Other Sewing Machines:

Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

Great for beginners.

My mother and sisters are amazing seamstresses. They can take scraps and turn them into masterpieces with but a moment's notice. I on the other hand seem to have gotten the short end of the stick in the sewing department. This sewing machine has all of the options that a person needs to make beautiful items by hand, without all of the complications of a more techie sewing machine. It is really easy to use, and easy to understand. The instructions are very simple and easy to follow. It is easy to learn how to sew like a professional on this machine, and when you do mess up, like I do occasionally, it is easy to take the machine apart and figure out what happened, even if you aren't good at fixing things. I have used this sewing machine to make 3 twin sized quilts, several outfits for my children and for minor rips, alterations and repairs. I have never had any problems with this sewing machine that I or my husband couldn't fix with ease.

Fairy decent basic machine, if it worked

I received this sewing machine for our wedding a few years back, hurray!  I thought....

After not touching it for a year (and therefore not being able to return it to the store), I finally tried it out to make some curtains.  I started having problems from the very beginning.

The machine is fairly easy to use, except the part where the tread spools go.  I absolutely HATE that the thread often gets caught on its own spool (because it sits sideways0 and messes up the stitching.  The place to wind the bobbins has never functioned correctly...I always have to hold the thread to spool the bobbin correctly (i.e. without knots etc etc) instead of using the little place that supposedly assists in holding the thread tension right.

Also, from the very beginning I have had issues with the stitches.  I have no idea what it is related to.  I will get loose stitches sometimes, and often get huge bunches of knots on the bottom side of the fabric.  It makes it impossible to sew anything nice!  I only use my machine for project where the sewing doesn't need to look very nice... Sad!  Also, it'll sometimes snag on something (what?) and break the thread in the middle of sewing.  I've tried everything, adjusting thread tension.  Everything.  Nothing works.

I hope to get a new machine this Christmas!

Singer sewing machine

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I was really into sewing back in high school and I tried to continue it after graduation. When my old machine died on me I bought this one so I could continue fixing clothes that my kids were hard on. I was surprised at how easy it was to use right out of the box. It is really easy to thread, change needles, reverse sewing direction, and set the stitch you need. It came with a ton of accessories, like different feet so you can do zig zag patterns, and button holes. It also has as one of the stitch settings a four hole button hole which comes in handy with two growing kids. I love using this machine for hemming pants and fixing all the tears in our clothes. I have saved us a lot of money since I have been able to fix stuff versus throwing it out and buying new.

Stitch Performance
It has quite a few stitch settings and they all perform like they should.

Threading this machine is simple, so is changing out the feet and needles. I was so happy with how easy it was to use right out of the box.

Fabric Handling
I have sewed a few different fabrics with it and so far it handles them all well.

It is not a huge machine so pretty easy to store away when not in use.

It seems like it will hold up well.

Basic sewing machine

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I never really used a sewing machine in my life prior to using the Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine 1507WC. I had several pairs of gym shorts that have split at the seams and decided to give sewing a chance. I have never used a sewing machine, but I had seen my grandmother sew clothing on many occasions so setting up the machine was quite easy. I loaded the thread and ran it through the little obstacle course and threaded the needle. Initially it wasn't stitching my shorts because I didn't understand how to make the bobbin thread come up. After reading the instructions for a couple of minutes I figured it out and was on my way. I slide the shorts under the needle, stepped on the foot pedal, and I began to sew. There was no thread bunching and the machine delivered the precise stitching length I programmed. I wasn't able to stay in a complete straight line while sewing, but that wasn't because of the machine. I was able to stitch back up several pairs of shorts in minutes. I would definitely recommend the Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine 1507WC to people looking to do some basic sewing on a quality machine.

Not disappointed

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

Singers have usually failed to disappoint me in terms of effectiveness and cost and how well the end result looks, and this machine did not surprise me when it worked so well. I love Singers, and my faith has been rightfully justified! I bought this a couple weeks ago and now I use it nonstop, I'm a seamstress and I can honestly say this is one of my greatest purchases. It's easy to use and tops any hand stitching I've seen by miles. I would definitely recommend this, whether you're buying it for yourself or as a present for your sewing-savvy friends, Singer is a must and this machine is a great Singer!

it's a little complicated to figure out at first, but once you get it the first time you've got it for life

• Versatility:

Singer difficult to thread for first timers

from Vincennes,IN

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this singer sewing machine last year when it went on sale. I have not had a whole lot of experience with sewing machines and it was somewhat difficult to thread. It has many different stitching varieties to choose from on the manual turn dial. A friend of mine uses my sewing machine occasionally and she said it is pretty simple and easy to use compared to the sewing machines she has used in the past. I would say the only challenge I had with this singer sewing machine was threading it. I wish I would have paid more attention and noticed that the top left corner of the machine did not come apart. I am used to sewing machines where the top half can be removed to thread it easier. I had to have a more experienced friend of mine come over to help me thread it. The directions that came with it are very unclear as well as the pictures and was of no help to me. I still have trouble getting the thread to hook where there is a blind spot above the needle. I also had trouble getting the fabric to feed through the machine. I discovered you have to just keep the petal to the floor to get it started. I would recommend for beginners to get one where the left side removes so you can see what you are doing when threading the machine.

