3.2

3.2

Pros

Cons

Go, Little Bubbles, Go!

Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner (ASC) promises to magically clean your shower with the push of a button. Can a little jet stream remove mold, mildew, and soap scum?  Read complete review

Let me start by saying I hate...loathe...despise...having to clean the shower. I do it, but I grumble and whine the entire time, so anything that could actually do this dreaded chore for me had to be checked out. Since the ASC says it will not only keep an already clean shower spotless but also clean one that's...shall we say less than spotless, I purchased two kits and planned my own experiment.

After running home with my miracles in a box, I unpacked them and found: one power sprayer, two 34 oz refill bottles, four AA batteries (extra points for including those!) and one hanger. Assembly was easy - pop in the batteries, attach the hanger and snap in a refill bottle.  While the ASC is not recommended for showers with brass fixtures, natural marble or finished wood, I have none of those to contend with. Dimpled glass doors and ceramic tile are my main concerns.

Operation is simple. After the last shower of the day, you push the button and close the shower door (or curtain). A fifteen-second beep warns you that the unit is about to activate. If you accidentally bump the button or need to turn the unit off, you just push the button again within that 15 second period. Once activated, the ASC spins all the way around for 12 seconds, spraying the cleanser. The directions state that the spray will reach over 8 feet.  Maintenance is a matter of changing batteries and replacing the bottle of cleanser when needed. Each bottle is supposed to last up to 21 cleanings and batteries up to four months.

When using the automatic shower cleaner, you can clean the shower before using the product or let the product clean the shower, taking as long as 10 days to do so. I opted for the 10-day method in the shower/tub combo. Within 4 days, the cleaner had done its job and done it well! Seeing as the primary user of this bathroom is my pre-teen son, this alone got a thumbs up from me! (Moms of pre-teens & teens can relate, I'm sure!) The other bathroom has a shower stall with dimpled glass doors that is approximately 7 feet square. This shower started off clean and I was looking for something to keep it that way.  After the same 4 day period it still looked great, all except for one strip of soap scum under the soap dish. I think the way the dish extends from the wall blocks the cleanser from hitting that area. I ended up having to wipe down that area myself. It did get into all those dreaded dimples on the doors and that more than made up for having to clean under the soap dish.

The shower isn't slick after cleaning. It smells clean, but there is a hint of bleach that gets stronger when hot water hits it. I didn't find it strong enough to obnoxious and it didn't set off my husbands sensitive sinuses. The package states that the cleaning spray is safe for bath sponges. However, after forgetting to remove my bath sponge I found it felt rough and smelled of bleach...ick. The cleaner doesn't affect plastic bottles (shampoo, etc.) but can cause some fabrics to fade. Be careful with your exterior (decorative) shower curtains.  I found that each bottle of cleanser lasted a bit longer than the predicted 21 cleanings - closer to 30.

**Bottom Line:**Its been a month since I installed the ASC and except for the small strip under the soap dish, I haven't had to fully clean my shower or bathtub since! While there are a few little things I would like to see improved, I'm happy with Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. I love stepping into a clean shower every day....especially when I didn't have to sweat to get it that way!

Scrubbing Bubbles Auto Shower Cleaner made MORE work for me.

I hate to just totally trash a product, even if it doesn't live up to expectations.  So, to make myself feel better, here are the positive aspects of Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner.  The dispenser was easy to install, easy to operate, and the actual cleaner (and I use that term loosely) had a pleasant scent.  We never have had an issue with mildew in our shower, I just wanted to be able to go a little longer without cleaning it.  Boy did I get the bad end on that.  We used it daily for 3 weeks, and we had ridiculous amounts of mildew.  It was almost as if it *promoted* mildew growth.  We used it in a stall type shower (no tub) so it was able to reach all the corners of our shower.  The dispenser is a bit loud, and takes up a lot of space.  I ended up having to purchase a cleaner (Tilex Mildew Root) which did work like it said it would.  Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner totally did not work as expected, so I took advantage of the money back guarantee and got a refund. Personally, I would not recommend this product. But because of the guarantee, you don't really have anything to lose by trying it...it may have just been something with our shower or something, but we won't be using it again.

