Other Cell Phones:
Android Smartphones
Samsung
SGH-A867

Samsung Eternity

Just as good as an iPhone!

WOW. This phone is really awesome! I've had it for a little over three months now and I'm still very pleased.Let me first say that I've been a cell phone user for over 10 years. And out of those ten years, only 2 of my phones have not been a Nokia. I like the simplicity of their menu and I couldn't find that with other phones.

I came across this phone on the At&t website. It didn't have any reviews. So then I checked it out on other various reviewing websites. Looked good so far. Then I went to an At&t store and had them bring one out for me to fiddle with. At the time I got it, they didn't even have a model on the floor yet, it was that new!

down to the good stuff, the pros of the Samsung A867 or The Eternity:

-VERY large screen

-very easy to use menu (you can figure most of it out without using the user guide cd that comes with it)

-comes with a lot of storage. I haven't even bought a memory card for this phone yet. I've been able to store about 200 photos on it just with its internal memory

-photo apps. you can edit and mess with your photos in a million different ways! different filters, effects, frames and so forth. very fun!

-battery. i usually end up charging my battery every three days or so. and i text like a fiend, play monopoly (2-3 hours a day sometimes) and check my email constantly on this phone

-alarms. you can put an unlimited number of different alarms on the Samsung Eternity and customized the days they go off. i have a mon-fri work alarm and two other alarms for other things in my life, each with its own ring-tone

-sound. the speakerphone is a good volume. the call volume gets really loud. i rarely have it at full volume. the ring-tones are also really loud! i make and customize my own ring-tones, and i always have to lower the volume on them.

-camera. the camera doesn't have a flash but that's the only thing that doesn't make it perfect. the camera has so many customizable options. you can do a single photo, nine shots in a row, panoramic, mosaic, frame. you can pick night scenes, action shots, smile shots. and soooo much more! there are just so many options!

-texting. you can hold the phone vertical and get the keyboard texting with either multi tap or T9. or you can hold the phone horizontally and get a full qwerty keyboard. and because the screen is so large, the letters are a good size.

now on to the cons, and there really isn't much:

-no place for a stylus. the Samsung Eternity doesn't come with a stylus and the touchscreen aspect is really so good, you can get by just fine without one, but sometimes its easier to use a stylus, and there's no place to store one. i usually end up just using the tip of a pen that's handy (i have a 3M type screen protector over my screen, so i feel comfortable doing this)

-Internet. its really east to get to the Internet and navigate, buts if the page is really wide, its hard to move the screen around the see the whole page. you're suppose to hold and drag the page to move the view around, but i often end up hitting links and opening other pages instead.

-apps. the Eternity comes with ***a lot*** of demo applications. thats cools and all. but you can't delete them from the phone if you decide you don't want them. so now i have to scroll through fifteen junk apps that i don't use to get to the one i want. again, not a BIG deal, but just a little bit of a pain in the butt.

and that's really about it. not too many cons, right. i think the touchscreen went crazy on me once or twice. i just hit the end button till I got to the start screen and that was enough to fix the problem. Not a big deal. All in all, I really love this phone and I'm glad I got it! On a side note, a friend of mine has the T-Moblie version of the Eternity (I think its called the Behold, but don't quote me on that) and she says her battery life is crappy.

I thought i would like the Eternity more than what i actually do

When i started looking at new phones, I noticed the Samsung Eternity phone right off the bat.  I remember seeing the commercials about this paticuliar phone and I just thought that it was the best thing under the sky.  I liked the feature on the touch screen that alows you to turn the phone sideways and then the keyboard will appear in order to send a text message.  I do not like the fact that the ohine has  a full touch screen on the front of the phone and which i thought was cool but come to find out its not that great. The touch screen does not come with any sort of protection for the screen and in a short 3 nobths the screen had become dull and very scratched to the point that it makes it very hard to see.  There is one other issue that this phone has that i am not happy about.  In the settings you can touch the "Software Update" icon to have your phone get any new avaolable updates if needed but once again, when i tap for the updtates...i get nothing!  I guess att found a slight problem and this phone is the only one to have this glitch and its not repairable.  Be care ful what you get in a cell phone these days.

