View more cell phones

SGH-A707
Samsung Cell Phone

Samsung Cell Phone

3.7

This Samsung cell phone is great for me.

I did not think I would ever get a new cell phone until the UT Starcom one I had starting to not work as well as it once had but luckily through nTelos I got this Samsung SGH-A707 cell phone to replace it for free. I really love free. I only use it for calls but it has a lot more than my old phone did most noticeable to me is the camera. I have tried it out but I think it like all cel phone pictures are crappy. I prefer to use my digital camera for photos. I will keep this phone for just calls. Heck I wish I did not have to have a cell phone at all but one flat tire on a highway with a spare that was also flat said I am glad I had a cell phone and after that I am never going to be without one. This one got anice longer life battery than my old one and looks nicer, well I think it does. I do not need a smartphone, if I wanted a portable computer I get one not expect my phone to be one. I need a phone just to be a good phone and this is a good phone.

The stuff I need isn't handy, and the battery is weak.

I agree with the previous review - I miss my old phone.  I was excited when I got this phone - I wanted the mp3 player, and it seemed to have a lot of great features.  However, I've had lots of problems with the phone.  I use my IM and texts a lot, and this phone seems to be very randomly picky about when and how it will connect to either of those.  The phone doesn't always ring even when I'm in a full coverage area.  The voicemail notification pops up immediately, though, so I'm in the dark about why the voicemail would ring but not, you know, the actual call.  The sound quality isn't great on the calls, nor does it block out any background noise.

Also this phone chews up battery time.  If I do anything except keep it in my pocket, it's down to the last dot by the end of my work day.  I don't spend all day on the phone, nor do I spend all day texting or IM'ing.  I get maybe 2 hours of talk time and 12-14 hours of completely idle time.  Yes, that's hours.  If I leave the phone on a table and don't touch it, the battery will drain by the next morning, latest.

The menu setup is awkward, as well, and I can't reprogram buttons to make the things I need show up in the top few menu options.  Once I get to - the calendar, the games, whatever - they are good.  I like the calendar function, I like that I can download a game or two, and I like the internet function even if ATT doesn't have any great data plans.  Honestly with a small screen like this, I just want to grab my info and go anyway, and this does that well.

What else does it do well?  The phone takes gorgeous pictures and video.

So, to sum up:  difficult menus, limited battery life, and mediocre sound quality can't be overcome with neat features and good picture quality.

Perfect if you only use it for texts/calls.

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

I could see why others think this phone is terrible, the camera quality is very poor and when you transfer the photo onto a computer it's very tiny, but being a simple person who exclusively texts and calls, this was perfect for me. It's tiny (compared to what cell phones they have out now), VERY affordable, and gets the job done. If you plan on going online with it, it's not the cellphone for you.

Performance is ok. Takes a bit to boot up, and if you plan on using the web -- don't, very slow and just not worth it.

Voice Quality
Receiving is great, however depending what kind of connection I have (1-2 bars), some of my friends have had trouble hearing me which is expected since it's a generally cheap cell phone. But overall, rarely any problems.

Battery Life
I only make a few phone calls a week that generally last an hour or two and it will last for 6-7 days without charging it. This phone's battery life is unbelievable.

I've had this since eighth grade, and I've been a high school graduate for a year now and this phone still works fine. I'm very clumsy so I've dropped this at least a hundred times, and once I even dropped it in water. When that happened, I just took out the battery and left it in a bowl of rice over night and it worked fine the next day.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Worked Fine, But Screen Defective

