Other Sewing Machines:
Singer
Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine

Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine

• No (3)

Can't go wrong with a Singer.

This is my second Singer sewing machine. The first one was a hand-me-down and it got pretty old, because it just didn't want to quit! It didn't even break, I just wanted a new one so I sold it. Anyway, this one seems just as durable. I appreciate Singers for their ease-of-use. Some machines can be so fiddly, especially when putting on simple attachments like a zipper foot or button hole, but these just click in. This machine is especially intuitive- everything is where you expect it to be. I think that would be true for a beginning sewer or a more advanced one. There aren't too many extra features, and it won't do the work for you. It's not a computerized machine, but for me that was a plus because I didn't want to learn how to use one. I rated it an eight because that's what it tries to be. No fancy stuff.

Fabric Handling
Don't expect too much- if you have a lot of heavy-duty fabric you might look for something made for that.

Complicated Sewing Machine

I am a beginner and I am still learning to sew and I purchased this sewing machine because it was an affordable one. My friend and I both could not figure out how to load the bobbin, and the directions were very unclear. The pictures with the directions also were terrible as well. When I first tried to thread my machine it seemed impossible and again the directions were unclear. I would not recommed this sewing machine for beginners or anyone unexperienced. My mother sews a lot and I watch her use her singer sewing machine and I wish singer still made the older version sewing machine where it has a removable piece that makes it easier to see what you are doing when threading the machine. I was dissapointed and I never ended up using the machine because it was too challenging to use and it made sewing frustrating and not fun. My sewing machine just sits in my closet and collects dust. I am saving to get an easier to use sewing machine and have been doing research anc reading reviews to try and find the easier versions of the singer sewing machine. I want to be able to enjoy sewing and try with an easier to use machine. I hope this helps anyone considering to purchase this specific style of singer sewing machine.

nice

from jordan

About Me Experienced

Pros

• Can Withstand Use
  • Easy To Use

Cons

• Limited Function

• Home

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

nice i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Great Machine for Beginners

from Lafayette, LA

About Me Novice

Pros

• Easy To Use

Cons

• Jams Easy

• Quick Repairs

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This Singer mechanical sewing machine is a great machine for beginners. This is the machine I started with years ago. It lasted me several years and got the job done. Singer is a well-known brand that is reliable. This model is no different. There are not many features, so it is quite basic, but I didn't need anything fancy. This machine will allow you to perform most basic sewing projects including hemming jeans, sewing pillow cases, sewing clothing, etc. It has trouble with heavier materials, so make sure to watch the material you try to use. I had trouble with this machine jamming the thread in the bobbin. That is why I eventually got a different machine. For the price and quality, I was still impressed with the Singer machine. I would recommend this to anyone looking to start working on simple sewing projects, but this would not be a good machine for advanced sewers.

Complicated Sewing Machine

from Vincennes,IN

Pros

Cons

• Difficult To Use

Simple and straight forward

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

For the job that singer mechanical sewing machine was created to do, to sew simple straightforward projects, it performs perfectly. Whether you are sewing a doll dress, or a pillow slip, rest assured that this sewing machine can do the job and do it well.

However, if you were looking to create more elaborate projects look somewhere else. This machine was created to sew simple projects so don't expect to create a beaded tapestry with the help of this machine. It won't happen.

I love my Singer; it is affordable, durable, and does not take up much space.

Stitch Performance
      He ate nice, tight stitches!

Very easy to use. It's a nice break from all the computerized sewing machines out there now.

Fabric Handling
      As long as you respect what this machine can and cannot do, you will not have any problems. Stay away from heavier, more dense fabrics, and you will be fine.

Versatility
      Not a lot of features, but once again, that is not what it was created for.

Sweet and simple design. Will not take up too much space.

I have had mine for years, and it still works just as well today as it did the first day I purchased it.

• Versatility:

Can't go wrong with a Singer.

The Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine is perfect for beginners

from Canton, OH

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

The Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine is the perfect sewing machine for beginners. It is easy to use and doesn't have a lot of functions. It has the basics, such as straight stitch, zig zag, and a button hole function. These are basic functions that just about every sewer uses most of the time. If you intend to use your sewing machine for basic hems, buttons, etc. this machine would work perfectly for you.

Stitch Performance
      I think the performance of this machine is comparable to that of higher end machines.

I don't think you'll find a sewing machine that is easier to use. This is very basic and user friendly.

Fabric Handling
      As long as you use the correct settings/needles it handles fabrics quite well. Any issues with this are usually a fault of the user rather than the machine.

Versatility
      This machine doesn't offer a lot of versatility. It is a basic machine. And as that it does it's job very well.

The design of this machine is simple and I have no complaints.

