and the noise cancelation fnction on these works very well. They are compadable with my latop ipod/iphone. Since they are foldable they become very comact to travel with and the included airplane jack is helpful. The headphones are also comfortable around your head. The only prblem I have with these headphones is that they have a low bass, but the noise cancellationhelps bt it could be better. All in all they are very good for the price and are worth buying if you want some nice cheap headphones.