Other Sewing Machines:
Singer
Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine

Summary

20 stitch patterns 4-step automatic buttonhole adjustable width adjustable length heavy duty metal frame. Included accessories: darning plate all purpose foot (on machine) small and large thread spool caps holders (2) l-shaped screwdriver for needle plate buttonhole foot button sewing foot edge/quilting guide four(4) class 15 bobbins zipper foot needles package lint brush/seam ripper and oil bottle.

Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

Great basic machine!

I’ve sewn all of my life and pretty much always had a Singer. I had one that had all of the bells and whistles and was a fantastic machine. However I really don’t have much use for all of the bells and whistles anymore – I wear suits to work and really just needed a dependable machine that could handle the occasional repair and do some light craft work. My daughter-in-law began designing clothes for her 4 daughters and was pining for a sewing machine like the one I had. I gave her mine and I bought the Singer 20 stitch Tradition 2259 machine. I looked at a variety of machines (even though Singer has always been my go to brand) and decided once again on a Singer. I am not disappointed in my machine – I could not be happier with it. It handles the repairs just fine, has enough versatility that I can get my craft on and is easy to operate. Even though the machine is considered a basic and one that would be good for beginners, I have been very impressed with it. First of all the design of the machine is pretty straightforward. You don’t have to hunt around for the features. The directions and instructions for the machine are very well written. I found them to be clear, concise and very easy to understand. Even though I have been a sewer for 40 years and could probably understand more complex machines and instructions, these instructions would be absolutely perfect for a novice. If someone needs just a solid, basic machine for doing light repairs or craft work or if someone wants to take their first steps into sewing and doesn’t want to start with an expensive, fully loaded machine, the Singer 2259 makes a great choice. I have been very happy with mine.

Stitch Performance
On to the features…first of all even though this is a basic machine designed for beginners, I was very impressed with the variety of stitches available. This machine offers choices of both basic stitches as well as option for decorative stitches – which is super nice for crafters. There are options for straight stitches, hem stiches, zigzag stitches, a scallop stich, overedge stiches, a buttonhole stitch and even a specialty stitches for when you are working with stretchy fabrics. If you are ever not sure what one of the stiches is meant for or which one would be best to use for your task, you can go to the singer website and look up stitch reference and it will walk you right through it! Selecting the stitch you want couldn’t be easier – you just turn the dial on the front of the machine. Keep in mind that for sewing regular material you will want to set the dial to the black stitch, if you are working with a stretchy fabric, you will want to set the dial to the blue stitch. The buttonhole stitch is not completely automatic but very easy to use and so much easier than trying to do a buttonhole by hand!

The threading of this machine is super easy – just follow the arrow and step number diagrams. The machine has an automatic bobbin winder. The machine will load your bobbin and will automatically stop when the bobbin is full. All you have to do is put your foot on the floor pedal and go! The Singer 2259 also comes with a variety of presser feet from your standard all purpose and zigzag foot to a buttonhole foot, a button sewer foot and a zipper foot. Those four presser foots come with machine, however if you want to purchase them separately a variety of other presser foots are available for this machine.

Fabric Handling
The machine handles different types of fabric pretty well. My only caution would be if you are using a very light weight fabric or a very heavy fabric you do need to manually change the stitch tension.

Versatility
The one feature that I didn’t think I would need since it is usually used for armholes and pant cuffs is the free arm. What I found though is that it is extremely helpful in working with some of the craft projects I’ve tackled. Again I think that this machine is an excellent choice for the novice sewer or just the occasional user. For the seamstress who sews entire wardrobe, this machine would not be your best choice.

Overall the machine itself seems to be pretty well made. It is portable and pretty light weight with an easy to use carrying handle so it is very easy to move around for those of us who don’t have a dedicated craft room. The graphics on the machine are easy to decipher and the machine is very easy to operate.

I've had my machine for a little less than a year and it has so far held up fine. I move it around from place to place in my home and have bumped it into things several times, it has handled it well. I have not had any technical or operational issues at all.

Basic Sewing Machine

This is a very basic sewing machine it is useful if you do not want to make advanced and intricate sewing articles. If you want a sewing machine to make curtains, put seams and frills onto clothing articles it is perfect. This sewing machine is for the beginner or someone that does not want a sewing machine to do sewing professional work. This sewing will last you a life time if look after and used properly. I would advise anyone to buy this sewing machine to your basic needlework. The instruction are easy to understand. The threading of the machine is easy. The needles for the the sewing machine are easy to get in needlework shops.

