3.8

Samsung Instinct Cell Phone

3.8

Pros

Cons

This is a very handy device that is very easy to use.

The Samsung Instict is a wonderful phone - when it works correctly (which is most of the time).  It has several handy features like GPS navigation, visual voicemail, email synching, html web browsing, and an easy to use interface.  Sprint's (the only network this phone is available on) 3G network isn't quite what it should be, but works well in most areas.  Phone calls are pretty clear, and i've had no trouble with dropped or inconsistent calls.  In-call menus are easy to use for the most part, although it takes a bit of getting used to.  Texting works well for the most part, too.  Typing wrong letters can be a problem if you try to type too fast.  And although it doesn't have an auto-correct feature - it does highlight incorrectly spelled words for you.  Features like web browsing and the map feature of Sprint Navaigation can both be ultra-slow when going down the highway (sometimes I can't get a map to load at all).  However, the turn-by-turn navigation feature always works and hasn't led me astray yet.  It even automatically checks for slow traffic and will ask you if you'd like to adjust the route to get around traffic.  Works like a charm!  Not to mention, this service has a very nice interface with the Live-search feature, which makes finding businesses and getting directions to them very easy.  Another nice feature of this phone is the volume.  Both the earpiece and speaker can be turned up and down easily with the volume rocker on the side of the phone.  The speaker has excellent volume, and can easily fill a small room with sound.  The radio feature works well as long as you are pretty much sitting still.  Visual voicemail is a very nice feature to have.  So far, this has worked great, and saves lots of time and frustration or trying to sift through voicemails.  The email synching feature works well too.  I have both my personal email and my work email synched to my phone, and both work great.  Both of these features are easy to set up to, as the phone's interface software directs you each step of the way.  News, sports, and weather are all very easy to access through dedicated web functions.  This is great for giving me something to do while, say, waiting in the lobby at the dentist.  It's very easy to navigate through these menus and scrolling through news articles is a breeze - the text is fairly large and formatted to fit the screen.  The web browser has some pros and some cons.  Web pages are displayed well, with full html, but scrolling through them can be a bit clunky.  Also, it would've been nice to have more zoom options - 1/2x is way too small, 1x is still pretty small text for most pages, and 2x is just too big.  This makes clicking on links especially tough when you get on sites with lots of links right next to each other.  I hardly use the multimedia features, as the TV/Video feature is slow to begin with, and most stations and some videos cost extra.  Multimedia messaging is nice, and makes sharing pictures and videos very easy.  The camera is easy to use, and takes fairly good pictures for a phone, but doesn't have much editing capability.  All in all, this is by far the best phone i've ever owned.  It has the most functionality and best features.  The Instict is very easy to use, and the touch screen works great.  I have yet to delve into some features, but so far, i'm very pleased.

