4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Duration Paint Is Well Worth Using

I am very glad I bought Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior Gloss Paint! Here's Why:

PRICE: Yep, it's more expensive to buy than some other paints. But ... in the long run it really is less costly. How? It is truly (no joke) one coat. So, should I buy a two coat paint at 30.00 per gallon or a one coat product at 50.00? Also, Sherwin Williams is almost always running a sale. I bought a gallon for 39.00. Even if it isn't on sale, or there's no coupon in the piles of stuff that come with the Sunday paper, you can get 10% off by singing up in the store. (Caution: You get a bunch of E-Mails from them. Thankfully, they haven't sold my address and it's been a few years since I signed up.)

GENERAL EASE OF USE: It took some learning. This paint is super thick from the can. I had some trouble accepting that it is OK to put it on thick. After it sunk in, painting got faster! The brush drags miserably. I wanted to use Floetrol to slick it up a bit, but at the store one person said it is OK to use with Duration and one said it was not. I wrote to ask Sherwin Williams, but have not heard back from them.

DRIPS SAGS RUNS: None, despite the thick application. Even on the upside-down stuff, it absolutely did not drip. It's rather cool out today, at 40 degrees- perfect for runs and drips. But, the product sets up quickly enough to stop problems.

FLOW: It flows very well. This is helpful when you are painting next to something that must not have paint, such as a window track. It flows to the edge & stops. Magic!

LEVELING: Not so great, but no worse than any other exterior paint I've used. Brush marks stay. I am curious to see how it performs in warm weather, when it is setting up faster. I'd imagine it would be more of a problem. Perhaps either Floetrol or more practice will help.

WET EDGE & FEATHERING: My task requires me to paint part of a trim board, move the ladder/plank set-up for access to the rest. This is a ten minute job. I feather as well as possible. Even though it flashes fast, painting from dry to wet seems to help blend. But, it isn't perfect. (Cheap paint works better in this respect.) Warmer weather may produce different (worse) results. I'll find out next sumer, as it will be snowing before I finish the project. Also, if Floetrol turns out to be OK to use with Duration, this problem will be solved.

GAP BRIDGING: It will bridge up to about 1/64th of an inch, but no more. If the gap or pit is larger, it covers and then pops away. A return trip with the brush almost dry helps.

COLOR: My only real complaint is with the color. I bought the whitest white they have (Called "Extra White") It is no where near as white as the Behr Premium Plus Ultra Pure White I started the job with. They could not color it whiter in the store. But, two windows about 3 feet away show the difference. It isn't an In-Your-Face change. (When I put the storm windows back up, that will introduce a third white. Oh Well) I have had great luck with Sherwin Williams matching other colors from samples. They just can't make the white whiter. Check a sample to see if you like it. (It isn't yellow, so no panic necessary. It's kind of greyish next to the Behr. All by itself, it looks white and clean.

COVERAGE: This paint is rated 250 - 300 square feet per gallon. It isn't quite as high as others, but since one coat is required it really covers more.

HIDING: Amazing! I am painting over existing white and freshly primed stuff. It covered in one coat easily. The aforementioned Behr required 3 coats over the (lousy Glidden) primer at the heaviest coat I could apply before it ran and sagged. I tried it as a primer on a scrap of pine with a knot. it did flash off the knot and the second coat hid it. I don't know if it will bleed through in time. My house is 100 or so years young and has many, many layers of paint in various dark and light colors. Some of each were showing on this job. The paint covered each with equal success.To check hiding (and to avoid doing any actual work for a while) I tried it on some scraps of wood I had: Over Black Gloss (One Coat) Red Gloss (One Coat) Green Bondo Type filler (One Coat) Tan on Vinyl (2 Coats) Yellow (1 Coat) Light Grey (1 Coat) Pressure Treated Wood (New- Didn't work at all- Bleed Thru.  New & Washed- 1 Coat    Weathered- 1 coat) Work Shirt (6 Million Coats) The ugliest, darkest  green I ever saw (3 layers down on my house) 1 Coat

SHEEN: I'm pleased. Duration's "Gloss" matched the sheen of the Behr "Semi Gloss" The people in the store suggested satin. I bought gloss and put some on a stick that had Behr already on it. The gloss level matched exactly (well, as exactly as my eyes can tell).

AS A PRIMER: The directions show how to use it as a primer. It works great on knots, filler and normal stuff. But.. Why use a high priced finish coating to prime? It's kind of like using a Rolls Royce to pick up lumber. A pick up truck is made for the purpose & is cheaper. Primers are made to seal, block stuff and grip to the substrate. Paints are made to provide protection & look good. (I like the 123 latex primer. I use plain, old cheap shellac for knots, rusty nail heads and bleeding stains. Thinned, flat oil house paint works, too- but not rust preventing types as they never harden 100% by design. I'll never, ever use Glidden Gripper again. It doesn't hide anything & won't level. It softens & balls up on cured latex caulk too- no matter the brand.)

