View more cell phones

Trance
Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone

Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone

3.7

Light-weight, durable and reliable phone.

I've had this phone for almost a year, and I haven't had too many complaints. I like that it's light-weight and easily portable. It's not bulky or mis-shaped that it won't fit in my pants pocket or purse. Some of the phone is touch which makes it easier to navigate.

What I don't like about the phone is that it doesn't have video capability. If I would have known that before I order it, it probably would have prevented me from choosing it. However, the earpiece volume is sufficient, and the battery life is good. It can normally go without charge for three days with minimal use. I can normally talk on it for about four to five hours straight before it goes dead.

I like that it isn't a flip or swivel phone; all you have to do is push up, and it opens which makes it easier to answer calls in my opinion. The phone is also an mp3 player, and with a micro sd card you're able to download hundred of songs and play them from the phone. The volume on the player is pretty loud and can be heard pretty well in the car. The phone also has an earphone jack. An older phone that I used required you to purchase a special earphone piece in order to listen to music through headphones, so I thought it was a great feature for Samsung to allow normal earphone plugs to listen to music through the phone.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this phone and will probably look into getting another Samsung once I can upgrade phones again.

Gorgeous and Minimalist

I got it for someone on my share plan, and for a minimal strictly-phone user it's great - no distractions or complications, stylish slider, excellent responsiveness of touch-buttons (with vibrating feedback; considerably better than on Chocolate).  It's cool that the power cable converts into the USB cable; however, it also means that the little vampire keeps sucking power out of your laptop the entire time it's hooked up, even if all you're trying to do is transfer some files.  Furthermore, you can only copy & paste music files - it's impossible to access photo folder via USB, which is astonishingly dumb.

Our version is red, and it's quite striking.  The only thing is that from the picture, I thought the face would be smoothly rounded off, but in reality it's like a tray - it has a raised ridge all around the perimeter, so that was a bit disappointing.

However, the biggest disappointment was the music sound quality.  It was billed as a superb music device - however, the sound is just plain horrible.  It's infinitely worse than any of the phones I've owned, incl. LG and Motorola, and even worse than my old laptop speakers.  The sound is "tinny" and w/o depth.  I've tried all genres of music, all types of files, under all available playback modes, but they all sound absolutely horrible.  Don't buy this phone for music!

It works great and doesn't have any problems

from Greenville, SC

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

It's a great phone. I've never had any problems with it, except for once when the vibrator stopped working for a day or two (very random). I've had it for three years now, and the battery life is still really good. I don't use it for texting or internet though, and I know that the keyboard would be hard to user for that.

Overall I've loved it and never had any issues.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Bad customer service

from Heyworth, IL

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I had this phone for about 2years, my contract is over, they still didn't fix the phone.

After I bought the phone, in about 1week, I went to Verizon wireless store and told them the phone's camera doesn't do zoom in and out. They told me that I have to wait for the software updates through the phone later.

2 years passed, they never do any software updates. I never be able to zoom in or out for 2 years. For this, I missed a lot of good pictures for my daughter.

I don't think that I will buy Samsung phone anymore. They should be able to fix the problem by now.

I'm really disappointed about it.  I dunno if I should blame it at Samsung or Verizon Wireless.

Another thing is the camera starts really slow, when the camera is ready, my daughter already has changed poses. So most of time the pictures are not clear.

The only good thing about the phone is that you can charge it through PC or laptop, it comes with an USB port.

camera zoom in and out never worked, I waited 2years for them to fix it, but it never happen

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Everything's fine except the touch screen can be slow.

from Cambridge, MA

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

Everything is likable about this phone except three things:

1. the touch screen pad is apparently "temperature-sensitive" according to some online review websites. So if your body temperature is generally lower than average, like mine, the pad won't respond to your finger touches very well, which can be annoying especially when you are in a hurry.

2. Can't transfer photo files through USB or through bluetooth to my computer.

3. The Bluetooth can't find my laptop (Macbook)

4. Good/ bad depends on personal preference: Alarm sound can be as loud as a real alarm clock. Works for me. but some might think the loudness is annoying.

The CNET site has a few more helpful points and videos on this phone. Unfortunately, it looks like "ViewPoints" doesn't allow Copy/ Paste from other sites so you would have to check out those reviews separately.

The phone has a modern look. Mine is a nice lacquer red.

This maybe the best phone I've ever had.

from Lovington, IL

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I received this phone as an upgrade when my plan was up for renewal last March.  I fell in love with it from the moment I started using it.  The slide feature worried me a little at first, but it's turned out to be very durable.  The sound from the phone is incredible; in fact, most of the time I can't have it turned all the way up without having the rest of the world hearing my conversations.

As a music player, though, it excels!  One thing I like quite a lot is that this phone has a standard headphone jack as opposed to the smaller specialized jack that most phones use.  I also appreciate that my standard SD-Micro card functions int his phone with no issues; my last phone wasn't quite as good on this subject.

The camera is excellent!  I use it all the time.  I have a hobby of creating interesting backgrounds for my computer screen; this camera allows me to capture great images wihtou having t lug around my full-size digital camera.

