Other MP3 Players:
SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player

SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player

Pros

Cons

The Sansa Fuze is durable and fairly priced alternative.

Right out of the box, the Sansa Fuze was nice to look at, at least. For the price I was not expecting too much, but overall it was a very fairly priced product. The screen is plastic and scratches easily, so I would suggest a case if you want to keep it nice.The 8 GB storage is enough for most people, and even if it isn't, there is a micro-SD slot to expand the memory up to a full 16 GB. This allows enough space for movies and pictures in addition to music.

The microphone works fairly well; much better than a microphone on your average cell phone, anyway. The files are immediately tagged to date, resetting year by year, which can make it somewhat difficult to find what you're looking for in the recording section. Other than that, the interface is smooth; the wheel on the front held up very well for me (I've been using mine actively for over two years and it is still working just fine) and is a good alternative to those who have trouble with Ipod touch dials.

If you are used to an Ipod, the unusual button layout and response might seem just a little bit foreign, but you can quickly adjust. Watching videos on the screen is well and fine for young people, but older users with bad eyes might not enjoy staring for too long at the tiny screen, and may just wish to use this item for playing music.

The color scheme, date, time, storage type and other features can be changed in the options section, which is easily accessed. The only real issue I have found with this item (other than the plastic screen) is that it does sometimes freeze up, which is to be expected. These occurrences were very rare for me, (maybe three times a year, at best) but were a little unnerving. The item would first start playing a song other than what I selected, then would refuse to change songs and finally shut itself off. After returning power, it would be just fine and one could continue listening to music.

The setup is easy; most computers will automatically install the Sansa drivers when the player is first plugged in. Then you can use Windows Media Player or the Sansa program included with the purchase to synchronize music, pictures and video; or, if you'd like you can also just drag the files into the device manually, but this tends to glitch a lot and sometimes will also cause the device to freeze when attempting to play these files later on.

The price is quite affordable when compared to some of the newer Ipod models, and it does do most of the things an Ipod will do (although no camera, no games, etc.) and if one finds themselves prejudiced against Apple, this might be a good choice.

Battery life is excellent, lasting just as long as advertised for quite a long period of repeated recharging and use. I have noticed that, once the device points out that it has low battery, it will then start to degrade much faster. One-sixth of the battery life may only last an hour even if the overall life is much, much, much longer.

As with any mp3 player, organizing music albums containing multiple artists can be a nightmare, as each file wants its own folder. This can be avoided by selecting the menu to organize music by either album, genre or a feature I especially enjoy, Recently Added. This way you can access everything in one long playlist that you can skip around on at will.

The amount of time the screen takes to turn off after you press a button is adjustable, as is the screen brightness, volume, etc. These can be made to suit as you please, to save battery life or to find that song you're looking for.

The size makes this item very portable, and the back of it is slightly rubberized; so it will not slip around or slid off the counter onto the floor when you set it down. The rubber on mine is all gouged up and dirty now, so it doesn't look very good, but aesthetically when you first get it, it all looks quite clean and nice. The blue circle around the thumb dial is quite pretty; lighting up every time you move a button (in the dark, anyway.) The weight is just perfect, not too heavy, but not so light as would make someone think it was a cheap item.

The earbuds that come with the device are your standard black buds, not of exceptional quality, but operable and definitely workable. I prefer inner ear buds myself, and found that the sound quality was much better with a different pair. This is up to your personal taste, of course. I have been having trouble with earbud cords becoming so chafed at the jack port that they stop working; but the mp3 player itself is quite durable and has survived water, being dropped many times, left in a hot car and in the sun, and many sets of cheap earbuds!

Overall I would give this product 4 stars. It is surprisingly good and operable for the money and would suit the average consumer nicely. If you are looking for excellence, buy a new Ipod. If you want to listen to music and have the opportunity to keep videos with you for convenience, this might be your slightly less expensive, and slightly less-quality device.

Sandisk Fuze: Meh.

This MP3 Player is average....Really, not the best....Really, if you want to spend your money on this, go ahead, but if I were to buy an mp3 player, i would not buy this one. The screen freezes a lot, the video converter is slow, there is a pause in between switching songs....Obviously not sandisk's best product. I do like its upgradablitly. The card slot is a must. 8gb + 8gb = Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. I can put full length movies on it, and still have 1000 songs! The video quality is great, by the way. Another thing I do not like is that it is hardly ever updated. The Last firmware upgrade was in summer 2010. Also, the play-wheel gets sticky sometimes, not very good, since it's the main controls.....Another thing is that whenever I plug in my fuze, the screen glitches....Sometimes, the screen has little weird green specs and blobs...Weird......Otherwise, this player is good. Not the Best, not the Worst...

