3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Preparation:

First ingredient is MILK-- check others' labels!

My son is now 5 1/2 months old, and since I am going back to work, we needed to find a formula to supplement with "just in case." Concerns abounded-- will he like it? Will he drink it? Digestability? Constipation? No need to worry. The kid "switch hits" like he was born to do it. And as for the "more sugar" controversy, you should note that what they are not adding is lactose, which is difficult for some babies to digest (i.e. increases spit-up and gas), but cane sugar instead. AND, unlike Earth's Best, Parent's Choice, and Bright Beginnings, MILK is listed as the #1 ingredient-- other brands use demineralized whey and oil. (Although EB did not disclose the ingredient change on their website at this writing, the packaging contains the ingredients in the order I mentioned-- deceptive, anyone?) Why? Because it's cheaper to do so. Do your research, make the comparison, and ultimately, you will come to the same conclusion-- breast is best, but if you're going to give your baby formula, make certain it's organic, the company reputable, and they aren't adding cheaper fillers to make a larger profit (but of course consumers think they're getting a deal, since the other organic formulas are cheaper). The only con, and this goes for ALL organic formulas, is that it doesn't come in user-friendly ready-to-drink sizes (good to have on hand in diaper bag for emergencies)

Like the idea, but the "formula" needs work...

We started our baby our on Similac Advanced, and found it to be a great formula, but we buy as much organic food as possible, so we decided to make the switch to Similac Organic. What we thought was going to be the same formula with organic ingredients ended up being an entirely different beast.

The product seems to be more crude then Similac Advanced. It does not dissolve completely (leaves a grainy residue in the bottle), is noticeably thicker and sweeter to the taste. If you compare the Advanced formula with the Organic formula you will notice the main carbohydrate in the Advanced is lactose (second ingredient) as opposed to the Organics combination of cane sugar and maltodextrin. Apparently, the maltodextrin does not completely dissolve, leaving the grainy residue.

Although I am not a biochemist, I must say I am concerned that this maltodextrin is not being properly absorbed in my child's gut, because it does not appear to be fully water soluble. The use of cane sugar is also a concern for us. We are worried that the introduction of sucrose sugar so early in a child's diet could lead to metabolic syndrome (later heart disease and diabetes), as well as tooth decay then they start teething. Cane sugar (sucrose), as with high-fructose corn syrup (glucose/fructose) are sugars that our bodies are not designed to process in isolation. In natural sources these sugars are accompanied with fiber, antioxidants, etc. (think fresh fruit) that mitigate the damages that they can do to your body.

So... we have to counter those concerns against the concern of bovine growth hormone from conventional cows milk (especially important with baby girls).

There are other organic brands that use organic lactose, but because it is our opinion that they are less likely to be scrutinized due to less exposure (contamination recalls, etc. are less likely)  we would rather go with a bigger brand.

Perhaps Abbott, Inc. are listening, but until they make some refinements in this "formula" that address our concerns, I must say that this reviewer has some reservations about the product, so we must leave you with some mixed reviews. We DO appreciate that there is an organic product by a major brand, but we hope they address these concerns!

Not Worth More Money

from Utah

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

When we considered organic formula over regular formula, we were looking for noticeably better results in digestion, nutrition, and development for our babies. But we simply did not see much difference at all between organic and regular formula. The results speak for themselves. This organic formula can be much more expensive than regular formula, but it simply does not produce noticeably better results. We will no longer be wasting more of our hard-earned money on a product that is not any better than the regular, cheaper alternatives.

Ease of Preparation
One thing I do like about this particular container (that also comes with the other types of formula in the same design of container) is the clip on the lid. The inside of the lid has a clip to hold the scoop, and this is a very good addition to this container. When the scoop sits in the formula powder, it often sinks in shipping and is extremely irritating and difficult to fish out without wasting much formula. This simple clip in the lid keeps the scoop near the top and very easy to get when opening a new container.

organic nightmare!

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

As a first time mom only wanted the best for our baby boy. For the 1st and 2nd month I did breastmilk and enfamil newborn ready-feed and it work well for us. But then ready-feed started getting a little to expensive so we decided to go powder. So since the enfamil newborn was only till 3 months we decided to go organic from then on and chose similac organic (Should have stuck to enfamil!!)
I had a gut feeling after a prepared the first bottle that it might cause constipation since it was a little on the grainy side even after shaken well. I must of read the label about 10 times to make sure i had the right powder to water ratio because it seemed to thick. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and boy was I right. After the first night of feeding my son with it I saw a change. No bowel movement the first night. On the second night when it came it was a little thicker in consistency than usual but I figured it was the change of formula. On the 3rd day my poor baby excreted such a hard poop it protruded out of his diaper!!! That was it I called the doctor and told me to give him 2 oz. Max per day of prune juice to help.
I never had problems with constipation with my son. His bowels were always regular so I knew it had to be the formula. Shortly after I started to feed him enfamil infant 1 formula and bowels started becoming regular and normal again.

