View more cell phones

Samsung Rant Cell Phone

3.7

Pros

Cons

Rant. Everyone is "ranting" about this phone.. in a good way!

I have the "purple" Samsung Rant. I had the Instinct but I changed it really fast b/c of the dying battery... even though it comes with an extra one. I loved this cellphone from the start. It has the pull out keyboard which is great for fast texting. The battery is great.. it is charged & ready within 2 hours after being on the last bar.

I chose the purple one b/c I figured everyone else would choose the normal colors and i wanted to be unique. The customer representative told me that this phone is way better than the LG Rumor and I agree. Only b/c on the Rant you can watch tv and on the Rumor you can not.

It has great features, but it is extremely unreliable.

I have never had problems with Samsung, I have loved all of their phones up until now. The Rant is an extreme disappointment for me. After my upgrade, I decided I wanted a keyboard, so I chose the Rant. It does so much! It has so many nice features (though it took me a long time to figure out how to do any of it). It had a memory card for pictures (so I was also able to put a custom wallpaper on it without buying one of Sprint's crappy ones). It holds music and games and does great with the Internet. But it is SO unreliable. When I hang up with someone or finish texting someone, it turns itself off. The first few times it happened, I didn't know what was going on. I ordered a pizza and the guy told me he would call me when he left to bring it to me (I live in a dorm, so they can't just knock on my door, they call me to let me know when I need to go downstairs). When I finally realized my phone was off, it was too late and I had to call and apologize and order ANOTHER pizza (the guy got a good tip, too). I had to get used to turning my phone on after every use. Another problem I have is that I have to fight it to get it to charge. This is a more recent development and I've read in other reviews that it may get worse with time. When I put the phone on the charger, the light is supposed to turn red. When it's done charging, it's green. Lately it's been turning orange when I put it on the charger, which apparently means "error." So I unplug it and it turns itself off. This is only a problem if I'm charging during the day because I might miss a call (it is not consistent in when it needs charged...sometimes it's at night and sometimes it's in the middle of the day). I then readjust the battery (the problem is that the battery comes loose, it seems), plug it back in, it turns red, and a second later it's orange again. This gets repeated a few times until the phone finishes charging.

A smaller problem I had, which is preventable, is that when I put it in my pocket it dials someone.  I was with my fiancee and we were discussing something and it turned out I had pocket-dialed his parents.  Parts of the conversation were on their answering machine.  I even had the phone locked so that you have to punch three keys in a certain order to unlock the phone!  This is to be expected of a phone that has the dial-pad on the outside, but it's annoying nonetheless. I got my phone in July, so it's not even a year old. I will probably have to upgrade soon, which is extremely irritating because I have to pay for the upgrade if it's before the two-year mark.

I know this phone is fairly old, but if you're with Sprint and you go to upgrade, don't get this phone.  I should have looked up reviews on it before I upgraded.  I will be sure to do so next time.

samsung rant battery

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

i have a samsung rant and the battery on it has horrible quality. You constantly have to charge it/ After am hour after charging it it dies then you have to charge it again. I would not recomend it to anyone because it is horrible.

Some decent features.

from Malden, MA

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

The phone does not have all the options that I was told it did. It has e-mail functionality, but you can only look at 24 messages at a time and you can not easily scroll back to old messages. To respond to e-mail you have very limited space unless you manually delete the original message in the box.

this is an awesome phone

from Belleville, MI

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

the sliding keyboard is great!the screen has options for how long to stay on, the ringtones that came installed are pretty good if you like techno music. very easy to learn all the functions of the phone,(user friendly) screen is a decent size Texting is a good feature, and instead of using the function button to change to numbers, while phone is open you have both abilities!!!!

Good phone for the price

from Brownsville, PA

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

I have has my Samsung for several years, very durable. My daughter however has the same phone and has problems charging the battery, it appears to be a problem with the phone and not the battery beacuse her battery charges fine in my phone.

ease of use

from Blanchard, OK

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

I am really glad I updated to this phone. It has the slide up with the keyboard for texting and it is really awesome. It is impossible not to text in this day and age and with this keyboard it makes it nice.

Good for texting

from Blairsville, PA

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

I like the slide out QWERTY keypad. Don't like the browser for internet (thru Sprint) - very slow and can't access secure websites. As soon as I can get an "upgrade" to my phone, I think I'll get the exclaim.

Cool Phone

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

It's a great phone and better than the Rumor. I think the only thing that I see that hasn't been mentioned is that it drains the battery quickly.Have dropped it a few times and still hasn't broken. The Samsung Rant feels good and is slim enough not to be too bulky. I also noticed that it isn't quite like a smartphone but can do tasks on a smaller scale - like internet surfing (although it loads slowly).Also you should have at least the unlimited data plan since the phone sends/receives data on its own unless you lock the data. If you don't notice it right away, you could incur expensive charges due to over-usage.

Great phone for texting

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

It's a great phone if you don't want to go all the way for a smart phone. It's capabilities are nice for texting and some usage for email/net. This phone has a great feel while using the qwerty keyboard. Great phone all around if texting is your thing. However, if you tend to use your Internet/email more than go with a smart phone instead. Some issues that I've seen while using this phone has been:Battery doesn't last more than a day without chargingBrowser sometimes crashes when using InternetIt (screen, applications, and browser depending what you were doing at the time) freezes for a second every once in a while.Sometimes it doesn't unlock and instead of pressing * and back, you need to press * and "end".Difficulties using a 3-rd party ringtone provider, had troubles downloading them.History for calls are short and doesn't save past more than a few entriesA few things that I loved were:Great size and weightKeyboard slides out easilySize of screenKeyboard size and phone pad are not too tiny for usageLots of little settings/tool settings that were neatTons of room for many contactsIs a camcorder and camera and has good resolution for being a phone cam

great texting phone

from Richmond, TX

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

this samsung rant phone is a good phone its long lasting and i would recommend this phone for people who mainly call or text, you can browse the internet send pic and videos, you can also recieve pics and video.

PROS

this phone is a texting phone is has the normal keeypad and when you push the side out a keyboard comes out for faster typing.

the key pad is great and soft so they work very well

long lasting it last at least a year if you take care of it i should last longer

if you are with sprint this phone has sprint tv which is a great free app built into your phone

long battery life

CONS

this is not a phone that has alot of apps so if ur someone who mainy download apps and play games this phone is not for that.

the app cost money and there not that cheap

for those girls and or guys who take alot of pictures you only have about have a gig of storage in the phone if you want more you have to buy a micro sd from best buy

for those who text very very very much your keypad might start to mess up after a year

butt dailing occurs sometime if you dont lock your phone

i advice not to download unkown or untrusted apps it will glitch your phone

summary

parents this is a great phone to igve your kids for thier first phone the price is cheap but long lasting

Looks great - flaws in service hurt it

from Winston, GA

Comments about Samsung Rant Cell Phone:

The Samsung Rant looks great.  The flip down keyboard is really easy to use and everything is logically laid out.  As a cell phone, it has all the features I want.  Basically, I need the ability to go on speakerphone (a requirement for ever being on hold) and a way to set custom rings per user.  I have no complaints whatsoever about the phone/texting part.

Internet browsing is basically unusable but I assume this is down to Sprint and not the phone.  Everything is routed through Sprint proxy servers so you can only really view pages that they have cached.  Everything else takes so long that you want to give up.

The only flaw I've found is that sometimes I cannot turn the keylock off.  The only way around it is to power down and then power up again.  It's a bit of a drag but not the end of the world.

I've found Samsung products to be of high quality  in the past so I nearly always buy them now.  I'm yet to be disappointed