3.6

Sony Ericsson Cell Phone

3.6

Pros

Cons

I've learned to like this phone

I upgraded to this phone after my Motorola SLVR started to fall apart. What I was looking for in a phone was music capabilities, a decent camera, NOT a flip phone, and something affordable and so after shopping for a while I decided on the Sony 580i. What I do like about this phone: -      It's a slider. I had a regular flat phone before and liked not having to flip it open but I really like the slide function. It takes a little while to get used to if you've had a different kind of phone before but I like that you can still do things on your phone while it's not technically open and the slide function ensures that the phone is small and compact.

- The camera is GREAT! This was my biggest concern when I bought the phone, but I just got back from a trip to San Francisco and took wondeful pictures using the 2.0 megapixel camera.

- Volume options allow you to change volume easily without having to listen to rings get louder or softer. This was a big problem that I had to deal with my other phone because to turn volume down you couldn't use the side controls unless you wanted to hear your ring tone at each volume level (which was inconvenient during class).

- Huge memory for texting. I am a chronic texter and my other phone used to have to be cleaned out when my inbox was more than 50 texts full. This phone has a much bigger memory for texts so I don't have to clean up texts more than once every two or three weeks.

- Color options. I don't tend to like girly phones but I always have pink phones. This was a big selling point for me. They also come in black, white and gray (for the less adventurous)

What I don't like about this phone: - PC only capabilities. I think the phone might be able to work okay on my mac but the salesman told me when I bought it that it's built to work with PCs only. This isn't a big problem because I have both but I prefer to use my mac for everything so to not have the option to load music on my phone through my mac is annoying.

- The themes aren't great. I think there are only two or three options. But you can change the background to a photo so you have more visual options.

- I liked the ringtone options better on my motorola.

- The charger is hard to get out of the phone. It's really easy to plug in but when it comes time to unplug the charger, you really REALLY  have to yank on it. I thought I was going to break my phone at first.

- The "back" button is RIGHT below the call button so more than once I've made the mistake of calling someone when I wanted to go back. This is probably the biggest inconvenience on the phone for me really but once you get used to the phone it becomes less of a big deal.

All in all I would recommend this for text savvy music phone shoppers. After you get used to the phone you will really like it. (especially if you already have a PC!)

Totally not made for the use!

**Sony Walkman W 580I Cell phone**. My daughter got this phone and loved the look. It's sleek, pocket sized, and attractive looking. The music player is easy to use, and sound great with the headphones it comes with. But those qualities cannot carry over to the poor quality this phone was made with.

After having it only 3 weeks the keypads began cracking....and cracking... The colored lights that go off when the phone rings ceased to work. We called our service provider and complained about the keys and they sent out a new one. With in the week she had it the keys began cracking again! Also the light display ceased to work! The Face plate on the phone fell off along with the rubber keypad! The peice that slides back into the phone once you place the SIM card in, refused to go back into place. So, it just hangs there! This review is short and sweet, it's a poorly made phone. Every person I have seen with this phone has the SAME problem, cracking keys! We finally got the sister phone, by Sony, W350a metal keys, no problem!

fun phone

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for almost two years now and have been quite impressed with it. I have used the mp3 player function while doing menial tasks at work, waiting on people, sunbathing, and many other times. This function does run down the battery significantly, as does the radio feature, but you can still get several hours of entertainment from a good battery charge. I bought a separate 2 gig memory card for the phone at Wal-Mart and have had no trouble keeping plenty of good music, ringtones and other sound clips on my phone as well as pictures without maxing out the card. The phone comes with a USB cable so that you can hook up to your computer and download new content or backup what you already have. I have found this feature easy to use and priceless. I nearly drowned my phone at one point and actually lost it once. I was able to plug in the replacement and retrieve all of my saved data. Love it!

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Great phone!

from Alpharetta, GA

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

I've had this phone for over a year and it's great.

The camera quality on the phone is the best I've ever used! The only problem is, if you text A LOT, I wouldn't recommend this phone. The keys will break after a while. Other than that, for calls, camera use, mild texting, internet exploring, and MP3 use, this phone is wonderful. I love it!!

My Sony Walkman phone has become a necessary part of my life.

from Cocoa, FL

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

The W580i is a really great phone. It has a nice big screen, with a 2.0 megapixel camera. The Bluetooth option helps me to stay in touch when I can't stop what I'm doing to be on the phone, and when I'm driving.

