3.8
Smart Balance
Smart Balance Margarine

Smart Balance Margarine

3.8

Smart Balance Buttery Spread: Smart indeed and great tasting!

I love butter!  I love eating it on some toasted bread and I love cooking with it.  There's nothing like sauteing shrimp in butter.

But then, butter is high...Read complete review

But then, butter is high in saturated fats.  In fact of the 11 grams of fat in a tablespoon of butter, 7 grams, or nearly 2/3's are saturated.  Not good.  Not good at all.

In the 1950's, margarine became a popular substitute for butter.  Saturated fat was largely replaced with polyunsaturated fat.  Made primarily from vegetable oils it was thought to be the healthy alternative.  No one seemed to understand that the need to hydrogenate the vegetable oils in order to solidity them might have any ill effects.  Of course we didn't know about trans fats in those days.  Common margarines were just loaded with them and apparently a good portion of the medical/nutritional community now feel that maybe butter was the better of the two alternatives.

But besides, I've never tasted a margarine that could really take the place of butter. These taste-buds can tell the difference.

**Smart Balance Buttery Spread**

A few years ago along came **Smart Balance Buttery Spread.**  A non-hygrogenated blend of plant based oils rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and plant sterols, it claimed not only to be less harmful than butter or margarines but actually good for your heart health.  It lowers LDLs, raises HDLs and lowers your triglycerides.  What could be bad?

**The Taste?**

How does it taste?  Manufacturers have known for years that they can engineer healthier foods.  But frankly if they don't taste good, they plain don't sell.  End of story.

Well, the good news here is that Smart Balance Buttery Spread tastes great.  It tastes like butter.  It spreads like butter.  It even cooks and bakes like butter.  If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do.  It's that good.

**Corroboration**

It's one thing for manufacturers to make claims for their products.  Heck, Camel cigarettes used to claim their product was endorsed by doctors to calm your nerves.  But, in the case of Smart Balance Buttery Spread, nutritional researchers at Brandeis University endorse this product.

**My Viewpoint**

This is a buttery spread that will have you believe that you're really eating butter.  And while you're eating it you'll be doing your heart a favor.  It is very widely available in supermarkets nationwide.  I recommend it highly.

Good eating,

Rudi

You have got to be kidding- Smart Balance is smart?

Okay, butter has two ingredients, cream and salt.  Smart Balance has the following:

Water, natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola and olive oils), contains 2% or less of salt, veletable nonoglycerides and sorbitan ester of fattery acids (emulsifiers), soybean leacithin, potassium sorbate, actic acid (emulsifiers), soybean lecithin, potassium sorbate, lactic acid (to preserve freshness), natural and artificial flavors, calcum disodium EDTA, vitamin E(DL-a-tocopherol acetate), vitamin A palmitate, bitamin B6, vitamin B12, and Beta-carotene color.

The fact is they put just enough vitamins in so we overlook all the chemically produced ingredients derived from corn and soy.  These products have been shown to mess with hormones and brain function.  Not so smart...

Yummy!

from Shelbyville, KY

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

Great product, my family loves it! Affordable and healthier than real butter! I buy these when they go on sale with a coupon and stock up. It freezes well and we don't ever pay full price. It is kind of pricey if you don't catch it on sale though. Just use a coupon.

Not all margarines are healthy--stick with this one!

from Miami Beach, FL

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

Many margarines are pretty unhealthy, with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils added in.  These are considered "trans fats", the deadliest type of fat.  Smart Balance spreads nicely, tastes good, and melts fairly well on your cinammon toast!  Beware of any product with trans fats.

A triumphant of marketing and perception over reality

from Denver, CO

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

I assume there are two primary reasons why people buy soft margarines: a) the softness and spreadability itself, and/or b) desirable dietary qualities, and possible impact on their health. And a third may be taste, although few who've acquired a taste for margarine over real butter seem to want to admit it.