Overall, I'd recommend this phone heartily to anyone in the market.  It's not the state-of-the-art item, but it's solidly dependable.  I wish all phones were as well made and usable as this one.

Samsung Trance - Keeps me in a trance!

from Haledon, NJ

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I received the Verizon Trance phone a few months back. I got it for its mp3 capabilities right out of the box. Meaning, I plug the included usb cord into my computer, and voila, I can transfer music onto my phone that I can take with me in my car. It's speakerphone is basic, but it's nice to hear my music when I otherwise would have nothing.

My favorite feature has been the music player and the touch buttons (think chocolate phone evolved without the wheel). It has a smooth sleek look to it, and comes in some sweet colors.

My least favorite feature of the phone is the voice reception. It's not bad enough to where I would consider switching phones, but I upgraded from an old, old phone, and the quality of the voice reception was better with my older phone.

I loved my Trance the minute I ordered it (and it was free with a 2yr signup), and I have not regretted my decision, not even once!

All in all, it has passed my test for great cell phones.

It's a nice compact phone, and cute!

from Oxford, MI

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I think the Samsung Trance is a good enough phone.  The touch screen can be annoying, while talking on the phone my face sometimes touchs it, and beeps.

I have only had the phone for about a month, so I'm still playing with it, so I haven't used all the features.  It does have nice sound through the ear buds and the mouthpiece attached seem to work well too.

The phone is heavy enough so that you don't feel like you're going to easily break it, but not so heavy that you can't stick it in your pocket.

The sound quality is pretty good.  I don't have problems with dropped calls, although that could be a network thing.

Overall the phone is a good value and has many features, that I still need to get to. I am satisfied with the features I have used.

The Trance is nice

from Ramona, CA

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

Two things drew me to this phone when I first saw it,  first was the fact that it was a music phone that actually had a decent speaker installed on it, and the second was that it had a standard size headphone jack that I didn't need an adapter to plug my headphones into.  The music player on the phone is a little limited, especially if you're use to the functionality of even an early generation ipod, but it more than does its job, and it will interrupt playback for texts and phone calls.  The phone features a micro SD card slot for easy expansion of your audio library, and handles most standard formats.  The only noticeable exceptions being iTunes' and Zune Marketplace proprietary file types due to the Digital Rights Management issues that comes along with them.  The phone also will route the phone's receiver audio though the headphone jack as well, so there's no need to remove your headphones to take a call.

great phone

from Saratoga, CA

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

This is probably the best phone I've ever owned, as my previous phones were free LG flip phones that were very heavy and had no features at all. The Samsung Trance has a very slim design that easily fits in your pocket. It also has a very clear and sharp screen, and the quality of phone calls is excellent. Additionally, I rarely have any dropped calls and almost always have reception wherever I am.

The user interface is very easy to use as I only use this phone for calling and sometimes for text messaging. It is easy to store contacts on the phone and access them to call or text. There is a camera on this phone, but the picture quality is not very good. When I start the camera, there is also a little lag as it sets up. When you take a picture, there will be a little delay, so it is difficult to take pictures of moving objects as they will definitely appear blurry. Despite the problems with the camera, the phone is still very good if you do not need to use the camera. Another problem is the back cover for the battery. This plastic cover is very flimsy and often falls off when the phone takes any sort of impact. It would have been nice if Samsung had made a more durable cover that doesn't look like it's about to break.

Samsung Trance, alright for a free phone

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for approximately 18 months.  At first I was very excited to receive this phone but over time it has shown a few design flaws.

My one major complain about this phone is the back plate on it.  It slides off quite easily just by slipping the phone into my pocket which then causes the battery to fall out.  As you can imagine, this is quite inconvenient.  The camera on the phone is not bad if you are in a high light situation.  There is no flash so during a low light time the picture tends to become very fuzzy.  However, this was the only camera we had when my daughter was born and it took clear enough pictures for us to have printed out in 4x6 size.  It's a bit slow to load and to take a picture but overall not a terrible camera.

Sounds quality is pretty good, I don't talk much but I've never had a problem with it.  Texting isn't any more difficult than with any other non-QWERTY phone. And picture message are easy to send.

I've never tried using the internet or anything like that on this phone either.

Not a bad phone to receive for free with contract renewal.

A really annoying phone.

from Fort Stewart, GA

Comments about Samsung - SCH-u490 Cell Phone:

I got this phone because I liked it's sleek design and was interested in trying a semi-touch screen phone without spending a lot on a smart phone. From day one it was irksome. The mute button is a touch button that hit my cheeck every time I answered the phone so I would have very confused callers hang up on me until I realized it was muted. The speaker phone button was placed right where I hold the phone so I had similiar problems with speaker phone turning on when I answered the phone. The touch buttons we placed poorly and I often ended up erasing whole text messages because my finger swiped the clear button. Call quality is decent, music play is a nice option but speakers aren't really good enough for me to want to play music on my cell phone. Battery life was average for most phones i've had. Also, didn't have a camcorder which was odd. All in all it wasn't a horrible phone, but it was definitely a frustrating one and I got a new phone as soon as I could afford to.