View more cell phones

SGH-U700
Samsung Gleam Cell Phone

Samsung Gleam Cell Phone

3.6

A great phone to personalize!

The Samsung Gleam is a wonderful phone. There are plenty of ways to use it! I would recommend getting an extra memory card for it to load music onto. It has touch-screen style buttons on the front to play music, which I frequently use when disc golfing or grocery shopping. Also helpful for storing pictures and videos. Has the ability to record sounds or songs and send them in text messages to friends and family. This is a useful tool if you are at a concert and want to send someone a quick soundbite! The camera isn't great; you have to hold the phone nearly perfectly still if you don't want your pic to be blurry, and there is no flash. The phone can also record 30 seconds of video at a time, which you can also send in text messages (along with pictures). Sound volume is flexible, and it comes with a nice variety of preset ringtones. I also like the "moving wallpaper" option for the phone. You can set the screen to look like you're driving down a road, with a "dashboard" setup for text messages, missed calls, and date and time. If you take pictures of friends and set them to their phone numbers, the pictures show up on the FRONT screen, not just the inside screen. You can set dialing to look and sound like you're writing down the number with colored pencils, and inbound text messages sound like someone's honking at you if you use the car-themed moving wallpaper! Overall, the uniqueness of the settings you can select is the best part of this phone!

The Samsung Gleam is very compact

When I first took a look at this phone, the Samsung Gleam, I thought, "This is great! It is sleek, trim, will be easy to slip in and out of my pocket & purse!" Well was ever I wrong! Yes, it is easy to slip in and out of places, but it also slips easily out of your hands! So after 1 and a half years, I had to pay the replacement cost because it had 'slipped' out of my hands so many times. I would think twice again about acquiring this little gem. Also there is a problem with the music access located on the front of the phone. You cannot slip this into your pocket with out locking it out first. If you do, you risk running your battery down. The camera button is on the side of the phone so you can also easily activate the camera if the phone is in your pocket. The pros are quite nice however, they do not outweigh the cons. Pros are: sleek, bluetooth, speakerphone, easy 1-touch dialiing, easy menu to get accustomed to. Cons are: too slim, slippery, the music button on the front gets activated if the phone is in your pocket thereby wasting battery life, picture quality less than ideal.

Very nice, compact, useful phone

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

I got a Samsung Gleam about a year and a half ago and its a great little phone. I like the fact that it is compact and slips easily into a pocket or purse (although a few times it has gotten lost in my purse because it is so small). The sound quality is excellent. Another nice thing about it is that it is easy to customize the  look and function of it - I change my wallpaper and fonts essentially on a whim and it is very easy. Adding contacts is easy, too.

It is equipped to handle texting but the keypad is too small to text really efficiently. It is also mobile-web equipped,(which I've used a few times in emergencies) but the keyboard and the screen are both so small that accessing the web can be very time consuming.

As for the camera and video camera, the quality of the picture is not that great but not horrible either -basically middle-of-the-road. I wouldn't use the Samsung Gleam to shoot footage that I wanted to keep forever, but it is handy when you are out-and-about and see something interesting you want to take a picture of.

It seems like I am really focusing on the negatives, but I just want to make it clear what it is and what it isn't. It's not a smartphone, so if you are expecting this you will be disappointed. But if you are buying a phone because you need a good, basic phone, this is an excellent choice.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Sleek and appealing looking

from Klamath Falls, OR

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

I like the look and size of this phone but the key pad is too shiny making it difficult to see the numbers while dialing. I wish the time would be displayed on front of phone if powered on for easier viewing

Slim,Sexy and reliable

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

I have always been a strong minded person and afraidto try out a new cellphone company but almost 2 years I "took the plunge" and bought myself the Samsung U700. It took a few days getting used to with its few touch buttons and different typing but I am happy I bought this item.

The Samsung U700 is very thin but don't let that fool you, its a solid piece. It has the latest gadgets and has space for a SD card if you ever run out of space. I use this phone to check my email at least 3/4 times a day and have never had any problems with the phone.