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

This phone is so outdated and I no longer use it, but I still have it around in case we want a second phone at some point. When I had it as my primary phone, I found it pretty confusing to get pictures loaded into the phone or to figure out how to get the pictures taken with the phone into a computer. I bought a special download port that accommodates the tiny media card that comes in this phone. It was a huge hassle and didn't always work. Then, after I hadn't had the phone that long, the seal around the screen started drooping into the display. It still works, but it wasn't pretty. The battery does not hold all that well, especially if you leave the phone sitting for a while. Also, the data plan that was available when I had this phone was tricky in that you could easily accidentally use the internet without realizing you would be charged. I have now had an iphone for a few years and wow, the difference in ease of use and technology was such a leap.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

good while it lasted

from Katy, TX

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

it worked great for a year or so then the screen res started going out and wouldn't come all the way on. It would onlu have half a screen then be upside down also the caller id went out. Time to scrap it! I never dropped it or got it wet so it should not have done this. For what I paid for it it was not worth it. I hope my next phone holds up better!

Super awesome phone!

from Cedar Rapids, IA

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

This cell phone is an awesome phone for the money. We were looking to upgrade our phones and came across these. They look similar to the Motorola Razr but they are a much better phone and cost a lot less! My husband works construction so he isn't always careful with his cell phone; it falls out of his toolbelt and things like that; and this phone has withstood everything that he has thrown at it so far. I like the camera on the phone; it is easy to get to and takes good pictures-and not just for a cellphone. The megapixels and quality of the photos from my phone are equal to a digital camera. The phone number being dialed shows in the display screen and there are many choices of number size, from small to very large so it is impossible to not be able to see what number you are inputting.I am not a techno geek or anything like that and I like simple to use gadgets that give me the illusion of being a techno geek; and this phone does just that.Simplicity; value and service-what more could you want in a cell phone?

pretty good overall but reception is sometimes not the greatest

from Sykesville, MD

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

Pretty good overall use on this phone.  I like the style and the look of the phone also.  Some items are hard to find in menu, and you have to look to find them.  The phone drops calls every once in a while when just walking around and sometimes service isn't good and cuts in and out when you are inside of a building.

Would never get this phone again

from Abilene, TX

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

Works great for everything except for calls.  Has poor signal strength and many calls never come through at all.  Takes great videos and pictures and I love playing music on it.  If all of my calls came through every time, it would be a great product.

I'm Luvin' It

from Warren, OH

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

This phone isn't top of the line, but it definitely gets the job done.  It has a great battery life, camera, and gets a decent signal.  I'm on the phone most of the day so I needed a really good phone without breaking my budget (it was a free phone from Cingular).  I recommend it often to people if they are experiencing trouble with their phones.

Not as good as a Nokia

from Lake Placid, FL

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

When i first got my phone I absolutly loved it. I loved that way it looked and still do. I did not have a problem with the signal or anything. But I had just switched from Nextel which has next to no signal. Then I wanted to try my boyfriends bar phone which is a Nokia. Well in comparision the Nokia is a far better phone I never have any dropped calls like I do with the Samsung. Now the only time I use my Samsung is if I need to use my bluetooth while driving on a long trip. So if you want good signal don't buy this phone.

Sharp looking phone with great features.

from Evansville, IN

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

I love the features on this phone. It holds so many songs and I love music. The buttons are big and easy to use. The picture quality is wonderful I enjoy taking pictures. There is more memory then any other phone have had. My biggest complaint is the dropped calls and no service for no reason. I have always been a Nokia person but I must admitt this phone is high quality

Perfect size, lots of features, over all a good phone

from Monroe, GA

Comments about Samsung Cell Phone:

It took me a few weeks to get use to the phone. I had always had a Motorola in the past so using this phone was completely different. I don't like that fact that you can't change certain settings. I can't change the ringtone I have when I receive text messages or Voicemails. And if you can change these settings then it is incredibly hard to find where to do that at. It will often drop calls on me then loose a signal for a few minutes. It doesn't alert you loud enough or soon enough that you have a low battery. I do like how well I can hear people on it and the buttons are easy to use. It is a little harder to open compared to other flip phones. I don't like that you can not close the phone while using the speaker phone. I do like how thin it is and the fact that I can slip it in my pocket.