View more cell phones

U940
Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone

Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone

2.9

Love it- Wish it had come with more sound options.

I was very excited to purchase this phone. I had waited a while and looked at many options before deciding to go with this one. The sliding keyboard is great! Love the qwerty keyboard. The phone is bigger then most, so I would think the keyboard could have been bigger.

My biggest complaint is that the phone locks so quickly! I can never do anything without having to unlock it 2 or 3 times. It gets really annoying when you are trying to do two things at once. I also was a bit disappointed with the sound selection. I ended up buying a ring-tone, and then settling on sounds for texts and voice-mail. But there wasn't one selection that I liked. You would think with the technology this phone offers, that it would have some cool sound clips that come with it. Also, the battery life stinks! I have to charge it ever single night or is dead by mid-day the day following. It will go about 32 hours or so, and that's with not a ton of talking. I even have it on settings to help preserve battery life. My old phone, an LG, could go a good three days without needing to be plugged in.

Overall I like it, but I find myself wishing I had just gone with a nice flip phone instead of wanting the qwerty keyboard.

The Samsung Glyde is gliding it's way right into my heart!

**Update 12/09/09:** I've been forced to drop my rating from 5 stars down to 3, although some may say it should be lower after you hear why.  For the first year or so of using this phone, it was perfect, I loved it!  And I never experienced the touch screen problems everyone online is talking about.

Until recently... in the past month the touch screen on this thing has gone wacko.  It goes back and forth - 1 day it works perfect the next day it has a mind of it's own.  Either that or I have a ghost in the house touching the buttons.  Even so, I've been able to deal with it pretty well and it never got to the point where I couldn't do what I wanted even though sometimes it took longer than usual.  I've read many forums that say it is pointless to take it to Verizon because every Glyde goes bad eventually (according to forums).

So you can read my review below to see all the other good things about this phone, besides the touch screen.  Call me crazy but I plan to upgrade to the Samsung Rogue (aka the Glyde 2) as soon as my new every 2 plan is ready.  I've read that the Rogue solves all the touch screen problems by using a completely different technology.  Other than that, the Rouge supposedly has many of the same features of the Glyde so I'm looking forward to upgrading in a few months when I'm eligible.

All of that said - if you get a good good deal on the Glyde, then go for it.  It has many features that I love.  But be prepared for touch screen woes because it seems to happen to everyone eventually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Original Review:**

I admit it. When looking for a cell phone the first thing I look at is how pretty it is!  I know many people will compare all the features of all phones, but I can eliminate half the phones at Verizon's store because they are either ugly or too big for me.  Then I can eliminate half of what's left based on the price!

That is how I narrowed it down to the **Samsung Glyde**.  My husband kept telling me to try the Envy but I just did not like how it looked!  The Samsung Glyde had everything I wanted - it was pretty, I would get a good discount, and it had a QWERTY keyboard.  Everything else the Glyde offers is just nice extras!

**The Touch Screen is the main selling point of the Glyde.**  This isn't the main reason I bought it, but the touch screen is a nice touch!  It's a fancy-dancy feature that really just makes it easier to navigate, but really doesn't add much else.  Touch screens do mean that you have to buy something to protect your screen, however, otherwise it will likely get scratched.  I bought some clear cut outs that you cut to the size of your screen and it's kept my screen in perfect shape so far.

**The Keyboard is the reason I wanted it!**  I don't text message much, but I do like to leave myself notes and calendar events.  I Love the Keyboard because now I can quickly and easily type myself messages.  I'm a great typer, I know where all the keys are on a keyboard, so this makes life easier than the old way of having to hit the numbers to get a letter out.

**It Glyde's open with ease!**  The Glyde is a slider phone, much like the LG Chocolate that i had before it.  What's great about this is that it is much less likely to break.  I have many friends and family that broke their flip phones do to the weaker construction.  However a slider phone is very hard to break!  I dare you to pull the keyboard apart from the screen!  The phone slides open and if you drop it it usually just slides shut!  It won't break if dropped, although it will probably get scratched up.  I haven't dropped my Glyde yet, but I dropped my Chocolate a lot and it never came close to snapping apart.