The cons: The software on this phone at the start was lousy and the phone went in for repairs at least 5 times till it was replaced. Since receiving the new software my phone has had no issues at all.

Pros: slim, latest gadgets and great for texting. I happen to send around 50 texts a day.

In short, this phone is for someone looking for something sexy that not only looks hot but also functions well and is able to allow one to keep up with everything in life.

I'm probably not upgrading when I renew my contract

from Columbia, MD

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

As you can probably tell by my headline, I like the Samsung Gleam so much that I may not even upgrade to a new phone after my two years and I have to renew my contract. It doesn't have the greatest camera in the world, but that's why I also own a camera. I also have an ipod so I don't see the need for phones to be MP3 players as well. The gleam is a sleek and simple flip phone. It doesn't have a full keyboard but it doesn't slow me down with texting. I've been back to the store to check out the new versions of phones and for some reason they seem to all be getting bigger. I don't know what manufacturers are thinking, but technology should be getting smaller and lighter...of course if these models didn't have to have cameras and music players and the ability to access the internet, maybe they could be smaller and easier to fit in my purse. I have dropped my phone a number of times, at least one time the battery pack flew off, but it still works just as good as when I got it. I wish I could get the same model again.

Definitely not the best phone I've had

from Baldwinsville, NY

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

The Samsung sch-u700 is what I would call a cheap phone.  I can't remember how much it cost me now, but whatever it was it wasn't worth it.  I even had a cellphone dealer ask me how I liked it because it didn't last long in the stores because no one bought it.  I wish I could turn it in for a new one.  It doesn't work in my house, even though my husband has the same wireless company.  The phone is not even a year old and I don not abuse it, I have never dropped it or gotten it wet and now when the phone rings the picture that is suppoed to come up doesn't.  All it does is light up the screen.  Also sometimes the ringer gets stuck on low volume and I can't get it to change.  Even if I turn the phone off and on or remove the battery and then replace it, it will just eventually start working again.  And all of the pictures that I take show up fuzzy no matter what.  Overall I think that this is a very poorly made phone and would not recommend it to anyone.

Nice looking phone, works well

from Wooster, OH

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

The Samsung Gleam is a very nice, sleek looking phones.  The features it include make it even more engaging including the Moving Wallpapers of cars driving either in the city or in the country.  The Samsung Geam phone is very easy to use.  The phone also has a lot of features that you can customize from the wallpaper, to the menu setup, the font, the brightness, etc.

The main complaint I have about this phone is the camera/camcorder.  I have found that the camera does not take very good pictures at all for a cellphone camera.  I have had several cell phones in the past that were cheaper and take much better pictures than the Samsung Gleam.  Luckily I do not use it for pictures very often.

Sometimes the phone will not ring but I am not sure if that is a mechanical problem or a problem that came with the Samsung Gleam phone.  It is fixable but is unfortunate because I have lost several calls due to this.

Samsung U700 has a clear crisp sound.

from Richmond Hill, NY

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

Samsung U700 Cellphone is phone to have. With 3.2 Megapixel camera and its auto focus, it takes great pictures. It has a built in 3G. Phone has great memory capacity to hold a bunch of pictures and its extendable to with a microSD card.

A great phone to personalize!

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

The Samsung Gleam is THE best cell phone I have ever had!

from Pamplico, SC

Comments about Samsung Gleam Cell Phone:

I have owned my Samsung Gleam cell phone for almost two years now.  This is without a doubt the nicest phone I have ever had.  It is lightweight, which is important to me, since I carry it all day long, six days a week.  I can put it in my pocket and don't feel weighted down.  It is very easy to use, takes great pictures, too.  I have a black phone with gold trim.  It's very cool looking.  I always get compliments on it.  I'm due to switch phones in August, but I think I'll keep my Samsung Gleam!  I would highly recommend this cell phone!

The Samsung Gleam is very compact