Other Digital Cameras:

Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

Wow, wow, wow!

I had been browsing around the web to find a camera that fit my needs and with great reviews. After hours of checking reviews and prices and websites, I decided on the sony cybershot dsc w55. I have not regretted my purchase. This camera takes such beautiful and clear pictures wether by day or by night. It also takes video with sound. It's very sleek and lightweight and has an easy to follow menu. I didn't even look at the manual and I was taking beautiful pictures. It's so easy to use. It's a great value and great price. The only downside is that it only works with sandis duo pro memory cards. I wish it would take others as well but it doesn't. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase and the quality behind the name of Sony.

Maybe I got a Melon?

I bought my camera almost two years ago.  At first it worked great and took pictures perfectly.  Then it started acting up after a few months.  It still works and takes pictures, however it shuts off on me sometimes.  The camera has many settings which are great when my camera worked, however now my camera likes to switch settings sometimes going through them all within 30 seconds refusing to stop on a setting, let alone the one that the wheel is actually set to.  When I do get my camera to stay on the setting I want it to, the camera still works great and takes really good pictures.  Another problem that has developed is that when I press the shutter button to take a picture, many times it does not work and I have to press it many times.  This gets annoying to people posing for pictures, and recently I was on a vacation and lost out of a Kodak moment just because of this problem.  I don't really see the need to get a new camera since the pictures still come out really good.  I'm thinking maybe I got a bad camera out of the bunch, because everyone else seems to love it, but I still wouldn't recommend this camera to a friend because of the problems my camera has developed.  However, if you have purchased this camera, definitely get the warranty, unfortunately the store I purchased mine from went out of business, but if they hadn't maybe I could have gotten my camera fixed.

wow, great camera!

from Stone Mountain, GA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

We had decided to purchase a point and shoot camera (we already have a canon d50 DSLR which is perfection) that my wife and oldest son could easily use and came across the reviews for this one. we purchased it from best buy (where it was also recommended to us by the Best buy associate). This camera has everything we were looking for. It takes great photos for only being a point and shoot and has the added bonus of having video too. this gives us more flexibility when on family gatherings or holidays instead of me having to take all the photos with my canon (and ending up in zero photos). it's easy enough for our son to use and he loves being able to take photos like mummy does.

love this camera

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

This product truly delivers beautiful pictures with very high quality images and performance.Its so easy to use.and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Its so cheap for the quality.I have purchased more then one because at the price it makes for a great gift.

• Portability:

The cybershot W55 is light and easy to take pictures with!

from Riverside, CA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

I"m totally in love with my Sony Cybershot W55 camera! Firstly, the blue color is in a beautiful rich shade. The zoom function works very well and can zoom in on far objects without the loss of sharpness. The quality of the pictures is excellent, and it's easy to charge and transfer pics on to the computer!

Great cameraaa

from southern california, CA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

I had this for two years until I dropped it and it finally after a couple of weeks, stopped working. I loved this camera. It was the first camera I ever had and I loveddd it. I loved taking macro shots with this camera. It took photos really up close and I loved that about it. It took alright photos sometimes, but sometimes they came out very unsaturated or I don't know how to explain exactly. It is easy to take around anywhere and very light. I have to admit though.. the battery I got it with is not the best. The buttons and functions ar every easy to learn and use. There are various different colors available. If you like blue.. they have blue. If you like pink.. they have pink.. etc. I had a blue one and I loved how it looked. If you are looking to take regular photos of family events or parties, I would say you would like this camera. It is easy to use and takes decent pictures. If you buy it.. just don't drop it like I did. ;)

Great!!

from Waltham, MA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

My Sony Cybershot W-55 Digital Camera is the greatest camera that I have ever used!!! It has a 2.5 inch screen which is very great when taking pictures. It has many modes in which u can take pictures so that it could take great pictures whether at the beach, in the snow, at the zoo or whereever u are. I love taking pictures and wasnt sure which camera to buy. I have read many great reveiws about this camera so I decided to give it a shot. And i dont regret it one bit. Takes clear pictures! I would recommened it to everyone that I know!!

I love it, it takes great pictures and is easy to carry and use!

from Auburn, AL

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

This is  a great product and easy to use.  Great for fun pictures and vacations.  I love the picture quality of this cammera and its user friendly feel.  The only set back is the delay between taking the picture and the flash. Sometimes this causes you to miss the picture.  I would recomend this to friends and anyone in need of a small camera for capturing memmories!

I love my camera!

from Fairmount, GA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

I lost my previous camera....and this one was a gift. I love it! It takes great quality photos, I couldn't be happier unless I went with something REALLY fancy. It offers a great variety of settings.....love it! I have only one complaint is that sometimes the delay on digital cameras can cause you to miss a shot. This was the best we could afford and I'm really glad my husband chose this for me. The memory stick is great too!

Was Once Great But Now Outdated

from Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

*Why I Chose Sony - Cybershow W55 Digital Camera: *It's smooth, appealing exterior made it irresistible not to purchase. Also, at the time of my purchase,the Sony Cybershow W55 was one of the newest models. As opposed to the digital cameras I had in the past, its LCD screen was quite large.

*My Experience: *I loved my camera when I first got it. It was compact and easy to carry around. It had nice clarity in addition to various functions, such as the ability to detect faces.

*My Opinion: *Although the camera was once great, it is now outdated. There are many newer Sony models that are better than this one: they are more thinner and smaller, making it even easier to carry around. The LCD screen is not as big as the cameras that have a LCD screen that takes on the entire dimensions of the camera size. Also, most cameras have a megapixels that are 12 plus, which enables the camera to zoom in more from a greater distance. Now that I think about it, the price for this camera (with the availability of the limited functions as opposed to the newer models) is not worth the purchase. If you're looking for a camera that is cheaper and is mediocre, this is a good camera for you. However, if you want a more updated one, with higher megapixels, definitely do not get this one!

Good camera

from Silverdale, WA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

We have had this camera for about 3 years now.  It has been a pretty decent camera for the duration we have owned it.  I think the most annoying problem i have had with it is the shutter time.  It sucks.  It takes about 7-10 seconds to take the actual picture and it can be confusing because it flashes twice, so the person looking at the camera having their picture taken thinks they are done after the first flash.  If you are looking to capture memories that cannot stay still or pose for you, this is not the camera for you.  It has served our two person family very well considering we only use it for posing and exploration picture taking.  We are having a baby very soon and will sadly have to buy a different camera due to the shutter time of this one.  The picture quality is great and we have never had a problem with the video.  Overall, for basic picture taking without needing to capture something quick, this is a great little camera.

Sony W55- Excellent Point and Shoot Camera

from Fresno, CA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot W55 Digital Camera:

I've had the W55 for about four years now, and I haven't been disappointed with it once. I use this camera mostly as a party camera/travel camera. It turns on fast, autofocuses fast, and takes pictures fast. It has an optical viewfinder, something rare in a camera these days, as well as great battery life. I usually leave the camera setting on the automatic preset, as I find it takes the best pictures, but there are plenty of other fun options to choose from as well. The video quality is acceptable for even today, and sound quality through the mic is even better. I've used the camera a couple of times for a school project where I had to film myself or something, and the result was very satisfying. The only thing that I dislike, is that it uses a Sony proprietary port to connect to the computer instead of USB, so if you lose the included cable, it can be expensive and tough to find a replacement. I have my pictures set up as a slideshow on my 40" Samsung TV, and pictures and videos look great. For a compact, cheap, point and shoot camera, the W55 will not disappoint.