View more cell phones

Samsung - Flight Cell Phone

Samsung - Flight Cell Phone

3.5

Decent cell phoneIyt

For the most part we have been pleased with this cell phone. Over all the feel of it does come across as kind of chintzy because the back cover feels to be very cheap plastic. However, the desire for lighter phones may atrribute to the materials used. The touchscreen is very nice. It isn't too sensitive. I have had a few incidences of pocket dialing but that is fairly normal when it comes to cell phones. The interface is easy to learn and to use. It has a portrait slide out keyboard. The keys are small, which doesn't really bother me but does bother my husband who has bigger hands and fingers. The shortcuts on the screen are helpful and I love having a favorites shortcut for my six most called/texted numbers. The phone itself does seem to very durable. While I don't recommend dropping it, I do admit that I have done it several times and it has held up very well. The camera doese a good enough job in a pinch. It is a nice enough phone for a quick texting phone. We have been very pleased with it and the performance of it in the six months we have owned it.

Not overly impressed by the Flight phone

Not so happy with this Samsung Flight phone from AT&T. I got it because it was Free with 2 year contract and I have had numerous issues with the service/phone ever since. I am not sure if it is the phone or the provider at this point...

What I like-I love the qwerty keyboard and the touch screen (although it doens't always work right for me). I like the size-big enough to hold, small enough to fit easily in my purse or pocket. I like the color (red) :)  and I like being able to access the internet and mobile web from my phone.

What I don't like- I don't like that the recharge port is at the top of the phone. I like to charge in the car, sometimes while I'm talking on it, and that doesn't work very well with the charger cord hanging in the way. I don't like that I can't seem to get signal/network coverage where I could with my old phone. Can't tell if it's AT&T or the phone. The 3G thing seems overrated, personally. I don't like that I can't get the touchscreen to put on speaker phone when I want, and when it does do it, I can't seem to turn it off. I also don't like that the mobile web is useless because I can't see the whole screen or figure out how to navigate when I can only see a list of things on the website.

I guess you can tell-not my favorite phone. I tried to return, but AT&T told me it was the network, not the phone and it wouldn't be any better if I had a new one.

disappointing

from Wellman, IA

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

I received this samsung flight as a replacement phone due to my other phone being damaged. I have not been impressed with the flight at all. The menus are not set up logically in my opinion. It is hard to navigate. The phone doesn't function well. In places I had service with my previous phone I don't with the flight. Overall it is just a pain and I cannot wait to renew my contract and get a new phone.

Also, it will randomly not charge. AT&T told me it was common for this phone and I would have to shut it down, remove the battery, and then replace it before charging to ensure it charges correct. What a pain!!!

I do like having a qwerty key pad, but the buttons are so small. On my previous phone (an LG) the phone slid open to the side and the key pad was much easier to use.

Not a fan of the Samsung Flight

from Hereford, TX

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

I dropped my old cell phone and it was taped together, so my mom surprised me with a new phone for a Holiday present. I was very excited when I saw that it was a Samsung Flight. I had always wanted a touch screen slide down phone. The color was beautiful as well, it was the red shade. Anyway, after the "prettiness" of the phone wore off I soon noticed that the phone was really not a great phone at all. The touch screen you have to force the number in. It is like the screen is not sensitive enough or something. The locking feature does not keep the phone locked at all times. I mute the phone nearly everytime I talk on it, because the mute button is right where you put your ear, with the touch screen it always always goes off.... not impressed!

Can't go wrong with Samsung

from La Crescenta, CA

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

Had quite a few Samsung phones so decided to get another one. However when I got the phone it was sluggish, I had problem sending picture and video messages, logging onto instant messaging, and battery would drain real quickly, so I decided to call the AT&T technical service department. Turns out it was just a bad phone that I got. Now it's quick, have no problem sending picture and video messages. Logs onto IM real fast. Some of the other things that I like is it take pretty decent pictures and video (for a cell phone) able to put in micro SD card (I use 8gb to have room for all the pictures and video I take on top of 5gb of my mp3's) it's ability to set alarm by each day of the week. It's got touch screen. and now battery seems to last 2-3 days.

Some of the dislikes: can't put any "apps" or shortcut on the front page, birthdays on the phone book does not transfer onto the calendar, too little input on the calendar reminder (not enough characters to put addresses or full description of the events), and small blackberry like keyboard (i have big fingers). I should have tried Pantech where the keyboard slides out on the side so you get a full keyboard with numbers on top. and you have to take out the back panel to access the micro SD where as the LG I had previously you can take it out easily and use a micro SD to USB connector to store datas on there

but it's a Samsung. It's very sturdy, rarely anything goes wrong.

Samsung Flight disappoints.

from Vernon Hills, IL

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

I wish there were more good things I could say about this phone, but unfortunately my experiences during the year I owned it were not all that great. The Samsung Flight itself is a fairly unattractive phone, sporting a shape and design that look like it's trying to capture the Blackberry crowd. Sadly it just ends up being fairly awkward to handle. The verticle slide, which great in theory, only leads to a hardware keyboard that is awkward to use and ends up forcing the design of the phone to be much thicker than it needs to be. The software on the phone was often buggy and progressively got worse and worse until I decided to get rid of the phone after only 1 year. I would not recommend this phone even as a free option, there are much better and more basic phones that can do everything with no hassle.

Flight or Crash and Burn?

from Oceanside, CA

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

- Compared to the overwhelming nature of the "Smart Phone" Market place, an olde fashioned texting phone doesn't quite stack up.

- It had a sturdy feel to it.

- The touch screen was a nice feature, but after several weeks of use, especially with a screen protector the screen sensitivity was significantly less precise.

- The buttons were small on the key board, but I managed to make them work for me, but it wasn't ideal.

