4.1
Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers

Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers

4.1

• Absorbency:

Good if you are using disposables.

I used to be a dedicated Pampers diapers user with my three girls.  After everything in the news about the rashes and my newest little one being sensitive I decided to play it as safe as I could and go with Seventh Generation.  Actually we are a cloth diapering family, but use disposables from time to time on vacation, etc.

On one vacation this summer, my  6 month old wore these diapers for almost a week.  They worked wonderfully!  Everyone commented on the tan color and the lack of bright cartoony figures, but I thought it was refreshing.  We did not have any leaks overnight.  I think she did leak poop out of them a couple of times, but nothing too major.

I like that Seventh Generation discloses all their ingredients (not so with Pampers) and cares about the environment.  I feel like buying these diapers (aside from using cloth most of the time!) is the best choice out there.  They are soft and fit my baby nicely as well.

Heard great things but disappointed in NEWBORN size

I am so disappointed at how these ended up not working for our family. We initially decided to go with cloth diapers (BUM GENIUS 3.0). However our midwives recommeded going with a disposable diaper for the first few weeks or so for various reasons, including

1. meconium. Baby's first poop which is black, tarry, and apprently sticks to anything and everything

2. convenience. Were we *really* going to wash a load of diapers every/every other day while I was still recovering?

3. umbilical cord. That little umbilical stump was not meant to be rubbed against. Cloth diaper makers didn't think of this one (at least our brand of cloth diapers didn't)

Anyway I had heard the name Seventh Generation in good light a bunch of times and decided to go with them. We got the newborn size and were HORRIFIED at how bad it was. It did not absorb much liquid, making newborn explosions (which are very watery), leak all over the place. Did I mention we were co-sleeping? Not fun.

The main problem with the newborn size is that the back did not have good fit/elastic on the rear ends. That meant a big gaping space for poop and pee to spill out from when the diaper was full. The legs also had poor elasticity and leaked after an hour or so.

We switched brands a couple of times, looking for eco-conscious brands, and interestingly enough they were all horrible. Seventh Generation was the least horrible of them all.

I did some research and apparently Seventh Generation had *just* redone the design of the NEWBORN size... which ended up being more boxy (read: bad fit), and overall cheaper in quality than their previous versions. Probably to save money? Who knows. Apparently this only affected the NEWBORN size and the other sizes are just fine. At that point we had a bad taste in our mouth from disposables and just decided to start using our cloth diapers.

Instead of giving this review 1 star, I am giving 2 stars as benefit of the doubt to say that maybe their larger sizes are worthwhile as far as disposable diapers go... plus 1 more star for being an eco-conscious brand.

Great for the environment, and my baby!

from Boston, MA

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• Adjustable Fit
  • Eco-Friendly
  • Good Value

Cons

• Not Super Absorbent

• Infants
  • Newborn
  • Toddlers

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I love how the diapers are good for the environment as well as chemical free and safe for my baby's skin. But, they aren't the most absorbent diapers or the softest ever. They are great for during the day, but I sometimes run into issues if she sleeps all the way through the night where they leak a bit by morning.

Great ecofriendly diapers

from Greer, SC

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Adjustable Fit
  • Eco-Friendly
  • Good Value
  • Highly Absorbent
  • Snug Fit
  • Soft

• Infants
    • Newborn
    • Toddlers

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

We used Seventh Generation diapers with our second daughter after I gained some knowledge about the chemicals in disposable diapers. We really liked these diapers. The unbleached brownish color was a little alarming at first, but we grew to like it. Our daughter did really well in these. They seemed durable and comfortable on her. We didn't have any leaks or ripped side tabs. They are a bit pricey, but with sales and coupons they are more affordable. They were great over night diapers too. I love the fact that they are ecofriendly and safe for little bums. Our family would highly recommend these to any family needing diapers.

Good Natural Diapers

from Florida

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I have used these a couple times with my newborn and I have to say they hold up pretty well.

I do like that they are all natural. Not that I go out of my way to buy all natural products for myself but I have been more aware of all natural products since having the baby. They are well made, the elastic is stretchy and stays in place well. They are true to size, and they are cheaper than a lot of the other all natural diapers that are on the market.

I do recommend them to mommies who are looking for all natural diapers or whose babies are allergic to other brands.

They are easy to use, the elastic is really good and strong and stays in place well on these diapers.

Leak Prevention
    Overnight I did have a little issue with leaking, but that was the only time. Otherwise there hasn't been an issue with leaking when using these diapers.

Comfort
    I was half expecting them to be rough, they turned out being soft and look super comfy. Baby doesn't seem to notice a difference between these and the other diapers she wears. So I would assume they are pretty comfy.

Absorbency
    Plenty absorbent for regular every few hour diaper changes, wouldn't use them for a baby who sleeps all night though, since I had a small leaking problem with them when baby wore one overnight.

Will not purchase again

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I love the idea of these diapers. They are more environmentally friendly and have fewer chemicals and toxic substances that sit on the baby's bottom. One would think that those wonderful qualities alone would make this the ideal diaper. Sadly, they just didn't seem as effective as standard chemical-laden diapers. I tried a pack of the size four on my son and he had a reaction. He is not prone to irritations or reactions and does not have overly sensitive skin. I think that these were problematic since they just did not pull the moisture away from the skin as well as other brands. He would wake up from a nap or in the morning and have a red irritation where ever the diaper was and the rest of his skin was fine. It was not a rash but it was very red. We tried them on him a few times and then realized that if he was not immediately changed the diapers affected his skin quite a bit. They also seem to dispel the liquid from the diaper. Not impressed with our experience but I do think that the concept of a diaper that is possibly safer for the baby is a wonderful notion.