TIME TO BE WEATHER SAFE: Duration developed a good skin after about 2 hours, just as the label said it would at these lower temperatures. Now, if it rains or snows tonight, my work won't be spoiled (and paint won't wash off onto the pavement below).

CLEAN UP: The brush cleaned up, after 6 hours of use, very easily with dish soap (no, not in the kitchen sink). My hands,hair, ears, nose also cleaned easily. Work shirt's toast.

COMPARISON: On today's project, it performed very well once I got used to the thickness and brush drag. It worked fine over 123 primer, junky Glidden Gripper primer, old paint and test pieces. I've used Pittsburgh's one coat with great results, but it wasn't on sale this week. Also, the Pittsburgh rep says one still needs two coats for protection. Sherwin Williams guarantees theirs with one coat (if primed with primer or Duration). I've also used Behr & it doesn't hold a candle to this paint. Due to the sale at Sherwin Williams, Behr's best only would have cost about 5.00 per gallon less, with slightly more square footage per gallon. However, I'd be putting 3 coats on, thus using more paint (and time). Duration actually was less expensive. The time-to-rain safe was way faster with Duration than with Behr, as is the low temp range (35 degrees F versus 50) The odor is much, much less as well.

SUMMARY: Time will tell if it is durable. I do know of someone who used it many years ago and recently touched up some damage. The color still matched. (I've done this with Pittsburgh, but that was 20 years ago & I'm sure the formula changed since then. Hopefully, still good.) I liked using Duration and plan to continue the job with it. For the record, I enjoy painting anyway. It's kind of a totally peaceful Zen experience doing trim. Walls are a different story. Boring! Mine will be sprayed and, maybe, with opaque stain. Now, if only I could learn to color inside the lines!

I hope this review, as well as the other well written reviews here, help you decide on a paint among the many excellent brands available.

I have mixed feelings about this paint

My husband and I just bought our first home and the entire house "needed" to be painted. I decided to go with Sherwin Williams for paint. Not only is their paint great but their customer service always exceeds what is expected.

All together I purchased seven different colors. Three of those were the Sherwin Williams Duration paint. I painted my kitchen Bengal Grass, my dining room Trinket and a bedroom Gypsy Red. Those colors are only available in this paint so I had to buy it. But, I didn't mind paying the extra money, especially with all of the added benefits of this paint. This paint is low VOC and low odor. It states it is an antimicrobial formula that resists mildew growth and it has Sherwin William's green sure stamp. This paint is also suppose to wipe clean with mild soap and water.

I do like the plastic pan can that the Duration paint comes in. The lid screws on and off so it makes opening and closing a lot easier. The inside also features an interior spout for the paint to pour out lessening the mess. Just be careful even with the spout paint still manages to pour down the side of the can. My advice to you is when your ready to quit pouring slowly stop and that should reduce the amount of paint that spills. My only nit-picks about the can are the interior spout makes it virtually impossible to use it as your paint bucket. And if you are dipping your brush into the can, it usually ends up on the handle too.

First off all, I was a professional residential painter for 2 years so painting a house isn't new to me. I know what to do and how to do it. Of the three colors I chose none of them would get the same rating if I would review them individually. So, I'm going to go through them one by one.

I'll start off with the Gypsy Red. I would rate this one 5 stars. This was a painter's dream. Red is often a hard color to paint but not this one. I only had to paint one coat! I couldn't believe it. I was a little scared when my son asked for his room to be red and actually told him no at first. But I gave in and I'm glad I did, this paint is everything anyone could hope for.

The next color is Trinket. I would rate this one 4 stars. The coverage was good but even after tinting my Kilz yellow this paint still required two coats. The only difference between this color and Sherwin Williams Design Basics paint are the green sure stamp and a few other added benefits.

Last is the Bengal Grass. This was my worst nightmare, I wouldn't give it any stars. I have never hated a paint so much in my life! Yes, it really IS that bad. I love this color and it would look great if it would finish correctly. This was my kitchen color unfortunately. This color took me 3 cans of paint and 10 hours of my time doing three coats. And even after all of that, I'm still very unhappy with the results. This color reminds me of an oil based paint. If you've ever used an oil based paint you know it leaves brush strokes if you're not careful. You're constantly making sure to blend with each application. Well, Bengal Grass, was sort of like that but there is no making your rollermarks or cut-in lines disappear. All most every single roller mark is visible and so are the areas I painted with my brush. So, in short, don't buy the Bengal Grass but good luck if you do.

