Other Sewing Machines:

Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

A fabulous starter machine

I love my Singer Simple # 3116! I have had a few other machines over the years, but this one wins, hands down. I love to sew, but am still very much a novice, and this machine offers everything I need. The machine has a very clean look to it, I love seeing it sitting on my sewing table!

The 16 different stitches are fun to use, and easy to switch from one to another. I love that it has a one-step buttonhole function too, as a newbie like me needs all the help she can get! The machine is very easy to thread, I have never experienced any problems there. As a matter of fact, as long as I keep my machine oiled and dust-free, I never have any problems! If you need to move the machine, there is a handy handle on the top, allowing you to carry it with ease. I also love the hidden storage compartment near the bobbin, I keep extra tools in there!

If you are looking into purchasing your very first sewing machine, or even just want a simple machine, this is the model for you! The price is affordable and you will not be disappointed!

SUCKS

I got the machine 3 months ago.  At first it was great but then it kept messing up.    When you sew it gathers the thread from the top and makes a birds nest of fabric underneath.  I watched the DVD and it explained how to fix it.  But it doesn't fix it.  I am getting so angry that I just want to throw it away and get another one.

This is a great beginniner sewing machine

from Palm Springs, CA

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

Love this machine! Great for the beginner or someone who just wants a basic sewing machine that still has lots of options on stitches, just less complicated.

Stitch Performance
I really like the different options and variety of stitches you have on this machine! I am a beginner sewer and I make mistakes! I love the baste stitch for this reason. If I make a mistake, I can easily take it out. When it's good, I use a smaller width stitch. I love the zig zag stitches!

Very easy to use...only problem is the auto threader feature. It doesn't work, at least for me. I have tried several times, so I am a little displeased with that. The instructions are very thorough. It was pretty easy first time making a buttonhole. Threading the machine was easy, small arrows are printed on the machine in case you forget! Very easy to thread your bobbin.

Fabric Handling
I started making little outfits for my doggie. I have made her jackets made of heavy fleece and had no problems with the fabric not running through the machine. The machine has no problems with using jersey or silky fabric either.

Versatility
I love how I can sew just about everything on this machine. From thick pillow covers to delicate fabric, this machine does it all. I have had it for over a year now and have done so many different types of crafts with this machine. From making quilted wreaths to simple dresses.

The design is simple, easy to use. All the adjustments in stitches, widths, everything you need is in front of you. The machine itself is pretty.

I have this machine sitting in my craft room for over a year now and use it almost every week. I have never had a problem, It is so easy to clean out the bobbin area. The light is good on it. Instructions are basic and easy to follow, which is great for me, a beginner.

• Versatility:

My very first sewing machine - great for new sewers!

from Troy NY

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

My mother-in-law makes such beautiful hand-made quilts that it made me want to learn how to sew. However, she suggested that you need to learn to crawl before you can run and suggested the Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine as a first sewing machine for me.

I love it. The Singer Simple has allowed me to learn a great deal about sewing. It has sixteen different stitches which are easy enough to use (but for true beginners like me - read the manual)... and there's even an easy-to-use buttonhole feature.

The Singer Simple is easy to thread (maybe even easier than a hand needle) and maintenance and cleaning are easy to. I keep my Singer well-oiled so that I don't run into any mechanical problems.

Best of all, the machine comes with a handle, so I can easily take it to my mother-in-laws for sewing lessons!

I would recommend the Singer Simple to all beginning sewing enthusiasts.

Great for beginner

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I've used hundreds of sewing machines over the years. Singer has been in business for a long time and they know how to make sewing machines that work. The Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine 3116 is one of the easier machines to figure out how to use. It doesn't throw hundreds of stitches at you, instead just offering a handful of decorative and useful stitches. It comes with an instructional DVD to help you get started if you have never threaded a machine before. The speed pedal is not too touchy and it's easy to keep the speed under control.
This machine may not appeal to someone that wants a lot of bells and whistles. The choice of decorative stitch is limited and the motor won't keep up if you are trying to sew through more than three or four layers of fabric. Sewing good hems on denim or leather would really tax this machine but most of the casual sewers aren't going to be trying to do so.

Everything I Expect from a Singer Product

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

The price, durability & performance of this machine adds credit to the name Singer.

Stitch Performance
Once I got the hang of it, the stitches were well-placed, even & nicely done. The adjustments for the stitching made all the difference.

I hate to rate this low, but I didn't expect to need to watch the dvd that came with it. I was surprised by the slight difficulties I experienced prior to watching. After viewing, everything was quite easy.

Fabric Handling
It handles all fabrics well: denim to fine cloths, I had no problems when using the correct needle.