Stitch Performance
The stitches are very nice and machine is stable when used properly. I can easily adjust the stitches to new stitches and make button holes. The foot is easily lifted and if there is a problem it is usually the thread of the bobbin that is finished. I do however advise us a piece of scrap material to test the setting of stitches before you start stitching your material.

The machine is easy to set up and thread. The stitch settings are easy to understand and simple for all beginners. The foot pedal works well. This is really a machine I would advise beginners use and if they find out that the like doing sewing to buy a more advance machine to continue with sewing. This machine cannot be used for advance projects.

Fabric Handling
The machine can handle most fabric except jean material. I would advise people to not use this machine for thick fabrics and jeans. The needle will not go through the fabric and will often brake off. The fabric will easy glide through if the fabric is not thick.

Versatility
I would not advice a person to buy this machine for its versatility. There is a limited amount of stitches to choose from and if you would like to enhance your fabric with intricate designs this is not the machine for you. The machine is just a basic sewing machine.

I think the design is just like any other sewing machine on the market. This machine is not one I would buy if you are after a sewing machine for its good looks. The design is practical and standard.

If you look after this machine and treat it with respect. I would advise somebody who does not sew everyday and who is looking for a machine for just the basic sewing features to buy this machine.

Easy to Use Sewing Machine

from Vincennes,IN

About Me Novice

Pros

• Easy To Use

Cons

• Quick Repairs
    • Sewing Projects

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

I purchased this singer after having difficulty with the previous one I had. I needed something as simple and basic as possible. This Singer is perfect for beginners and easy to thread. I have only sewn on a sewing machine a couple of times, so I am by no means an expert. I feel that for not knowing much about sewing or using a sewing machine it is basic and easy to use. Functionability is good for beginners. I am not sure if I am too inexperienced about fabrics, but I would say fabric options are limited. I use this Singer sewing machine for starting small projects or simple fixes on clothing. This machine is easy to thread, as I have had trouble with threading in the past. This Singer sewing machine was a piece of cake to use and I felt confident using the machine. I would recommend this sewing machine to anyone who is a beginner or just learning to sew. The machine is basic and affordable. I am very pleased with my purchase. I would highly recommend this sewing machine to my friends and family as well.

• Was this a gift?:

Easy to use

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

My husband bought me this sewing machine as a birthday present this past year ( yes I asked for it. ) So far I really enjoy using it. I learned how to sew a long time ago and when my daughter was born I wanted to start up again and see if I could make her some cute dresses and things. This is a very basic machine, which I find is perfect for beginners like me. The instructions are very clear cut and it is very easy to use. I like that it comes with several different stitch's as well as thread tension. I also found it great that it has a small storage compartment filled with some extra tools to use. I have not been able to use it as much as I would like, but I am hoping to change that once I can get my hands on a little extra time. So far I have had no problems with the machine itself, just my frustration of trying to learn how to sew all over again. I think for the price and what you get with it is a great deal.

Fabric Handling
    It really depends on the fabric you are working with when it comes to your success with this machine. I had a difficult time with some fabrics, so I am not sure if it was just the fabric alone or if that the machine may be a bit too beginner for certain fabrics.

Good Sewing Machien

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

It's a pretty good, dependable sewing machine.

Stitch Performance
    I've never had any problems with the stitches. I do think they offer a lot more options that I need, and I really only use 3 or 4 of the stitch options. Perhaps other people uses the other stitches for decorative purposes, but I stick to the basic stitches.

The instruction manual has been very helpful in learning how to use the machine. Once I learned the basics, the machine has been pretty easy to use. The thread tension can sometimes get a little wonky, but I think this is common with most machines.

Fabric Handling
    It works great for normal fabrics, but I also bought a walking foot for quilting, and it has worked remarkably well.

Versatility
    I can't speak much to this because I don't do a lot of different projects, but I've been pleased with the performance of the machine for the projects I have done.

The machine is very functional in its design.

I've had the machine for about 4 years now and haven't had any problems.

Singer Sewing Machine

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

We have had this sewing machine for years and we love it. We have made many projects on this machine, from hemming to sewing on patches. It is not heavy duty but is still able to sew all the things she needed it for. It works well and is easy to use.

Stitch Performance
    This sewing machine works well for the things that were sown on it. It didn't jam up and the thread worked well in it.

This sewing machine is very easy to use. The settings are easy to figure out and has enough options so you can sew all that needs to be sown.