After my experiences with this paint I would recommend it, however be careful on what color you choose. If after one coat a color isn't drying like it's suppose to I would recommend changing your color so you don't end up like I did. After spending all that money and putting in the hard work I'm still not satisfied with Bengal Grass and hope to change the color soon. However I do love Gypsy Red and I'm satisfied with Trinket.

Easy to use, great for kitchens and bathrooms

from Florida

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I've used just about every paint out there and I have to say Sherwin Williams Duration Home Interior Paint is by far one of the best for painting the kitchen and bathroom areas. It was easy to find the colors that I wanted to use, which is what drew me to choose Sherwin Williams as opposed to a different brand.

This paint is easy to paint with, went on smooth and looks fantastic once it has dried. I was impressed with how well it covered the area, and how smoothly it went on.

It was a little pricier than I had hoped for, but after buying and painting with it, the investment was well worth it. The quality of the paint and how it looks once done outweighs the initial cost.

If you keep that in mind and are Olay with the slightly higher cost, then it definately is worth checking out.

Great quality!

Perfect durability for high "steam" rooms such as the bathrooms kitchen.

Coverage
The coverage is impressive.

Good paint

from Richmond VA

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I was very satisfied with this paint. I needed something that I could use to paint an accent wall easily, without having to do coat after coat or too many touch-ups after finishing. This paint was recommended to me by a friend who had used it, and I was very happy with the result. It goes on easily and fairly quickly and it seems to be good quality. So far, it is working very nicely and I haven't seen any flaking or chipping or streaking.

Quality
The paint seems to be very nice quality. It was very easy to use and I didn't have to worry about it not looking good just because I'm an inexperienced painter. It made the wall I was painting look really beautiful.

It seems to be very durable so far. I actually scraped some furniture against it lightly by accident, but it didn't smear or chip or anything, so it seems to be a fairly tough paint.

Coverage
This covered the wall very nicely.

Ease of Appliation
I found this paint very easy to apply.

Decent paint

from Davie, FL

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

Last year, when I needed to touch up the paint in my kitchen, I decided to buy the Shewin-Williams Duration home interior paint. I bought a nice orange-tan color, and it ended up looking quite lovely. I did not like the smell of the paint though at all. I still would recommend the paint because of how durable it is.

Quality
All in all, the quality is great. I just wish that the color was more vibrant and the paint did not have such a horrible stench.

This paint's durability is much better than any of the other paints I have used. Sherwin-Williams Duration home interior paint definitely lives up to its name.

Coverage
The coverage is something that could be improved. I ended up having to apply three coats of paint until the color was vibrate enough for my taste.

Ease of Appliation
This interior paint was very easy for me to apply. I just wish it did not smell so badly. I kept having to take breaks in between painting the walls because of that.

Great paint product

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I bought this paint when we had our house built. I knew the builder used the minimal paint on the interior walls so I wanted something that would not soak into the new walls. I am a fan of Sherwin Williams paint, it comes in great colors and has always given great coverage without streaks.
This paint was great. It was much thicker than other paints, and goes on very smooth. I only needed one coat of this on new walls which was very impressive. It did not run and I never had a drip marks. I bought this paint for the main rooms in my home and it worked like a charm. It is easy to clean and I can literally wipe down a spot and it comes right off and does not leave a residue.
This paint is a bit more expensive than others, but it is worth every penny. I would highly recommend this product.

This is one of the best paints I have used for durability, it goes on great and easy to clean.

Ease of Appliation
This paint is very easy to apply and does not leave drip marks or streaks. It goes on very thick.

Not Too Bad

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

Sherwin Williams is one of the biggest contenders when it comes to high quality paint. Their Duration Home is no exception. If you're looking for a paint that has great durability, and is easy to wash, this is your best bet. I put this paint in my bathrooms and kitchen, and it has held up well three years later. I will say that this product does come with a few minor draw backs. The big one is that it does not cover as well as the Super Paint (which is my favorite). It also tends to splatter a little more than other Sherwin Williams brand. Duration Home is a low V.O.C. paint which is good, but if you're looking for a 0 V.O.C., then this will not meet your needs. Finally, like most Sherwin Williams paints, this one can be a little pricey, but catch it on a sale, and it's very reasonable for what you get. Overall another solid line from Sherwin Williams.

Quality
This product is one of the top quality paints you can find out there.

This is it's biggest perk. Duration dries super hard, and can be scrubbed without burnishing.