- The processor speed was unimpressive, just to open a text message took upwards for seven seconds.

- And seeing as how it was not a "Smarty Phone" it's browser is not only slow, it was very limited in it's view of the internet.

- But being a modern era phone, the home and car chargers were compatable with my new Motorola Driod.

- My work is notorious for having horrible cell phone reception, and this phone was no exception.

- The phone was a big and bulky brick that did it's job well, but in the current market it simply just doesn't stack up.

Nice little phone

from East Liverpool, OH

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

This is my first experience with a touch screen phone and I really like it. It is easy to use and has some great features. I do a lot of texting, so a slide out keyboard was important to me when buying a new phone, and this one is really nice. I like the feel of the phone too, it isn't so light that you feel like you're holding nothing! There are 2 cons to this phone, one is that if you are wearing earrings they have a tendancy to hit the touch screen and hang up the phone, so I've learned to take them off or use my blue tooth. The other big con is that it holds very few inbox text messages. I find I have to start deleting after 20-30 messages. If I don't the phone makes a funny little noise instead of putting my text through. I also dont like the way the text history is set up, it is more like email with an inbox and outbox instead of presenting it in a conversation like many phones do. All in all it is a great little phone, and if you can get used to a few little quirks its worth it!

Decent cell phoneIyt

from Clio, MI

Samsung Flight is great!

from Iowa Park, TX

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

I was fortunate to have my last phone under warranty which was an LG which broke and it got replaced with the Samsung Flight. I didn't get to choose which phone would replace my last one and I was pleasantly surprised. I like that it has the full keyboard which helps with texting and the slide phone is pretty cool too. The backgrounds are cool & I like the jazz ringtones. I don't have all the fancy stuff on the phone so I mainly use it for talking & texting and it does great for both.  The battery seems to last quite awhile as I don't have to charge it very often. I like that it's a touch screen and it hasn't accidentally dialed someone so that's also a great plus!  I have only had good luck with Samsung cellular phones and so far this one has been great, unlike two of my LG phones which both broke on me during the two years that I had them. I would recommend this phone to someone who is considering it.

A Good Smart Phone Alternative

from Enola, PA

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

I chose this phone for two main reasons. The first was that it was offered free with a two-year contract. The second was that it was not considered a smart phone, so there was no expensive data plan that needed to be purchased with it.

If you're looking for a phone that mirrors the quality of the iPhone or the top smart phones, this is NOT the phone for you. However, it is capable of a lot more than simple calling and texting. The keyboard is very convenient for not only texting but also Web browsing. With a good signal and a data plan, browsing the Web is very possible. I wouldn't recommend using the included, default browser. I'd recommend downloading a free browser application like Opera Mini instead. I'd recommend the same for the email and instant messaging; downloadable applications really enhance this phone.

The camera is decent --- most of the pictures turn out okay, but I've had a few taken outside that turned out surprisingly well. With an additional storage card, you can view most image formats, play music, and play video if you take the time to convert it to the correct format. There are some annoyances like not being able to change the Lock images (which is not completely uncommon among this type of phone) and just the general slowness from time-to-time that should be associated with a phone that is not meant as a top model.

Overall, it's a good phone --- not a great one.

Samsung Flight, good touch screen phone but with a keyboard too!

from Watertown, NY

Comments about Samsung - Flight Cell Phone:

The Samsung Flight isn't the most advanced phone, and isn't quite a smartphone. But you'll find more than enough options in the built-in abilities as well as the apps you can use.

The phone is pretty stylish and nice-looking, and looks fairly expensive, though fairly like many other phones similar to it. You can get it in a few different colors, which is nice, with the case being smooth and rounded.

It fits quite a number of smartphone holsters and protectors if you need one, and there is a plasticy protector that a few companies carry for it that snaps on and goes around everything but the touchscreen/buttons and camera lens.

It's light without being TOO light or cheap-feeling, and feels good in your hand – neither too big nor too small. I can use the touchscreen single-handed but I would guess that this depends on the size of your hands.

The back comes off to access the battery, SIM, and to add a micro memory card, giving you lots more storage.

The touchscreen works fine, and you can calibrate it if needed. Three buttons on the front, and some side buttons round out the controls as well as the slide-out keyboard. The keyboard is small, but what do you expect unless you get a larger phone or one with a keyboard that slides out on the side, which is awkward.

The keyboard keys have a nice solid feel to them, and after a little practice it's easy to access any letter, number, or character that you need.

Without the keyboard slid out the touchscreen works fine for key entry, like most any other phone.

The camera is okay, not great and not the worse, and there are some nice onboard options for editing and an auto-panorama mode that is really nice. You can also geo-mark the pics if you want to.

Sound quality is fine, both on the speaker-phone and right up to your ear. And you have some redial options, a good log of calls, and such. I wish that it beeped for missed calls as well as for waiting voicemail.

I've been out in some sketchy rural and wooded areas and it seems to have real good reception, as good as any phone without an external antenna.

The address/telephone book is good but could be a bit better, and it's always confusing selecting between saving your entries on the card or the phone. You can assign different ringtones to caller id entries as well as photos.

Selecting and putting your own ringtones on is easy for the most part, using the Bluetooth function, as well as transferring music, pictures, video, etc. I haven't tried transferring via cable.

Charging is fast, but we've have some trouble with the battery going bad. We have two phones and this seemed to happen on one more than the other – the phone where Bluetooth is used the most and runs the battery down the fastest.

You can also use GPS with this phone, and there are a number of apps, e-mail and messaging, media and video options as well as some nice features built-in like the memopad, voice recorder, sketchpad, currency converter, world time, and many other things along the lines of those who also need a simple organizer on their phone.

Overall, it's a good little phone. There're some improvements that could be made, and a few awkward but usable features. But overall worth a look.