Other Exercise & Fitness Accessories:
Sigg
Sigg Water Bottle

Sigg Water Bottle

Sigg Water Bottles: Only take a swig from a Sigg

Sigg water bottles are made in Switzerland.
 www.mysigg.com

Sigg water bottles are made in Switzerland.
 www.mysigg.com

Water is the essence of life and we feel blessed to have well water from a spring fed property that tastes like water is supposed to- like nothing but water.  We’ve always taken our own water on our excursions, avoiding buying bottled water for both uncertainties, the price and the land fill factor.

Over the years we amassed a deep drawer full of water containers from a variety of companies, in a multitude of styles and sizes.  Who knew that one night, perched in his favorite blue chair, my husband would read yet one too many articles about the dangers of plastics and the carcinogens that may be released when plastics are heated as they sit in a hot car or freeze as they are nuzzled buried in a cooler.  Papa bear became seriously concerned, not about porridge, but about the plastic bottles that could be  “just too hot” or “just too cold” and may be unhealthy for Mama bear and the baby bears.  There was no walk in the forest.  Papa bear made an executive decision.  All of the plastic bottles had to go- to the recycling center.

While I accept my husband’s quirks and usually admire the motivations behind them, I couldn’t help but to ask “What IS a bear in the woods supposed to carry water in?’

It was a challenge and it was quickly answered.

The next day, after stopping at the recycle center, my husband arrived home with Sigg water bottles for all.  Mama and Papa bear had two bright red 32 oz. bottles each, the princess bear had two black with white groovy designs 16 oz. bottles and the wild man little bear had two camouflaged 16 oz. bottles.  All was well again in the woods.

The Sigg water bottles have holed lids that make them easy to carry by finger or to clip with a carabineer. You can check out their web site for the scientific facts but from Mama bear’s perspective, they keep water nice and cold and they are easy to clean.

My Sigg fits in the cup holder of my car, accompanies me to every tennis match, walk around the bike track, hike or hour in the garden.

***Do not put Sigg water bottles in the freezer.  They will buckle.  There is a warning but my daughter put it to the test and had to spend her allowance to replace hers.

***My Viewpoint: ***Sigg water bottles are durable (if you don’t put them in the freezer), easy to clean and keep cold water cold.  Whether you are concerned about the health risks of carcinogens in plastics or just want something that is long time durable to carry your water in, I recommend Sigg bottles.

Great looking water bottles, company not so great.

We originally got a Sigg for our now 4 year old when the BPA stuff first came out in the media.  They advertised as being BPA free so along with so many others, we ran and got them.  The ABC bottle was so cute with its little glow in the dark flippy lid that I ended up investing in one for me and one for my husband as well.  When our now 2 year old started with sppies we got one for him.  About 6 weeks ago we were very upset to see that Sigg bottles made up until a certain time in 2008 (the date escapes me right now, googling this issue should remedy that) have BPA in their lining.  All 4 of our Sigg bottles that we've loved and used all day every day for 2 years have the darker, old style, BPA linings.  These bottles ARE easy to use.  They work great.  The tops are great and user friendly.  Its just the lining and the company's sketchy practices that are not so great.  Shame on them for advertising themselves as BPA free when they weren't.  I emailed Sigg and they said if I sent my bottles back to them, I'd receive a voucher for replacement bottles...but that I had to incur the cost of shipping the bottles back.  We chose another route.  Sigg will not get another penny of our hard-earned money.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I have used Sigg water bottles myself for many years. When my daughters started to play soccer, they needed a durable water bottle, so I automticaly turned to Sigg. They are very strong and dishwasher safe. My kid's Sigg water bottles have been dropped, thrown, and even kicked, but they have lasted and are still in use with us today.

A good alternative to plastic, but what's that taste?

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I hate using plastic and disposable water bottles so I bought a Sigg Water Bottle because they were more environmentally friendly, and also were economically conscious. The bottle worked well the first few times but I noticed my water had a metal like taste, even if I drank it right after I put the water in it. I didn't notice the taste as much if I threw some fruit in my water bottle and let it sit for a little bit, but then this water bottle becomes more costly because I have to compensate for the metal taste to it. I will just stick to my plastic water bottle for now and replace it every couple of months.

no more plastic!!

from united states

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

My new FAVORITE water bottle. My Sigg comes with me everywhere. It is like an extra appendage. I feel naked without it. Super durable as well. I can throw my Sigg anywhere... my gym bag, the basket on my bike, in my husbands work box, etc. Cleaning my Sigg is basically the same as cleaning any other reusable water bottle. I can throw it in the dishwasher or wash it by hand. Over the past few years, my Sigg has started to show its age. The lid has began to leak after 3 years so I have to be cautious of the position of my Sigg (I need to make sure that it is not on it's side or in a position that it may leak). The shape of my Sigg has basically remained unchanged. It has taken quite a beating, from falling off the bench at the hockey rink to being dropped from the car while unloading groceries. My Sigg still stands straight up and does not have a rounded bottom as some other similar products may after a couple of years of owning the product. Thank you Sigg!!!!

I love my Sigg Water Bottle!

from Youngstown, OH

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I have had the Sigg water bottle for several years now. At one point I wanted to get one for my son but had trouble finding them online.... I have since bought him various other brands of reusable water bottles in stores and all of them have ended up in the recycle bin after very few uses. I have dropped my Sigg bottle more than once and it does have a few dents, but it still works great. My favorite feature is the screw-top lid that actually stays on and does not leak. I cannot say that for any other brand I have tried.

My only complaint would be that it is not insulated to keep water cold (don't leave it in a hot car and then try to drink the water!), but other than that, the Sigg is my favorite water bottle.

