Other Baby Formulas:

Similac Advance Baby Formula

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Preparation:

Similac Was The Next Best Thing...

When I found out I could no longer nurse my daughter, I had two decisions to make:

1. What kind of bottles?

2. What type of formula...Read complete review

1. What kind of bottles?

2. What type of formula will she take?

While I knew the two would take forever to get straight, I also knew my daughter was hungry twenty four hours a day! With so many choices on the market, organics, soy, formulas safe for lactose intolerance, synthetics, several major formula brands and a half a million generics, where was a mother to begin? Well, first I consulted my pediatrician...

Traditionally pediatricians recommend starting with a well balanced iron enriched formula. However, I was nervous about the *entire* formula thing. We tried 5 formulas before settling on **Similac Advance**. Perhaps it was my mother's prodding, but I was raised on Similac and I was fairly comfortable trying something that didn't mess me up as an infant...Similac has improved, re-improved, and improved yet again to provide one of the single closest formulas to a mother's natural milk. While I do caution you to find out if your child has lactose intolerance or protein allergies before committing, it's often difficult to determine this if you start formula feeding right away. Stay in tune with your child's natural cues, if they seem to be having difficulty digesting formula, consult your pediatrician. That's why they're there! Questions, whether  frivolous or not, are **important** and you should *never* feel uncomfortable discussing your concerns or needs! **Similac Advance **is designed for consumption by children from Birth to 12 Months, it contains a unique blend of DHA and ARA. DHA, otherwise known as docosahexaenoic acid, and ARA known as arachidonic acid, both are naturally occurring substances within the body.

For a complete, current Listing of Similac's Ingredients, I feel most comfortable referring you to Similac's Ross / Abbott Laboratories manufacturer's website at:

I've found through experience that Similac's powdered formula was best for *our* needs. I appreciated the portablility, the shelf life, the length of time before expiration, freshness, and travel ease. I preferred buying economy sized cans, 36 Oz., which can often be purchased from wholesalers like Sams. Babies do four things, drink, sleep, cry and potty. Economy sized cans were a godsend for me!

To mix two ounce bottles you simply need 1 unpacked/un-scraped level scoop of formula, the process repeats to increase feedings. For four ounces use 2 scoops, 6 oz. use three and so on. Occasionally we'd hit an "in between" phase, and it wasn't difficult to figure out if you required five ounces, you could use half a scoop as needed.

Similac worked wonders for our daughter, we just needed to give it a chance to agree with her system. Any time an infant switches from breast to formula feeding, it's a sensitive thing, and it requires a tremendous amount of patience. I formula hopped in the beginning and continued to wonder why my daughter was having such difficulty adjusting!...But staying with Similac for two solid weeks enabled me to determine that this formula worked wonderfully. My daughter had no specific allergies, but she *was* diagnosed with GERD, and **Similac Advance** enabled her to hold down her feedings and gain the necessary weight  to keep her healthy. We've used Similac regularly, in fact,  we still do, and my daughter is two. If she's feeling ill or refusing ordinary food, I enjoy knowing that she can still get the vitamins and nutrients she needs from a single serving.

Similac Advance is readily available, and comes in several ready to feed varieties. If switching to formula is something in *your *future, consider **Similac Advance** for your child's needs...

both my children hated similac

I've tried similac with both my children and they would not use it. I got samples from the hospital when they were born and i thought we see if we could use them.Read complete review

my first daughter had reflux and had to switch to a gentler formula. my second daughter gave us this nasty looking face after every suck from her bottle.

I switched her to enfamil and she downed her bottle. Unfortunately vermonts wic program supports similac and not enfamil. they told me they were the same..but they are not. if you look at the nutrional facts similac has more of some ingrdiants thhan enfamil and enfamil has more of other ingrediants.

I took a few cans of similac and i would mix it with the enfamil to save on money since i would have to pay for the enfamil. Its actually quite funny the more scoops of similac are in the bottle the more my 8 month old will push it away.

Easily Digested
most times my kids just didn't want to drink it. but when they did it did cause some gas.

Ease of Preparation
just add water and shake.