Versatility
It is a "simple" model, so there isn't a lot of variety. However, it does handle a number of jobs well. If there is a specific need, the consumer should check to ensure this model has the capability.

The design is wonderful. Again, I had to watch the DVD to appreciate it fully. However, it is attractive, has a small storage area & detaches for larger work quite well.

I have 3 children. It has stood up throughout their attempts to "help" mommy. Additionally, it shows no wear & tear after extended usage & remains in excellent condition.

• Versatility:

Singer quality for a great price

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have had this machine for almost seven years, and it works just as well as the day I got it. I've lost a few pieces, but this machine continues to shine, despite my lack of maintenance or care. I don't think I've ever oiled it, taken it apart to clean out the dust, or had it tuned up, but I suspect it will continue to work brilliantly for years and years to come.

Stitch Performance
The button function on this machine is a little finicky for me, but I rarely use it, so it may just take more practice.

I can set this machine up, sew what I need, and put it away in the blink of an eye. There are threading guides along the easy-to-use system, and while the bobbin isn't top-loaded, I prefer it this way.

Fabric Handling
This machine can bunch up the fabric a little if it doesn't agree with what you're feeding it. This may be my penchant for never changing settings other than stitch type, though.

Versatility
I have used this machine for an incredible variety of pieces, from formal dresses to corsets, haori to fleece hats, and has never had a problem with the variety of projects.

The stitch types are easy to identify and select, the sewing surface can be reduced to just an arm, small enough for cuffs, and the removable tray includes plentiful storage.

I have lost the reverse lever and presser foot, and this machine still works fine.

• Versatility:

A good sewing machine to have at home.

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

Two years ago for my birthday, I asked my husband to get me a sewing machine as a birthday gift. When we went to the store, there were several types of sewing machines, which made it very confusing to decide on which on of them to buy. I called my mother to get some advice. Immediately I explained to her what I was trying to get, she asked me to go for a Singer Machine. I enjoy using this sewing machine because it is very good for a beginner and easy to use. I have been able to make some dresses and skirts which I like. This sewing machine is strong and easy to operate. It is also easy to put thread in the needle which is one thing I have always hated about sewing. This machine has different types of stitches which you only need to change the button to get the type of sticth you want. I find it easy to paddle the pedal of this machine because it is electrical.

Singer - a name You Can Trust

from New Jersey

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I am not an experienced sewer to begin with and that's why I trusted Singer as this machine is basic, the name has been around forever, and very easy to use. If you are like me and don't sew a lot but like to have a machine when you need it this is definitely the one to have. When you feel like reinforcing a loose button or fixing the hem on your pants or skirt this is so easy to do and takes such little time to accomplish. Very compact so it is easy to store if you can't leave it out. This machine is very durable and it does make a great gift for someone. The next time you are shopping don't forget to take a look at this machine. When they say simple they mean it. I just recommended this machine to a friend of mine who actually is experienced and she loves it! So, whether you can just about sew or are an experienced machinist this Singer machine will be great for your choice.

great

simple

Fabric Handling
good

Versatility
easy

basic

lasts

• Versatility:

I love this product because it makes all sewing tasks easier.

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This sewing machine is really easy and even fun to use. I've used it on so many different projects because its many useful options help in any sort of crafts that I have to do. I've made things like skirts, shirts, and even little plushies with it. The machine has lots of different settings for any project, making it a great tool to have. It is also compatible with a lot of sewing feet, making it even more of a useful machine.

Stitch Performance
The stitch performance is great for anything between long or short stitches. I hardly even experience any knots or messes involving it. The stitches are always taught and never come off, making it great for even very tight clothing. I really enjoy using it to stitch together pant legs or circle skirts.

As was mentioned before, the sewing machine is incredibly easy to use. I love how I can use just one machine for all of my sewing needs. Because of it, I now sew more than ever.

• Versatility:

Love this machine - SIMPLE!

from Plainfield, IL

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine thinking I might do a little sewing here and there, but now I'm sewing with it all the time! It's easy to use and works like a dream! It may not be for 'expert sewers', but it does everything I need it to, and has held up well for almost 5 years now - I've definitely gotten my money's worth!

• Versatility:

A great sewing machine for beginners!

from Perkins, OK

Comments about Singer Simple Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I love the simplicity of this sewing machine. It's fairly easy to use and works great! My only problem with it was trying to determine what stitch settings to set it on so that my stitches were nice looking and not too loose, tight or too far or closely spaced. It took a lot of trial and error and just playing around with it but once I got that figured it out was incredibly easy to use and so much fun!