3.1

3.1

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

Shield of Shelter's Agents are customer service oriented!

We have been with Shelter for over 20 years and have just recently turned in our first claim. I backed into a vehicle and did very limited damage.  I contacted our agent immediately and he was extremely helpful.  This claim was handled within 48 hours.  I was extremely pleased with the agent and how professional he was about it.  He told me that after over 20 years I was due.  My rates haven't gone up a dime.  The claimant was anything but understanding when I bumped his car.  I immediately admitted fault and gave him my information and called my agent from the scene, then went to the agent's office immediately following.  He tried unsuccessfully to contact the claimant while I was in the office but continued throughout the day until he reached him.  The claimant made threatening calls to me, as well as the adjuster with Shelter.  Although this happened, my agent, as well as the adjuster, continued to help him and worked with expediency handling his claim.  They both maintained their professionalism even in trying circumstances.  I would highly recommend Shield of Shelter to anyone wanting a pleasant change!

Do not go with this insurance company!!!

A little over a month ago my town was hit by a very severe wind and hail storm.  Hail golf-ball size and larger and winds up to 120 miles per hour occurred over a 20 minute period of time.  Meteorologist said we would never see this again in our life time. Trees were down everywhere and almost every house in town suffered some type of damage.  We received estimates for all of our damages and it was a little over $30,000.  We have had an insurance adjuster to our house twice and we have received less than $10,000.  My main issue is that we need a new roof (estimated >$20,000).  They say we suffered very little damage.  I find this hard to believe.  My two next door neighbors and my two neighbors across the street are all receiving new roofs.  They agreed to sign a statement which I showed to the adjuster.  I just found out from one of those neighbors that everyone on our street is receiving a new roof due to hail damage and lost shingles.  Either this was an act of God or Shelter is a very unreliable insurance company.

Don't expect anything other than a smile

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

Getting them to pay out on a claim, you might as well be talking to the wall. When our town was hit by a storm and our barn was destroyed they offered to pay for the "wind damage" not any of the damage caused by the torrential rain or flooding inside caused by the roof being ripped off. So my barn sits never being fixed because NOBODY will touch it, the liability is too high.
Then a few years later my son was in a horrible car accident and sent to the ICU,Shelter will not return calls or pay any of the medical bills. My daughter just totaled her car and they offered 1/10th of the value or told me I can "buy my car back from them with no insurance check." Whats the point of having insurance if you can't use it?

Customer Service
My agent is Amazing and friendly

Available Plans
They offer insurance on everything.

No longer with Shelter

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

Two years ago I was in a no-fault serious car accident. My Shelter Insurance agent, did not answer my calls in a timely manner, and/or Shelter Insurance company was not an advocate for me when the other insurance company did not want to take responsibility. I had to hire an attorney and was dissappointed that Shelter did not do the following: return phone calls that were time/legal sensitive, provide a proper estimate for my vehicle that was damanged, and provide relevant med pay options. After my accident, I felt that Shelter Insurance was not helpful and for the most part I felt like i was in the dark.

16 year customer

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

Due to a few claims they dropped me. I was hit by a tornado and had a big payoff after that a few more for hail damage on vehicle and 7 years later a burglary. Really I am disappointed as I am now older, have a very low premium and unemployed so now they played games and did not help me communicate with the main office so they could drop me! No other insurance company will pick me up and I can not afford the outrageous policies so will be without insurance my property is for sale and this may be a problem for the new owners as well. I have been manipulated into being non insurable as well as a poor credit score that is causing me undue problems all over unsecured credit card debt that was 80% paid off, where is the average tax payers bailout? This has caused a severe ripple effect you are not wanted in USA if you are not wealthy!

Customer Service
Was put between a rock and a hardplace when I became under employed dropped me.

Available Plans
They will want at least 3 months worth of payments up front. They use to be great but in today's financial climate they want only big policy holders with excellent jobs, credit scores, and a high premium.