A "green" bottle no matter which color you choose

from Denver, CO

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

After hearing a lot about cancer-causing BPH in plastic bottles, I purchased a Sigg water bottle.  This is a tough little bottle!  Of course, if you drop it, it can dent.  Sigg didn't make it completely impervious to our everyday mishaps.  But it usually won't break -- not unless you really try hard to make it break, say, like beating it repeatedly with a sharp rock.  If it falls at an unfortunate angle and strikes on the lid, the plastic screw-on top can break, but replacements are easily available through the Sigg website.

The interior is lined so you don't have to worry that drinking from an aluminum bottle will give you Alzheimer's.  The lining prevents the bottle from absorbing odors and flavors from sports drinks or sodas.  Sigg provides a wide variety of sizes, colors, designs, and lid types, so you're sure to find one that suits your style.

As for cleaning, avoid running it through the dishwasher.  But then again, you already know that if you've had a Nalgene -- those lids frequently wouldn't survive the extreme heat of the water and drying cycle.  Cleaning is best done with a bottle scrub brush and warm soapy water.  Avoid extremes in temperature, too (such as putting it in the freezer), which could damage the aluminum from expanding and contracting due to cold and heat.

For too long we've used disposable plastic water bottles, which will never degrade in a landfill.  It's time we did something better for our Mother Earth -- switch to reusable bottles.  With a stylish Sigg bottle, you won't mind showing it off.

It's beautiful and helpful

from Santa Barbara, CA

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I don't like taking a bottle with me when I'm going out. Before, when I take a bottle with me , water leaked out and make all the things in my bag wet. But when I see this one, I love it at once. It's beautiful and it's not plastic one. The colors are cool, when I take it with me, I just become thirsty all the time,haha. I no more buy a bottle of water when I'm out. But one thing I don't like is, it's not easy to clean. I have to try a lot of methods to make it clean.

The Sigg Water Bottle is worth the price

from Evanston, IL

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I stopped buying water in plastic bottles a couple of years ago, and decided to spend the extra money for the Sigg water bottles. They are environmentally friendly and, most importantly, I am comfortable running them through the dishwasher. I will not wash any plastic in the dishwasher, which is a pain, but with all of the scares about BPA, I don't mind taking the extra time. With the Siggs though, I can safely wash them in the dishwasher which is a huge plus, as we go through at least 4 a day.

I bought the smaller size for my son's lunch boxes, and a few of the larger sized to take to the gym or just out and about. They are pretty lightweight and keep drinks cold, which is nice. When closed up, the tops do not leak! We have had a few for a couple of years, and this still is the case. I love being confident when I have a Sigg in my bag that nothing will spill out.

The con's:

- The bottle caps come off too easily.

- They do dent when dropped heavily. Still usable, though!

- The sport top could allow for water to flow a bit more quickly. I feel like it is more work than necessary to take a drink.

I would highly recommend the Sigg Water Bottles for your family. They are a great alternative to buying water in plastic bottles.

Sigg bottles are the best I've ever had

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I am such a huge fan of SIGG bottles, and so is my husband. I accidentally got him a knock off brand for Christmas just because it was cheaper, and he wasn't that impressed, lol. Turns out, that knock off brand wasn't as high quality and it leaked, so I'm glad he's a stickler for brand names in this case.

These SIGG bottles keep my water cold for a really long time, so that when I take a drink of water, it always tastes cold and fresh just like I got it from the faucet a few seconds ago. Plastic bottles dont' do that for me at all.

I also love the health benefits of using a stainless steel water bottle. It doesn't taste like aluminum or plastic when drinking the water either.

With this bottle, I also got the all black sports water bottle cap, as well as a twist-off black and white sport top cap. The white one isn't as great, and doesn't let a lot of water through, but the black one is awesome and feels like it's made from more durable plastic. I can wash it easily in the dishwasher.

Get a SIGG. They clean easily and taste great. Really durable, too, so it'll last for a while.

Sigg makes wonderful water bottles.

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

If you are like me, and am trying to be earth friendly, you can't go wrong with purchasing a reusable bottle. I personally own three different brands of reusable bottle. I had started off using the stainless steel bottles, but man, are those hefty to lug around (all of my water bottles holds about a liter of liquids, approximately 33 oz)! Next, I switched to aluminum, which shaved off two to three pounds. Hope this is helpful to those who are deciding between getting either types of water bottles. Second, I got myself the Sigg wide mouth water bottle, which means that it has two kinds of openings. One end of the cap is wide enough that it allows ice cubes to be added (and easy to clean), and when you screw it on, the small top cap allows you to drink from it without spilling all over yourself. Overall, Sigg water bottles are good quality bottles. It's lined with a nontoxic lining on the inside to prevent you from coming in contact with the aluminum. Also, my favorite thing of all is that it comes in all different sizes and designs so you can get the best fitted for you. Because it's aluminum, it dents easily when you drop it. Never freeze your Sigg, otherwise, it can explode like a soda can, or split, and that's a pricey water bottle to destroy.

Amazing

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Sigg Water Bottle:

I don't know where I would be without this product! It is simply amazing! I absolutely love and adore that I can do something so easy and not to mention STYLISH to help out the planet. I used to have at least 10 plastic water bottles sitting in my room at one time, and should they fall and I accidently step on them that would be the end of them! I had always wanted to try them and products like it everytime I saw them at the store. What made me finally take the plung and decide to get one was being pregnant and reading an online article about how toxic bpa could be to infants and how easily it leaking into plastic water bottles from the sunlight. I am very happy I decided to, I save sooo money on water now and it is great! Plus I don't end up with a nasty taste or odor stuck in my bottle if I choose to put some juice in it, I now have 3 and frequently buy them as Christmas/birthday gifts for friends and family.