To Expensive To Continue Using

from Virginia

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

I bought a couple of these Automatic Shower Cleaners by Scrubbing Bubbles to go in both my showers. I knew it wouldn't take the place of completely cleaning my shower stall but I thought it may help reduce the work I would have between cleanings. So this product uses batteries and has a button to push to start the cleaning process. It sprays about 8 feet out and lasts about 10 seconds, praying out cleaning solution that mixes with the water left over from the previous shower. I noticed at first how strong the spray was and thought, hey this is a awesome product! It was cleaning the shower and tub, and I felt confident that when it came to cleaning day my job would be cut in half. I soon noticed the batteries would run down fast, and I found myself having to change them quite often which gets expensive. I mean the batteries I got out of the machine would still have juice in them when I switched them to another device, it seemed like if the batteries aren't brand new this automatic cleaner will not work. Then the refills for the dispenser are expensive in itself. Over time I think all the money I am spending, is not worth the little time I am saving to in keeping my shower clean. Yes this product does work, the cleaner is great, but the cost to maintain the dispenser is too much for me.

Works great at first, cleans all around the shower, but I have to keep replacing batteries to keep the performance up.

Waste of money

from Ohio

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

I honestly thought this "Scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner" would of been a great addition to my bathroom. It was anything but that, more like a waste of money. After just a few uses the refill cleaner needed to be replaced. My shower really did not look any different than before buying this product. Not to mention, I feel like I could just do it much better myself. It still had soap scum marks around the edges of the bathtub, little rings around where the shampoo bottles sat. It just felt like a waste to me so I don't even use it anymore. The only thing I did really enjoy about using this product was that it had a nice clean smell to it. So you would walk into the bathroom and get a nice surprise. Other than that, I do not like this automatic shower cleaner and I would just recommend saving your money.

The performance was not that great. I hardly noticed anything different about my shower. It really wasn't any cleaner than it was before using this product.

The scent is very nice, very clean smelling.

Probably better to clean your own shower.

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

This is an okay cleaner but honestly, it would probably be better to clean your own shower. The cleaner was somewhat expensive and it worked slightly but not enough for me to buy a refill or a new one once this one breaks. It works okay for small showers but I have a bathtub and shower built into one (and it' white) and you can still see soap scum/dark stains after a while of not cleaning it. This probably helps elongate the time between the actual cleanings I have to do, but it doesn't prevent the cleanings completely, which is what I was hoping it would do. Overall, I guess I recommend trying it if you're just looking to lengthen the time between when you manually clean your shower but if you're looking to stop cleaning your shower and use this as a replacement I would think again.

It does leave a nice clean smell in the shower and it's not overpowering, especially since showers are usually a small space.

Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner not worth it for me

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

I tried the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner a year or so ago in my downstairs bathroom that I do not use that often. I wanted a product to leave in there that would be able to keep it clean between the infrequent uses. I was not that impressed with this product as all. Part of the probably is probably that we have hard water which takes a lot of work to get rid of. The automatic shower cleaner did not work that well on the hard water spots. It is easy to use. You just press the button and it sprays the cleaner everywhere. Make sure you don't have stuff in your shower that you don't want cleaner to be all over! I also found that it left a residue on the walls of the shower that I wasn't thrilled about. It does have a pleasant smell to it and does not reek of cleaner. But unfortunately it did not work that well for what I needed it for. We do have a tile shower so maybe that was part of the problem as well. It may work better for a fiberglass type of shower.

BUMMER

from 170500

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

Many years ago, I purchased the original one of these. It was great. Then they got the big idea to improve on it and that was the end. They don't work. I complained to the company and they sent me a coupon for a new one. That one lasted about six months so I went and bought another and another and another. Now I've had it. This one is also shot so I am going to put the extra spray into a spray bottle of my own and use it up. It's too bad that they had to ruin a good thing by trying to make it better. The old adage "if it an't broke, don't fix it" could have done them some good.

when it works

no scent

I Never Want To Be Without It Again!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

When the original Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner came out and I saw a commercial for it on television I could not get to the store fast enough to purchase one! I had a coupon and the starter kit was on sale so it was a reasonable deal.

I popped in the four AA batteries as soon as I got home and hung it in my shower right away. Since that time, over five years ago, I have religiously used my shower cleaner each and every day after I get out of the shower and I haven't had a soap scum problem since. There is simply no mold, mildew, and very minimal soap scum in my shower or on my glass shower doors.

