3.3

Seroquel Medication

3.3

Pros

Cons

Seroquel works great for my Bipolar Disorder!

**Seroquel Works Great For My Bipolar Disorder!**I have been taking the medication Seroquel for six months.This medications starts it's charm almost immediately! I am a sufferer of Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorder is a very severe mental disorder. You have extreme high moods and extreme low moods. You can experience these type of moodsand not be Bipolar. The severity of the disorder can range different for all people. When in severe high moods calledmanic mania, the person doesn't sleep for days, and has excessenergy that is most commonly useless due to the brain being clustered with to many thoughts at one time. This leads to poor logical thinking, money spending spells, and promiscuous behaviors. When the person is experiencing extreme lows called manic depression, the person often becomes so depressedthat they present suicidal behaviors. Seroquel is often prescribedto people with this condition for the mood stabilizer, and to prevent extreme manic mania and manic depression. Some of the side effects that I have experienced is drowsiness, weight gain, metal taste in mouth, dizziness, tremors, and some abdominalpain. These side effects were not so bad that I could not take the medication. I started seeing a difference within the first couple ofdays of taking this medication. My moods stabilized, and I was freeof any depression or manic highs. I am pretty much level now! I have tried many different medications for Bipolar Disorder, and this medication has worked best for me!**Other Con's About Seroquel**I can not drive while taking this medication. I am supposed to takeit during the day at  a much smaller dose, as well as at night for insomnia.I do miss being able to drive a vehicle. I did put on ten pounds, but I feel that the mental affects out weigh the physicalones.I can not drink and take this medication because it can cause severe adverseaffects with the medications out come of affect.I sometimes do get restless leg syndrome, night swet's, and abnormal dreams as a common side effect of Seroquel.**Over All Opinion**I have tried many medications for my Bipolar Disorder, but this combined with some other mediations make the best out come for me and my family.

horrible drug, caused my diabetes

This drug caused my Type 2 diabetes. It did this because one of the side effects is weight gain. The weight gain from this med made me gain over 50 lbs. even though I had watched what I ate. I had taken this med in 2003, and started off at 25mg. I gained a little weight, but lost it. Then when my Doctor increased it in 2004 to 300mg twice a day, I ended up gaining over 50lbs. because of this, I became insulin resistant. My endo told me that was because of the med causing me to gain weight. When I told my psych doctor, he did not believe her, and in 2006 at the age of 27, two years on the 300mg twice a day dose, I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I wish I had done my research.

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

I was prescribed 200mg of Seroquel for a number of different reasons, though the primary one was bipolar disorder. My background information is relevant in explaining the damage that this drug did to me. I am 5'8 and throughout my HS and current adult life I have weighed between 170-180. I have always been very active, very (obnoxiously) muscular, I played sports, I love going to the YMCA, rollerblading, biking, hiking. Of course at my height and weight I could afford to lose weight, but I have always had excellent blood pressure, sugar levels, energy levels, endurance, etc. Prior to taking the drug I was averaging between 15-20 miles a week jogging. Within 6 months of this drug, I gained 60 pounds, couldn't function on less than 12 hours of sleep, and was very apathetic when I was awake. My knees and ankles hurt, I had trouble breathing, my shoe size went up, and on a more superficial level, I needed to buy all new clothes and it was a very difficult to adjust to my new size mentally.

My doctor told me I needed to change my diet and exercise more, but truly, (and admittedly I'm not a medical professional) the issue went way beyond that.

Obviously we all have different reactions to medications. This was my experience. However, I would only recommend this drug in an extreme condition. It took 2 years after I stopped taking Seroquel to finally get back to my original weight, and I still have 10 pounds to go. I have worked hard to lose EVERY single pound. It wasn't worth it, but It has been a learning lesson. Since then, I have been MUCH more vigilant about reading about prescriptions before taking them, whereas before I took the doctor's word, without question.

How do you spell relief? SEROQUEL !!

from Vacaville, CA

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

Seroquel is a great drug. It is classified as an atypical antipsychotic. Its used for several different reasons.

