View more cell phones

3.5

Absoultely fabulous

It is soooo easy to use.

It is soooo easy to use.

The Sidekick 3 offers all of the same functionality and ease of use that the first two models are known for, only now Danger and T-Mobile have packed it in a sleeker, faster package. The handset is finally small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket or be held in the hand during a call. With the addition of Bluetooth, it's no longer necessary to even hold the Sidekick during a call.The Sidekick has also been updated with a 1.3 Megapixel camera and music player. Between these updates and the upgrade to faster EDGE data, the Sidekick 3 is now on-par with most other mid-range handsets it competes against. If you prefer texting, email and IM over phone calls the Sidekick 3 is still one of the best choices for people who don't run a Blackberry server. But now it's a good phone for people who want all that and talk on the phone too.

The Sidekick is almost always used horizontally, even if you're not using the keyboard. The screen is always oriented that way, and so that is how the device was designed to feel best in your hand. The sides where the navigation buttons and controls are, have been slimmed down and further tapered. This makes gripping the Sidekick easier.

In addition to retaining an excellent keyboard layout, the 3 retains excellent usability. Holding the Sidekick with both hands wrapped around the sides, the keyboard is at an excellent depth for thumb typing and each key is large enough to hit without fear of mashing surrounding keys. The Sidekick keyboard is also one of the few with a full row of numeric keys, which makes things like entering phone numbers much easier.

The screen is 240x160 pixels, which sounds low-resolution, but provides plenty of space for most tasks, including browsing. It is the exact same screen in resolution, color depth and technology as the Sidekick II.The Sidekick is one of the few phones using truly transflective technology. These screens don't require a backlight to be seen in daylight, instead they use ambient light to light the screen. In dark rooms, a light sensor automatically turns on a backlight for the screen as well as the keyboard. While transflective screens use less power, the one on the Sidekick suffers from washed out colors, and images tend to look pixelated.

One of the biggest disappointments of the Sidekick 3 is that it does not improve on the II's notoriously weak signal strength. The Sidekick 3 loses signal as soon as you come near a dead zone. Like its predecessor, it will sometimes manage to recover and get a weak signal in these areas, but this is inconsistent. The Sidekick 3 demonstrated the same behavior in our bank vault test, managing to at least get text messages and voicemails sometimes, and not getting any signal at all on other occasions.The 3 has slightly improved the speed at which the Sidekick will re-join the network after losing signal. It is still not as fast as most phones, but it is faster than the II.

The main menu is a rotating arc of icons. Only a portion of the available icons are shown at a time, but they remain in the same order, so as you learn to use the phone, you'll remember which direction each application is from the center, the phone dialer. As you scroll to an icon, the right half of the screen displays a large icon for the program as well as some data about it, for instance a list of unread emails, or a quick readout of how many more pictures you can take. Pressing the button that looks like this menu will bring you back to it instantly.

The Sharp Sidekick LX makes it easy to 'phone home!'

I actually own a (T-mobile) Sharp Sidekick LX in blue, and while I did in fact buy it after it had been used two years, when I received it the phone was almost in immaculate condition! The battery had never been replaced, and still works. While it does need to be plugged into the outlet to charge more often than not, and could probably use a new battery soon, it's been running on the same battery for over 4 years now! How unbelievable!

This phone has many advantages, and a few slight disadvantages in my opinion. I love the color, first of all...and I have always adored the twisting motion of the swival screen when you press the proper button to open the phone for use, thus revealing the qwerty and numerical keypad. The large screen makes this phone perfect for playing games and searching the internet, and the color variety available on the screen makes it a wonderful addition to my collection of techie toys. I have never had any problems with this phone when it comes to loading and playing a full game, or even playing a partial or half game if the owner becomes preoccupied with the real life due to a busy schedule. I have used this phone to search the internet with no problems, and while I am not a fan of T-mobile's browser they install on these phones, it does work exceptionally on this phone. Another good thing about this phone, is the phone book/contact list. It holds a vast number of contacts, and maintains this information with no problems. It's also easy to scroll through the list and select exactly the person you wish to talk with. The print for this feature is also large enough to make it easy for anyone to read without straining their eyes.

