Other Mops & Brooms:
Shark

Pros

Cons

My Shark Steam Mop purchase was the best use of a gift card EVER

I had been wanting one of these for a long time, but was loathe to put a mop on my Christmas list. After Christmas however I gathered up my gift cards and made the big purchase. I am so glad I did! With 2 active dogs, and 2 crazy cats it seems there is always a mess of some kind to clean up. Conventional mops were ineffective at truly cleaning up pet accidents. The sponge mop head, and the mop water smelled of urine and ultimately so did th floor-as you are really just spreading the "accident" around even farther. With the Shark steam mop however, I simply use a paper towel to soak up the bulk of the liquid and then steam mop over the spot. The area is clean, fresh & deodorized. Even for common pet odors like the floor where they lay, it gets rid of odors.

The mop heats up in seconds and the steam leaves a scent of clean. The mop covers wash easily. I assigned one for bathroom floors by making a mark on it w/ a permanent marker to identify it. I have used the mop on linoleum,ceramic tile and even wood floors with consistently great results. You'll be amazed at how much dirt comes up off of your "clean" floor the first you use it. For muddy prints, and sticky spills that have dried somewhat, simply apply a few bursts of steam and wait a few seconds, you may need to repeat but most spills will come up fairly quickly.

Some may be put off by the price of the Shark Steam mop-but when you factor in buying a regular mop, mop heads and cleaning solutions the Shark soon pays for itself and is worth it's weight in gold in my humble opinion. After the initial purchase of your mop you may want to get a few more mop heads so you can rotate through them. Other than that the only thing you may needt is distilled water if you live in a hard water area. If you are green minded and or have small children and pets that play on the floor you no longer have to worry about using harsh chemicals to get clean floors. In my book this is a real plus!

My grown daughters were over for my birthday with their boyfriends and everyone took a turn using the mop, I felt like Tom Sawyer getting the fence painted-they all enjoyed using it and were amazed at how easy & effective it was, and before I knew it the whole downstairs was mopped!.I love my Shark steam mop and now everyone I know wants one too!

I'm not sure my floors are actually being cleaned

I received the Shark Steam Mop as a Christmas present a few years ago. As a mother of a small child, I was really excited to have a mop that did not require the use of harsh chemicals. I loved the idea that I'd simply be using water (and steam) to clean my floors.

For the first year or so, the steam mop seemed to do what it was supposed to do. I used it on my dark wood laminate floors as well as my vinyl (linoleum) kitchen and bathroom floors after I had first used a broom to clean up the large pieces of crumbs and dirt. The steam would come out of the part of the mop that contacts the floor and would leave a minimal amount of wetness as I moved it back and forth across the area that I was cleaning. I could tell that the steam was very hot, so I assumed that my floors were being cleaned. Also, the pad was very dirty afterwards, so that made me think that it was doing its job. However, even after all of these indicators, it was still hard for me to fully trust that my floors were being cleaned to my standards.

A few years later, and I can say that I am even more concerned that my floors aren't being cleaned properly. The pad still gets dirty every time I use the mop, but the steam doesn't seem to be dispelled in the same manner anymore. Instead of drying up almost immediately, the steam turns into water leaving a lot of wetness behind on my floors.

I would not recommend this product to a friend, because it's not very reliable. I am considering going in a different direction myself.

Shark steam mop

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

Works good and the best thing is you only need to add water, no harsh chemicals. I have been using the shark steam mop for a year. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy another product that did not do what it said it would do. But, I must say, I enjoy cleaning my hardwood floors with the steam mop.

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

This is by far the best floor cleaner I have ever used! Works great and the best thing is you only need to add water, no harsh chemicals needed. I have kids and pets so I like to keep things natural and it so gets the job done. I would recommend this to everyone I know and some.

Sometimes Steam is the Best Way to Clean

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

We live in a small old house that we have renovated. The only problem is that our small...old...house has really small closets with very little storage room. So up until we found the steam mop I have mostly used the old fashioned mop (squeezing it into the sink) or a Wet Jet; neither of which worked really well in keeping our floors (with the traffic of 4 humans, 3 cats and a dog) really clean. I was skeptical that the steam mop would do much better so I held off purchasing it until I found it really cheap. I'm quite surprised at how well it works. Because there aren't any chemicals involved I only have to run it over the floor once (saving time) and it does a pretty good job of keep the floors clean. It is a bit of a workout to use but there is no waste (i.e. nasty mop water or paper/plastic cleaning pads) so I feel much better about using it more often. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because of the small water reservoir. I have to fill it at least 3 times just to clean my kitchen floor. Otherwise this is a great tool for keeping your house clean. I would especially recommend it to parents with young children and pet owners who want to keep their floors clean without using harsh chemicals.

I Would Buy It Again!

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

We've had the Shark Steam Mop for a few years now and it has been worth every penny. I use it on my kitchen and bathroom floors, which have vinyl flooring.

The positives: The Steam Mop is simple to use. You attach the cotton cleaning pad (re-usable, washable) and fill the reservoir with water. Then you plug it in and let it heat the water into steam, which doesn't take very long at all -- maybe 30 seconds. The cord is nice and long, which is so helpful when you're cleaning a large room or maneuvering around the kitchen table and chairs. The steam is ejected every time you push the mop forward, so all you have to do is move the mop back and forth like normal and it does it for you. You can clean for a very long time on one tank of water. It cleans up dirt, grime, and dried/stuck on food messes. The steam seems to loosen it all up. I love not having to use a bucket of water! Clean up is so easy. It comes with extra cleaning pads, so you can use one while the other is in the wash. If I have a really dirty floor, I will change pads if I need to. I feel like my floors are being sanitized somewhat too, because of the steam, which makes me feel good. The Shark Steam Mop is a really easy product to use, very lightweight, and hardly takes up any storage space.

