3.2

3.2

Pros

Cons

• Call Quality:

Samsung Intercept - Nice little phone, and Android 2.2!

My wife has had this phone for about 6 months now and it has been a pretty decent phone.  Currently running Android 2.2 which is great since my Samsung Moment can't get past 2.1...  Capable of running all the same apps as any other Android phone.  A favorite feature of mine is the slideout keyboard.  I can't do without it.  Provides ease of typing long message (or short ones) to minimize mistakes.

Phone feels durable - not like some cheap piece of plastic some phones feel like.  This one feels pretty good.  Touch screen is responsive and quick... except in the situation of my one complaint:

Only complaint would be occassional lockups or slow software... but from my expreience this plagues almost any smart phone (including iPhone).

Since the phone has been out for a while you can now find a wide array of accessories for it, including screen protectors, carrying cases, protective covers in several colors, etc.

All in all I would say we are pretty happy with our phone purchase and would recommend it to others.

Samsung Intercept: Good alternative to an expensive smartphone

I got the Samsung Intercept after some extensive shopping around for a replacement to my Sanyo Katana, once I decided to upgrade once more to a phone with smartphone capability and a QWERTY keyboard. Some aspects of the Intercept I have been impressed with, while being disappointed with others.

**Touch Screen:** 3/5 Stars. The touch screen sensitivity seems to fluctuate a lot. Sometimes, it's slow and hardly wants to read a finger drag, but if I'm speaking on the phone, the slightest tap against my cheek will hang up the phone (though this seems to be improved since the Android 2.2 upgrade). Also an issue, is trying to get the screen to become visible if it shut off during a call, if you need to use the keypad on the screen. I have hung the phone up several times even since the 2.2 upgrade trying to get the dialpad to show up so that I can press through menu options on automated directories.

**QWERTY Keyboard: **5/5 Stars. The keypad is fantastic, and easy to use. Since the main screen slides out to reveal it, it's a larger keyboard than you'd find on a Treo or Blackberry.

**Android OS:** 3/5 Stars, primarily because of the most recent OS update (2.2.1). I had fewer problems with the previous OS. The OS sometimes slows or freezes inexplicably, particularly when you're switching from "landscape" and "portrait" view on the screen. Some applications can be difficult to cancel out of, so you'll have something sucking your battery life in the background and not realize it unless you go into the settings and do a force close on unnecessary programs (though this is as much a problem by the designers of the individual applications as a fault of the OS). Version 2.2 brought some good things: harder to turn speakerphone on and off accidentally, as well as harder to hang up on someone, but easier to answer incoming calls, sleeker look to things like GMail, Texts messages, etc. However, it also brought some issues. I have noticed that it runs slow more frequently, plus my text messages are coming in out of order - I frequently text with my husband, and I'll receive a text from him that is time stamped for 5 minutes in the future, so everything that I send back to him, or he sends in those 5 minutes will get buried in the text thread, while the "future" text stays on top. We have no idea WHY it's doing this, since both of our phones keep the same time.

**Applications/Android Market: **4/5 Stars. There are a number of fantastic applications available at the Android market, many of them for free. The market is fairly easy to navigate, though I think that the new layout takes longer to load and is more complicated to navigate than the previous version. I can't provide feedback on how it compares to the variety of applications available to iPhone users, because I don't have any Apple products that I'd be browsing the Apple store for.

**Internet:** 4/5 Stars. The browser is about as good as you'd imagine for your basic smartphone. It's leaps and bounds better than the internet capabilities I had on my Sidekick (first generation), or my Treo. You can open multiple windows and toggle between them. However, recently, the browser has occasionally spontaneously shut down for no reason. If they could fix this one issue, the internet would get 5/5.

**Ringtones:** 2/5 Stars. You can't set separate ringtones for different types of notifications (or if you can, I've failed to find this feature in the past 4 months, so it's not intuitive to a fairly tech-savvy user), so your email, voicemail, texting, etc notifications are all the same sound. Also, if you are connecting to your GMail account for your contacts, you can't add individual ringtones. To add an individual ringtone for the user, you have to recreate their profile on your phone. GMail contacts don't have the ability for individual ringtones, only contacts stored directly on your phone do. Fortunately, Android is usually smart enough to link the two contacts. HOWEVER, I have noticed that this means that sometimes, someone that I have on a special ringtone will ring in on the general ringtone - so I guess that sometimes it's pulling its information from the GMail contact, and othertimes from the Phone contact? As a bonus, you can use mp3s as ringtones, and a free app called ringdroid will let you cut the mp3 to specifically the portion you want to use as your ringtone.

**Phone:** 4/5 Stars. This wouldn't be a proper review without a critique of the Intercept's abilities as a phone. The Intercept volume is good, whether on regular phone or the speakerphone feature. The main problems with the phone capability have been mentioned in previous sections, regarding the hang-up issues when needing to turn the screen back on to use the dialpad, and due to screen sensitivity. The contacts is great, and you can "star" your favorite/most used phone numbers. Haven't tried speed dial often, although I have two stored, it doesn't seem to work with just pressing the number on the touch screen. There's also a voice dial capability that I've used once while driving, and it worked well.

What Was Samsung Thinking?

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

This phone only lasted 2 months in my care, without any damage and one update. The only update I got on this phone was from Android 2.1 Eclair to Android 2.2 Froyo. Three cons of the Samsung Intercept are: The phone calls people without your permission (using up your plan minutes), it shuts off your Wi-Fi when you're using it for more than 5 minutes, every app imaginable had to be forcibly closed. This is only a few in a laundry list of issues.

