Other Baby Formulas:
Milk-Based Formula
Simply Right
Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark)

Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark)

Pros

Cons

Just as good if not better than Enfamil Gentlease

Members Mark Gental Infant Formula has been a lifesaver for us.  With triplets the cost of formula was overwhelming but I wanted to be sure that they were get the best nutrition possible.  I did some research and found that in the U.S. the nutritional requirements for infant formula are regulated by the government; therefore, you can be sure that your baby is getting a nutritious formula no matter which brand you choose.  I also learned that Members Mark formula is manufactured by the only ISO 9000 certified infant formula producing factory in the U.S.  This means they meet more stringent quality management standards than is required.

This formula is the equivalent to Enfamil Gentlease and is much less expensive.  I actually think that it mixes better and foams less than Enfamil and would prefer it even if it did not cost less.  My boys have no digestive problems with this formula.  They suffered from excessive gassiness with regular formula but this has solved that problem.  I highly recommend it and hope that others won't let the stigma of using generics stop them from trying it.  You can actually request a free sample from the Members Mark website.

Good price, but it smells horrible

I started my son on the Enfamil Lipil Premium but then switched him to the gentlease, and then we tried this because it cost so much less.  He refused to drink it and I couldn't figure out why.  After having him drink a few ounces when he was starving and then refuse the rest for almost a week I realized that the weird smell I had noticed around the house was coming from the formula.  I took a big whiff and realized it smells like dog food.  I brought it back to Sam's club to see if I could return it and the girl at the customer service desk agreed it smelled gross.  She had everyone behind the desk smelling it and they were all saying it smells so gross and it must not taste great, either.  I got my money back.  I'm not at all against using generic formula, I used the regular Member's mark formula with my first son and now I'm using Target's up & up brand, but my baby didn't like this formula and I don't blame him!

We love this formula!

from Pelzer, SC

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

I nursed my baby until she was six months. I was very sad to stop and give her formula. I was nervous to try just anything. I have friends that have tried and tried to find a good one that works for their little one so i was hoping it would be an easier task for me. I tried a few samples that i received in the mail and they worked just fine. She could handle all that i gave her. But the price was outrageous! I just couldn't believe how much it cost for one tub that would only last a week or so. So i was talking to a friend one day and she told me about this brand and how reasonably priced it was. And she said that her baby had no problems with it and they loved it. So i thought we would give it a try. We tried it out and we love it! It is the only brand we use. They also changed the container that it is in and it is so easy and convenient. The scoop has a slot in the top so it doesn't get lost down in the formula. I recommend it to all my friends who are looking for a formula for their baby.

Compares to Enfamil Gentlease

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

We switched to this formula after my daughter had gas issues and had been on Enfamil Gentlease until her 2 month doctors appointment. We didn't notice any difference in our daughter once we switched from the Enfamil to the Simply Right. We save almost 50% by using this formula over Enfamil.

• Ease of Preparation:

After Nursing, This Was a Great Formula for the Price!

from Grand Prairie, TX

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

I loved nursing all three of my babies, but I guess all the extra running around (4 & 2 year olds), my third baby didn't get to nurse past 6 months. A real bummer for me, but I knew she just need more than I could give her.

After researching formula for the first time really, I like Enfamil a lot, but without coupons and sales it was a bit too pricey for 6 months long... so I tried my favorite grocery store brand: Krogers. Also loved (especially that they had an organic version as well). But then my mom picked up one of these Members Mark Gentle Infant Formulas to try after we had run out.

Very easy on babies' tummy; she had no problem trying a new formula; even more for the low price (my favorite PRO). So I now regularly use this formula as well, as long as I have my mom (and her Sam's membership) around! Great find...thanks mom!

