3.5

3.5

Seventh Generation Surface Wipes: Effective but nothing special

from Boca Raton, FL

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

Earlier this year when my father-in-law came to live with us for several weeks he asked me to bring over some cleaning products he had stored in his garage. Among them was a canister of Seventh Generation Surface Wipes. My in-laws have never shown any "Green" inclination so I have to assume they found these wipes at deep discount.

While I found these wipes to be competent performers, I don't find them any better than wipes from Clorox or Lysol, particularly when price is included in the equation.

All things considered, when I finished the canister of wipes I wasn't inclined to purchase another.

Although the individual wipes are thin, they are fully saturated and hold together well. One wipe can easily handle all of my kitchen counters before having to be discarded. Seventh Generation claims that these wipes kill 99.9% of all germs including the H1N1 virus. I'll take them at their word on that.

The wipes are a little sudsy, presumably due to their inclusion of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, a common, often maligned surfactant found in most shampoos and beauty bars. In use on my granite counters I find that the SLS often leaves a thin film on surfaces, requiring an additional rinse of the surfaces after use of the product. This strikes me as a bit counter productive.

Ingredients: Thymol (component of thyme oil), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate (Bluestone), Citric Acid, Essential oils and botanical extracts*: Origanum vulgare (Oregeno) Oil, Cymbopogon schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Aqua *Citral is a component of these essential oils.

While I like herbal scents and didn't object to the combination of Thyme, Lemon and Lemongrass, my wife and daughter found the scent funky, particularly just after the wipe is used. Although the scent dissipates within several minutes on hard surfaces it does tend to linger on your hands for a longer period of time

Cleaning good and green with Seventh Generation wipes

from Houston, TX

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

I'm a big fan of Seventh Generation products and quite often even make my own cleaners for the house because I do try to save money and be eco-friendly. I like the concept of easy to use cleaning wipes so with a coupon I was convinced to give them a try.

They may not be for everyone, but personally I'm pretty happy with them.

They sheets are thin but I can get quite a bit of the kitchen or bathroom cleaned with just one.

They perform well cleaning and disinfecting a variety of surfaces. I can use it on counters, toilets, sinks, bath tube (for a quick wipe), door knobs and a number of other surfaces in the house.

The scent is lemon, thyme and lemongrass. This is the kicker. You either like those scents or you don't. Alone lemongrass and thyme both can be a strong scent and mixed together some may not like it. I can put up with it, but it's not my favorite.

Seventh Generation Surface Wipes are not worth paying full price

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

I got my Seventh Generation Surface Wipes in the big 70 count canister for just 99 cents, using coupons. This is a great buy, as surface wipes can work out expensive, compared to using a spray, or cream.

Upon opening them I have to say that the lemon smell, wasn't that nice. I have Lysol disinfecting wipes that smell amazing.

They are fairly thin, and wet, so they do a fairly good job on my counter tops. I have also used them to wipe around the toilet bowls, as I have three to keep clean.

I personally wouldn't buy them if I was paying retail for them, or even half price, but for 99 cents I will finish them up.

They are thinner than my other wipes, and only do one lot of cleaning for me. I would have expected more of them.

They clean my surfaces well, and they look good after using them.

Although I love the smell of lemon, this lemon smell was altered with something, and just didn't smell good to me. Such a shame.

Wow it is lovely

from Center Barnstead, NH

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

I used the seventh generation surface wipes for the first time last week and LOVE! I anticipate having them in my home again and again.

What did I do before? I would windex counter tops and surfaces and wipe them with a paper towel. I have learned that windex is not a good safe clean natural product!

The seventh generation wipes are useful to clean kitchen counters tops, bath areas, sinks and even the wc seat. I can't imagine going back to windexing and paper toweling that, and having it come in so much contact with our skin. Instead when cleaning the bathroom, I wiped the seat with the wipes and wow - so clean, fresh smelling and not mess, no fuss, I tossed them in the bin right away. The wipes are good to keep in the car too.

Wasn't all that impressed w/7th Gen Surface wipes

from Herculaneum, MO

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

I received a FREE cannister of 7th Generation a few months ago.  I'm a frugal shopper who uses coupons, so I have a stockpile built up of products, pantry items, etc...by the time this cannister came up for use, it was several months old.  When I opened it, the first thing that hit me was a soured smell. t was almost like a chemical smell, but not fresh at all. Because of the smell, I didn't know what to expect, so I didn't want to use it in the kitchen, so I decided to use it on the washer and dryer, and although it seemed to clean ok, the smell was not good and gave me a headache.  I ended up giving the cannister (less the 2 that I used on the washer/dryer) to my husband to use in the garage.  I wasn't impressed with this factor of the item...it should have a better shelf life than just a few months.  I've talked with a couple of my friends, and they've indicated that there's a chemically-type smell even when they open it soon after purchasing...I think that 'better for the environment' should be able to be made to smell a little better than chemically.

Good for the enviornment, but not for your nose

from Springboro, PA

Comments about Seventh Generation Surface Wipes - 70-Count:

I was excited to get a coupon for seventh generation wipes and target also was offering a coupon, so you can stack those two together, meaning I only had to spend 99 cents for a tub of antibacterial wipes, so not too shabby.  I purchased them and headed home to try out my purchase.  The concept is nice, its all natural, not harmful for your family.  The smell was lemongrass and thyme, I opened the lid and the smell was not pleasant.  It almost smelled like when you are driving by a construction site and they are tarring the roads.  The kids immediately went pee-you what is that smell.  But I decided to try them none the less.  The wipe is thin, but wet and it does do a nice job in wiping off the table and high chair.  The smell does go away, it kind of stays in your hands a little, but not on the surface of the table.  My normal brand (clorox) kills the germs quicker also, this brand you had to let it dry and it could take up to 30 minutes for some germs which when you have two kids under 4, sometimes that is not possible.  All in all good product, great company with good values in mind, but I am not sold on these paritcular wipes.  If the smell was better, maybe, but I still wish they disininfected quicker.