I would say this sewing machine is as durable as it needs to be. It isn't made to withstand a beating. But will definitely hold up to regular use.

Nice Machine for Beginners

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This is a nice small machine which is very helpful in the small sewing at home. Initially when I started on this machine, I had to read the manual to understand the process of bobbin, how much pressure to put on foot etc but once you are use to it, it wouldn't be an issue any more. Through proper care like timely oiling, cleaning this is a machine to last.
      It can also stitch cris-cross which I usually do for designing on the dress.

Stitch Performance
      I am very satisfied with the performance as I do not do any intense stitching, however if somebody need to do a complex sewing then I think it is not a right choice

Though initially I scrambled but I would say it not very difficult for one to understand (even the beginners) and get started

Fabric Handling
      It can be used on all the fabrics so no such restriction as such.

Versatility
      Though it is not made for a professional, but yes it can so all the basic stitching jobs including the cris-cross stitching, buttons, hems etc

This is what I like the most about this machine, the looks of it. It is very sleek & handy and can be stored very easily in a small place

This machine is pretty durable if proper care is taken like timely oiling, cleaning etc.

• Versatility:

Singer--Sew Good, Sew Easy.

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

While I have had other brands of sewing machines over the years (and have them now also), my Singers are always my "go to" machines.

Stitch Performance
      All of my Singers, from my antique treadle model to my newest base model, have always delivered even stitches, with smooth feed and minimal snarling and bird's nests. While my other machines do as well, for some reason, Singers seem to work better with gradual curves, "S" curves, and corners for some odd reason.

Just thread and go. Even the more complicated models are easy to use, and since they have taken to adding pictures, even a novice can use a basic Singer.

Fabric Handling
      As much as I love Singers, some of the newer manual models don't handle very fine fabrics or very slippery fabrics as well as heavier fabrics--I always have to be more careful when sewing silk or sheer fabrics, or very loopy chenilles.

Versatility
      Technically, this is either an 8 or a 10, depending on what you want. If you're looking for fancy stitches and computerized stuff, then the baseline model isn't what you really want. If 99% of what you do is basic stitching and buttonholes, then a baseline Si9nger is perfect.

Functional, compact, and streamlined--there's nothing on any Singer that doesn't have a purpose as far as I can tell.

While the new models aren't as indestructible as the older models, nothing "new" is built to last centuries anyway. I will say that the last time I dropped my Singer, nothing broke of--whereas the last time I dropped my Brother, the arm broke off.

• Versatility:

This is a great machine for beginners and pros.

from Princeton, WV

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I love this machine. It has been great. My mother owned/owns a sewing shop so I've gotten plenty of time with dozens of machines and this one has been one of my favorite to quilt with.

One particular quality that I like about this machine is the ability to use a variety of fabrics with it. I can quilt and sew with this machine and the machine tackles everything from silk to cotton to most denim items that I want to sew.

Stitch Performance
      The stitches come out great with this. I can use it to do hems around my items, to patch and stitch holes, to quilt, and to sew up ripped seams like a breeze. It's a very easy machine to thread and I don't have any issues when using it.

This machine did take me a few times to learn how to thread. The only real drawback to the machine is the threading. It takes some time and patience to learn but once you do, it becomes second nature and it quite simple. It's easy to use the machine, you simple line up your foot, drop the foot, and use the foot pedal to run the machine. I like to go somewhat slow on my sewing unless I am doing a quilt.

Fabric Handling
      The foot on this machine is great for grabbing the fabric and holding it. The foot really helps hold the cloth in place and makes it so much easier to guide the cloth. It handles the fabric nicely.

Versatility
      It works for most household uses.

I think it could be easier to thread and that it could have some more stitching options but it's a very user friendly machine.

We've had our machine for several years and they get quite a workout. I think it's really the needles that have been the only issue. It's a sturdy machine. Singer makes some great items.

Great beginner machine

Comments about Singer Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I am not very skilled with sewing at all, but I wanted to start it up a bit as a hobby when I got pregnant with my daughter. I bought this machine for a good price as a Black Friday deal. It is really simple to set up and work with; I did not really have any problems figuring it out. My biggest challenge was trying to figure out how to thread the machine, but once I figured it out, the rest was easy.

Stitch Performance
      I only use a couple of stitches, and it has done them very well.

This was a fairly easy machine to figure out. I am a beginning sewer and have not have too much difficulty.

Versatility
      This is fairly simple machine. It is not as advanced as many other machines that I have seen (like my mother's; she is a very accomplished seamstress). It adequately meets all of my needs, though, for my simple projects that I do.

The little drawer on the machine does not stay in very well anymore now that it's been used a bit. It has weathered a few moves to a few different states, however, and still works well. It's held up.