Other Shampoos:

Cons

Not effective

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

While I was pregnant, I had very bad dandruff due to changes in my hormones so I bought Selsun's Dandruff shampoo hoping to fix the issue, if not at least relieve my issue as I had sores in my head from it being so dry and flaky from dandruff. I was very disappointed though as it didn't work to say the least and it caused my head to be even dryer than it already had been. Like others have stated the smell is awful too. It kind of smells like a medicated shampoo or something. I could also do without the blue color as it tends to stain things when using the shampoo. Luckily, the color comes out of clothing and such once washed and cleaned up. Overall, I know better than to waste my money on Selsun Dandruff shampoo again as it actually made things worse, so much so that I ended up using a cheap shampoo that I bought from the store that ended up working and doing what Selsun was supposed to do in the first place.

So Far It Is The Best One I Have Found, But Not Perfect.

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

Out of top name or store brand dandruff shampoos out there, this is the best one I have found so far, at least for this 54 year old. I have tried some others that cost alot that didn't do much at all, then there was those that did the same but cost twice as much yet why use something that cost twice as much to do the same thing this one does? If I find something better I will let viewpoints know. For now this one is on my top list.

My scalp has become quite itchy and dry over the years, but I have had to use Scalpisin less since using Selson Blue.

I really don't like the smell of any of them to tell you the truth. I have smelled a lot that is out there on the market. I have to be picky when it comes to smell because of my wife's asthma problems and some smells sets it off. Selson Blue seems to not bother her asthma. It doesn't smell any worse then any of the others or at least I don't think so.

Effective Dandruff Shampoo

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

This brand does a great job fighting dandruff. Of all the brands I have tried it works the greatest. I love the texture of the shampoo, it has a very thick texture and just feels strong in your hand before you apply to hair. It lathers easily and feels like it really cleans great. Most dandruff shampoos have an awful smell, but I actually like the smell of this one. It is fresh and keeps my hair smelling fresh (not some awful medicated smell) all day. I usually only need to use it a few times a week to keep free from dandruff. It doesn't seem to dry my hair out and leaves my hair felling fresh and clean.

It is the best dandruff shampoo I have tried. Seems to keep my scalp moisturized and feeling great. Less itchiness and flakes have disappeared.

I really enjoy the smell of Selsun Blue. It smells fresh and doesn't smell so much like a medicated shampoo. It leaves my hair smelling fresh all day.

Good option

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

This is a good anti-dandruff shampoo because it works to stop flaky scalp skin and itchy scalp after a few applications. I thought the shampoo was a little thin and had to use more than usual to cover my whole head. It lathered nicely though and you can feel it working once you put it on. The shampoo rinsed quickly. It did a good job of cleaning daily oils and styling products as well. I prefer another shampoo because I don't like this shampoo's scent and because I find that this is runny and thus I go through a bottle more quickly than I would my favorite brand which saves money.

Did a nice job of relieving my dry scalp and reduced flakes. I also used on my baby who had stubborn cradle cap. It is reliable for relief, even in a harsh winter.

I did not like the scent because it was not fresh or appealing. I think this is why I prefer to use another brand's anti-dandruff shampoo. It smelled a little like medicine which I did not like at all.

I cannot say enough good things about this stuff.

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

I really love this shampoo for two reasons. First of all, it works wonders in helping with an itchy scalp. I had a really bad reaction to a cheap shampoo recently and it made my head incredibly itchy. I did not have dandruff but my head felt awful. I bought this product because I heard dandruff shampoos also help cure an itchy head. It cured mine within days of using it. It worked wonders in relieving my itch and helping it to stay away. Another great thing about this shampoo is that you can use it as a body wash to prevent fungal infections on your skin. I got a fungal infection on my skin and used this as a body wash. It cleared it up within two weeks. I love this stuff. It has worked wonders for my head and my skin! I highly recommend it!

This cleared up my itching head within a week of using. It cleared up my fungal infection within two weeks. It is wonderful stuff! It definitely does what it advertises!

It honestly does not smell great. However, it is so effective that it is worth using!