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

Shelter Insurance was the first insurance company I had as a new home owner. I had mortgage insurance through Shelter. During my time with Shelter Insurance we had a couple of bad hail storms. Damage to the roof was evident. I contacted the costumer service number for claims with Shelter. Shelter Insurance sent an adjuster out the next day. My claim of damage was accepted, but to my surprise the amount of money they gave me to replace the roof was extremely low. I had to get quotes from five different roofers until I found one that excepted Shelter's amount. It was a cash job, no insurance, no warranty kind of roofer. After I provided proof that my $500 deductible had been paid Shelter Insurance sent payment for the remaining cost of the roof to me, so I could pay the roofer. Although the claims process was easy and payment was sent promptly, low replacement amounts concerned me enough to switch carriers.

Shelter Ins for vehicles

from Keo, AR

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

I have had Shelter insurance for my vehicles for 40 years. I currently have coverage on a van, truck, motorcycle, and 4 wheeler. They have always bent over backward to provide great service. Alas, we have had to use our insurance a few times due to hit and run drivers but they have been very understanding and helpful. Prices are based on your credit score so if you have a good credit rating they have the best rates around.

• Available Plans:

Minimal protection, overpriced, bad customer service.

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

This company is terrible. Paying insurance to them for 13 years, never spoke to anyone, Had to file one claim after all that time (roof / Colorado hail storm 2012) and couldn't find anyone to work with me... in the least. They ended up paying 4K for an entire roof (dwelling and garage), and they wouldn't even bring the new roof up to code. I found new insurance with USAA for 75% of what Shelter had been charging me for 13 years!

Shelter For My Move

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

I recently moved from La Porte, TX to Ogallala, NE and had to switch auto insurance companies. My father got me a plan with his insurance company. Not only are the rates much more affordable, but the staff in the office here in Ogallala is very friendly. I have yet to have any claims or accidents with them, however I am very pleased with the service I receive from them. They make it easy to make payments, call with any questions, and renew my policies.

• Available Plans:

They are not honest at all.

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

Only trying to make money out of you.

Customer Service
I happened to buy an insurance from this company. The agent told me that they have liability and full coverage plans. I chose liability and the agent told me that liability covers both my car and the other car involved in an accident. A friend who was with me also decided to buy liability from them when he heard the agent saying that liability covers both cars. Later my friend went back to the agent and the agent told him that liability covers only the other car and not his car! Meanwhile, I recommended Shelter to two other friends saying that liability covers both cars based on what the agent told me. But to my surprise, the agent told them that liability covers only the other car. In other words, the agent misinformed me to make me recommend more people for their alluring quotes. I never recommend Shelter for any one and I will never renew my insurance with them.

Available Plans
I was misinformed about their available plans. The agent told me that they have liability and full coverage plans but later the agent added collision option too. I ask what is collision? Why do you tell people that you have two plans and then say something else?

Highly reccomend

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

I had been calling around town to get quotes on my family's auto insurance and finally I called Ryan Brooks at Shelter Insurance. Thank God I did! He was able to bundle my family's cars and house for a much lower cost than other places, AND we got a great deal on some life insurance. We had been looking into getting life insurance a little bit, but when Ryan told us how much coverage we could get for such a low price, we were thrilled!

I HIGHLY reccomend calling Ryan Brooks to anyone even thinking about checking their rates!!!

Consistant and loyal.

Comments about Shelter Insurance:

We have had our homeowners insurance and flood insurance through Shelter Insurance for the past eight years. Our insurance was purchased when our home was and the payments are bundled together through our mortgage; this was a clauses insisted by the Veterans Administration when I secured the mortgage home for our home; this insurance was also recommended by the VA as well to us and by our local credit union as well. Our home owners insurance runs around sixty dollars a month, and forty dollars a month for our flood insurance; the fees for the flood insurance are automatically drafted out of our checking account on the first of the month and it allows us to save five dollars a month. We opt to have a paper statement monthly, and do not pay extra for the service; green paperless service is offered as well. We were able to start an account online, and have access to a full range of services online as well. I also was provided a local agent and their information if needed. I have never had to make a claim thus far, but have been happy with the service. We have never been solicited. We are not called. We have been very happy thus far with all of our services.

Customer Service
The local agent is great!

Available Plans
Over twenty to chose from.