Another feature of this phone I've enjoyed is the skill with which it uses java. I have never had java start, then stop and restart like I've experienced with a few phones. I was very pleased to see that java had no problems or issues with flow on this phone. The physical qwerty keyboard makes texting extremely easy and it gives the user the capability to text friends and/or contacts without problems. Yet another good thing about this phone is the fact that there are many helpful applications available to help you perform everyday activities with the simplest motions. A speakerphone is included, to provide a simpler way to communicate when your hands are full, and any of a number of bluetooth devices can be used with this phone. I have always gotten mine to work perfectly along with both my Jabra and Plantronics bluetooth devices, as well as my motorola bluetooth device and our motorola bluetooth speakerphone for use while driving.

Another good thing about this phone is it's picture capabilities. You can alter the flash use on the phone for each picture, set the phone for auto flash, or set it to use no flash at all. I've taken many, many pictures with this phone, and all have come out looking wonderful. While the pictures you take with this phone may not appear to be good pictures at all when viewed over the Sidekick screen, once you upload them to your computer or digital picture frame at home, the picture comes out in a very high quality resolution. I have enjoyed taking this camera to a variety of places with multiple lighting settings, and the camera has worked well in all of them. I was very pleased to discover the the camera on this phone worked so well, especially for a camera attached to a cell phone.

This cell phone links up perfectly with your computer or laptop, and transfers of files, pictures, games, etc is simple. The connection is almost instant, and the ease with which one can transfer files makes the action simple.  While all these things definitely add value to the Sidekick phone, I still have a few problems with some situations involved here.

Now, about cons...this phone only has a few, but they will prevent me from buying another phone of the Sidekick model again anytime soon. I enjoy being able to have the freedom to completely personilize my cell phones. After owning a Sidekick LX for a couple of years now, I have come to learn that this isn't possible with this model of phone. It appears that Sharp and T-mobile have worked together to block users from installing their own items on the phone, unless they buy said items from the Sidekick application/theme/ringtone selection that's only available straight on the phone. While a wide variety of songs, in many genres, is available for your selection, I personally do not like the fact that you cannot install or use products you purchased or uploaded yourself on your own phone. This is a major negative on the part of the companies. Another thing, if I have a game I bought or downloaded while using a previous phone, I am not able to play it on my Sidekick. This is another reason I have lost some interest in this phone. Another item that I find a bit key when it comes to the idea of a 'cell phone' is that the phone be small enough to carry around in one's pocket. This is definitely not the case with the Sidekick, that is much too large in size to fit in anyone's pocket, much less be discrete as the person moves from place to place.

Those are my postives and negatives on the Sidekick LX. Please take them into consideration, and keep these things in mind if you are considering purchasing one for yourself. I figured this way, you can purchase with an educated mind on the subject, knowing what to expect from this phone before deciding to buy it.

Awesome Sidekick

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I just love this phone because it does everything I need it to! This phone is like a mini computer! It does everything but cook my dinner! The best thing I love about this phone is the design! It has a screen that flips that reveals a qwerty keyboard. It has a brilliant camera that takes outstanding pics that you can email or post to Twitter or Facebook!

I love this phone!

from Orange City, FL

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I pre-ordered this phone as soon as I heard that they were coming out and I have not regretted that for one day. I had tried a different web enabled phone back in October of last year and ended up taking back after 2 days because it was not user friendly in the least. The Sidekick is not only user friendly, but compact, and totally cute. I love how easy it is to check my facebook or twitter status and how easy it is to browse the internet. Unlike the I-phone there are not a ton of apps that can be added, but do we really need all of those apps.

Disappointment

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

not even having the phone a year the back light went out..in order to replace the phone i have to send it own at my own cost to get if replaced, the trackball works when it wants to, you can not view videos or some pages as you can on other devices

amazing, but room for more.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

The Tmobile Sidekick LX is one of the best  phones out there for teens and texting fanatics! It has a full html web browser, just like the one on your computer! It also is the first sidekick to have video recording capabilites. The Sidekick has a high-def LCD screen that delivers a very clear and crisp viewing experience. The phone also has the classic swivel screen and full qwerty keyboard. The keyboard is adequately spaced and is easy to use. The danger os has pretty much remained the same, and like always its very intuitive and user friendly. It also has the best instant mesaging clients I have ever seen on a mobile phone. The phone comes with aim,  yahoo messenger, and msn messenger. All of your I.M.s get delivered as quickly as if you were on your computer. The Sidekick's email client comes with your own personal tmail, and you can also have your yahoo, aol and hotmail acoounts pushed to your phone.