So, where does Smart Balance fall on this three point scale? Near the low end, I'm afraid.

Having an extremely healthy cholesterol profile -- my doctor once remarked that my LDL reading is the lowest he's ever seen -- and being a near vegetarian, I don't worry much about the health/dietary impact of a small amount of margarine or butter (We do use these things in small amounts, yes? Or do people actually like to have foods larded up with oily substances, masking the true flavor of the foods we labor over and wish to enjoy?) And for those who do have concern, new FDA labeling requirements make it pretty easy to discern what's healthy and what isn't.

But now that Unilever, the manufacturer of Smart Balance -- along with household soaps, cleaners, and various other marvels of industry -- has had it's chemists achieve absolutely no trans fat in its Smart Balance product, well, they're bragging it up on national television. This is fine, I suppose, and if you eat margarine by the tubful, it may contribute meaningfully to your health (if the resultant obesity doesn't still get'cha, somehow.)

Of course if you use margarine in moderation, ask your doctor; I'm going to bet that he or she will tell you, the Country Crock and Blue Bonnet soft margarines are probably OK.

Beyond Smart Balance's trivial statistical advantage there, it otherwise kind of misses the mark, in this reviewer's opinion. It hardly spreadable, unless you're comparing it to real butter that's kept in a very cold refrigerator, resists melting over hot vegetables as though it's candle wax, and it ain't much to right home about in terms of taste.

Sorry, but that's the way it is --  unless you're absolutely OCD about the most minute contents of everything you consume, and have so convinced yourself that Smart Balance is a satisfactory substitute for butter, or even one of the better-tasting margarines out there.

fantastic, unusually nutritional and healthy

from Sylmar, CA

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

I have tracked my progress in consuming Smart Balance and the results are in: It is without a doubt one of the most healtiest spreads one can comsume. My heal has improved, my HLD have increased. Thanks for a great product!

Yes, to Smart Balance Margarine

from Portland, OR

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

I've used many brands of margarine, which includes many of the trans fat free and light brands.  So far, I've found nothing else that tastes as good as this brand but that's actually healthy for you.  My only negative comment would be, if you want to use this brand to cook with, stay away from the "lite" formula.  It doesn't melt well.  I always use the regular and never use anything else.  You will pay a little more then you do for other brands but well with it.

You have got to be kidding- Smart Balance is smart?

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

The little jar of butter that is perfectly wonderful.

from Golva, ND

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

"Don't eat so much butter!" That is a very common phrase that many of us hear from our elders, especially, for me, my parents.    The truth is, butter doesn't have to be bad for you. Smart Balance has offered a unique new product to the shelf: a healthier, more fit, type of butter. *Perfect!    *For me, when I use this type of butter, it allows me to feel better about the foods I eat. It makes me feel not-so-guilty as I eat that baked potato or piece of toast.     I would totally recommend Smart Balance to anyone who is looking for a healthier option.    Now there is only one thing left to say: "*Let's eat*!"

Smart Balance Buttery Spread: Smart indeed and great tasting!

from Boca Raton, FL

**Smart Balance Buttery Spread**

**The Taste?**

**Corroboration**

**My Viewpoint**

Good eating,

Rudi

Smart Balance is delicious and lowers cholesterol.

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

Smart Balance is a natural margarine--no hydrogenation, no trans fats.  It's delicious, and it uses a special ratio of oils proven to lower cholesterol.  You can use it exactly as you would butter or margarine, and your food will be delicious.  It costs the same as other margarines--what a cheap investment in your health!

It's basically like Earth Balance, but cheaper and easier to find.

The Light doesn't melt!

from Grasonville, MD

Comments about Smart Balance Margarine:

I've been using regular Smart Balance for a while and I like it as much as butter.  The store only had the light kind the other day so I got it.  It looked like a coagulated blob and wouldn't melt and it felt odd in your mouth.  My kids refused to eat it.  I guess just because one kind is good doesn't mean it's all good!