Other Detergents:
Laundry Detergent
Seventh Generation
Seventh Generation Free & Clear 2X Concentrated Laundry Detergent

Seventh Generation Free & Clear 2X Concentrated Laundry Detergent

Pros

• Effective (5)
  • Easy to use (4)
  • Gets stains out (4)
  • Great scent (4)
  • Safe for delicate clothes/skin (4)

• Laundry room (3)

Tough on dirt, Not Skin.

Trying to find a laundry detergent that is strong enough to get clothes clean without being so harsh or chemical laden that it irritates skin is harder than it sounds. My boys have sensitive skin and over the past couple of years I have noticed that if I even dry my hands with a towel that's been washed in regular detergent I see the results in about fifteen minutes. A red scaly patch usually develops after a couple hours even if I have washed my hands and put on lotion. The only time that I buy regular detergent is when I need to wash mud-cake towels and rags from camping, paint balling or hunting and even then, those items get washed once then put through a second wash cycle (with no detergent) to make sure that everything is free of any scent or dye. Since this is concentrated you are going to want to make sure that you aren't using a standard cup size when dispensing it. For medium to large loads I use the 1/2 cup marking on the lid; this is not the same as an actual half cup (four ounces). The bottle is nicely shaped so you can have complete control over it regardless of whether it is brand new or half empty. There is a decent amount of foam but it washes away without needing extra agitation; that means it is a powerful cleaner without needing bleach or other additives that commonly leave a scent behind in the fabric or that can cause irritation when someone starts sweating or in humid conditions.

I Am All For Natural, But This Didn't Quite Make The Grade

When a company talks about products being natural and non-harmful to the environment, I expect them to be more on the natural side. While the ingredients in this laundry detergent tend toward the less severely chemical, they do use Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is a very heavy de-greaser used for garage floors. In a laundry situation that is not too bad, but honestly, I just was not that impressed with this detergent. Other brands also use SLS in their detergents, so are we really into a product that is THAT different? It was okay, but didn't leave clothes that much cleaner or nicer than any other brand, and there was no scent to linger at all either (hence the name Free and Clear)

This detergent got clothes clean, that is true. I didn't see them getting any cleaner than our favorites of Arm and Hammer or Fab, and it is a lot more expensive too. I found that clothes felt a bit scratchy after using this, and that the clothes were decently clean but not as nice as some other products I have used. The bottle you get is a lot smaller than you think it will be too if you send away for it like I did the first time. I just think for the price point it is a bit too expensive compared to the cheaper detergents which are similar in ingredients. I do agree that the additives in this detergent are less harmful than some other brands, but not really all that different than the brands we tend to like to use. We have concerns for ground water as we have our water source from the ground so we are always testing products to see what the results will be on our water systems. So far we are happy with what we are using and tend to pass over purchasing this one again. If the price came down, we might consider using in the future, but for now, it just isn't doing it for us.

The scent of this detergent is non-existent in the Free and Clear, but even the other scented versions they are natural at first, but they fade fast so it is not an issue.

Helps with stain removal

from Belle Plaine Iowa

About Me Parent

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Gets Stains Out
  • Great Scent
  • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin

• Laundry Room

Comments about Seventh Generation Free & Clear 2X Concentrated Laundry Detergent:

I absolutely am in love with this detergent. If you're looking for a chemical free option to washing clothes, this is great stuff. I had a pile of clothes to remove formula stains from, and letting this soak for an hour on the stain and running through the wash, the stains were gone!

Seventh generation

from Mcdonough, ga

About Me Parent

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • Effective
    • Gets Stains Out
    • Great Scent
    • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin
    • Simple Instructions

Cons

• Nothing to add

• Laundry Room

I received a sample and loved it. It worked very well.

Buy it all of the time

from Los Angeles, CA

About Me Housekeeper

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • Effective
    • Great Scent
    • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin

Cons

• Expensive

i love using this brand for my laundry, gets my clothes clean and doesn't cause any skin reaction. its funny its "free and clear" but my dad says he loves the way it smells.

I love this soap

from Appleton Wisconsin

About Me Renter

Pros

• Easy To Use
      • Effective
      • Gets Stains Out
      • Great Scent
      • Safe For Delicate Clothes/Skin
      • Simple Instructions

Cons

• Expensive

• Cleaning
      • Home

I love to use on my ferrets and guinea pigs bedding so it dose not harm them.Aslo I love to use it for my clothes as well I have sensitive skin. Smells great and works well.Only problem it's kind of expensive there needs to be more coupons.