• Versatility:

It broke on me quickly, but was good otherwise.

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I took a fashion class for the first two years of high school and figured I wanted to do my own things at home so my mother bought me this. I love the design, the performance, how easy it is to move around and I absolutely adore the little removable compartment that holds spare spools and stuff (It also came with a ton of useful tools inside which was a nice little surprise!)
It was a bit of a pain to get the thing to run smoothly and it always took multiple tries to do so, but I think that's partly because I was used to the machines at school. When I finally got it running smoothly, it was very easy and fun to use. It jammed up where you put the spool in if I went too fast which eventually led to it breaking about two years later which was a bummer but I'm still glad that this was my mother's choice as my first sewing machine.

Stitch Performance
Sometimes if I got a little ahead of myself I'd crank up the speed and it would end up jamming in the place where you put the spool, which was annoying when I was sewing long pieces together in a straight line. Other than that, at a normal pace, the stitches were always clean, tight, and wonderful.

Unfortunately this sewing machine jammed up for good about after two years of occasional use. I've went into the machine and inspected everywhere and there are no broken threads anywhere to be found which is disappointing, I was hoping to get more use out of this.

Great For Beginners

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I had been wanting a sewing machine for a while now, and I received this as a birthday present back in March. I loved it, and it's really simple once you get the hang of it. There are several different stitches that work fantastically and I like the feel of it. At the beginning, though, I found the instructions hard to understand, and I spent over an hour with my dad reading the instruction manuel over and over again. I couldn't understand how to thread the needle.
Also, I find that the threads in spool get tangled up a lot, but I don't know if I'm just doing this wrong.
I understand that this is a beginners machine, but I feel like it would have been nice if it would take stretchy fabrics, too. I often find myself going to sew something along the lines of spandex, and then thinking, "Oh, wait, it doesn't take this material" and I end up borrowing someone else's.
Overall, it's great for beginners like me and I'd definitely recommend this. It's a simple machine for a cheap price.

As a former employee at Jo-Ann Fabric I rate this model basic

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

As a former employee at Jo-Ann fabrics and crafts, I can tell you that this is a basic starting sewing machine. For the price you are paying, you are getting your moneys worth. Nothing fancy, just basic. I would recommend this model for begging sewers and teenagers

Stitch Performance
Basic performance, not meant for fancy stitching or embroidery/needle work. It will get the job done but just basic stitches and sewing work.

Basic handling, could be better at ease of use but okay for beginners, easy to fix if a problem comes up.

Fabric Handling
Basic quality, nothing beyond normal.

Versatility
Its meant for basic sewing, great for starting out and simple projects. Not meant for advanced sewers

Basic design, some models have problems with the turn setting.

Singer is a great brand for beginners to advanced. This model is perfect for starting out or young sewers. After time I would recommend up grading because this model is basic in performance and mostly used as such.

• Versatility:

A good old basic machine

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

If you don't want all the mechanical bells and whistles that most of the newer machines are offering, then this model is for you. It works just like the older machines used to--machines that most of us older folks grew up on. Of course, newer machines are made mostly of plastic and are a lot lighter than the old work horses, but for the most part you will find this machine easy to use, easy to get used to, and it'll do all the basic things that you look for in a simpler machine.

Stitch Performance
It's good, but not excellent. I didn't find any problems with loose stitches or too tight ones (and the round, wheel adjustment was easy to adjust). But since I have used the electronic sewing machines, too, it left a little lacking in the way of being able to design fancy stitches or go around things. Stuff like that. But for basic stitching, it was very, very good.

Basic and easy to use.

Fabric Handling
No snags. Foot wasn't too heavy. Held things just right.

As a plastic unit, but may not hold up as long as the older metal machines.

Great

from Warren, OH

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This is a very good sewing machine. Its made well very durable and its a great price for what you get from the product. I am new to sewing so this I would think is a beginners sewing machine but still works great and can upgrade to another. So I would reccommend this to anyone looking for one.

• Versatility:

Basic needs are met with this reliable machine

from Ridge Spring, SC

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have been sewing for about 45 years and have always relied on Singer for the best quality for the price machine. Since I learned to sew before the "computer age", I find the basic options on this machine get the job done every time. No fancy dials or computer programs to worry about. Just sit down and start sewing- the options are endless when you use your imagination!

very reliable

so easy! no programming, just sit and stitch

Fabric Handling
sometimes thin fabrics will slip

Versatility
this is not for the "fancy" sewer- just for someone who does the basics, or is very creative with basic stitching

this is a really traditional design- no push pads to wear out, no computer chips to go bad. Looks great sitting out on the table!

it's a Singer, and that reputation holds true with this machine