Sansa Fuze-cheap, easy to use, and solid

from Parkersburg, WV

This is my review for the sansa fuze 8GB:

I have had a sansa fuze 4gb for 2 years and my sister needed a new mp3 player, so I bought this one and gave her my old 4GB.

I have had very minimal problems with the fuze. It syncs with wmp11 very nicely. Playlists work great. WMP11 and 12 are excellent programs, despite what others say. I love having the same playlist structure on windows as my fuze. This thing handles large playlists quite nicely. I have several playlists that exceed 200 songs. it takes about 5-8 secs to load

them.

The go list is a nice feature, you can make a playlist (up to 200 songs on the latest firmware update-50 on older ones prior to v 1.02.xx) right on the player. great for trips.

Audio playback is clear and this has a great Digital Signal Processor>makes the songs on it sound wider and clearer in addition to several EQ presets+one custom.Even 128Kbps files sound good.battery life is decent and best at 128Kbps-192Kbps mp3 files, and 15% display brightness. I can get 18-22 hours with

custom EQ engaged.  I get 4.5 hours of video playback.

Video support is nice. Used an app called SUPER to re-encode, then used SMC to put on the player, works great. Video and audio sync work great.

This has a picture viewer as well. You can even use SMC to resize photos and transfer them to your fuze. I have made great use of this by putting directions to certain locations on it by screencapping map sites routes, putting them into a few pages, then inverting the colors for better viewing, then loading them onto the fuze. I can also do this with text files so I can read some things while listening to music. The only thing I can see to make this sooooo much better is to make it so you can zoom in. using the wheel on it would be good. They need to do this so bad so you can see the images

better.

SD support is a HUGE plus.

Now the only flaws I see (that could easily be fixed in a firmware update) are the following:

The UI isn't very customizable, you only get to choose from a handful of BG colors, more colors would be nice. You only have pink,blue,bluegreen,another shade of blue, orange, and green.also would like to have detailed stats on playlists like total play time, total file size of playlist, etc...

Also, in the info screen >settings>system settings>info would show the total play time of all music.

inability to zoom in on photos. this could extend the use of the player drastically for having maps and directions or stories and articles stored on it.

I love my SanDisk-Sansa Fuze (2GB) Digital Media Player!

from Benson, AZ

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

I actually happen to own one of these media players. Though I went with the eight GB, for the joy of having many many more songs. Also when you add the memory card for it, you can have more songs then you could imagine. You will never have a dull moment while listening to your media player. I have had my media player for almost a year now, and it has been nothing but useful to me, and I know to others as well. It comes in handy while you are not around an actual stereo, or on long car rides with no radio. I am sure you would much rather have some of your favorite music playing, instead of everyone in the car trying to sing some silly show tones. Or if you happen to be at a park and would enjoy having some nice music to listen to while relaxing. Just pop in those good old headphones and turn it up! If theres others with you, they make plenty of differnt types of speakers for media players, that you can plug into it. So everyone could enjoy some music while you all have a good time at your favorite home town park. Not only can this media player play your favorite music, it can hold your favorite pictures, your favorite books, radio stations, and plenty more! I love this product, I hope you will as well!

Great Product

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

This product is at a very resonable price. It is long lasting I have one myself and I have dropped it from heights and I have dropped it in water and it still works great. This is amazing it also allows you to put in a micro sd card if you ned more space.

Simple, Small, and Satisfying!

from Anacortes, WA

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

I received the Sansa Fuze 8GB for my birthday and ever since then, have loved every moment with it! I use it when I'm trying to fall asleep at night, when I'm gardening, on road trips, just about anywhere and everywhere that I'm bored or alone. The Sansa Fuze comes in mulitple colors and the size is small so you can carry it just about anywehere. You can listen to music, the radio, watch videos, look through pictures, and make your own recordings. I personally love this mP3 player because I loe music and it is so organized. Also, you can use Rhapsody for the Sansa Fuze, which is a great resource for music. I told my friends and family about it and a few of my friends now have a Sansa Fuze and my mother too!

The Sansa Fuze is great for long road trips! You can listen to music and it's so small you can just place it in your pocket and listen as you walk too. There also is a little wheel for scrolling options, kind of like the iPod Nano wheel.