**Calls are loud and clear, and the speakerphone is great!**  I use the speakerphone anytime that no one is around and I love it.  Calls come through loud and clear whether on speakerphone or not so you'll never hear me saying "can you hear me now?"  What I like the most is that I can glyde it open or closed without hanging up on the caller.  My LG Chocolate used to hang up when I closed it, making it so I lost a few calls that way.

**You can take large photos!**  Although I don't like to use my camera phone for pictures, I have a real camera for that, this phone does take large photos for when I must take a picture and my camera is not around.  I believe it goes up to 1600 which is quite large.  It's a good solution for teens and college students who like to take a lot of picture but don't want to spend the money on a separate digital camera.

**It's just cool! and I love it!**  I will probably still get a new phone in 2 years when it's time for my new every 2 deal, but I like this one enough to keep it if I don't find any new ones I like.  It's fun to play with, pretty to look at, and it works!  The batteries seem to last a long time as well.  With my Chocolate I was charging it daily or bi-daily, but with the Glyde I only charge it once every 3-4 days and sometimes I can go even longer.  There are lots of optional features you can use like the GPS or the MP3 Player, but even without using those this phone offers plenty for me.  What more could you ask for?

Samsung Glide = multiple headaches

from Connellsville, PA

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

Good idea but terrible design.  The touch screen is always changing form screen to screen with out touching anthing. The phone is such a pain to deal with. Selecting names form the address book is miserable to deal with. DON'T BUY.

Hate it & am stuck with it for another year & a half.

from Strawberry Plains, TN

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

I bought my Samsung Glyde several months ago. I previously had a Palm One Treo (much like a Blackberry) so I wanted a phone that had a Qwerty (sp) keyboard and somewhat of a touch screen but not soley a touchscreen as I am aware that they can easily become faulty. From the very beginning the touchscreen has been a pain in the rear. When I don't want it to be touchy, it makes calls just by simply having it in my hand. And when the phone rings and I am trying to answer it, I nearly miss calls trying to get the 'answer' on the touchscreen pad to enter. If I had the money to buy a new phone without a contract I would.

Slowly becoming the worst 2 years of my life

from Walkersville, MD

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

There is practically nothing that works with this phone.   This is by far the worst phone i have owned, used, touched or even seen.   My messages more often than not remain marked as unread after i read them.   This is very very annoying as it them becomes more difficult to see when i have a new message.   Sure it Glydes in the sence that it opens up to an awesome qwerty keyboard which don't get me wrong, i love.   However, a qwerty keyboard is neither unique to this phone nor enough to carry it through its long list of flaws:

poor touch screen

hard to dial

Easily scratched

locking the screen is worthless

Countless software issues

phone shuts off when sending txts

A pain in the butt to hang up the phone (yeah....)

But enough with the negatives,  What about the positives you ask.   QWERTY Keyboard like mentioned before is great,  can play MP3s even tho that software is a joke, Verizon has the second best coverage in America, and...well thats all i can think of.   Can't wait till my contract is up.   Here i come iPhone!!

Samsung Glyde...friend or foe?

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

I recently purchased the samsung glyde with my new verizon wireless cell phone plan. I was first drawn into this product by its (at the time) new "touch screen" technology in addition to the full QWERTY keypad.

At first I was attracted to this phone for its many smart-phone-like attributes. For starters, this phone comes GPS enabled as well as internet (full internet i migiht add) and mobile email computability. While these may sound great, verizon requires a data plan to fully utlize these functions, which at the time I was not willing to do.

The ascetics of the phone are good for a phone of its size. The Glyde fits in the palm of your hand and is no more than 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. This small, easy to store phone was great in the past but now with touch screen technology, a small phone like this left me pressing the wrong buttons at the wrong times. A bit glitchy at times, this phone overall is decent. Though i would recommend, if you are buying this phone for its smart phone, or touch screen capability's...There are simply better options on the market, especially for an adult, this phone is and should be marketed towards teenagers,

The Samson Glyde is a great phone with fantastic service!

from Flower Mound, TX

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

I absolutely love my Samsung Glyde. I had the original version, which wasn't the greatest. I had major issues with the touch screen, and many aspects of the phone were not working properly. However, I got it replaced with the brand new version, and I have not had a single problem since! The touch screen used to be only heat sensitive, but the newer version can now be used with a stylus! The QWERTY keyboard as well as predictive WORD on the touch screen makes for easy texting. The phone also includes a great speaker phone that can be used when the phone is slid open or when it is closed. It provides great clarity from both sides of the conversation.