The phone does however lack a flash player and 3g. However, these are available in the Sidekick LX 09.

i love my sidekick!

It does what it's supposed to, most of the time.

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I've had Motorola's Sidekick Slide for about a year and a half now.  For the most part, I really love my phone.  I like that it has a roller ball instead of the little scroll bar most Sidekicks have, and that the screen slides (hence the name) as opposed to swiveling.  I also like the keypad.  I text alot so a full *readable* keypad is important.

Most people that have Sidekicks know they have their own personalities, and mine is no exception.  This is actually my 2nd one, the 1st one died a mysterious death...and actually showed a sidekick X-X face on the screen.

It randomly powers off, the roller ball will get stuck, and the camera *sucks*.  Other than that, the internet is pretty consistent.  text messages usually come through pretty well, sometimes I won't get a message until way later, or 2 or 3 copies come through, but that's alright too, I guess.

All in all it's an okay phone.  It does what it's supposed to do, though I would change how the phone accesses the SD chip, and allow messages to be stored there as well, and I would let the phone download from the web.

Reliable

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I had this phone for two years and it worked for that period of time.  I did everything that I wanted and sending a text message to on of my friends was fairly simple.  There was shortcuts dedicated to getting to different applications quickly.  It never froze on me and making a call was easy.  It sometimes got bulky if I was in a hurry and had to put it in my pocket but It never got damaged.  I loved how there was an actual keyboard to limit the mistakes on sending a message.  The internet was pretty good and it wasnt the fastest but I still got all the info I needed at a reasonable time.  As the phone got older the battery life started to decrease more and after a few calls the phone was alomst dead.  The signal was sometimes low and my call would get dropped but I would recommend it to someone who didnt mind the size of the phone and loved quick texting and a full keyboard.

Love this Phone

from Watertown, CT

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I love my sidekick! I haven't upgraded to any other phone because I'm so comfortable with it. The big keyboard is easy to use and never a hassle. I have everything from email, to aim, to applications, texting, etc at the tip of a scroll. The only thing to be careful with is not getting the trackball wet or getting any other debris in it because it basically screws up the scrolling. This happened to my first sidekick and I really had to press hard to get it to scroll, a real big pain. Bought a new one and was happy again. The sound is pretty loud, music can be heard effortlessly. You can download backgrounds and lots of other fun stuff. If there's good lighting the cameras pretty amazing and it has a built in flash that you can turn on or off....There's video and recording (60 sec) capabilities. An organizer for upcoming events and dates to remember. A separate thing just for notes which i use for saving quotes and things to remember. The internet works great, you can save bookmarks. I love it

The Sidekick is great for texting, but, not user friendly

from Tehachapi, CA

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

I got the sidekick when I started texting because the touch phone I had was difficult to use due to my arthritis.  It works great for texting and I love that the light changes color to tell you that you have a message, however, it is not user friendly and the volume isn't loud enough.

Overall this phone would be good if i didn't have T-mobile.

from North Dartmouth, MA

Comments about Sharp - Sidekick LX Cell Phone:

First, lets start out with the good and positive parts about this phone. The best part about it is that i can get the internet anywhere I want (as long as I have service in that particular area). Second, I like the swivel on the phone so that I can use a full keyboard and the letters are raised enough so that they are able to be touched without pressing multiple buttons. It is easy to use and has a lot of nice features such as AIM, Email, yahoo messenger and music player. Now for the bad parts, now everyone drops their phone but i find it to be particularly slippery because it is a bulky phone and it doesn't fit in that many places so it happens to fall out of my pocket often. After a few drops, my phone does not hold its charge more than a 5 minute phone call and then it brings up the "dead screen" where i can't even get it to turn back on unless i take out the battery, SIM card and charge it. Also, T-mobile has a horrible cell phone range and I cannot get service in a lot of places. But other than that texting is easy, phone calls are ok and the internet is quite slow.

The Sharp Sidekick LX makes it easy to 'phone home!'

from Abilene, TX