The Instinct that is limited with it's instincts

Well, I have been owning the Samsung Instinct one day previous to date of launch at the Sprint stores. At first, I did all my research, and was very intrigued about the purchase I was about to make. The phone seemed as such a great bargain for the price when purchasing it with a two year agreement and rebate. A plus that came with this phone that I do enjoy is that it came with two battery's and its own battery charger to place in so you may always have talk time. This phone in my opinion has too many technical issues in such a small amount of time. Two months after purchase, it would not allow me to use the phone at all. It would make a loud buhh noise, and would not let dial out or let anyone's call get to me. It was later replaced with a new Samsung Instinct. When the phone is not having technical issues, its wonderful. The phone access the web faster than alot of the phone's I have ever seen before. Television access is able at watching a lotted time slots. The television viability and colors could use some work as it looks funny a lot, people tend to look orange and red. This phone also haves 2.0 mega pixel for the camera, and with the right light the pictures come out beautiful, and sending these pictures are simply easy. It also includes a camcorder on it, that works well but only allows you two minute's of recording at a time, and if you are the one holding the phone your voice is extremely loud and your surroundings is extremely low. I wish this phone came with a light option for camera. You do have zoom options on the camera which is more hassle than good if trying to understand how to use it to take a picture. This phone is just a touchscreen, nothing else. Which sucks, because the keyboard's go out extremely fast, and the phone tends to become useless you have everything on speed dial, and app's programmed in. You have a limited amount of app space. The keyboard touch screen takes a little getting use too, and with your nails (if you have them) your screen will acquire quite a bit of scratch's with in time. It is easy to change your wall paper to your own pictures which is nice. It is also a breeze to assign pictures to your contacts. The calender could use some extra storage space or option to delete all your past month at one swap rather than pressing delete all, and that is only one day of deleting. That is very time consuming. I have seen that this phone has bluetooth sending capabilities, which in the user guide is very non descriptive and I have yet been able to use this function. Also, using your headset bluetooth at times can be easy to connect, and other times, a headache of it not wanting to connect even though you can have the bluetooth and phone side by side it still takes in my opinion too many times to sync up. I enjoy having the application of the up to date news, as long as it stays working, usually I will get a message at least every two months of "uncaught application" of some sort with a red button and it will exit out and you cannot get back on it until you return it to the Sprint store and they fix it. Which also can and has occurred in numerous application's that this phone has come from factory with. I have had problems with the phone taking pictures while I was on it, when it was having technical problems. Some other technical problems that I have occurred with this phone are: while trying to start a text message it would link me to web, while trying to call someone the phone would turn a greyish color/ freeze/ or reboot itself, while connecting or unconnecting the cellphone charger it leave's me a message that I was connecting to the computer (one of the features of this phone in which I have never tried)and would stay up there until I took the battery out and put it back in, I have experienced other people's pictures staying on the phone when they have hung up and I was on the phone with someone else at a different number (it would clear off when I hung up), this phone has called people on it's own just by me unlocking it, it has programmed wrong pictures to assigned picture id's, previous pictures I have taken and seen for a while turned to a blur color when previewed, these are all the technical issues in which I have in-countered that I can remember. I have had multiple technician's work on my phone, in store and online including a hard reset (which I would not recommend they restarted my contract a whole other problem with in itself), I have had two brand new Samsung Instinct's and two refirbushed Instinct's. If you have the time and patience to put into this phone maybe it could be the phone for you, but for me it's not, and unfortunetally I am stuck with it until the end date of my contract. Hope this helps.

an average phone

from Pasadena, TX

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

this phone is a good starter phone if youve never had a touch screen phone. texting is a little slow and has a lil bit of a lagging problem but it eventually catches up. i bought this phone when it first came out and it was a lil high priced

poor performance

from Davis, CA

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

the samsung instinct is a good entry to the smartphone arena by samsung. however, the instinct is not enough to challenge the many other smartphones currently out in the market. for one thing, it cannot multitask, which is an extremely big problem. for example, if you are on the internet browser and someone is texting you, you will have to exit the browser in order to view the message and then respond to the message. the internet browser may also crash, especially the built-in Opera browser.

Fortunately, battery life is average, the screen is clear and bright enough, and checking email is very easy. Email will automatically update and is included in a quick link in the first screen.

The screen is not multitouch, and it is a resistive type this screen. this means that using a pointer pen will work on the touchscreen, but make sure nothing is pushing up against the screen when the phone is in a pocket or bag as the screen will record those touches as well.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Better than an iphone and cheaper

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

wahoo samsung

from Eau Claire, WI

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

I was very excited to get this phone. I had never had such a high tech phone before and this things ahs been great. I have had it for over a year now. There are something I dont like, but the pros make up for the cons in a big way. I LOVE that it has navagation on it. It really works good too. It is a navagation that does turn by turn, maps, traffic and more. I love the big touch screen. Some links on the web are small but the stylus works great! the camera works awesome, take pictures and videos and its seems pretty high quality. The few things I dont like are, having had this phone for over a year the battery is starting to suck. I dont get as much battery life as I used to, but the hpone comes with 2 batteries. I also have the problem of my phone locking up sometimes when Im on the web. All I have to do is tak out the battery and start over but if im in the middle of something, I lose my spot.  All in all i think this is a great phone and wouldnt trade my phone for a different one.

