Other Vacuums:
Shop-Vac

Pros

Cons

Perfect Shop-Vac

**Buy this, now!!!! **If you've been looking at Shop-Vacs, I would suggest grabbing this one quickly. Don't go with another, untrusted brand, grab this well know and valued brand. Shop-Vac has so many accessories, they're 100% worth the money. We put this vaccuum thru HELL, we've used it to empty our 55 gallon fish tank a few times. We live on the beach and our house is constantly filled with sand, it takes it up like a trooper. The crushed oyster shells that end up in our car are impossible to get out, until you put the shop-vac to it! We've purchased several attachments to help with clean up around the house, car and shop. They may seem a little on the pricey side, but they're completely worth the investment. This isn't a product you'll use for a few months, this thing will last years. Shop-Vac also has a great warranty, so no worries about this thing!!**I do suggest the bags, instead of the ring filters. They hold so much, they're much easier to clean and deal with!**

Good, have had better

We have used this for a carpeted hallway flooded by an undersink pipe in the bathroom that had a leak during winter, scattered food in the van, and general mess on the floor for a while while we didn't have a regular vacuum cleaner.  This definitely cannot replace a regular vacuum... it lacks the spinning brush that loosens things from the floor (suction is not enough) and it doesn't have the good allergen filters available with most regular vacuums.  Most vacuums of course can't handle wet cleanup, and this is perfectly suited.

I've been a little disappointed with this models ability to clean up crumbly stuff.  If you don't have the hose held down right over the junk it won't suck it in a lot of the time, causing every job to take longer.  I was also surprised that the hose was so narrow after using a previous one that could handle bigger particles without things getting caught inside the tube needing to constantly be dislodged by hand with something long to get at the stuck thing.

That said, it does okay and the motor seems fairly strong... I've even used it to vacuum seal off-season clothing in heavy garbage bags for tight storage and despite bad noises that made me think I killed it, it's doing fine now.  We clean the filter by spraying it with the hose and air drying.  I do wish there was a cleaner way to empty it as it produces huge clouds of dirt when it is emptied.

Handy-Dandy Shop Vac

from Murfreesboro, NC

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Easy To Empty
  • Easy to Use
  • Long Power Cord
  • Powerful/Good Suction

Cons

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

Our Shop Vac is mainly used for cleaning out the cars and trucks. It stays outside in the garage, but it keeps us from having to make trips to the carwash. I have no complaints about this. We have been using the same one for quite a few years. It doesn't give any problem. Picks up dirt and trash well. I dont have a problem reaching both sides of the car. My in-laws even uses it.

• Primary use:
      • Personal

Strong and efficient

from Coronado, CA

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

We recently purchased this shop vacuum because we were remodeling our home and knew we'd need something to clean up all the debris easily and efficiently.
      This shop vacuum does a great job and isn't too large or too heavy.
      It picks up dirt, dry wall pieces, loose carpet pieces, dry wall tape etc... This vacuum is great for cleaning window sills and screens. Also for corner areas of the home and near walls...
      it comes with several attachments to ensure the proper suction and size needed for most items. I would recommend for cleaning large and small areas and projects.
      The price is right.

Small and lightweight

Ease of Maintenance
      Dumo and clean, nothing too time consuming

Suction Performance
      Great, not too strong but strong enough

Versatility
      Very versatile, small and large jobs.

Average design, not fancy. Basic and small for storage.

Durable easy to use without breaking. Can be knocked around pushed with force and kicked with foot while holding hose and seems resilient. Has fallen over and no problems.

Best utility vacuum

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

The Shop-Vac is by far the best heavy-duty vacuum on the market! I had never heard of the Shop-Vac until a few years ago when a friend offered to let me use it to vacuum out my car. I thought she was joking because surely a household vacuum could not work as well as a car wash vacuum! Boy, was I wrong! Since that day I have owned my own Shop-Vac. The suction is so incredible it can pick up very large items with ease. In the years I have used it, the suction has never gone down. Plus, you can use it for water also! This came in handy when my house flooded one summer- it was a lifesaver. Every car and home owner needs one. The only difficult part about it is when you dump it you have to remove the whole top part. It is a little bulky and heavy. Make sure to do this outside because a little dirt and dust will fly up. Also, you must switch between filters when using for wet versus dry vacuuming.

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

I have never regretted purchasing this Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum. The price was very reasonable and consumer friendly. The base for the vacuum is wide enough so that the possibility of tipping over the vacuum while using it is limited. The wheels on the base roll and swivel smoothly. The attachments are easy to place on the hose and use. I like the number of extra hose pieces this vacuum has. It makes it easy to reach high places. The filters are easy to install, remove, and clean. The motor is a little noisy, but it meant to be used in a shop or a more open space which would dissipate the sound. The cord is long enough and has a grounding plug which is very important. Even when all the hard hose extensions and flexible hose are attached together and used at one time, the suction ability does not decrease. The flexible hose attachment does not curl or tangle and remains flexible and pliable over time. Even when all the I have had my shop vac well over ten years and it is still cleaning strong.

• Versatility:

Never thought I could love a vac

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

It sucks up almost everything you need it to without hesitation. But there is no place to wrap up the hose.

Maneuverability
      It maneuvers just fine on it's 4 casters. However the cord being short will hinder your progress unless you have an extension cord.