Eternity

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I used this phone a couple of years ago when my phone crapped out on me. My friend loaned it to me and I never gave it back! I ended up really liking this phone. It went through three plus users and still worked like it was brand new! It got beat up pretty badly when I had it, but the only damage I ever saw was strictly cosmetic. There was no difference in the way in ran. It was pretty advanced for its time and one of those almost smartphones. I ended up liking this better than my iPhone at the time. The only thing that some people may not like about it was the touch screen was not really touch screen. If you wanted to click on something, you had to use your nail in order to get a precise reading. If you just tapped with your entire thumb, who knows what you would end up with. I ended up liking the fact I could use my fingernail because I could use a stylus also and it made it difficult switching to my new phone when I could only use finger tip. It was a good little phone, I wish they would update it and manufacture it again.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

This is a great phone, takes great pics easy to use.

from Galt, CA

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

Also has a lot of functions, like photo editing, apps and fun games.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for something similar to a IPhone with out having to sign up for two years with a data plan!

One of the Best I've owned.

from Palm Coast, FL

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I have had this phone for over 2 years. Never had any problems, and I am not a light user. Lots of texting and phone usage. Great screen, good software. Never any issues. It is now time for a new phone, but will be upgrading to a Smart Phone. Will probably stick with Samsung. I am very impressed with the brand.

I love the Samsung Eternity so far!

from Austin, TX

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I've had the samsung eternity for about 2 months now and I love it. The screen is nice and large. The keyboard is mostly easy to use(although I still have problems with hitting the s instead of the a), the internet is nice and fast, video shows up well, and it has a good amount of expandable memory.

I do wish the phone had the two flashes. A flash for the camera and a flash player for browswing but I'm not going to dock it points for that.

I will however dock some points for a few glitches that I get. It seems like If I have this combination of things going on; A missed call that I haven't deleted, phone is hooked up to a battery charger, and an application running, the phone sometimes just randomly turns off. it's odd and a little annoying but that's the only glitch I've really encountered.

Otherwise so far it's a great phone!

the truth about the samsung eternity

from Way down south, LA

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I've been having my Samsung Eternity for about 4 months now. I have been loving it ever since I first bought it. Of course, when I was shopping for a new phone I checked out the reviews on several phones. I looked into the LG VU and the LG Xenon in addition to several others. After reading into all the reviews I could find, the Eternity had nothing but good reviews. Please be aware this is *not *a smartphone it falls just short of one.

I am so glad I picked this phone. First off it's a very sexy phone! The front looks like a cell phone but the back looks like a camera.It's front is shiny black and the back is more of a matte black. A shiny metal trim goes around the phone. The front has a 3.2 inch touch screen the only buttons are end, back and call. The top of the phone is where you will find the screen lock. On the left are the volume/up and down buttons and the place for the charger or headphone jack. On the right side you will find another type of headphone jack,the camera shutter, and a key for a shortcut. I honestly never use they shortcut menu there's no need to.

When you first look at the screen the first thing you notice is the widget. This useful little tool gets you pretty much anywhere you need to go. You can hide it when not using it.  You can also edit it to a certain degree. Here are the things you can add on there event reminders, sound profile, set wallpaper or just go through photos, calender, world clock, analog clock, alarms, music player, calculator, digital clock, tv, birthdays,or bluetooth. Like I said it pretty much gets you to where you need to go. At the bottom of the screen there are the dial, contacts, and menu touch keys. I'm pretty sure you know what these buttons do so no need to explain there!

Ok on to applications. You have lots of them. With AT&T music you can shop music, use music id, xm radio, music videos, pandora, and community. There is Mobile TV, Cingular Video, GPS navigation, Media Mall, Media Net,Yellow Pages, WikiMobile, My cast weather and mobile banking. In addition to all of that you get a pair of dice that you can roll. Just shake the phone and the dice tumble around. I personally don't use any of these including the web browser. So I can not offer any information on those things. I do know that the phone does not have wifi. When listening to the music player you have the option of having it on in the background. This allows you to listen to music while texting or playing games among other things.

Of course the phone has what every other phone has address book, tools, settings, etc, etc. You can set individual/group ringtones for messages or calls. I've noticed a lot of phones don't offer that setting for messages. You can chose from 3 different font types, greeting message, or backlight time.The wallpaper that you chose will show an animated wallpaper. The quality of the sound is great. The ringtones, music,alarms and speaker phone are loud. Sometimes reception isn't the best but it isn't that often. There are two really neat things that I like about this phone. One is the screen vibrates every time you touch it. You can adjust the intensity or turn it off. The other thing I like is the illuminating light. This is a light that's on the bottom of your phone. You can't even tell where it is unless it comes on. When you power your phone on or off, receive a call or text message it comes on. This feature can also be personalized with the colors. They offer red, orange, green, blue, or pink. You can also just turn it off.

