View more DVD Camcorders

Sony Handycam Camcorder

Sony Handycam Camcorder

4.1

I love my Sony handycam!

We bought our Handycam a year and a half ago and we really love it!  I own a MacBook Pro and was having some trouble uploading pictures from the Handycam but was able to get some advice from the Sony and Apple websites and have no problems now.  Even though there are some things that seemed a little tricky, over time, and by reading the manual I have been able to work through any problems or maybe I should say anything I didn't "get" or understand.  The only thing I didn't quite like was not being able to play the mini DVD's on most regular DVD players.  I have had to upload my videos to my computer then burn them to a regular disc to watch.  I have been able to upload my pictures to IPhoto and movies to iMovie and edit them easily.  The best thing to do is get a memory stick to use with the camera as well, for video and photo editing and uploading onto a Mac.  The camera is very easy to use and I love the touch screen and all the little features.  I do wish the zoom on mine was a little more but I think with more money you can upgrade, just depends on how much you want to pay.  However, the picture and video quality is great and is quite clear when uploaded to youtube.  Overall, great quality!  No regrets!

A good cam, not great though

For the price I paid for this handycam, I got my money's worth forsure. Could the camera itself been made a little bit better? Yes. But don't write this off just yet. The zoom on this camera is beyond great, I first tried it out on a family vacation on the balcony of my hotel facing the ocean and I zoomed all the way from the hotel, passed the beach, far into the ocean to zoom into a sailboat which appeared crystal clear on the side screen. I was blown away by the zoom feature on this thing, and the results when watching the finished recorded videos on a TV or computer is fantastic. It seemed like a shot a professional movie from the quality that came out of it. It's a basic camera, very simple, but the buttons are a little bit of an annoyance because they seem to be alot smaller than they are on most other handheld cams. Maybe because they tried to save space on the top and sides not to make the buttons too big or something. The touch screen that flips on the side is fantastic as well, comes in handy if you want to flip and see what you are recording from the front side of it. The filming time isn't that great, I remember filming about 22 minutes then the video stopped recording on it's own, that could've been improved along with the buttons. Apart from those two small things, it's a good cam, very simple and easy to handle.

I love this camera

from Vale, OR

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

This product is very resonable in cost. It is very durable, high quality. Fun to use, my children even use it. I highly recomend this product to everyone includung family and friends. I got this camera as a birthday gift. I love the fact that I can see my videos right from the same disk that i record on.

It was the best Christmas gift I have been given in years

from East Liverpool, OH

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

This product was the best Christmas Gift I had recieved in a long time. It is light weight and compact. It is easy to use. The buttons are clealy marked and easy to find. This camera recorded very clear pictures which gave me a  good experience using it.

Give your eyes a break, capture the world through Sony's eye

from Little Rock, AR

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I had the old Sony Hi 8mm bought in 1998 and was impressed with its quality only now replaced that with the DCR-DVD108. It's sleek and compact. Like its video quality in low light (especially indoor). Just chaning the discs every 30 mins is a bit a of problem while recording my daughter's singing concert that went for about 60 mins. I still have the Hi 8mm which is bit bulky compared to the 108 but records a lot longer. Zoom button should have been where the on/off switch is. So it will be easy for the index finger to access it. I love the 40x Optical Zoom. It's rare to see this kind of zoom in Sony.

I love it!

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

This product is wonderful and easy to use.  The DVD's just pop out and go directly into the DVD player after you've finished recording.  The DVD's only hold approximately 30 minutes of information at a time.  It is so easy and convenient.  I love it.  I purchased the higher priced model by Sony and plan to use it for years to come.  It would be nice to see DVD's which hold longer amounts of recorded time in the future.  I recommend the purchase of an extra battery and handy plug in charger for added convenience.  A+++

Not just a product--a memory maker!

from Thibodaux, LA

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I love that the DVD's can go straight from the camera to the DVD player.  It can perform a few advanced functions (fade-ins, fade-outs, etc.).  However, there is also the basic functions for everyday users like me.  You can even switch the menu from "advanced" to "basic" so that if you're operating it with basic functions, you don't have all those advanced options to have to scroll through.  I do not use it enough at night to justify buying the flash.  So, I was pleased to find when tinkering with it one night that it has a "back light switch" that does give a decent nighttime picture without any external flash.  I actually acquired mine from a friend and I think she was a fool for giving it up (lol)!

Terrible stills - great video

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

If you are looking for a combination device with still pic and video capability, please look elsewhere. You will get much better quality still photos from your old cell phone. The video quality is pretty good though. I wish I hadn't spent the money (even though it wasn't much) on the SD card for the still pictures. I was greatly disappointed in the quality of them and afterwards gave the SD card to my son for one of his video games. If you are looking for a reliable, good video camera, this one might be for you. I am satisfied with mine only because I have a digital camera that works quite well for stills. I wish someone had commented on the poor quality of still photos with this device before I had bought it.

A good cam, not great though

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

Sony should be ashamed of putting thir name on this.

from Morgantown, WV

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

**i bought this camcorder a while back and only kept it for 3 days. Needless to say I was very dissappointed.First off,it is useless in low light conditions. i tried to record in my living room which had 2 lamps on in it and it was so grainy that it compared to a low budget webcam . Yes, i understand it is an entry level cam but it should still have  a clear picture. If they need to cut corners cuz of low costs,they should maybe minimize on extra features....not on picture quality.....it has no light on it whaatsoever...cmon even cheapo cams comes with a light.**

a handy camcorder

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

This is a very nice camcorder that I bought for my family to use. It is great because I am able to record every moment of the day. The camcorder is not as thin as I would like it to be, and because it is a little bit chunkier it is harder for me to travel with it. Learning how to use this camcorder is not hard for me to do. The buttons are clearly labeled and they are easy for me to push. The screen is wide and it is nice because I am able to make sure my lens is pointed in the right direction by looking at it. The side strap that is on the camcorder is very helpful. I am usually moving around a lot as I record, so this helps to keep it from falling out of my hand. The camera has a lot of battery power and  I am able to keep recording for a very long time. This camcorder came with a handy instruction manual as well. The manual is easy to understand and the features of the camcorder are all clearly labeled for me.

I love my Sony handycam!