Battery Life
The battery life is pretty good... if you have 2 backup batteries. My battery that came with my phone didn't last a 2 hour bus trip from my flat into the city centre and back.

C'est la vie.

Call Quality
It works when it wants to. Other times, you have to deal with crackling on your end of the phone.

You have to swear at it in order to get it to work in some way. Other than that, you'll be instantly aggravated at this phone, to the point where you want to throw it out of a 30 story building.

If the phone takes 10 minutes to make a call, how durable is it? It's even longer to make a text message go out.

It was a cute little phone, but it was too slow. Plus, it needed a flash on the camera, a more responsive keyboard and the touchscreen consistently needed calibrating.

• Call Quality:

Great phone at first but then everything falls apart.

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

Ok for a beginner phone to be used for a very short period of time. This phone deteriorates fairly quickly and the storage on the phone is very limited.

Battery Life
Although I did as recommended and did not charge my phone until it was dead, the battery life still drained quickly. Again, at first it worked fine but after about three months it's life started to shorten.

Display/Screen Quality
If I remember correctly this phone has a 3.2" screen on it which was small even for the time when the phone was released. This made it difficult to fully operate the touch screen. Otherwise, the display was fine, other than occasional freezes.

Call Quality
I dropped calls like crazy with this phone. It would randomly hang itself up..

This was the first smartphone that I owned so getting used to it was difficult but that was more user error than anything dysfunctional with the phone.

I never really dropped mine but what makes me give it a four is the fact that one day it turned off and WOULD not turn back on, no matter what I tried.

This phone was not poorly designed but it did not measure up to the phones that were coming out around the time of this phones release.

Good phone for price

from Lansdale, PA

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

Great phone for texting. Very bad for you if you like to use data often.

Battery Life
You have to turn off all background data and sink capabilities, wifi just to get it to last 2 days without charging. Also battery runs down quickly if you loose signal

Display/Screen Quality
Screen works great. Easy to access the program you want and personalize your screens.

Call Quality
Volume works well. Speaker phone is ok but I don't use very often.

Very easy to figure out.

2 years and ticking. Works as well as it did when I got it. Has a 2G data capacity.

You will take photos of weird things because of where the click button is if you don't lock your phone. Buttons are easy to click on for texting.

A nice solid phone.

from Franklin Square, NY

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

Decent phone. Does seem to freeze up alot when using kindle app. Also takes a long time to boot up.

Battery Life
For regular function the battery lasts quite a while. But using the mp3 or reader apps run the battery down quickly.

Display/Screen Quality
Samsung always has good video quality

The phone has been dropped quite a few times with no damage.

Great Samsung Phone

from Houston, TX

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

I was sent this phone to conduct a survey, apparently it wasn't supposed to do anythign but the survey but I managed to get to the internet :), the internet ran very nicely I liked the layout of the android internet options. I wish I could say I had access to phone calls to have written a review on that but I can't =[. The only thing I don't like about touch screens in general is they can get really dirty, and other people like to touch the screen with their dirty hands. The keyboard is nice because it has the qwerty format, also what I loved was the fact you can have an on screen keyboard, one draw back up the on screen keyboard was that ou might accidently hit th next key over and whatever you end up txting comes out weird.

Little pink phone

from Elizabethtown, KY

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

the best advice I could give someone would be, if you are wanting a phone that is fast.... this is not your phone. But if you are just wanting the basic smart phone, this is a wonderful little phone. I love the qwerty keyboard and the touchscreen is responsive enough for basic. AND it is pink, what more could a girl want. ;)

Battery Life
I have read that others have issues with it, but I charge it everyday and am not a heavy user of the phone.

Unpredictable, slow, unreliable.

from Beaverton, OR

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

I received this phone last Christmas. After getting it all charged up the first thing I found was that it last more than 24 hours and I almost never use it. After my husband tweaked some settings so it wouldn't constantly be using GPS services it started lasting longer. Still, it turns on and off randomly and won't charge until the battery has been taken out and put back in. When the battery is really low sometimes the phone won't respond. The screen sometimes doesn't register my finger well or it will just turn all red and freeze up. It's been a year and I think this Christmas I will be asking for a new phone. I love Android services but this phone is too glitchy.

Samsung Intercept - Nice little phone, and Android 2.2!

from Saint Louis, MO

Samsung Intercept is OK

from North Wales, PA

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

The Samsung Intercept was may first android phone so many of the things I'm experiencing may be due to the android operating system. If you are looking for a entry level android phone this may be as average as it can get. The phone itself is sturdy and nice to hold. The screen is not huge, but a decent size. The speed of the phone is about average. I've played with some of my friend's iphones and HTC EVOs and those phones are faster. Something I've noticed is that the phone gets slower with each app I install. There is also quite a bit of bloatware.

The one thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it does not sync with my outlook calendar, however, there was an app I bought to remedy that. My previous phone was an Palm Centro so I had expected this much newer generation smartphone to have this basic functionality built in. Battery life is fine. Lasts about a day with moderate use and up to 3 with little use.

This Samsung Intercept is Awesome

from Havelock, NC

Comments about Samsung Intercept Smartphone:

I am terrible with cell phones. I have a bad habit of dropping them without even trying to. Most cell phones, you drop them the first time and the screen will break or something else will quit working. I dropped my Intercent several times, from the top of the counter to the asphalt of the driveway. The screen didn't crack and the phone worked fine. The final fall, it landed on its backside, cracked the screen and even then everything functioned properly!