It is very helpful in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. It helps with the depression often associated with Bipolar Disorder and also works as a mood stabilizer. On top of that, It is also useful in treating anxiety and its sometimes perscribed as a sleep aid.

I have Bipolar Disorder and I have problems with anxiety and trouble sleeping. Seroquel has helped me tremendously. Seroquel has helped me with my 3 big problems. ......I sleep better, I am less anxious, I am happier and I have remained stable for over a year. On top of that, although I was cautioned about the possibility of weight gain, I have not gained any weight since I started taking it over a year ago. I couldn't ask for a better result. THANK YOU SEROQUEL for changing my life and making everyday so much better.

*** be sure to have your blood sugar levels checked regularily while on this medication. also be sure to have your cholestrol and triglycerides checked every 6 months. be sure to have your eyes checked annually. Seroquel can raise blood sugar levels and can raise your cholestrol and triglycerides. Seroquel can also cause the development of cataracts so annual eye exams are wise.

Finally something to help

from Millington, TN

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

My doctor put me on Seroquel to help with the constant Mood Swings and Depression from the Bi-polar.  We have had to increase the dose twice, but now I finally seem to be doing better with the mood swings (at least for right now).  My husband has noticed alot of improvement and with 5 kids at home I can't afford to have constant mood swings.

Seroquel is case of almost killing the patient in order to cure

from Mandan, ND

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

I have been taking Seroquel since 1997 when i was first diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.  Consequently, I have experienced most of the side effects of this medication.  I was never told about these side effects until I spoke with my doctor after seeing a commercial relating all the negative, dangerous side effects.

Then I began researching Seroquel and found the FDA reported side effects website.  As read the very long list of reports, I kept finding things I had gone through and never knew why.  Suddenly. I had some answers.

That was 3 years ago and I'm finally being weaned off the drug and that's only because I have a new doctor.  Unfortunately, it is hard to get off the drug because it does control my symptoms somewhat and it helps in specific areas.  It's a catch 22 situation.  I want my Bipolar controlled, but i don't want the dangerous side effects.

And here's the ironic thing, as far as I know Seroquel is the most effective anti--psychotic on the market to treat Bipolar

Seroquel XR 300mg Daily feels like being on a constant XTC buzz.

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

In my life I have had a bit of everything rape, murder, war, molestation, car crashes and intimidation. Four weeks ago I started on Seroiquel to help with PTSD symptoms and I'm completely delighted with the outcome, the other day I cut the grass at the front of my house and today I painted my front door, I have virtually been a prisoner in my own home for years and this is just unbelieveable for me. I feel so happy and at ease, all of a sudden I'm not afaird anymore. I feel positive about the future and feel hopeful that if this continues that I might be able to go back to work. I have been on disabillity for seven years. It did knock me out at first and I still can sleep 12 hours after taking a night time dose, but when am awake I am so positive in my atttuidute that i make myself get up and do things, simple things like taking a walk along my high street to look in shops was for me a dream, but now I am doing this type of thing. I feel like I am awake at last and able to function at a much higher level. And I do feel hungry but I am intellegent woman and just will have to watch my diet more closely I rather feel hungry than mad with racing thoughts combined with a feeling of inpending doom. One piece of advice if you are taking this drug and find yourself a bit smaked out make yourself get up and do something. I've decided to paint my house - four weeks ago I was sitting rocking in a shrinks office. in short I love this drug

Haven't Decided

from Winchester, KY

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

I have been taking seroquel for about two months now.  After long months of numerous medications for severe anxiety and depression I've been on this for the longest.  I have gained 6lbs so far on the medicine and eat the same I always have.  I do sleep reall well, almost to well.  I sleep through my alarms by thirty minutes until my husband finally wakes me up! I havent decided if I like this medication because it helps my anxiety extremely well, but I am very grouchy, and I think that is because I'm still half asleep until 2 in the afternoon. I think I am going to try it a little longer and pray that my five year old can tolerate my "zombiness". I have insurance and it still costs me 30.00 a month, which isn't a normal co-pay but is worth it if it works.  I take 300mg at night around 8-9 pm, right now I'm starting to take it around 7pm to see if it helps with the drowsiness during the morn.