Just as good as Similac or Enfamil

from Tooele, UT

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

We used this brand with our second child. He needed the gentle formula so I was happy that Member's Mark made some variety with their formula. There is absolutely no point in buying Enfamil or Similac brands if you have access to Member's Mark (or Kirkland Signature). Member's Mark was great. The can was was half the cost of the brand names and just as good for my baby. It was easy on his tummy, had the same vitamin intake, etc. Member's Mark is smooth and not clumpy, foamy or bubbly (Kirkland Signature is a lot more bubbly, foamy and clumpy). My only negative is the giant can. Costco has theirs in two cans, but Sam's Club put theirs in one giant can which is a pain to have out on the counter all of the time. Not mention if your baby goes through formula really slowly, you may have to discard some before getting through it. Overall I would highly recommend this brand for any parent giving their children formula.

Perfect for my Twins' Tummy Troubles!

from Tulsa, OK

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

I used this with my twins from two months old until they finally stopped taking formula around a year old. I had no problems with it at all. They drank it just fine, same as they did with more expensive brands, but it saved me a lot of money. I read the nutrition labels and compared this to the name brand gentle formula and it's the same stuff. My girls had a lot of stomach issues, which I was told was normal for preemies, but was still a pain to deal with. While their doctor kept preaching about using soy, I decided to try this one and found out it helped them have less issues than with regular formula. They slept much better and we used less medicine to help their tummies, which also saved us money. I would definately reccommend this to anyone, especially parents of twins (because of the money savings) or parents of infants with tummy issues (because it is gentle on their stomachs). Wonderful!

When you can't do breast, this is the best!

from Vandalia, OH

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

My desire for both of my children was to be able to breastfeed them for their first year of life so that they would get all of the antibodies from me, plus, I truly believe that breast is best.  Not to mention, its free! However, both of my children struggled with breastfeeding, as did I. It wasn't what I had expected, it was hard, and frankly, it brought many more tears than joy in the months and months that I struggled through it.  I did my research on formula and I knew that there were a lot of great options out there but it was just so expensive.  Then, one day while I was shopping in Sams, I actually compared the labels to the Enfamil and Member's Mark formulas and I couldn't believe that there was not one little bit of difference to the formulas except in price.  The Member's Mark brand was almost 50% less!  My daughter loves it, it is easy on her sensitive tummy, and is actually one of the less smelly formulas.  I couldn't ask for more and it truly is my second best for her and its not far off from the best.

Member's Mark not equivalent to name brand

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

I will never again use Member's Mark Formulas of any kind!  I tried with all three of my sons and none of them could tolerate it at all.  I hoped that they would because of how expensive formula is compared to breastfeeding.  Member's Mark formula left my boys throwing up, colicky, and very very fussy.  When you have twins, this is completely intolerable.  I will only purchase products that I know are tested and proven effective.  Store brand formula is not at all similar to the name brand.  My boys all ended up on Enfamil or Similac formulas and never had a problem with those.  As soon as we switched to a generic, they had stomach issues or started throwing up.  The throwing up caused long-term gagging issues.

If you have a baby with a sensitive tummy, do not even try to switch to generic formulas.  Spend your time watching the listings on Ebay and purchase it there for 30-40% off the shelf price.

Great formula at a great price

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

Great formula! We were using a name brand and the price was out of control. After ordering a sample we found it to contain the same ingredients! My baby loves it and is thriving...great formula for moms on a budget!

Good price, but it smells horrible

from Milton, FL

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

Members Mark Infant Formula Lipil is a great value!

from Wylie, TX

Comments about Simply Right Gentle Infant Formula (formerly Member's Mark):

I was a bit skeptical about using Members Mark formula. I nursed my son for 6 months, during which time he constantly battled diarrhea. After seeing countless gastroenterologists who all recommended putting him on expensive hypoallergenic formula, I finally decided to switch to formula. I put him on expensive Allimentum for one week, and then decided to try regular cow's milk formula. I tried Enfamil Lipil. The diarrhea didn't come back. I saw the Members Mark formula was so much less expensive, so I compared its ingredient and nutrient list to Enfamil's. They were exactly the same! I asked my doctor about using generic formula, and she told me that it is the same product as name brand formula. So I decided to give it a try. It was great! No diarrhea, spitting up, or fussy baby! Plus it costs half as much as Enfamil! I continued using this formula until my son was a year old and switched to whole milk.