Coverage
Not as nice as the Super Paint, but still covers pretty good.

Ease of Appliation
Duration applies very well. It does tend to splatter a little, but not too bad.

Very high Quality Paint

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

This paint is a higher price than the other Sherman Williams kinds, but is well worth the money. The only higher tier is the Emerald but I have not tried this one. I was able to paint my house with only 1-2 coats and used no primer and the results looked great. Even though this paint is a higher price I probably half the paint it needed for the same job. Sherman Williams has many 40% off sales though out the year so you can be on the lookout for a sale and stock up on Duration paint. Then when you know what color you want you can go back in and have them add the correct dye for free. Sherman Williams will also store any color you buy on their system in case you need more and you forgot the color you used.

Quality
Very high quality. Once dry, it says that you can wash it with water and the paint will not come off, but I would not recommend washing it.

Very durable. I have had no issues with the paint chipping or fading.

Coverage
Covers great. I have done most jobs with 1 and 1/2 coats only.

Ease of Appliation
Very easy to apply. It dyes fairly quickly so you need to be attentive.

• Ease of Appliation:

Excellent Coverage with Sherwin Williams Duration Paint.

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I wanted to repaint my basement for my man cave and the salesman at the store recommended buying Sherwin Williams Duration. I was covering up a brown color so I used a coat of primer and bought enough paint to use three coats because of the dark color that was on already on the wall. I shouldn't have bought that much because two coats of the Duration paint was sufficient. It worked great for my blue paint and it's as if the brown paint was never there. It really looks good and has a strong finish.

Quality
Sherwin Williams Duration paint is a higher end more expensive paint and is top quality.

It will hold up in high traffic areas and is good for my basement.

Coverage
I really thought it would take three to four coats of paint to cover my dark walls with a lighter blue, but with Sherwin Williams Duration it only took two and the paint looks great.

Ease of Appliation
It's very easy to apply and goes on evenly without any streaks.

Very durable paint

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

Sherwin Williams quality of paint is top of the line. I own four rental units and one house and I will only use Sherwin Williams paint on the walls. Though it is priced higher than average paints it is worth the money. I use the Sherwin Williams Duration on all of my rental unit. The major reasons is the paint covers the walls that I typically do not need to do anymore than one coat of paint. Also the paint is smooth and with them being rental units the walls have knicks and the paint covers smoothly. Lastly, the ability to wash the walls with the duration paint is amazing. At times I have tenants that allow their children to color all over the walls. This paint allows for heavy duty cleaning and wiping and the paint does not chip or fade. Great product!

Quality
Excellent quality, covers walls smoothly and leaves a very nice finish.

This paint allows for your to be able to wipe and clean and it does not rub off or fade.

Coverage
Covers my walls typically with one coat of paint.

Ease of Appliation
This paint rolls on walls smooth and easily.

• Ease of Appliation:

Sherwin Williams Duration Paint is the Best!

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I wanted to make some changes to the house and paint can freshen up a room! It is a simple and effective change! I talked to several contractors and got a variety of bids and they kept saying the same thing...use Sherwin Williams Duration Paint! They kept telling me that with the Duration paint, fewer coats would be required and it would give the brightest, most richest colors. I was a little skeptical because the Duration paint came with a higher price tag. They assured me that although Duration cost more, they would use less paint because fewer coats would be needed. I went to Sherwin Williams to check out my options. I was so impressed. The staff at the store was so helpful. They were extremely knowledgeable. I was picking a brown color and was very concerned about "pink undertones" making my brown look too pinkish. They knew their shades well and helped me narrow my choices down. They encouraged me to get their Color-to-to paint samples to try the paint out on my walls before spending money on Duration and not being happy. Those little testers were a great way to try the paint and get exactly what I wanted. Once I selected my color, the Duration paint went on flawlessly and the color and vivid and perfect! I only needed one coat with just a bit of touch up in places. Duration is the paint for me!

The right one

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Paint:

I am currently trying to get my house ready to put it on the market to sell. My house is a little under 900sq ft and I know that space is a problem. The interior walls are mainly a dark green. I love the color, but it does make the rooms feel small. My handyman recommended that I paint the interior walls. Going to the Sherwin Williams paint store was a pleasurable experience. The manager was very helpful. She recommended that I use their Sherwin Williams Duration paint. I picked a light beige in the Duration. It wasn't until I got home when my handyman suggested to me that it would take several coats of paint to cover up the dark green. To my surprise and handyman's surprise the Duration paint only took one coat to cover up the dark green paint. We also used Sherwin Williams Duration to paint the kitchen cabinets and they turned out great. I highly recommend Sherwin Williams Duration paint for interior jobs.