3.7

3.7

Sony BDP-S301(S300)- Solid Blu-Ray player

from Waterloo, IA

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

We purchased this Sony BDP-S301(Sam's Club version of the BDP-S300, only difference being the S301 included an HDMI cable) Blu-Ray player fairly early on along with a 40" Sony flat panel HDTV, so as a result, while it has been a very reliable and solid piece of equipment, it does take about a minute to power on and load Blu-ray discs. I think this has improved somewhat with firmware upgrades. It's very easy to use and has a plethora of output options for both Video and audio. Picture quality is excellent on both Blu-ray and DVD discs. It does a very decent job of upconverting DVD to the high definition TV. The remote works well and is very straight forward. It also can control the 40" Sony flat panel TV we have. The old Sony Trinitron TVs were always of the best quality, and these Sony product are no exception. We have owned this Blu-ray player for about 4 years, and I have no doubt it will give us many more years of use!

• Playback Quality:
  • Sound Quality:

Blu ray is the wave of the future and sony is riding high

from Hollywood, FL

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

Sony has really hit the mark with the Blu ray concept. Expect to be using this format long after the Toshiba HDDVD is  just a pricey doorstop. Great picture, and Blu was smart enough to formalize double layer before launch. Poor HDDVDs aer worthless when their DL format comes out.

best picture I ever seen

from Chesapeake, VA

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

My sister purchase a home theather system recently this blue-ray player being one items. let me start by saying its pricie but i have never ever in my entire life seen such a crystal clear picture where the colors are vivid they make you drop your jaw.

Great blu ray player

from Fullerton, CA

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

The sony bdp s300 dvd blu ray player is a 1080p with dvd upscalling via hdmi. I still have an extensive dvd collection that I use my old dvds for but of course have been switching over to blu ray :).  Its pretty easy to use I use the remote , which by the way I wish was backlit but its not too big a deal,  seamlessly with the functions. Picture and sound quality are great. They have played every disc I put in them. Load times of the discs are relatively good don't really an issue from what I can tell. Just make sure you update your firmware if you haven't done it and some disc doesn't work or play. Set up was pretty easy. Hooked it up to and HDMI cable. Note that its not recommended to get the cable at your local electronics store imo , don't really need monster or rocketfish , when you can get it at a considerable discount online for a few bucks with great a/v results. Warranty is 1 year parts and labor but haven't had the need to use that, solid unit recommended.

Sony BDP-S300 is soooo slow

from Madison, CT

Pros

Cons

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

First off, we are early adopters which means that we bought a Blu Ray player very early on.  There was still a battle among the HD players and Blu Ray players and we took a risk.  Thankfully, Blu Ray won and we were happy.

On the plus side, this is a Sony product which to me automatically means quality.  Generally, it is pretty great. The picture is crisp and clear.  It plays most movies and up-converts regular DVD's to increase the picture quality.

Now here is why I rate it so low. It takes about 5 years (okay maybe 3 minutes) to just start this Blu Ray player. We have an ongoing joke in our house that if we want to watch the movie, we have to go warm up the DVD player about an hour or two in advance.  Once it finally starts up, it takes about 1-2 minutes before it opens the CD slot to insert the Blu Ray disc.  Once it's in, it's another 3 minutes before it gets to any screen.

At this point it is totally up in the air whether or not the Blu Ray disc will play.  We've had to update the firmware 3-4 times in the past 2 years.  This is the only way to get some discs to play. If you have never done a firmware update, it can take up to an hour.  Some discs skip, others just don't play.

I do wish we waited longer. I'd bet the new Sony Blu Ray players are a lot better.

Unpolished and slow

from Oyster Bay, NY

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

This is one of, if not, the first Blu-Ray players Sony came out with. I always believe that it's not the smartest idea in the world to be an early adopter of technology and this is the perfect product to prove my point. The good qualities of this machine is that it has amazing picture quality. Now for the cons. Unless you upgrade the firmware on the machine, it does not play half the Blu-Ray discs on the market. For a novice, upgrading firmware is a daunting task. When you do play a Blue Ray disc, you have to face an enormous amount of load time before actually getting to the movie. The player has to boot up, and eject the drive so you can put the disc in (30-45 seconds). Then it needs to read and load the Blu Ray disc (45-120 seconds). Then some movies have another huge load time after you reach the menu and press play (30-120 seconds). This means that you might be waiting up to 5 minutes to start watching a movie. That doesn't sound like much on paper, but it's pretty annoying when you're dealing with it at home. Sometimes, even with the firmware update, the player freezes up and you have to unplug it to let it reboot.

This DVD player shows high definition at its best

from Corpus Christi, TX

Comments about Sony - BDP- DVD Player:

This Blue Ray DVD player has many great qualities associated with it. The player is easy to use and it enables you to use the DVD player at various picture qualities.

I have never had any trouble with Sony products before, so this purchase wasn't a hard decision for me. So far it has been a really realiable High Definition Blue Ray device.