Caused Diaper Rash

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I decided to try Seventh Generation diapers when I got a coupon for them. I liked that they were chlorine free and environmentally friendly. I expected them to be better for my baby's skin than other commercial diapers because they had less chemicals in them. How wrong I turned out to be. Immediately after I started using them on my son, he broke out with diaper rash. I had not changed anything else that I was using on him, so I knew the diapers was the cause. I used them for a few days with diaper rash creams, but the rash did not go away. I returned the box of diapers to the store and switched back to the brand I was previously using, and the diaper rash went away. I was very disappointed because I expected so much more from Seventh Generation.

They are just as easy to use as any other diaper.

Leak Prevention
    The diapers did not leak any more than any other brand I've tried.

Comfort
    These diapers are soft to the touch.

They absorb very well.

• Absorbency:

Environmentally friendly diaper with absorbency and comfort.

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

We used these diapers when my son was a newborn. They worked well for that stage. They did not seem to be as absorbent as Pampers or Huggies. We changed our son's diaper very often at that age so the absorbency was never an issue. They probably would not work as an overnight diaper for babies that sleep for long stretches. They are a plain off white color and do not contain any designs or prints. We did not have any leaks or problems with the closures breaking off the diapers. If you are concerned about the environment, cloth diapering is probably a better choice, but these would be a good choice for disposables.

The diapers were easy to use and held up well.

Leak Prevention
    We did not experience any leaks in these diapers.

Comfort
    These diapers seemed soft and did not irritate my son's skin.

Absorbency
    We used these diapers when my son was a newborn. They worked fine at that stage, but did seem less absorbent than Pampers or Huggies. This is probably because Seventh Generation does not use all the chemicals that other manufacturers use. They still seemed absorbent enough and we did not have any leaks. I would not use them for overnights.

Great natural diaper option

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

Seventh Generation diapers have worked really well for our little one. We have used other conventional brands, and while she has only ever had some mild diaper rash from time to time, it's been non existent when we use these diapers. I really like that these don't have the chemicals and things that other brands do. It's better for the little one's skin, and it makes me feel a little better when I'm throwing all those dirty diapers in the trash can. They're a bit pricey, but I think overall they are worth the extra expense.

The tabs on these work just like other diapers, very easy to put on and take off.

Leak Prevention
    After several months of use, I can't recall any leaks, even after being worn overnight.

Comfort
    The little one seems comfortable in these diapers, other than a little bit of tugging on occasion she hasn't shown any signs of discomfort

Absorbency
    I have been very impressed by the absorbency of these diapers. They do well overnight for 12 straight hours.

great natural diapers

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I was so excited to see these diapers and was pleased to see that a brand of diapers came out with a more natural fibered diaper which is all around healthier for my babies bottom, The less chemicals near my babies skin the better and along with the natural benefit of these diapers they also work very well and really stand up to all my childs stages.

Like with any other disposable diaper these diapers are very easy to use and dispose of after each use. I like that now when I am disposing of my babies diaper it is made of more natural products so it is also better for my environment.

Leak Prevention
    These diapers are very well made and stand up to leaks very well even when my baby got mobile and started moving around they still worked great.

Comfort
    The soft fibers cloth type diaper covering is soft and breathable without leaks so it is soft and gentle against my babies bottom without harsh chemicals.

Absorbency
    these diapers are super absorbant and keep my baby dry.

Do Not Hold As Much

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I was not very happy with these diapers at all especially for the price. They do not hold as much pee as other diaper brands and I had more leaks with these diapers then any other brand that we have used including pampers, huggies, luvs, and target brand. It is also hard to tell if it is a full diaper or not, because even with a little pee in them, they look full. My 2 year old has eczema so I thought these would work well for him with this sensitive skin, but I was wrong. The diapers are very hard, not soft on the outside, so he broke out very bad where they rub his skin on the his leg.

Just as easy to use as any other diaper brand.

Leak Prevention
    I only used these for a week for my 7 month old daughter, and they leaked many times for me. I was horribly disappointed, I have never had this many leaks with huggies, pampers, luvs, or the target brand diaper

Comfort
    They are not a very soft diaper on the outside. My 7 month old daughter had no problems with them. I tried these on my 2 year old son who has eczema and he broke out very bad on his legs where the diaper was, so they do not do well with sensitive skin

Absorbency
    They absorbed ok, but I noticed that they do not absorb as much as huggies or pampers. These are not a diaper to use at nighttime.

Great natural diapers.

Comments about Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Diapers:

I really loved using these diapers on my little angel! I loved the fact that they are chlorine free! I am constantly looking for new and natural products for my baby. I always want the very best for her. I thought that these diapers were extremely cute. They have simple designs that work for little boys or girls and I thought the design was nice. The fit of this diaper was wonderful. When my daughter wore these diapers they fit her so wonderfully. We never had any issues with leaking and the sizes were perfect. I also noticed that my daughter had less rashes with this brand which I loved! One thing I didn't like about this brand was the cost. Why should we pay so much extra just to have a natural product. It doesn't seem right to me. I would however recommend these diapers to others that can afford them.

Leak Prevention
    We never had a leaking problem with these diapers.

Comfort
    I definitely could tell these diapers were comfortable for my baby!

Great absorbency!