Other Baby Formulas:
Similac

Pros

Cons

The Answer!

My son started off with Similac Advance in the hospital and continued until 3 weeks of age.  We noticed a change in his stools (not getting any). I was being told "Oh, it's perfectly normal for a newborn".  I just couldn't belive it because he just looked like he was in so much discomfort.  The constipation issued continued and we were told to go on a soy based formula.  After careful research on the internet, I decided to put him on Good Start Soy.  The constipation immediately came to an end but then I noticed a change in behavior.  He was gassy and colic.  Now, this could have been an issue before and I could have mistaken it for constipation discomfort.  As a new mom, I didn't have much experience but my motherly instinct told me there was something wrong. There were endless nights and lots of tears (on my end).  So, after a month the constipation issue started again and I noticed his skin was getting red patches.  I immediately took him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with eczema.  I was told he had to be put on Similac Allementum. She wrote me a prescription (Yes, a prescription... IT WAS COVERED BY INSURANCE!!)  Anyway, I know I have been rambling but I wanted to make sure I went into detail to hopefully help someone in the future.  I know I spent countless hours on the internet looking for answers.

He didn't like the taste of it.  The doctor said that is expected, it isn't a pleasant taste.  So, she told me to mix the old formula with the new and I did for about a day then by the next he was drinking full bottles!  The screaming slowly decreased and by the fourth day I was able to get 6 hours of sleep and he's regular!  He woke up smiling this morning and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect baby!  Similac Allementum works wonders!

So, for those of you who are looking into this formula... IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY PENNY!  Before you switch, talk to your doctor and see if you can get a prescription(if you are in the same situation as me).  I am on Blue Cross and there are no co payments involved.

I hope this helps those who are looking for answers.

I don't know what to think about Similac Alimentum Formula.

One of my twin daughters constantly spits up. Her Pediatrician switched us from formula to formula to formula and finally switched us to this. We have come to the conclusion that she is going to spit up no matter what. It didn't stop her gas problems and it seemed like she was hungry right after she finished eating. She usually eats 6 ounces and is quite happy but not with this stuff. It doesn't seem to fill her up at all and she still spits up anyway! We just decided to give her formula that makes her full. At least she isn't upset.

It just made my daughter's acid reflux worse.

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

Similac might work for other children which is good but it sure didn't work for my poor daughter. She's been spitting up and she was on Enfamil Gentlease. I told her pediatrician that the Enfamil was still hard on her stomach. He said she more than likely has acid reflux so he gave me some Similac and said that it should be easier for her to digest and she'll probably stop spitting up so much. Well I gave it to her and I felt so bad because it just made her feel worse. For one, I'm pretty sure she hated the taste of it because she would barely drink any of it and when she did drink it, she still spit it up. The spit up smelled worse and I can tell it burned her throat when it came up because her voice was a little raspy and she'd cry and get scared whenever she'd spit up. So giving it to her did nothing and now I actually put her back on the Enfamil and she's probably going to have to be put on medication for the acid reflux.

Good for Allergies

from Utah

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

This Similac hypoallergenic baby formula is quite effective at helping babies who struggle with allergic reactions. We have seen it keep the allergies down and prevent reactions that can be very dangerous for a young baby. Although it can cost more than off-brands or other types of formulas, if a baby is struggling with allergies, then I would highly recommend it. Its effectiveness helps make things safer for babies with allergies when they are most vulnerable.

Easily Digested
Our children have never struggled with digesting this particular product. It seems to be relatively easy for a baby's digestive system to break down, as our children have not struggled with spitting up or upset stomachs through the use of this product.

Ease of Preparation
Mixing the formula and water in a bottle is extremely easy. We use a bottle that helps prevent babies from swallowing too much air, so even if we shake the bottle to mix it, then it does not hurt the baby.

• Ease of Preparation:

Good for allergies but very expensive.

from Empire, AL

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

I have never been so grateful for an infant formula in my life. When my daughter was born I tried to breastfeed her. I couldn’t produce enough milk so the hospital had me to supplement with Similac Advanced. When she was a week old she was having a lot of issues and was admitted to the NICU. It was there that we discovered she had a milk protein allergy amongst some of the other issues. She was taken off my breast milk and off the Similac Advanced for a couple of days and put on Alimentum. Since she hadn’t eaten in a couple of days, so when they started giving her Alimentum it made me so happy.. Those little glass bottles of Alimentum were a welcomed sight. However, when we left the hospital and went by the supermarket to purchase Alimentum I thought I was going to hit the floor. This is the most expensive infant formula on the market. We simply could not afford it. We ended up having to find a new formula through trial and error that she could tolerate. Thankfully it was a store brand and a fraction of the price of the Alimentum. This formula helped my daughter so much but because of the price, we couldn’t keep her on it. It does a great job for babies with milk allergies, but you better pad your wallet.

Easily Digested
Worked great for our little girl.

Ease of Preparation
Very easy to prepare, just put a scoop of powder and add water.

• Ease of Preparation:

Only formula my baby could have

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

My baby had severe reflux. She also had a delete chromosome. Between the two problems, she would throw up everything that she ate. The doctors finally had her stop any kind of breastmilk and most formulas. They recommended the Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula. She still would get sick to her stomach and projectile vomit often, so we had to only feed her an ounce at a time and had to feed her every hour on the hour all day and night long. Once we started that, she was able to keep the Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula down. It was the only formula that she was able to keep down, even with that schedule.

