Other Specialty Appliances:
SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker

SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker

Pros

Cons

Convenient home source of Soda anytime, Sodastream is great!

I will clarify. We do NOT drink a lot of soda. If we did, this would save us so much money in the time spent lugging the cans. When we DO buy soda, we buy it in 2 liter containers. (or 3, when available). We usually buy generic, though we do occasionally buy name brand on sale in cans or 2 liters. Cans are good for lunches and trips.

So I did not expect to be overly impressed with this free trial of SodaStream we received as a BzzAgent. We received the model known as the "Jet" which is the lowest costing SodaStream machine. I received the box by UPS and the first thing I noticed was that it had a hazardous sticker on the package. (duh! Of course, I thought, the CO2 canister)

We then unpacked the box. The kids were so excited, because, as I said, we don't DRINK a lot of soda. That doesn't mean they don't WANT more soda. What was included? The machine with one bottle and the CO2 canister. I think it would have been great if they'd had samples of their flavorings in the package, but as we received this for free, I am not complaining. We researched to find out where to buy the flavorings but also figured out ways to try out the machine immediately.

We carbonated water and mixed it with lemonade mix for a fizzy treat. We went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought two more bottles (to always have cold water ready) and some flavors. We loved the Root Beer and the diet Pink Grapefruit. We were also looking into the CO2 exchange program, where you can bring in your used canister and exchange it for a full one for only the price of the gas.

So far we think we are spending about the same on soda if you buy the really cheap 2 liters. If you buy cans or anything name brand you will save a lot more. The convenience is the best part. Feel like having a root beer float? There you go, fresh, fizzy, great tasting root beer. We still haven't used all of the canister we have, but we are ready to buy a spare canister and exchange the empty one as well, so we always have some on hand. I also ordered some of their flavors from their website using their buy 10 get the 10th free. Great deal and you get access to ALL the flavors available in larger sizes.

The ingredients are better for you than you find in some sodas. Less varieties have caffeine, but our family doesn't drink anything with caffeine anyway. They also have a line of flavorings called Naturals as well as flavored waters and energy drinks.

Pros? FUN. EASY. Doesn't use electricity or batteries. Tastes great. No, it isn't your Pepsi or Coke or more 'patented' flavors but you get the great tastes of more generic flavors like fruit, lemon lime or root beer. SO convenient. No more last minute runs to the store if you run out before a barbeque or birthday party. The components are available at many popular retail stores plus you can order them online at lots of different places.

Cons? Kind of expensive to start up but once you have all the necessities it is so convenient. You can't put the bottles in the dishwasher but they are easy to wash in warm water and come clean so fast. This just protects the integrity of the plastic so it can contain the carbonation safely.

I received this product free as a BzzAgent but my opinions are all my own!

Sodastream Fountain Jet soda maker is convenient

The sale prices of cola have been fewer and farther between recently, so I decided to look for alternative sodas. Looking at the reviews for Sodastream Fountain Jet soda makers I thought we would give it a try. Working the numbers, the Sodastream can make soda cheaper that the regular cola prices in our area - but - it is still more expensive that the typical sale prices. This is mainly due to the CO2 canister costs because the syrups can be found on sale at different retailers. The Jet unit works well. It is awkward to screw the bottle into the unit since there isn't any room for your hand to turn it. I found the only way I can handle the bottle is to hold it at the bottom as if I was screwing in a light bulb. Not a huge deal. The Jet unit can take both sizes of the CO2 canisters which may come in handy in the future. (2 sizes: 60 liter and 130 liter) The Jet also uses the plastic bottles versus the glass carafes which seem easier to handle but as others have mentioned cannot be washed in the dishwasher. To compensate for this, we only use the provided bottle to carbonate the water, then pour the carbonated water into another bottle for storage and adding the syrups.

Speaking of syrups, just a note that the two we have tried do not taste like the name brand colas in our opinion. They are similar to the store brand. We'll be looking for name brand syrups.

I recently read an article about Sodastream in a magazine and the CEO stated that they are using the classic "razor" marketing strategy. Basically low profit on the reusable handles but make the higher margins on the blades. Sodastream's approach is to make money on the bottles, CO2 canisters and the syrups. No problem with this approach, just an item of interest.

All things considered, the Sodastream is convenient and if the CO2 canisters last as advertised, it should prove to be a good investment. Not great, but good.

This kitchen gadget is definitely worth the counter space.

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I bought this on a whim when I saw it on sale at Kmart. I am so glad I did. At first, I used the sampler pack of soda flavors that came with the machine according to the instructions. Surprisingly, yes, they really do taste like the real thing. Then, I started to do some experimenting, and that is when I decided this was well worth the money.

If you are trying to cut back on your sugar intake (and not a fan of the artificial sweeteners), you can just use less of the syrup. It really doesn't change the flavor much. Also you can flavor your own soda with fruit juice or fruit juice concentrate. Plain carbonated water can be used as club soda or tonic for mixed drinks. Want more carbonation? Just push the button an extra time or two. Basically you decide what your soda will taste like, and that is pretty cool.

As far as the machine itself, I have been using it for six months (about twice a day) and have had no problems with the quality of the construction. Yes, it is plastic, but it holding up well.

One caution, the water bottle screws on. If not attached properly, there is not a tight seal and the co2 will not carbonate the water. A younger child or someone with arthritis could have trouble holding the bottle at the right angle and turning it simultaneously. Also, the co2 cartridges are expensive and oddly hard to find.

If you like kitchen gadgets (or are tired of carrying soda bottles up three flights of stairs), this one is worth it.