It's an okay phone. Have had it for one year & replaced it twice

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

It's a fun phone really. The numeric buttons break easily. Dropping phones is never good but this phone is pretty sensitive. The walkman makes it a LOT of fun. Having to buy a memory card (otherwise it only holds ONE song) is not so much fun.

Cute.

from Abilene, TX

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

This is a nice little phone, for a time. Mine has had a few problems of not sending messages or calling out...you'll have to take the back off the phone, remove the battery, then remove the sim card and put it all back together and it will work. Other than that, it's been pretty good to me.

Very well designed inside and out!

from Brookfield, WI

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

This is a great phone. I have had it now for more than a month and it seems like I am still learning new applications and functions that it has. I strongly reccomend this phone. It looks great too. I dont know if the picture does it justice since the screen is very bright and there seems to be lights everywhere. Well done inside and out. Everything is done great and it is very quality. A GREAT PHONE!

Tiny, great looking phone, excellent battery life, nice screen

from Allen, TX

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

I received this phone as an upgrade from AT&T and loving it so far.  The phone is tiny and look good, great battery life and better than average display screen.  The only problem I have is with the internet button.  I'm not sure if AT&T do this on purpose, but the internet button is located in a spot that you can easily and accidently pressed on it and AT&T will slap you with a charge for internet access.

although the walkman w580i has cool apps it breaks too easliy

from Pleasant Prairie, WI

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

although the walkman w580i has cool apps it breaks too easliy, the screen is very badily damaged and its only been droped a few times. it isn't even a year old, and this is the 2nd time i'm returnin it to get another one... its beginning to be quite agrivating

and because the buttons are broken it can undo the keylock in your pocket and call your most recent called... or it can call the top(or bottom) 5 ppl on your address book.

Worst cell phone ever.

from Portsmouth, OH

**Sony Erricson - walkman w580i Cell Phone**

I have this phone .and it is the worst phone I have ever bought.  I got a brand new pink walkman.  I like the sleek look and color of it, but the phone itself is junk.  It's hard to hear on it, the phone drops calls all the time, it won't dial calls half the time.  The buttons were cracking and when I called the store, I was sent a reconditioned one in place of a brand new one.  The battery doesn't last long and the over all phone quality is not good.  I put a memory card in with some tunes on it and they dissapeared.  I wish I had seen this phone before buyng it, because I would have looked for a different one.  When I miss a call, which is all the time since it wont ring in, it doesn alert me to missed calls.    The camera takes pictures that are blurry and out of focus. We do a lot of texting and the battery has to be charged every night. I wouldn't recommed this phone to anyone.

Great screen & design. Would be perfect w/ flash memory slot

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Sony Ericsson Cell Phone:

I knew someone who used a W600i. That was a feature-packed phone with almost everything you'd want, including a flashlight that was actually very useful once. But it was also very heavy and thick.

So laying my hands on the Sony Ericsson W580i, a slider, for the first time was a pleasant surprise. The phone is sleek, with rounded corners and a curved bottom that screams style. At the same time, the brilliant black finish I chose made sure the phone would be appropriate in every situation in front of any audience. The pink version, btw, is also very pretty.

In any case, the features of the phone were, for the most part, as good as the looks. You've got a big, clear, and colorful screen that's better than most phones. The speakphone is great; the battery life is excellent - if you don't use it it can last many days. The slide is solid, but easy to operate. There's a USB cable in the box for syncing with the computer, although you'll want to pay extreme care to follow the directions, because if you mess it up, you may not get a second chance. Also, the "backup contact" feature actually backs up to the phone, a dangerously misleading and dumb idea. The keypad feels a little flimsy, but not an actual problem the whole time I've had it. The camera, though flash-less, is really good. My friends often try to take pictures with their phones, but give up after seeing how poor the quality is. But mine always come out great. And again, there's that USB cable so you can transfer them to the computer, post online, etc.

The one big complaint I have is the expansion slot. You see, the phone has very little memory installed. So if you put mp3s or take more than a few pictures (did I mention it has excellent sound AND takes great pictures your friends would want?), it'll fill up in no time. But Sony is always proprietary, pushing their own products, so you'd have to pay a small fortune for the Super Micro M2 cards they use. None of the common, cheap flash memory.