Causes constipation

DIY Taste/Mix Test -- Surprised @ Sweet & Separated Mix

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

Wow, I was surprised at my Taste & Mix test. After seeing the reviews of how sweet this was compared to others because of the sugar, and also reading the mixing problems, I tried it myself.
DO IT. Mix it and taste it.
I mixed 2 sm glasses with 2 oz each of regular Similac & Similac Organic.
I tasted them, and the Organic was *definitely* sweeter.
After 10 minutes or so, I looked at the glasses and was really surprised to see that the Organic mix had almost **completely separated**--the water was on the bottom and the formula/milk on the top.
I haven't fed my son the organic completely, just one scoop in his bottles and just fed two bottles so far. So not sure if it will cause problems. I may just put a scoop in there for better taste--the regular Similac tastes nasty, really. Some reviewers really seem to be concerned with the sugar, but isn't breastmilk sweet? I've heard this many times but haven't tasted breastmilk so not sure. Wonder if there is data on how much sugar (or similar compound) is in breastmilk compared to formula.

Easily Digested
Not sure how to rate this.

Ease of Preparation
Wow, weird that it completely separated (like oil and water) after sitting for a few minutes.

• Ease of Preparation:

I feel good knowing my son gets Similac Organic Formula!

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

I used [Similac Advance Infant Formula][1] with my first son back in 2008. He's now a healthy little boy, so it worked well for him, but I was ready to use something different for my new baby. From my first son to my second, I have really gotten into natural and organic products, so I really wanted to feed my baby an organic formula. I recently started using Similac Organic and like it a lot.

This formula mixes just as well as other formulas that I've used, but it has the added benefits of organic ingredients - that means using milk that came from cows that were fed an organic diet and were not given hormones or antibiotics.

Although **Similac Organic Infant Formula** is more expensive than other brands and formulas, I really believe my baby's health is more important than giving him the cheapest formula. That's why this is my new formula and I'm sticking with it!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Similac-Advance-Baby-Formula-review-17815
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Similac-Organic-Ready-to-Feed-Infant-Formula-review-4d7b11

Easily Digested
My son digests this organic formula the same way he does the traditional Similac. We've had no problems with it.

Ease of Preparation
When I travel, I really like [Similac Organic Ready to Feed Infant Formula][2] . It's pre-made, so there's no need to add water or anything; just pour it right in the bottle. Although it's convenient, it's too expensive for everyday use, so that's when I use Similac Organic Infant Formula, which is a powder formula, so just add it to water.

• Ease of Preparation:

Like the idea, but the "formula" needs work...

from Santa Monica, CA

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

Great product, except for the sucrose

from Powell, OH

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

I wanted an organic product for my little girl, I even bought the RTF plastic bottles to reduce BPA in her diet..........now news of Perchlorate.   URGGGG what is a parent to do????  I also found out as I was doing more research for child #3 that Similac Organic formula contains SUCROSE because it is cheaper then lactose (especially organic).  Not a good thing for an infant, especially the teeth and later possible diet issues and obesity????  At this point I think we will have to try another alternative.  I do love the fact the RTF plastic bottles contained no BPA.....we may end up with the similac organic......just have weight in all of our options and choose the less of all the evils out there!

The formular caused the terrible constipation

from Fairfax, VA

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

We used the Similac Advance for about 3 months without problem. We switched to the organic formula last month, and it caused the terrible constipation. As soon as we switched back to the Similac Advance, the constipation was gone. As much as I love organic food, I will not suggest it to anybody else.

Won't buy again

from Wibaux, MT

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

Not impressed with this formula. Doesn't mix well, leaves residue on sides of bottle. Our 10 mo. old. awoke crying in the middle of the night after first day using this formula. She didn't sleep well otherwise either, which was odd for her. She seemed in pain (gas?). Have used Earth's Best Organic before and plan on switching back. Too bad I have a mostly full expensive conatiner of Similac that I really don't want to finish using.

Great formula

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

I love this formula. I first gave it to my son in 2007 when he was born. I couldn't nurse him so we switched to formula. The regular formula made him spit up and gassy. I saw an ad for Similac Organic and switched him to this. He did so well. He took to it like wonderfully. There was on more spit up and he wasn't as gassy. In 2010 I had my daughter and didn't even think twice about giving her Organic Similac. She is still drinking it and we have never had a problem. Eeven when the recall occured we just used the Organic ready to feed which she loved even more than the powder mixed formula. Yes this formula is a bit more expensive than the regular Similac but in my opinion worth the money. I really wanted to breastfeed my children but was unable to. I was upset when I needed to switch to formula. To me Organic Similac is the next best thing to breastfeeding your child and is made by a great company.

Similac Organic Baby Formula is a great choice

from Meridian, ID

Comments about Similac Advance Organic Baby Formula:

I have used Similac's Organic Baby Formula with both of my children several times and I love it! The reason I don't use it all the time is because of the price-- that is the one major drawback to this formula.

Other than the price, Similac's Organic formula is great. I love that the ingredients are organic--there are too many pesticides and chemicals in the enviornment that we expose our children to. It is nice to have a way to feed my baby and be assured that I am not exposing him or her to any of those environmental toxins.

Similac Organic smells just about the same as other Similac formulas. It has the same proportions of water to powder as any other formula. The powder mixes well with water and I have never had a problem with chunks of powder being undissolved. My children seem to like the formula just fine and it seems to agree with their stomachs just the same.

Overall, I am a big fan of organic products and anything I can add to my children's diet, including formula, makes me feel better that they are getting the best.