It is a great alternative to Real Soda

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I love this product for it has made my life so much healthier and has saved me tons of money. All around it is easy to use and very cool looking. The air containers can be a bit pricy but the long term benefit is great.

Health- Health is very important to me and this product does not contain aspartame which can cause cancer and is very unhealthy. It also contains a fraction of the calories that other sodas contain

Ease of use- It's very easy to set up. It has a simple button you push at the top for the gas to go into the soda you are making. It only takes 30 seconds to make a 1 liter soda bottle which is amazing.

Variety- The soda stream comes with some many flavors to choose from which taste exactly like the brand soda that you would buy at the store. I have so many flavors that taste amazing.

Design- I was drawn to this product simply by its cool modern sleek design that I blends perfectly into my own house. It is very small so it doesn't take a lot of space up either.

Refreshing

from Rockland, MA

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I received the SodaStream as a gift 2 years ago and have just now really started using it. I was a big Diet Pepsi/Coke drinker and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the flavor that I liked so I let it sit on the counter looking pretty. In November I got serious about losing weight and gave up soda. I quickly got bored with plain water and picked up some Crystal Light and Mio water enhancers and then I remember my Soda Stream. I now use the SodaStream with the enhancers and it makes the most refreshing beverage. I control how much fizz I want as long as the flavor. It doesn't have all the unnecessary additives of the commercial soda it has saved me money to boot! It took me 2 years and a diet to really give this a chance and now my whole family has given up soda. Although I do occasionally like to have a Diet Pepsi/Coke I will always love the freedom of making my own flavors and saving money.

Sparkling fun

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I really cannot find anything bad to say about Soda stream. I got it for my kids because it reminded me of my own soda stream as a kid. I was not disappointed. We have tried the samples that came with it but still love the cranberry and cola best. I also avoid using the flavors sometimes and go natural and create spritzers. The Soda Stream is user friendly and child friendly. The item is easy to clean and you can keep the water cold in the fridge ready for the next creation. Love this product!

GREAT item

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

This item is awesome. It is a great alternative to regular soda. My kids just love it. They can pick their own flavor & make it themselves. The variety of flavors available is GREAT. We have tried just about all of them. The kool-aid flavors are a favorite in our house along with the diet lemon lime. Saves a lot of money, with not having to buy soda at the grocery store.

All depends on motivation

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

How many times have we heard " Soda has more than 8 teaspoons of sugar per can." Or, drop the soda for a year and you'll also drop 20 pounds? I used to be so guilted by my soda consumption that I vowed to dump it from my food intake entirely. That was somewhat tough for me after a while. Water is good but every now and then, I wanted a little carbonation. I found a great compromise with the SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker. It is really awesome to experiment with. I can use mio, crystal light, flavor aid, concentrated juice and other flavored drops to make all sorts of new flavored sodas. As far as the price of the cartridge refills, I have to be honest when I say that it can get expensive if you aren't careful. If saving money on soda products is your main motivation for purchasing this product, would have to say I don't recommend it. But, if you are doing it for other reasons like to cut back on sugar you would be traveling in the right direction. I like this product most of all because it has given me my power back when it comes to my fluid consumption. I now feel better about my childrens fluid consumption as well. As I stated above, It all depends on your motivation for purchasing it whether it would be a good option for you or not. For me and my family, it is a good fit.

Love this!

from Plymouth, MI

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

This make your own soda thing is awesome! I bought this shortly before Christmas. It came with a sampler pack of 4 different sodas, and 3 regular size cranberry flavored. It is soooo easy to use, and the carbonated cran raspberry is my favorite! I love how you can control the amount of flavoring going into your bottle. If you can find a good deal, then buy one! You'll love it! At first it was a little bit confusing trying to work it. You have to get the liter bottle to fit perfectly to screw it on. I actually lowered my eye level to be exact with the threads and then got the feel of how to screw on the bottle. Now it's a snap, but until you do it once or twice, it can be a tad bit confusing. Also, when you carbonate your water, the directions say you will hear a loud buzz. I heard no buzz. I just pushed the button, held it for 1 second and let go. I did this three times to carbonate my water, and it worked very well. Finally, when you add your flavoring, screw the cap on tightly and gently roll the bottle end over end. DO NOT SHAKE! It IS a carbonated beverage. My 8 year old discovered this the hard way ( along with my cupboards and ceiling). Enjoy!

The best thing I ever got. My sodaStream Fountain.

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

You save a lot on the cost of soda and seltzer water. Also it's good for the environment you get reusable containers to use instead of wasting cans. You can make your drink as fizzy or non fizzy depending on your taste. And there are lots of flavors you can choose from.

Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I had seen some commercials for Soda Stream and was immediately intrigued. We are huge soda drinkers in my house. Well, I am. I pick and chose when my kids get to drink it. So I asked fro one for my birthday and was thrilled when I got one! We absolutely love our Soda Stream! It's quick and easy and even the kids can do it. It saves us so much money on soda!

We do a ton of entertaining and it's perfect. I put it on the counter with all of the different flavors and the kids get to pick which soda flavor we make. It becomes a huge focal point at all our parties. And I now feel better about my kids drinking beverages made with the Soda Stream. It doesn't have to be a sugary drink! There are teas and even Kool Aid flavors.

There are so many flavors to chose from, everyone will be able to find a favorite. And Soda Stream continues to come out with more flavors. I love that there are so many diet flavors as well.

Envirormently friendly

Comments about SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker:

I love this product. I have a bad back so hauling pop from the store is hard for me. The biggest plus is that I am not throwing bottles and cans in the trash. The product is easy to use and the whole family loves it. There is a wide variety of flavors to choose from so everyone is happy.