Ease of Maintenance
      if it stops sucking change the filter. I haven't gotten that far yet though.

Suction Performance
      Some times the suction is so strong the hose sticks to the floor and you have to pull it off. It easily cleaned out all the dirt and sand out of a rally car, cleans up after two boys and a bunch of messes in a garage.

Versatility
      While it has a blower port, it isn't the easiest thing to switch over. That being said, I have a blower already so don't need to switch it over, but it is there if I need it.

The suction is great, the casters are great, the attachements are great. However the cord is really short so you will need an extension and there isn't enough storage space for all the attachements that came with mine, nor a dedicated spot to wrap the hose around.

The only thing that broke on mine was the original vac bag that came with it. I just pulled it out though. This is a wet dry vac it doesn't need a bag.

Very Useful Product

from Edmeston, NY

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

When I first saw the Shop-Vac, I was a little apprehensive. It looked bulky and hard to handle. But actually it was quite light and easy to use. I love having something which can easily clean up both wet and dry messes. We used it a lot when we were building our house and I don't know what we would have done without it. We don't use it as frequently now, but it comes in handy In our garage especially because we have our wood furnace and a wood pile there. It helps us keep that area fairly tidy.

Maneuverability
      For its shape and bulkiness it is quite easy to use.

Ease of Maintenance
      We haven't had any major problems with the Shop-Vac, except for an accident with the hose, which was replaceable.

Suction Performance
      Decent suction for both wet and dry.

Versatility
      Very versatile. Can be used in many places under many conditions.

The looks of the Shop-Vac is industrial, but it works very well for tough heavy duty jobs.

Very durable. We have had ours for several years.

Work horse

from Merced, CA

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

The Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum cleaner is a sturdy-built, durable vacuum cleaner with very powerful suction. Using this vacuum cleaner, I was able to lift away some of the older stains on my carpet that my previous vacuum cleaner missed. I love the attachments and how they let me adapt the vacuum cleaner to different surfaces, from flat surfaces of couch cushions to nooks and crannies. I am reasonably pleased with spot cleaning of deeper penetrated messes as well, such as juice spills. The one thing that I would have liked changed about the design of this vacuum cleaner though is the bulky shape. This makes it rather unwieldy to haul around the house, from floor to floor and around edges and corners, without bumping into furniture and fixtures. Also, the weight of the vacuum cleaner could sometimes be a major deterrent to getting it out for cleaning purposes.

Every home needs a ShopVac

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

I remember my father's shopvac growing up, a very loud machine that he'd keep in the basement. It was so loud and obnoxious but I did not appreciate all that the vacuum was. While in apartments, we got a Shop Vac to help clean up the cages of our Flemish Giant rabbit. The heavy duty power of the vacuum could clean out the litter box and any shaving splash over without missing a beat. Granted we had to make sure the bunny was out of the room before switching it on. Now our Shop Vac is our upstairs vacuum, being used to clean up any mess without having to lug our big Dyson up the stairs. The real versatility of this vacuum came with a flood. We had a week of heavy soaking rains and our basement was flooding. Thanks to the Shop Vac we were able to bail out the water without too much difficulty.
      The only negative thing I have to say about this vacuum is the difficulty in emptying and changing the filters. It really can cause issues for an asthmatic.

• Versatility:

A heavy duty vaccum for everything

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

I love that our family has one of these so my husband can clean up all his little messes and this vaccume is a tough little powerful unit so it can handle anything you give it to clean up with ease! I use this all the time in our van to clean it up especially after a trip to the beach and those dirty boots on the carpet in my van after muddy wet winter boots have trudged through it and I got this on sale and it just keeps working great!

Maneuverability
      This is a sturdy model and I run an extension cord to my vehicle so I can clean my van with ease and it fits right into the seat so I can get a good cleaning done in a quick time and it is sturdy enough so I can maneuver around the base part easily with the tools to get all those hard to reach places.

Ease of Maintenance
      The easy to take out filter is washable and dries quickly so I can get at another job right away.

Suction Performance
      This vaccum model is powerful and sucks up any debris in front of it with ease and just keeps going and gets all the dirt of all types cleaned up quicker than ever with its super suction power no dirt is left behind.

Versatility
      I am amazed at the strong suction power and strength of all the attachments. I know this machine can handle cleaning up any mess I give it to clean up.

The simple easy model has easy to use features and strong tools to clean up all messes.

This is a very strongly make machine and it is perfect for all those tough messes.

Messes made easy

Comments about Shop-Vac 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum:

The Shop-vac wet/dry vacuum has been a lifesaver, and the best part about it is it's portability. You can take this vacuum anywhere to clean any mess . I've used it in my shed, garage, car, and even on the stairs. There is no place this won't go (as long as you have extension cords).
      One of the big pluses for me was that it will vacuum up water. I had flooding in my basement and there wasn't a good way to get the water out. I ended up just using my Shop-vac to clean it all up. Simple. Easy. Done. No problems and no hassles.
      You do have to be careful about cleaning it out regularly, especially if you use it for a wet mess and a dry mess without letting it dry out in between.
      Overall, I really love this vacuum. I don't know how I would do some of my cleaning without it. If you don't have one, add it to your list of must buys. Your cleaning will become much easier and you will definitely thank yourself for it!