Seroquel helped me

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

I have been taking seroquel since December, 2009. My psychiatrist prescribed it to me because I have hallucinations and bad mood swings. I like it because it calms me down and helps me sleep when I can't. I don't like it because I gained a lot of weight since I started taking it, it's extremely hard to get up in the mornings for class, and it makes you feel as if you were outside of your body. At first, I really hated taking it and tried to skip doses. I would still end up taking it, though, so I could fall get some sleep. It knocks you out in thirty minutes to an hour, and it's difficult to get up in the mornings. In seven months, I have gained about twenty pounds.

In conclusion, I would suggest taking this medication. but only if your doctor suggests it, too.

Seroquel - Left me burning the midnight oil

from Madison, OH

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

My physician and I have been trying to find a medication that will help me sleep but does not interact with the medications that I am taking.  I have chronic pain and difficulty in falling and staying asleep.

He recently prescribed Seroquel, one 50mg tablet at bedtime.  Quetiapine is the active drug in this medication and is used for the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar I and II depression and is used "off label" to treat insomnia, depression, OCD, Tourette's, restless leg syndrome and others.

Some of the side effects to this medication including weight gain, dizziness, sluggishness and tardive dyskenesia - the latter is seen with much higher dosages and prolonged use.  The development of diabetes has still not been proven inconclusively.

My physician said in addition to helping me sleep, it may help with my residual depression caused by a brain chemistry imbalance and not totally relieved by the Venlafaxine that I am currently taking.

At the 50mg dosage I am taking I felt slightly relaxed but did not experience any relief from my insomnia.  As different medications can work totally different from one person to another, this is something that you need to discuss with your doctor and find out what works for you.  This medication is quite expensive.  Under no circumstances should you take this medication without consulting a physician.

Note:  I have marked this medication "thumbs up" because effects of medications vary so widely from individual to individual...Seroquel may work for you.

Seroquel may be great for some people, but not for me.

from Lexington, SC

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

I was on this drug briefly when I was 17.  At the time I was suffering from anxiety, depression, and insomnia; the first two were being controlled with Lorazepam (Ativan) and Lexapro.  He prescribed it to help me sleep when Ambien failed, and told me to take half a pill (I don't know how many mgs) in the morning and one at night.

The first day I took it I started having problems.  My perception was very "thick"; I had a poor, delayed reaction to stimuli and felt sluggish and slow.  I had very noticeable muscle spasms in my legs, neck, and hands that were embarrassing in public, which increased my anxiety.  It changed my sense of taste and decreased my appetite (something I definitely didn't need).  It also made me excessively thirsty.  Sure, it helped me sleep, but it worked *too* well, in addition to the other side effects I experienced, including a "hungover" feeling the following day.

I stopped after 3 weeks; it increased my depression (and, indirectly, my anxiety) and the side effects didn't subside.

Worked at first, then had a lot of bad side effects

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Seroquel Medication:

When I first started taking this medication, I thought it was wonderful. It helped me sleep at night and stay asleep. Even though it caused me to be drowsy during the day, it did seem to help my bipolar disorder. After a few months, I started noticing that I was having trouble with speech which has never happened to me before. I would stutter or be unable to finish a sentence due to not being able to remember the word I wanted to use. Then, I started having trouble swallowing and was always afraid of choking when eating or even drinking. Shortly after that, I noticed that I would become tired after taking it but start having paranoia so sleeping wasn't coming as easily. At first, I thought it was wonderful. But, after about 6 months, it became a nightmare. Another thing I noticed was that I started having restless leg syndrome and uncontroled muscle spasms. I no longer take this medication now and I have actually noticed an improvement and haven't had any of these syptoms since.