This is so simple to use, you just push the button when you get out of the shower, close the shower door, and that's it! It sprays and goes right to work.

The bottle is super easy to see when it needs to be replaced since it is clear. The system also emits a special beep when it is out of cleaning fluid and you try to run it anyway. To change the bottles you just take the old one out and pop and new one in. It takes about thirty seconds.

The only issue I've ever had was with changing the batteries. You first have to remove the bottle and let any cleaning liquid drain out and then flip the system over. It's best to have someone helping with this. I also never use rechargeable batteries in the system. They do not seem to last anywhere near as long.

I'm now on my second system and can't do without it. I highly, highly recommend it to everyone.

Tried it, used it, but....

from Morrisville, PA

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

The idea behind this was wonderful, but the fact is, it could not keep my shower clean. First, no one other than I could manage to remember to use it after showering. But most important was that it did not get high enough onto the walls of the shower. Frankly, it only reached about a third of the shower stall and mine is average sized. It still needed to use Tilex or another mildew product every few days.

The idea is wonderful however, it just doesn't have enough power or spray area to keep my average sized shower clean. It also requires that the last person showering actually uses it. Unfortunately, teenaged boys and husbands are not great at remembering when in a morning rush mode.

I tried the product but gave it up after 3 months. It was expensive as I still needed to scrub weekly.

The scent was mild and nothing that should be offensive to most people. I really didn't find it anything special.

Don't waste your money!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

I've been through three of these Scrubbing Bubble Automatic Shower Cleaner things because they only last a few months and then they stop working. The only reason I've had more than one is because each time it stopped working I've contacted the company complaining about how short the lifespan is and they sent me a coupon for a free replacement. After the third replacement (which is the current model) stopped working after about six months, I gave up.

It sounds like a good idea to spray down your shower every time you use it. When it was working, any traces of mold and mildew disappeared. It did a good job of keeping the shower clean between regular cleanings; thus the #2 rating. But that's when it worked.

After a few months (the longest it ever lasted was eight months) it just stops working. I've tried replacing the batteries, cleaning out the jets, forcing vinegar through the system, and nothing makes it work again once it has stopped.

I cannot, in good conscience, rate the quality of the cleaning solution when it is only available when dispensed by this useless joke of a machine. The last bottle was only half-used so I cut the top off and poured it into a spray bottle and sprayed the shower with that.

Only lasts a few months.

Not for me

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

As I've mentioned in previous reviews, I bought a lot of different cleaning products when I first moved into my house for the bathroom. I usually scrub it by hand once a week, but I also have a really bad back like almost impossible now to bend over a bathtub so I can't do it daily. I tried a few spray products for the shower and tiles to stay clean in between the weekly hands and knees scrub. They didn't do the job. I was very excited when I seen the scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner I was excited. It looked like an easy to use effortless way to clean your shower and claimed to keep the whole shower and bath area sparkling. So we hooked it up and tried it and I didn't see a noticeable difference on the tiles or the shower door. It also left this foul smell behind and I made sure before I used it not to over clean the tub, but make sure it was somewhat clean. I had no mold or mildew that would have caused the smell. They had a different scent so we tried that and it was the same thing. So I stopped using it for like ten days and the smell was gone. I ended up just taking it down and it's now sitting in a box in my basement. It wasn't cleaning much and mostly leaving my bathroom smelling like mildew. Save your money and buy good cleaners. Sometimes manually doing it is a better option.

Easy Cleaning!

Comments about Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:

The Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower cleaner keeps my shower clean without a lot of effort. The units do not seem to last very long at all. I have already owned 2 units in a little over one year. The main issue with the product itself seems to be that the cleaning fluid gets inside and interferes with the internal electronics. It seems impossible for the internal fixtures of the product to remain waterproof. I believe this is just one of those things that I have to get used to due to the sprayer mechanism. If this were fixed it would save a lot of hassle. I do not like the fact that rechargeable batteries are not an option (this would save a lot of money as well), One plus is that I can get by with using the product every other day to save cleaner. Even with buying a new set every so often (due to faulty manufacturing) the Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Cleaner is still a good value for the money and convenience.