Texting is easy on here. There is no stylus or place to put one. I find that the tip of my finger works just fine. If you have large fingers you might have a problem. The Eternity offers two types of keyboards. With only a flip of the wrist you can change from the alpha/numeric keyboard to a full QWERTY keyboard when it's on its side. A popular website claims the Eternity can not input contacts with the QWERTY keyboard but you can.  It also offers T9, emoticons, and other languages. A neat feature for texting is the handwritting function. Here you write words on the screen and then they are transformed to text.

The camera is good quality. It's a 3 mega pixel camera that shoots still images or videos with audio. It offers what most phones do with editing and shooting modes. You can add frames to pictures. There is no flash which is a drawback. You can adjust the resolution on the videos or photos to save on memory space. This probably won't be a problem with the phone because it offers a ton of storage. It offers 200MB of space. This is quite hard to fill up but if you do there is a microSD slot. The battery on the phone is great. It holds a charge for at least a few days.

Another thing I want to add is many sites have said that the Eternity does not have voice dialing this is untrue. In order to voice dial just scroll through the preprogrammed contacts and find voice dial or simply dial *08. From here you can chose to use the voice dialing along with other things like weather and sports. As fas as I know this service is free.

In conclusion the Samsung Eternity is a great phone. It's not a smartphone so if you need it for business try a different one. But, if you're just wanting a great phone with great features this is it. Stop contemplating this IS the one!

like the touch screen

from York, PA

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I like the touch screen and ability to check email on the phone. Phone does not ring loud enough and vibration is not powerful enough for me to feel.

The battery lasts me 4 to 5 days on normal use. 3 days with an excessive amount.

Do not like that when sending and receiving text messages, you can only see the message sent or received and not the complete conversation.

Just as good as the I phone, but without the cost

from Navarre, FL

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I have the eternity phone, which in my opinion is the same as the apple I phone.  I did a lot of comparing of the two, and for me, I chose the eternity.  I like the fact that I can turn the phone when I text or view the internet to get a better of what I am seeing.  When I text, I have an actual keyboard instead of 3 letters to a key.  I do have that, but when I turn the phone, I have the keyboard. I am not one who needs all of the technology offered on the I phone, so this is good for me.  I was also able to purchase the insurance offered through my carrier.  With the I phone, you have to purchase an independent carrier if you want insurance, which after pricing, was costly.

I like the camera , and the pictures are great.  With the 3.0 mega the pictures are clear and easy to transfer to any data file and send to email or another phone.  The phone also has an MP3, but I cannot comment on that, because I do not use that feature.

Touch screen just like a keyboard & great for texting.

from Miami, FL

Samsung Eternity

I love this phone.  When you turn the touch screen to the side it turns into a complete keyboard.  You don't have to search for the keys for texting they are easy to find.  It is very lightweight and easy to handle.  It has a great blue light for ease in using at night.  It looks like an i-phone, but it not as heavy and much easier to use.  I love to watch the videos and tv on the big screen it has.  The camera is very strong.

its like iphone

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I love the customer service Verizon provides!!!

from Inverness, FL

Comments about Samsung Eternity:

I have been a Verizon customer, now, for the past two years.  What drew me to this company is a good friend of mine told me hadn't had any dropped calls from Verizon.  In the past I have been with, Nextel, Sprint, and Alltell.  All three of these services I have had numerous dropped calls.  this is very frustrating since I used these services for business as well a pleasure.  Since I have signed up with Verizon I haven't had any dropped calls.  I am on the family plan which my is also a part of.  We have 1400 minutes per month and no roaming fees.  I am ecstatic because  recently Verizon has allowed me to be part of their friends and family program.  This allows me to choose up to ten phone numbers, the most used ones of course, and these minutes used for these numbers will not count towards my minutes used.  Last week I became eligible for my phone upgrade and received the Samsung Flipshot.  What an extraordinary.  This phone has many features-my previous phone didn't have.  I am particularly pleased with the super customer assistance I have had.  I have referred many people to Verizon and will continue doing so. Viva La Verizon!!!!!!!

Jeff Camasi