Tough on dirt, Not Skin.

from Pittsburgh, PA

About Me Homeowner

Pros

• Dye Free
      • Effective
      • Gets Stains Out
      • Scent Free

Cons

• Can be hard to find

• Laundry Room

This is the perfect soap!!

from Memphis, TN

We decided to switch to the natural laundry detergents back when I got pregnant with my first child, back in 2001.And we've switched between natural brands but we started with Seventh Generation Free and Clear and we've come back around to Seventh Generation Free and Clear. My hubby doesn't like the smells of others, he says they make his allergies mess up. Free and Clear has no smell so you know EVERYTHING is gone. All the bad odors weren't just covered they were removed. This Seventh Generation Free and Clear laundry detergent is the way to go when you or someone in your family have sensitive skin or when theres a new baby born and people always wonder if things will be hard on the baby... don't think twice about things and wonder and wonder, just get Seventh Generation Free and Clear laundry detergent and have an ease of mind because it takes the guess work out of the equation. Free and Clear is the perfect for sensitive skin, perfect for babies clothes soap.

There is NEVER anything left that you didn't want.

It's wonderful, there isn't one.

Gentle Enough for Baby's Laundry

from Irvine, CA

I started using Seventh Generation products when I got pregnant with my first child. I love that their products are eco-friendly and non-toxic. Seventh Generation is a little more expensive than other detergents but it is worth it.

The detergent is a concentrated formula so you may think you aren't using enough detergent, but it's enough. You will be using about half the amount as other detergents so a smaller bottle will last you just as long as the big bottles of detergents by other brands. Just follow the lines on the cap . I complement my washes with Oxi-Clean to make sure whites are whiter and colors stay.

Even though the detergent is unscented, I am giving it a 10 points for that reason, that it's UNSCENTED. And it's free of other chemicals. While the floral and fruity scents are nice, I rather have unscented laundry so there will be no risk of skin irritation for my family.

Seventh Generation 2X Free & Clear Detergent Is Gentle On Skin

from Grand Rapids, MI

I decided to cloth diaper with my youngest son, and while looking for detergents to use on his diapers I came across some positive reviews for Seventh Generation 2X Concentrated Laundry Detergent Free & Clear. I decided to give it a try as it was WAY less expensive than some of the other cloth diaper detergents that I found.

Overall, I was very pleased with this detergent. It did a good job of getting the stains out of my son's diapers and also removed the smell, both good things. It also didn't irritate his sensitive skin, which I liked.

I also tried this detergent on our regular household laundry and it did a good job of getting out stains (even grass stains from my oldest son's pants). I am currently rotating it with other detergents for my son's diapers as I did find that smell did build up after awhile.

I would recommend this detergent for those looking to do baby laundry or those who have sensitive skin.

Love that 7th Gen is now making free & clear

from Wisconsin

I use a LOT of Seventh Generation cleaning products, and their free & clear laundry detergent has been a frequent visitor here. It's not as inexpensive as some of the all-natural ones I use, but it's not that bad. Most importantly, it works well and it doesn't take a lot to do it. I like that it doesn't leave a film inside the washer and you can use even less with an HE front loader. Most of the Seventh Generation products I use I just order online directly through their site, so it's easy for me to buy this free & clear detergent. I do a lot of laundry for having only four people living in this household, but I'm a fussy person when it comes to our clothes. I like our sheets washed a minimum of once a week, I wash all the bedding once a month, and that's a lot of blankets and comforters, which I don't mind because I'm one of those rare people who actually enjoys doing laundry, so it's important for me to have high-quality detergent. My husband wears crisp, clean pinpoint and oxford shirts under his suits, so again, we need to be able to count on our detergent. This Seventh Gen has filled the bill.

great natural laundry detergent.

from Stroudsburg, PA

I am trying to use more natural products in my house that is why I decided to buy the Seventh Generation 2x Concentrated Laundry Detergent Free & Clear at my local health food store. It is free of harmful toxin or chemicals, fragrances, dyes, and it's also hypoallergenic.

I've started using hypoallergenic scent free laundry detergents because I find that the regular detergents irritate my skin and cause me to have allergic reactions to it. The Free and Clear has absolutely no scent so I don't have to worry about it bothering me at all. Even though it's a natural laundry detergent it does an amazing job at cleaning my clothes and getting rid of all odors. I like that it gets all my clothes clean and smelling free without all of those harsh harmful chemicals that other laundry detergents have.

Even though this is a little pricey, since this is two times concentrated, you don't even have to use a full capful to wash a load of laundry. A jug of this detergent lasts quite awhile. I just wish they would carry this at my local grocery store so I wouldn't have to keep making an extra trip to the health food store.

I even got my mom to start using this too.

I highly recommend this to people with sensitive skin and allergies.

It has a strong concentrated formula, so you really do not need much of this to clean a load of laundry at all. Its natural and it works just as good as the laundry detergents that are not. My clothes are always clean and stain free, without all that fragrance and added chemicals.

There is absolutely no scent to this detergent. That is why it is called free and clear, because it's free and clear of fragrances. I love a fragrance free detergent because some detergents bother my allergies, and are too strong for me.