A good friend of my was recently looking to purchase a new phone from Verizon but had no idea what good products are out there. She had always heard me talking about how much I love my phone, so she decided to get herself a Samsung Glyde too!

I would recommend this phone for anyone. It won't let you down!

Love it- Wish it had come with more sound options.

from Wolfeboro, NH

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

The Samsung Glyde is gliding it's way right out of my heart!

from Chesterland, OH

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

The Samsung Glyde is a touch screen glyding phone for Verizon Wireless. This was actually the first Verizon Wireless phone I ever owned, and was very dissapointed in it. I had gone through about 13 of this phone before Verizon finally gave me a free upgrtade. Some of the issues I had: The Touch screen was VERY unresponsive, the phone fell apart, the keys stuck, random shut downs, sound not working, constant vibrate, home button not working, ect. Although the phone was pretty bad overall, there were a few pluses to it. The phone had a candy shop look to it. It was small, sleek, and shiney! The phone was overall very attractive as far as looks go. The size was also a pro. It was small enough to just carry in your pocket. The slide out keyboard was also very good. It some getting used to, however once used to it the keyboard was fairly comfortable to use, and made texting a breeze. Overall I really can't recommend this phone as I've had multiple problems, and was overall cheap!

Samsung Glyde is meh. Just get an iPhone.

from Tooele, UT

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

This phone is okay, but my husband got an iPhone and it is 100% cooler, easier to use, more entertaining, etc. He said it wasn't too much more. Just get an iPhone.

I like the keyboard. I can imagine that if you have big fingers it would be too small to use, but for my small fingers it works just great.

The lock feature doesn't always work and I find that if I put it in my purse too soon after using it that other stuff touching it somethimes does weird things: creating alarms I don't want, taking tons of pictures, etc.

But overall, the most aggrevating thing about this phone is that it has icons randomly show up on your homescreen that JUST WON'T LEAVE. Seriously. I've had this "events" icon come and go randomly several times since I got it and no searching online can tell me how in the world to get rid of it for good. Recently, an alarms icon showed up for no reason and won't go away. It drives me crazy.

The Glyde started off strong and faltered.

from Hagerstown, MD

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

I got this phone a couple of years ago. Samsung had come out with a new slide phone and I got the Glyde for cheap as it was going off the market of new phones.

The Glyde is relatively small and has a touch screen main and slides open for a full keyboard.

The problem is the touch screen. While I'm at least grateful it works well with a stylus or any small object, the screen has gotten TERRIBLE. It's off and you have to touch it slightly away from the point you actually want to touch for it to recognize the option you are aiming for. It didn't start this way, but over the last 6 months or so it's become this way. Although thankfully most functions can be accessed using the keyboard!

The phone itself isn't bad. Clear calls for the most part, easy to use. It doesn't do anything special, and I would def suggest a newer smart phone for any real functionality. This phone will access the internet, but it's slow and isn't worth the effort.

Glyde is cool enough

from Magnolia, TX

Comments about Samsung - Glyde Cell Phone:

On a scale from 1-10, I give the Samsung Glyde a 7. It's stylish, easy to use, and gets the job done. On the downside, the battery life is a joke, the screen can be a joke (especially if you want to 'click' on anything around the edge of the screen), and the screen scratches far too easily. Would I get this phone again? Yes, but only if I couldn't get an iPhone.

For someone on the go, this phone is okay. Not a must-have, but it's dependable for the most part. The only major issues I had with this phone is that the first one I purchased, the screen did not respond at all. I had to return the phone after only two days of use, and Verizon exchanged the phone at no cost. After two years of use, the screen is becoming an issue once again, but it's also time for a new phone. They expect you to upgrade after two years after all, don't they? Phone's only seem to be built to last for your two year contract these days anyways.