Depends upon what you want out of your shampoo

from Wisconsin

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

If you are looking for a shampoo that treats and gets rid of dandruff, you've probably found your shampoo. If you want dandruff treatment plus something that's going to make your hair turn out fantastic, don't buy Selsun blue dandruff shampoo. It really is effective against dandruff because if it could work wonders on my teen daughter's scalp, then that is saying something. In the winter, her scalp gets horribly flaky. However, after too much usage, hair gets really dry and fly away like. It sticks up everywhere. It also gets straw like if you use it too long. For someone with really short hair, it won't matter, but if you have long hair, you would probably just want to put it on your scalp and rinse out, trying very hard not to get the shampoo on the rest of the hair. I found putting my daughter's hair in a pony tail, then helping her to wash her hair at the sink so we could just apply the shampoo on the scalp and rinse worked wonders.

It really is effective on combating dandruff, but not so effective at making the hair look beautiful.

Harsh shampoo with a bad smell, but effective

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

I originally purchased Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo as directed by my Pediatrician to use on my young son's cradle cap. After several weeks of use, it did not have any effectiveness on his scaly scalp. I discontinued use as this has some pretty harsh chemicals to be using on a baby.

I ended up finishing up the bottle in the month on my own hair because I figured maybe it would help clear up some dandruff I had been experiencing. The soap has an odd blue color to it and a somewhat chemically smell. It lathers really well and rinses out well. I feel like I saw a 60-70% decrease in dandruff at the end of the month. Its chemically smell and unnatural color are definite turn-offs for me as a future consumer.

After using this product for a month, I found it to be fairly good at getting rid of dandruff. However, I would not re-buy it based on the scent alone.

Selsun Blue Dandruff shampoo smells like chemicals. Even after you wash, rinse, and dry your hair, you will walk around smelling like this nasty stuff. The scent is strong and putrid enough to make me not want to use this product no matter how good it is at getting rid of dandruff!

Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment is like the Cadillac of dandruff shampoos. If you have severe dandruff and itching this is the go to product before shelling out the big bucks to see a dermatologist about your scalp. Save your money and your scalp and first try Selsun Blue. It is so much better than other mass produced dandruff shampoos on the market. If those did not work, you owe it to your scalp to try Selsun Blue. I'm just a regular guy who has had dandruff most of life due to dry skin. I have nothing to do with SB other than being a user of their great products. So try it, it's worth the money.

Only dandruff shampoo that I have used that eliminates my dandruff 100%.

There is no scent left behind unless you use a conditioner.

Did nothing for me ...

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

I have a seasonal problem with dry scalp and while trying to stock up on my usual shampoo that was not available and out if stock for a few weeks, desperate I tried Selsun Blue. I have long hair and this shampoo left my hair as dry as toast and did not make a difference whatsoever in my dry scalp issue. I kept using it thinking it would take some time to acclimate but just kept getting worse! Not only was my scalp dry but my hair was too, lacking its softness, shine and luster. It took several protein packs to get my hair back to its natural luster and shine.

It did absolutely nothing for my scalp and did a lot of damage to my long hair. I gave it a good try, using most of the bottle thinking it would help the dryness in my scalp but it did more damage than good. It was like using detergent on my head.

The fragrance was pleasant. I can not say that it did not have a nice scent. I rate it an A for that much.

magically vanishes dandruff

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo Balanced Treatment:

Since last few years I had minor dandruf problems and have been using head and shoulders (the most common one). But there has been no significant much improvement even after a long term use. Even though my dandruff problem was not that much bothersome, I just wanted to get rid of it completely and so i went to see a dermatologist.  She recommended this selsun blue shampoo and the very first i tired this one, I was impressed.  No more dandruff issues for me and my scalp is kind of moistened too!! this shampoo is really awesome!! the only con is it's pungent odour mainly due to its ingredient sulfide.  If you forget about the bad smell, this shampoo works great. Fortunately, the sulfide or selenium smells does not long throughout the day (thank god!!!). I was totally happy and satisfied that i switched from head and shoulders to selsun.

I will gladly recommend to other people who have issues with dandruff.