Apple, Blackberry, @ Att, move over something better is here!!!!

from Victorville, CA

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

I have the Instinct s30 and I have to say that this phone is awesome. It does everything the other phones do and more. I hate the idea of a touch screen, but this phone has proven to me that samsung knows how to make a phone. I still learn something about this phone I did not know it could do after a year, and a amazed at what it can do. AWESOME PHONE THANKS

Problems left and right

from Beeville, TX

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

My 1st did'nt even last a month returned & got another it freezes all the time turns off takes a day to turn back on. The touch screen sucks when you text even though you tap on the right letter it ends up with another. People call you and sometimes it does'nt even ring although its on high volume . Not all the web pages come on and when on the web takes forever to login your accounts like 10 mintues it is so slow. I don't recommend it to anyone not even my worst enemie .

It was fun at first...but now seems outdated

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

At first the Samsung Instinct by Sprint seemed like a great and more economical option to the IPhone and for the first 4 months or so it was. But a year into my service I am somewhat frustrated by its lack of applications and inability to quickly solve continual issues for basic programs such as voicemail. Here are a few of the biggest challenges I have had with day to day use.

1) If your face gets too close to the phone you will continually mute yourself and your friends will think you hung up on them.

2) If you don't delete your voicemails as soon as you get them or try to keep any saved, when you do try to delete them your phone will freeze and need to be "hard" booted back up. (ie, hold the button down and sometimes take the battery out)

3)While the phone does come with an extra battery that you can recharge which I LOVE-LOVE, the battery life after 2 months was down to about 2 hours of phone use or 2.5 batteries per day.

4)You will be continually bugged to update for "critical" fixes, which appear to only add Advertisements to all of your aps.

Everything is not bad on the phone especially not for the price, but if you are someone that will want to use everything it has to offer and will spend the money like I do to have have access to all of the extra services and unlimited data to use all of the aps, I would suggest springing for a more expensive phone and thinking of it as an investment. I was an ATT customer for 9 years and paid a hefty penalty to get out of contract to get this phone because I thought it was the smart buy and now realize that was probably not the smartest move.

Shop Smart!

Does good but too complicated

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

This is a great phone but it locks too fast and then seems to call people when it's just in your pocket. I don't get that. I originally bought it to go online but the feature wasn't worth the price so now I just text occasionally and call. The phone holds a charge well but it seems like when I put it down for a second it locks but then it will be in my pocket and I'll here it ringing and its called somebody when I didn't want it too. It's ok.

my life in my pocket

from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

This phone is great I can do everything on it from internet and checking my mail upload music ,watch tv and watch movies its great even my son loves it when we are out and about he can play games on my instinct or even watch his favorite cartoon. Another thing i love is that my instinct has GPS as wel so i know as ling as i have my trusty instinct i will never get lost agian

the samsung instinct just fail!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Samsung Instinct Cell Phone:

i got this for my birthday. i loved it for a year then it was just a piece of trash. there is no flash, not a lot of apps, you can butt dial people, bad tv signal, takes forever to get texts back, the battery life is really bad and other than that you will be going back to your sprint store once a week to get it fixed or replaces. good things are there is a gps inside, music player, email, pocket express, touch keyboard, instant voicemail, a lot of alarm clocks and 2.0 megapixel camera. its a big fat chubby phone so it looks weird in your pockets. and since its so big its hard to put it in and take it out of your pockets. oh yea you also got weather. its expensive and it freezes a lot and there is no zoom in or out so you need to be in a good position. if you want a good phone get the blackberry or the iphone. i've written reviews on both of them. bottom line i would not recommend it to adults who want to use it for business.