Other General Household Cleaners:

Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges

Pros

Cons

Natural Fiber Non-Scratch Sponges are a "Greener" choice

Scotch Brite now has a "**Greener Clean"** array of products to contribute to the ecological trend to save the earth through more natural products, sustainable choices, and their environmental impact. Scotch Brite "Greener Clean" Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges are made from recyclable and natural  materials. They cost about the same as the "less green" relatives. These little sponges are the same size as regular Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges with an important difference: These sponges can outlast 30 rolls of paper towels. They are made from 23% recycled paper, and  are made from 100% Natural Fibers.

**Why are these sponges "Greener"?**  Well, they have two sides, one is the scrubbing part and the other is the sponge. The "**non-scratch" scrubbing side** is made from 50% Natural Agave fibers. Agave fibers are also used for the more familiar face/bath cloths.  Agave is also familiar to us as a source of Tequila,Tea, and Agave Nectar, a natural sweetener that is quite popular now as an alternative sweetener.

The Agave Plant matures quickly and yields some diverse products, as previously mentioned. Its flowers, leaves, stalks, and sap are edible. It's native to the Tropical Americas, but, also grows in the Southwestern U.S.  Because of its quick maturation, it is a "greener" choice, because it is sustainable.

The "**Sponge" Side** is made of 100% Natural material and  23% of it is recycled paper. It can also be used multiple times to reduce the production and waste of one-time-use materials, like paper towels. So, you can use this sponge to clean up a lot of kitchen messes that would normally take quite a few paper towels.

**TEXTURE**:  They look like the same shape and size of the traditional sponge that you're used to using on dishes. But, though they feel the same way, they don't look the same way. The "Scrubbing Side", of this "Greener Clean" sponge is composed of a textured, fibrous, "scrubby to the touch", rougher side composed of agave fibers. The other side "the Sponge" has a raw, unbleached,  tan paper look to it which still feels like a sponge. They are fused together like the traditional non-scratch scrub sponges,  with just  a difference in color and texture.

**USING IT:** You just squirt some dish liquid on it, add some water, and start your dish washing. It seems less sudsy than a traditional sponge. It probably holds more water, and more product. So, you don't have to use as much liquid soap as often. But, eventually both types of sponges kind of "equal out" with amount of soap  needed after using them a little for a few days.

I've used them to clean crusted on food in my Calphalon pots, dried eggs in regular stainless steel cookware, greasy, old food, dried-on pancake batter, burned meat, etc. They don't scratch delicate, or non-stick surfaces either. They work as well as the traditional Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge.

**HOW LONG IT LASTS:** I use them like a regular sponge and throw them into boiling water to disinfect them after each use. You can't use a microwave to disinfect these sponges. That really does the job on any lingering odor, and they don't smell at all. I'v actually used hot water and soap to also clean them. I think that they smell fresher longer than the traditional Scrub Non-Stick Sponge. Maybe it's the materials used to construct this sponge.

This Scotch Brite Natural Fiber Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge is packaged in a traditonal plastic covering to keep it moist and fresh. So, there is nothing different is its packaging. Both types of Scrub Non-Stick Sponge use the same plastic covering.

**MY OPINION:** Since it uses Agave fibers, recycled materials, and there are no dyes, and no bleaches, this presents a more environmentally conscious direction for Scotch Brite to undertake with these products. I think that I'll continue to use this "Greener Clean" Natural Fiber Non-Scratch Sponge to support their ambitious endeavor.

Brite idea but it's just not for me

When possible, I try to buy environmentally-friendly products. As long as the cost doesn't break the bank and it works just as well (or even better), I'm all for trying out new products while helping to save our environment. It usually ends up being a win-win situation.

I never gave much thought about the sponges that I use around my house, but when I found a coupon for the Scotch Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge, I thought that I'd give it a try. I really thought that it would be similar to the other sponges that I use and that it would become another standard product used in my household.