I recommend the Sansa Fuze to anyone who loves music!

Sandisk Fuze: Meh.

from Granite Falls, MN

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

Sansa Fuze could easily outshine iPod...

from Azusa, CA

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

A lot of people only recommend iPod as the only music player that ever should be purchased. That’s bull. I do own an iPod, but this Sansa Fuze player is just as good in terms of multi-media experience.

Let’s talk about sound. Sound quality is excellent. I do not use a pair of very expensive ear buds, but the sound coming out of this little genius of a player is just magnificent. I love how the sound quality is so superb, and comparable to Apple products. The fact that I didn’t spend a fortune to get that quality is what I like the most about the player.

The video function is also decent. I am not big on videos, so I cannot really review much on this aspect. However, from the limited number of times I have used the function, I was fully satisfied. Other functions such as radio and recorder round out this player as being versatile, and that’s actually something iPod originally cannot do.

And oh, did I mention this player is most probably cheaper than the iPod? Money is always a decisive factor when it comes to an electronic purchase. And if you are looking to save a little money without sacrificing quality, this player is for you!

perfect little mp3 player

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

So with all the different mp3 players currently on the market, I had some research to do before buying a new one to replace my old sansa.  I had a sansa 2gb clip that worked extremely well for me on an everyday basis for several years.  After having that positive experience, I was looking to stay with the sansa brand unless another brand just wowed me.  I am extremely impressed with my sansa fuze since I bought it a few months ago.  First of all, the battery life on this thing is amazing.  Honestly, I very rarely have to charge it and I work out with it for about 1 hour most days of the week.  The video screen is small, however, if you are buying this mp3 player you are probably not buying it for the video capabilities.  8 gb player will generally hold around 2,000 songs and there is so many different custom options for playlist creating that is extremely easy to manage either on the device or on your PC.

sound quality is very good

from Allen, TX

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

I have been using my sansa fuze 8GB mp3 player for more than 1 year now. I like it very much.

The 8GB built-in capacity is enough for me and it can also be expanded through the micro-SD card. Sansa Fuze 's look is not bad. Mine is a black one. The feel is so so since it is plastic. It is very compact and can fit in small pocket without any problem.

The sound quality is very very good, but you need a pair of good headphone. The headphone coming with it is not very good. With a good headphone/earphone/earbud, the sound is better than ipod, I think it is comparable with sony.

It can support lots of formats, including flac, if you prefer the loss-less format music. ape can be supported by using rockband firmware. It can also support play by folders, which is very useful to me.

The video or picture function is not much of use to me. The screen is too small to watch video.

It also has FM radio build-in with 40 preset stations. It has built-in voice recorder. Overall, it worths the money. I recommend it.

Great Player and Features for Price

from Mc Leansville, NC

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

I received this mp3 player for Christmas this year and after a few days of messing around with it, I like it a lot!  For the price that these are, it is a really great deal with a ton of features.  It comes with Rhapsody software but I prefer to just plug it in to the usb port and drag and drop files directly into their corresponding folder on the actual drive.  This player will do music, video, photo and FM radio which I especially like.  It also has an expandable micro SD slot for adding extra memory or for using the slot radio cards that you can buy in the stores.  The menus are kind of tricky to navigate at points when you have music multiple folders deep but once you figure it out everything goes smoothly.  Overall I would recommend this to someone who isn't an apple fanboy and just wants a well made mp3 player with several good features.  I about forgot, but you can also record voice memos as well with the built in microphone.

SanDisk Fuze is my choice

from Greenwood, IN

Comments about SanDisk - Sansa Fuze (8 GB) Digital Media Player:

I love the SanDisk Fuze! This is acutally my second Sanza. When I went to the store to get an MP3 player, I told the man "I want an iPod, but I won't pay for the letter i." He immediately told me to get a SanDisk, and he was right. It's not a name that's as popular as iPod, but it, in my opinion, is just as good. I have been so impressed with SanDisk, that when I out grew the first one, I knew my next mp3 player would be a SanDisk.

This Fuze is great! It's easy to use, and easy to load. I often drive out of state, and this is with me on every trip. I also bought the car adapter, and I can listen to it as I drive. It makes my drive fly by.

I talk about this mp3 player so much, that my sister who always purchased iPods actually told me she wanted to buy a SanDisk! She also got the fuze, and she loves it too.

Do you want an iPod, but don't want to pay a bunch of extra money for the letter i? Then Sanza is the product for you!