Fabric Handling
    This machine handles all different fabrics well. It isn't a heavy duty machine, but was still able to go thru some thick fabrics without any trouble.

Versatility
    This machine has a wide variety of settings and is easy to use for lots of different sewing projects.

The design is simple, but still has plenty of settings for all your projects.

We have had this machine for many years and it has help up well and never given us any problems

Basic Sewing Machine

Great basic machine!

• Versatility:

Great for mending and light sewing work

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

I am a novice seamstress who likes to make things around the house such as pillows, curtains, napkins, table runners, etc. I also do a lot of mending on our family's clothing. This machine will tackle all of those jobs quickly. You have your basic stitches on this machine, six or seven, I think, that will be useful for most basic jobs. I have an easy time threading this machine and have less problems in general than other sewing machines I have used - such as thread does not come out from being threaded, bobbin winds nicely and doesn't come undone inside the machine. I always have a nice, even stitching too. I would highly recommend this machine for someone who sews leisurely and is a beginner too. It is nice to know that you don't need to spend a fortune to sew at home.

Stitch Performance
    I use basic stitches, and everything is even and tight enough.

Simple and easy to use for anyone.

Fabric Handling
    All types of fabric suitable, just remember to change needles for heavier fabrics such as jeans. Probably could not handle leather, though.

Versatility
    Great for the home sewer and will accomplish all home jobs.

Light enough for me to put on a high shelf and not too big and bulky.

I have owned this machine for several years with no issues.

Singer is a Good Machine for Beginners

from Louisiana

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

The Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine 2259 is a good machine for those who are beginners and need an inexpensive machine. It is easy to use and has the basic sewing stitches you need. I used this machine mostly for hemming jeans, pants, pillows, aprons and even the occasional holes in other clothing. It stitches through all sorts of material, even heavy duty material that I used for curtains. You can change the types of stitches and the tension in the needle if need be, with ease. This machine really isn't complicated, but I am not an advanced sewer. The stitches come out looking great, with minimal effort. It isn't a fancy machine, so I wouldn't suggest this if you are into more advanced sewing projects. I have had multiple issues with the needle breaking though. It even broke a new needle shortly after I put it in the machine. I am not sure if it was due to my fault, or if it is the fault of the machine. Needless to say, this was a big problem, so I had to buy something else.

• Versatility:

Excellent sewing machine for the money

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

I am not an experienced seamstress so decided to buy a moderately priced sewing machine and was really expecting a basic stitch kind of machine. This sewing machine has many different stitch type and stitch length options. It is very easy to use and I found the instructions simple and easy to understand. I occasionally have problems with the thread becoming tangled but most of the time if I refer to the instructions, I find that it is something I did wrong. There have been a few times that I never found what the problem was and don't know if it was the machine or me at fault. The reverse switch is conveniently located in the front with a convenient dip for gripping so there is no need to stop or slow down to reverse the stitch and it has a nice little drawer for small items under the needle. It is also pretty easy to thread.

Stitch Performance
    Sometimes the thread knots up under where it stitches.

Very easy to use and simple to understand instructions, even for a beginner like me.

Fabric Handling
    This machine does great, even when sewing multiple pieces of material and quilting at the same time.

Versatility
    There are many different stitch types and stitch length options.

If there was one thing I would change it would be the flat surface where the material sits where it gets sewn. I would make it wider.

I haven't had to fix anything. It all worked right out of the box.

Great for Everyday Repairs

Comments about Singer Tradition 20-Stitch Sewing Machine:

I purchased this with great caution. Having never owned a sewing machine before and only being able to sew by hand, I wasn't sure I would keep it. I bought one many moons ago and returned it the same day because it was too complicated. This was easy to master. Once I read the instruction booklet a few times, and figured everything out, I was set to repair everything in my home. Great for hems, kids clothing repairs, valences, fixing sheets, etc. Although I do not sew anything from scratch, this has been a blessing as far as repairs. It is also great for putting together squares for those of us who love to quilt. I would recommend this to any beginner. And Singer has been a brand that has been around forever!

Stitch Performance
    This works great on all fabrics once you get the hang of what you are doing.

Very simple and easy to use. You do need to read the instruction booklet a few times if you have never used a sewing machine before, like me!

Fabric Handling
    As with all sewing machines, you need to hold your fabric and focus on what you are doing. Does no do the work for you.

Versatility
    This sewing machine has been helpful in whatever I have that needs to be fixed.

This is a great, simple sewing machine.

Although I don't use this daily, it seems that it will last me forever without having to replace it with a new one.