In a nutshell, the Scotch Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge is made from 100% natural fibers, is made with 23% recycled paper, and the scrubbing fibers are made from 50% natural agave plant. The company claims that this sponge will outlast 30 rolls of paper towels. That is amazing and really puts into perspective how much waste one household can emit by using paper towels alone.

The Scotch Brite Greener Clean website has some really useful information about how its natural products are made and to what extent each is recyclable, compostable, etc. It can be a motivating tool to use when deciding what products to purchase for your household.

I won't be purchasing this sponge again but that doesn't mean that I won't recommend it. It's a great environmentally-friendly product, however it just doesn't work for me.

I really had high hopes for this but it ended up being a disappointment. The sponge didn't get as soapy as I'd like, was too thick to clean the crevices in my dishes, and I can't put it into the microwave to clean. It can only be cleaned by putting it in boiling water or running through my dishwasher cycle.

I didn't notice much of a scent.

Awesome in the kitchen!

from Greer, SC

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I first tried these sponges when I received a free sample in the mail. I like them so much that I went out and bought more. They are awesome! Our family is moving towards more natural products for our home and this natural sponge fit the bill. They are reasonably priced and work great. I have been able to get off gunked and caked on grime off with these sponges. They hold up nicely without shredding and breaking apart like some other non-natural sponge brands we have tried. They also work great for wiping down the kitchen counters and kitchen tables as well as the inside of the microwave and the top of our smooth top stove (I don't use the "scratchy" side on the stove top though). We have been using these sponges with natural dish detergent like Mrs. Myers, Seventh Generation, and Method. It works great with anything. Dries out quickly and holds up great. If your family is moving towards more natural products I would highly recommend you try these all-purpose sponges.

There really is no scent... that's a plus, right! :)

I really like these

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I first bought Scotch-Brite Greener Clean sponges when they first came out because they were on sale, I had a coupon and I needed a new sponge. The fact that they were greener was definitely an added bonus. I can honestly say that I haven't bought any other type of sponge since. I have read people say that they do not hold up as well as other sponges but I have actually had the opposite experience. I find that the scrubbing side retains it's "scrubbiness" longer than other sponges that I have used. I do have a dishwasher and don't often find that I really have to scrub my dishes super hard so that may be why I have had a different experience but I really feel like these hold up well. I put mine in the microwave every night, I have read that you aren't supposed to but I have never had any issues doing it and it keeps the sponge smelling fresh and doesn't seem to affect it at all. I really love that these "greener" sponges have worked out so well for us!

A nice option for green cleaners!

from Richmond VA

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

These sponges are a nice option if you are trying to be more environmentally friendly in your household cleaning! These sponges still do a nice job of cleaning up messes, but they do not seem to survive quite as long as the regular sponges do. If you are more concerned with price and performance than with environmental issues, you will probably be happier with conventional sponges. But if cleaning green is a big priority for you, these sponges are a step in the right direction.

As far as sponges go, these do a pretty good job of cleaning up messes. They aren't necessarily better at it than any other sponge, but they are just as good as you would expect.

The biggest downside to these sponges is that they seemed to absorb odors a lot more than some others that I have used. It may be because of the materials used to create them, so make sure you are rinsing and squeezing them well!

A good sponge

from West Babylon, NY

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I had read some reviews else where saying these sponges fell apart too easily, but I bought them anyway with a coupon on sale, so they were super cheap, plus I felt i was doing a little something for the environment. I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. They lasted a lot longer than I expected, maybe 2 months- before I started noticing that they were beginning to fall apart. Even then it was not as if they disintegrated in your hand. I do not have a dishwasher, so I did not try and sanitize them in the dishwasher, which I would assume would lead to them falling apart sooner. Other than that, I would say they lasted long enough for me to be happy with them, and willing to go to a new spnge anyway.

Glad they're greener, but wish they lasted longer.

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I try to use as many eco-friendly products as possible. Almost all of my cleaning products are "green", but I was using the blue Scotch-Brite Scrub Sponges because they worked so well. When I found **Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges** in the store, I had to try them out.