Easily Digested
The Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula was the formula that was the easiest on my baby's stomach for digestion. It was the only thing that didn't make her throw up as long as she was only fed an ounce at a time every hour around the clock for the first several months of her life.

Super Similac

from Edina, MN

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is the way to go. Similac has excellent products. I used similac for both of my babies along with breast milk. It was a great formula for both of them and they never had any adverse side effects from the formula. It is easy to prepare and leaves them content and full. This is a brand that has been around awhile so they have a great selection of products. I love that you can carry it around with you and have a baby bottle ready in moments. I have used many of the similac products and have been satisfied with all of them. They offer you just what you need for your babies.

Easily Digested
Similac is easily digested and also helps with colics, gases and spit ups. It does not cause stomach aches and leaves them content and full for the time it is supposed to.

Ease of Preparation
Similac is super simple to prepare and you can have a bottle ready in moments for your infant.

Beware of GMOs

from Boynton Beach, FL

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

I'm giving Similac a Three rating instead of a One just because it's got some nutrients in it, but there are lots of reasons NOT to buy it. If you're going to supplement with formula, it's important to remember that pretty much every baby formula is held to the same FDA standards for nutrition, but the store brands tend to be substantially less expensive than Similac.

The thing that scared me into not feeding the babies I love Similac anymore was learning that Similac is made by one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies out there (Abbott Laboratories), and that it is full of Genetically Modified Organisms. Babies have such delicate systems and react so strongly to things like pesticides from fruits in mother's breast milk. Why risk a child's future health so early in its life?

Easily Digested
No evidence of discomfort.

Ease of Preparation
Preparation is as easy as adding powder to water and shaking. Similac tends to leave a little more residue in the bottom of the bottle than other formulas, and can stain clothes if not treated right away.

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is a good formula in it's price and a good hypoallergenic formula. The pack is super cool and the spoon is cool.

Easily Digested
Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is digested easily and it is no different than the others. The Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula feeding is easily accomplished and there is about 15-30 minute time period needed to be digested. The baby has to be fed according to the age and requirements as mentioned. The spitting is less frequent when the formula is given after a gap of 2 hours and the head end of the baby should be slightly above to aid in the digestion.

Ease of Preparation
Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is easily prepared. The packing is cool and designed to work with ease. The small spoon inside is very helpful and the directions are also there on the pack to prepare the formula. The directions are given to prepare the serving in ounces and the pack could be placed on the bedside during sleep as well.

• Ease of Preparation:

This formula is a life saver!

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

When my son was little, he could not handle the regular milk based formula. He spit up with every bottle; sometimes I swear he spit up at least half of it. The diarrhea was just awful. I felt so bad for him. He always seemed hungry. I brought him to the doctor and he was switched to a soy based formula. Same thing; he kept spitting up and didn't seem to be getting enough to eat. Then it was on to Nutramigen. That didn't help either. Finally switched him to Alimentum and what a difference that made. He hardly ever spit up, his diarrhea eased, and he finally seemed to be getting enough to eat. I didn't have to make him a bottle every two hours. He was very content. If your child is having these same issues, Alimentum is definitely the way to go. Alimentum is more expensive, but it is definitely worth it.

Easily Digested
My son digested this formula with no problem at all. His diarrhea eased up and because he stopped spitting up so much, he was getting full. He was happy and content. This formula made such a huge difference.

• Ease of Preparation:

This is the perfect product for babies!

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

This product is the perfect product for your baby. It is very gentle for babies with constipation and it is very useful for colic babies. It is very easy to digest so it will not cause any problems for your child to be able to take it in. It is also very easy to prepare. The preparation time for this product is anywhere around 5-10 minutes. If your baby can't stop crying, don't worry. His/her food will be ready in no time! Babies also love this stuff. I have seen a lot of mothers who feed this to their babies and they really enjoy it. This will also fill up their hunger for quite a while, making them less whiny. I have used this product ever since the hospital and I still use it now. It is really great for little babies. They will take it in with little effort, and finish it up all the way. Your baby will really enjoy this baby formula. This is a great brand and they never fail to surprise me with all their awesome baby formulas! If you are a soon to be mother, I recommend this product for you if you don't know which baby formula to choose. You will not be disappointed!

Worked Fairly Well

Comments about Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Baby Formula:

My son was breastfed until he was three months old. At that time my milk supply dried up and he seemed to be showing signs of acid reflux according to the pediatrician. We decided to try Similac Alimentum to rule out any possible allergies or sensitivities before putting him on acid reflux medication. He drank his bottles meeting his daily formula requirements on this type of Similac. He was still somewhat fussy, but we made sure to burp him after every ounce he drank and had him sleep in his swing or bouncy chair per our pediatrician's advice to help ease the possible symptoms of acid reflux. Overtime my son got used to this formula and never had to be put on medication. He's now 19 months old and drinks milk with no signs of allergies and has no other food allergies either. He was never formally diagnosed with acid reflux and his pediatrician stressed that it was only a possibility and recommended we try everything else before medicating him. I'm glad we did.

Easily Digested
My son never threw up after consuming this formula and at every check-up was gaining weight and making the progress he should according to his pediatrician.

Ease of Preparation
This formula was very easy to prepare and serve.