Best for sensitive tummies

from Rogers, AR

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Keeps Well
  • Mixes Easily
  • No Constipation

Cons

• Infants
    • Newborn

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

I started my son on breast milk and sadly I didn't produce enough milk. We tried a different formula and he would throw up every time we fed him. We then tried the similac advance formula and it put weight on him that he had lost from my inability to produce enough breast milk and it was the first formula we used that he didn't throw up. He is now 9 months old and we are still using similac advance. We swear by this formula. I have 2 kids and both of my kids ended up using similac advance and I will always highly recommend this formula. My daughter would eat anything you put in front of her with no issues, my son had a sensitive tummy and both did great with similac advance. So we love similac in our house. And because of my inability to produce enough breast milk for my kids, they still got their vitamins and minerals with the similac.

Similac is a Family Tradition

from Carlsbad, NM

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

Similac Baby Formula has been used in my family for three generations, and we recently started on our fourth. It rates right up there with its competition, yet we have remained loyal to Similac because of its price and nutritional value.

Easily Digested
    Similac breaks down into nutrients that are easily digested by babies. This is the main reason I chose this particular formula, I wanted my children to be healthy and for everything in their life to be easy for them.

Ease of Preparation
    Making bottles could not be easier. Even a tired mother can prepare a bottle at 3 a.m. The scoop that is provided in the can is a perfect measurement for the number of ounces you plan to prepare for your baby. The process of shaking the bottle until the water and formula are well mixed is convenient any time.

• Ease of Preparation:

A favorite and trusted brand with my kids

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

Love love love this brand of formula. With my first child he has 2 months premature, he was on Enfamil high calorie for a big chunk of his infant year. He would sometimes spit up a whole bottle at a time. When I got the ok to take him off we went to similac advance and he took it very well. His stomach was digesting it easier and he was no longer spitting up whole bottles. With my newest daughter she was breastfed so when she was put on formula we tried gerber good start and Enfamil. She would not drink either and it was miserable. When I tried similac advance she didn't even fuss about it. She loves it. It's my number one brand and I highly recommend It is easier for the babies to digest because it is more mild on their stomachs and less harsh. it.

Easily Digested
    Both of my kids digested Similac advance better than any other brand we have tried. It is so much more mild and gentle on their little tummies.

Ease of Preparation
    It is so easy to prepare my 4yr old boy can do it. The powder dissolves very easily whether it is cold water, room temp, or warm.

Loved it

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

We loved this formula for my son. Had no issues with gas or him spitting up. It was really easy to mix (was able to do it in the dark at night with no problems). Will definitely use this product again when we have another child.

Ease of Preparation
    Was able to mix easily in the dark. Scoop was easy to locate and use.

Higher Priced, But Worth It

from Utah

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

Similac is probably the most well-known and often-used baby formula, and we have seen why it is so popular. It is easy on our babies stomachs, and it provides good nutrition for their growth and development. Although it costs more than off-brands, it can be worth the extra money.

Easily Digested
    Our children have never had many digestion issues with this formula.

Ease of Preparation
    We simply mix the formula powder into a bottle with water and shake it. The type of bottle that we use helps prevent the baby from swallowing any air bubbles, so it is extremely easy and convenient to use. Another feature that I like about this particular container is that it has a clip in the lid to hold the scoop. Often the scoop gets buried in the formula in shipment and is hard to get out. But since this one has a clip in the lid, the scoop stays secured at the top, making the beginning use of the container very easy and convenient.

• Ease of Preparation:

Too harsh on little tummies

from Empire, AL

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

While Similac Advanced is the first thing the hospital gives you to feed your baby, it is not always the best choice. All three times I gave birth the hospital immediately pushed Similac on us. I breastfed my first child but the doctors insisted I supplement her with Similac because I was not producing enough milk. I admit my milk was not enough for her, but the Similac caused all sorts of issues and she ended up being admitted to the NICU with a milk protein allergy, as well as a few other issues. Similac Advanced was just too harsh for all three of my babies and we do not have any kind of milk protein allergies in the family, nor is anyone lactose intolerant. This formula is just too harsh on their little tummies. While it is very easy to prepare, just scoop the powder and add water, it just wasn’t right for my children. I will say that Similac is very good about sending coupons in the mail but their formula is still entirely too expensive compares to the store brand. Overall, this may work for some, but was not the right formula for us.