I love that the sponge part is made from 100% plant-based fibers, the scrubber part is made from agave plants and that these are made with 23% recycled materials, but they don't last nearly as long as a regular, non-eco-friendly sponge.

The scrubby side works well. Not as well as a regular sponge, but it does the job. The sponge side works just as well as a regular sponge. Where this product falls short is in the lifespan of the scrubby side. The natural fibers that comprise the scrubber start to detach and fall off, making the scrubber less and less effective.

This product has no scent.

Great sponge that cleans really good and lasts a long time

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

This sponge lasts so long and doesn't lose it's ability to clean. I use it to scrub up the really big messes in my sinks. It always scrubs stuck on food away without much effort and you can use it over and over and over

Works great for a really long time, doesn't fall apart like most sponges

This is no scent

Brite idea but it's just not for me

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I didn't notice much of a scent.

Scotch Brite Greener Clean Sponges do an average job.

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I was lucky enough to grab a 'free' Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Scrub Sponge. On the packaging it states:

"Scrubbing fibers made from 50% natural agave plant.
Sponge outlasts 30 rolls of paper towels.
Sponge made with 23% recycled paper.
Sponges made from 100% natural fibers."

I like the fact that this is a green product, or at least 50% green.

However, when it comes to using the product, I have to say that it didn't come up to the cleaning efficiency of my regular Scotch-Brite scrub sponge.

The first few times I used it, it did fairly well. I did have to soak my pots and pans a little longer for it to work.

I regularly cleaned it and sanitized it, so that it stayed in it's best condition. As the days continued, I found it didn't do as good a job. I had to use more soft scrub with it, for it to work.

I usually keep my scrub sponge for a month, or a little more, but after three weeks I wasn't happy with the way this cleaned.

Sorry but I prefer my Scotch-Brite scrub sponge, and won't be green, as I am going back to it.

Didn't work as well as the regular Scotch Brite Sponge.

Doesn't have one.

Scotch Brite Greener Clean Sponges are "greener" not "greenest."

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

3M's Scotch Brite was accurate when they called their new sponges "Scotch Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges" because they are "greener" than their old neon and yellow versions of sponges but are not "greenest" in the world of dish sponges.

The company claims that the Scotch Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges are made from natural and recycled materials, so that's a step in the right direction. I don't believe they are "greenest" because I received a pack of Scotch Brite Greener Clean Sponges that were soaked and when I called to find out why they were pre-moistened, I was told that it was probably a manufacturing error and the anti-bacterial liquid the sponges were dipped into was not squeezed out properly. If that's true, that's not very "green" and I could do without the smell and feel of that mysterious liquid.

On the bright side, I was re-imbursed for the product and it was a rare occurence. Since that time, I now use TWIST brand sponges. Much, much "greener" and possibly the "greenest" dish sponges available here in the states.

Greener Clean sponges are environmentally friendly and cleaner!

from Athens, GA

Comments about Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges:

I try to help save the environment when I can but I am not wiling to sacrifice cleanliness to do so. These Scotch-Brite Greener Clean sponges do not make me sacrifice my cleanliness but help me achieve it. My favorite thing about these sponges is their ability to go in the dishwasher. I never really used sponges because I saw them as a soppy, wet germ and mold magnet sitting on the sink. I would use paper towels to clean everything but felt bad about how much paper I was wasting. Then I saw a commercial advertising these sponges and it said they could go in the dishwasher and I was sold.

After using these sponges, I do not regret buying the multiple packages I did when they were on sale. They are great sponges that have a soft side and a scrubby side. The scrubby side is less abrasive so it can be used on nonstick pans. I know the scrubby side isn't as effective as other sponges but I am willing to put some elbow grease into cleaning my pans if it doesn't harm them.

These may not be good sponges to do tough jobs like cleaning a microwave or gunk off the stove. I never let my appliances get built-up gunk on them so I have not had to use them for that.