The negatives: The water reservoir is located at the base of the mop. You have to use a pitcher or something with a spout to fill it with water. This requires bending down to reach it or lifting the mop up towards you to fill it. Also, sometimes the cleaning pad doesn't want glide right at first, depending on how moist it is, but if you pump the handle a few times it starts working fine. Finally, after lots and lots of use, the metal pole between the handle and the mop head, seems to be a little wobbly and I worry it might bow.

Overall, if I had to do it over again, I would buy the Shark Steam Mop again!

AMAZING

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

I clean homes for a living and ran across The Shark Stem Mop at one of my homes. I usually only used the old school string mop and alot of elbow grease! But that day i was honestly looking for a short cut. I plugged it in and within seconds it was stemming and roaring to clean! U could see the difference between the dirty floor and the clean floor. After doing the first floor i checked the reusable micro fiber cloth, it was black from dirt and built up trash. After finishing all the floors the homeowners were amazed and so was I! The floors looked brand new again! I went & bought one of my own within days. The Shark Stem Mop is a back saver and i wouldn't live without one!

The Shark Steam Mop

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

Okay, so we finally got ourselves this Shark vacuum and it came with the steam mop at half price or some junk... I think I know why! My daughters 4th birthday was just a few days ago and that evening i went to mop up the tiny bits of cake that the broom didn't sweep up from having been smashed into the floor and i had to actually get down and scratch it up with my finger. Cake! That's all, not candy, or anything super sticky, just some cake crumbs! Also, the mop itself is fairly light but having to push and pull so much just to break down a little bit of debris, wears out your arms pretty quickly. You would definitely be better off just using your old mop. If i hadn't already thrown out my old one I'd be using it. Instead, I use an all purpose cleaner and a rag and wipe up the sticky spot and swiffer when its necessary. I use the Shark Steam Mop once a week just because the money was spent and I don't want it to be a complete waste. Overall I'd have to say I'm not going to tell any friends or family to get the steam mop, because it's no better than the Swiffer I already have in the closet.

Cleans well... But not quite user friendly.

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

The Shark Steam Mop S3101 is combined with both positive and negative aspects that will easily sway a consumer to either buy or leave on the store shelf. I have owned mine for a couple years and it still works great. Granted I have only used a handful of times (due to the cons of ease of use), but it does the job well so I am not ready to replace. I use the Shark Steam Mop S3101 on both hardwood floors and tile with no problems.
PROS: Lightweight and compact - Shark Steam Mop S3101 is easy to maneuver and easy to carry room to room. The compact design allows for storage in small closets or tight areas. The cleaning pad is machine washable and replacements have never been hard for me to find. Startup is quick and easy being ready for use in approximately 1 min.
CONS: To release steam you push down on the handle in a pumping motion. I have one room in my house with carpet, after cleaning my kitchen and living room I am done with pushing on a handle. The container for the cleaning liquid is small. I have to refill at least twice for my living room. The solution container is not user friendly so remember to use the pouring container provided. My final reason the Shark Steam Mop S3101 spends more time in the laundry room than cleaning - the swiffer wet jet and new Shark spray Mop clean the floor without any hassle.
For me, the Shark Steam Mop S3101 is best used for my deep cleans prior to using a wood finish on my floors.

Easy and Conveinent to use

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

This steam mop is easy and very convenient to use. I use it in about a quarter of the house (the rest is carpet) and I think it is great for that amount of work. It quickly heats up and is ready to start using. I am easily able to move it from room to room when I'm cleaning. It is lightweight which is excellent because my seven and six year old children enjoy helping me mop. I also store it hanging up above my head in the garage which I was unable to do with my last mop due to the weight. My only drawback is I feel that it doesn't get the corners or along the edge of the wall as clean as the rest of the floor. Some of the dirt seems to get pushed to those areas and I find I have to go back with a rag and clean that up. This however seems to be the case with any mop that I have used. The shark steam mop leaves the floor shining. Overall, it leaves the floors looking very clean and I love that you don't have to use any chemicals.

Super Clean Floor

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

I purchased my Shark Steam Mop several years ago and love it! My kitchen floor has been down for years and my steam mop does such a great cleaning job, I've put off having new linoleum put down. It also does a good job on my tile flooring in the baths and sunroom. I simply fill the water tank, plug in in, and before I know it, it's steaming and ready to get to work. The micro-fiber pad is easy to attach, just press it on and it's done. It also does a great steaming job on my area rugs, using the carpet glider. It won't clean it, but it does freshen them. I have cats and dogs inside, so I often have to freshen up my rugs. The pad is also washable, just be sure to wash in warm water and use a liquid detergent. They have colored tabs on them, so you can have one for particular jobs, like your linoleum, tile, rugs or carpet, and possibly pet stains. Be sure to attach your pad before you use it or you may end up with scratched floors!

This is a great addition to your cleaning routine.

Comments about Shark Steam Mop S3101:

This is the basic model of the Shark steam mop line. For me, the main use of this mop is to do in between detailed mops. I mop my floors every day, so if I mop with soap & water one day, then I will use this mop the next day. I use this mop on tile and laminate hardwood floors, and it does a wonderful job. For laminate, it is great, because you cannot use any harsh chemicals that may damage the floor. The steam mop allows you to sanitize and not use any chemicals. I have little children , so that is important to me. Another factor to consider, especially if you have small children, is that the steam mop does not get the floors really wet and they dry really fast. So kids will not run in the room and slip and fall. I think this can really save you money too if you think about all the chemicals that you won't have to buy, as this mop only uses water to clean. What a great thing for the environment as well.