Easily Digested
    My babies could not tolerate this formula.

Very easy to prepare.

• Ease of Preparation:

WIC approved, best for baby formula on the market.

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

When I went on WIC vouchers when my son was born, they recommended this formula for him, saying it was best for growing babies. I bought them each week, and fed them to my son daily. He loved it. Similac Advance Baby Formula went down so smoothly and he never once spit it back up, like the other formulas they had us on before. It is easy to make, and easier to drink as it all goes down without clumping.

And it has Early Shield to support your baby's immune system, brain, eyes, and bone growth. Similac Advance Baby Formula has DHA which is an important nutrient in the early stages of development. It's supposed to be as close to breast milk as it can be without actually being breast milk.

Babies love it because it aids in their digestion and is so smooth and clump free. I was surprised when I saw how well he did with it, as my other two kids had been on Enfamil, but he had not reacted well to that at all. Similac Advance Baby Formula is all I ever fed my son, till he was old enough for Milk. And for his whole first year, this was all he drank other than water at times.

Easily Digested
    Similac Advance Baby Formula is so smooth and blends so well that my son never spit it up at all. And there were never any clumps or powdered bits left in his bottle, or stool. It never gave him any problems either.

Ease of Preparation
    It's easy to make. Just scoop the allotted amount out into a bottle with the required amount of water, cap it and shake, and then serve to your baby.

• Ease of Preparation:

Not good for gassy babies

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

I actually used and loved the Similac Sensitive. So, I love Similac, just not this particular formula. My little one had to be switched from the Similac Advance Formula while still in the hospital. He experienced acid reflux, terrible gas and constipation. Once he was switched to the Sensitive formula he was fine. Just to be sure, we actually tried the Advance Formula again after he was two months old. My little one experienced terrible gas. He cried and cried. He also had terrible constipation and spit up a lot. He never had issues with spit up, gas or constipation while on the Sensitive formula but with the Advance Formula he had all of these symptoms. We immediately switched him back to the Sensitive and his symptoms went away. It is definitely worth it to spend the extra money. He did well with the Similac Sensitive. I am not sure why the Advance formula gave him so many problems but I wouldn't recommend it for babies that have sensitive tummies.

• Ease of Preparation:

Baby had no problems with this formula

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

We used this formula for both of our children and they were both initially breast fed. The transition took a few feedings but both children did not have any problems once they got used to it. Also we were able to switch between breast milk and Similac during the day without any problems. I would breast feed them in the morning and before sleeping while day care gave them formula. Also, we used formula when we were on-the-go and nursing was not convenient.

Easily Digested
    We used this formula with both of our children and had no problems with diarrhea or allergies. Our second baby was gassy from the day she was born but she had no reflux or extra gas with this formula.

Ease of Preparation
    Super easy to prepare: just measure out the necessary amount with the included scoop, add cold water, and shake. We would prep the bottles the night before and bring them the next day to day care. No problems with spoilage and the powder dissolved fully this way so it wasn't clumpy.

My son was horribly gassy on Similac Advance

Comments about Similac Advance Baby Formula:

I absolutely love the Similac brand, especially because I was able to receive so many samples/coupons when I had my first child. It was an absolute life saver. I originally transitioned my son to Similac Advance from breast feedin when he was around 3 months old. Unfortunately his stomach did not agree. He was constantly gassy, constipated, and spit up. I figured it was just because of the transition from breast to formula.. well after trying Similac Sensitive it made a HUGE difference!

Easily Digested
    Unfortunately it caused my son to be extremely gassy to the point he would cry it bothered him so much I would be up half the night helping him with gas. Also caused extreme constipation until I switched him to Similac Sensitve.

Ease of Preparation
    It is beyond easy to make a bottle with one hand, while you have your child in the other arm. I am thankful for how easy it was when I was half asleep in the middle of the night!