Other Cell Phones:

Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

Easy to handle, durable, useful

As many of us do, we live by our phones and other gadgets.

As many of us do, we live by our phones and other gadgets.

With this Samsung phone, I love that the keyboard can be opened two ways for texting or calling -- sideways and front-ways.

With the press of a button, the sideways keyboard immediately switches between numbers and the QWERTY keyboard, making texting or calling so much easier than with other styles of phone.

Although it came with several ring tones, including "no ring" (which comes in handy for contacts you don't want to speak with), it is very easy to upload your own ringtones from your home computer -- no cost!

I can use my Samsung phone as an alarm clock, a reminder of events on my calendar, and if we choose to add the option, we can access the Internet.

It is also able to hold mp3s, and the memory is big, such that you can unload photos onto the computer at full resolution.

There are so many more options available through this phone, that I really need to explore it more.

It is also simple enough for a non-techie person to use!

The Samsung Alias 2 is overall,everything it says it is.

I bought the Samsung Alias 2 in December of 2009. I send up to 20,000 text messages a month, so I thought that the QWERTY keyboard along with the standard numbers would come in handy for me. I have had a variety of phones over the past two years. I'm very hard on phones and they get quite a bit of use, however, this phone has been extremely durable. It fell out of my hoodie pocket last week and i ran over it with a scooter and nothing happened. Durability is defiantly a big plus with this device.

A brief overview of the phone: It had "E-Ink Technology" which means that the keys change depending on what you are doing on the phone. You use the same keys to text, dial, and navigate through the phone, they just change depending on what you are doing. It also has a dual hinge so that you can have the QWERTY keyboard as well as the standard dial pad if you flip it the other way. The Alias 2 comes Bluetooth ready and is equipped with V CAST music with Rhapsody®.

I transferred from an LG ENv3 to this phone and when I did, I simply took the memory card out and put it into my Alias. I expected all of my pictures and media, such as sounds, to show up, however hardly any of them did. When going from an LG to a Samsung, you have to rip your memory card (or so I was told when I took this problem to Verizon). So, you have to go through the long process of putting all of your  pictures and media onto your computer, and then deleteing everything off the card, and reloading it. It's a painstaking process just because you are switiching from an LG to a Samsung.

There are only two major downfalls when it comes to the actual device: phone battery and speed of the phone. With my previous LG phones, I could go 2-3 days without charging my phone. With my Alias 2, I have to charge it everynight, if not sometime through the day. I keep a charger with me for the event of it dieing. Sometimes, it will last 12-13 hours going nonstop; other times, it will only last maybe 5. Like I said, I am a heavy texter and my phone receives a lot of activity, however I never had this problem with my LG's who received just as much activity as this phone.

Another downfall is the speed of this phone. If you have multiple pictures, your inbox gets full, or you have too many contacts, this phone will opperate SLOWLY. The memory of the phone, even with a memory card is unbelievablely low. It will take up to 3-4 mintues for my inbox to be cleared. I have started putting it on auto-erase so that way I won't have to worry about it.

The dimensions of this phone are 4.01" (H) x 2.04" (W) x 0.67" (D) which makes it about the size of a box of cards. It is rather thick, but this is because of the two way flip design. It has a 2.0 mega-pixel camera which doesn't take the best pictures. It does not have a flash which makes it hard to take pictures in darker areas.

If you are wanting great texting, this would be the phone you need. It has the QWERTY keypad that makes texting a breeze. This phone is simple enough to where even those who aren't great with technology, can easily use it. It's simple to use, yet has great features. Overall, I would recommend it.

Cool Phone

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

This was a very cool phone and worked really well. Was one of my favorites before the smart phone boom.

It did everything it claimed it would. I was scared to purchase at first though because I thought of all the things that could go wrong with a light up and changing keyboard like that. All and all I was very satisfied with the performance.

Voice Quality
Worked great as just a telephone. No complaints in that department. Sometimes things would cut in and out but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with my service than the phone.

Battery Life
This phone had an okay battery life. Nothing too great, but it wasn't horrible.

This was a pretty durable phone. My brother took it from me when I got my iphone 2 years ago and he just stopped using it because it was running a little slow. Lasted at least 5 years and my family is very rough on phones.

Very easy to use if you understand that it opens two ways and that the keyboard flips. My father tried to use it for a couple months and got really frustrated with how it opens both way. He felt like he was breaking it.

Very high tech design for the time. Definitely a good buy.

good for texting

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

i love this phone and the 2 keyboard options. it's really good for people who love to text, the qwerty keyboard is good for if you're in a hurry and need to text quick.

Battery Life
Really good battery life, i can usually use it pretty heavily for 2 days before having to charge it.

• Battery Life:

Unless you like having problems with your phone, don't buy this.

Profile Image

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

I absolutely hated this phone. It was the first sem-"cool" phone I got when I was a freshman in high school, and it was great for the first couple of weeks. After that, I began to realize how many problems it had and how many things I actually hated about it. For one, the phone doesn't type as fast as most people's fingers can, so it ends up only getting half of a word instead of the full one I typed out. The flip screen is also a pretty good design, but it takes too much time for the screen to flip around. Sometimes it's black for close to five minutes before the screen shows up when you flip it. Overall, it was a cool phone, but there are now much better ones on the market, and I would rather spend more money to get one that doesn't annoy me so much.

Voice Quality
It does have good voice quality, but that's the only thing I"m giving it. The speaker phone, especially, is pretty good for a non-smart phone.

Battery Life
The battery lasts an average amount of time, but as the phone grows older and you wear it out more, it starts to go much quicker and you have to charge it at least twice a day.

• Battery Life:

Simple and easy to use for at work and for personal usage.

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

The qwerty keyboard is for easy texting and the shape of the phone is unique in its own design. Internet is fast but not super fast. The price is not too high for the options the cell possess. It would be good to use as a back-up cell in case something happens to your current one and you have to wait because of contracts.

original Alias

from Jetersville, VA

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

Great phone! I have used this phone since March 2008! I love this phone and only wish I had gotten the memory card when I purchased the phone. I have used this as my only phone since March 2008 and do not wish to get another phone as I have not found a phone that I like as much.

Overall good basic phone

from Mesa, AZ

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for a year and a half.  I was drawn to this phone because if you open it one way it has a full keyboard for texting and if you open it the other way it opens like a flip phone.  It is the first phone I have had a full keyboard on and I love that!  I text a lot more now that it is so much faster.  The biggest complaint I have with this phone is the battery.  My husband I have the same phone and both of us have had problems with it.  Sometimes it just randomly shuts off and I believe its because of the battery connection.  Nothing is more irritating than expecting a phone call only to find that your phone has shut off.  This has happened to me a couple of times.  My friend told me to take out the battery and use a pencil eraser on the place where the battery connects with the phone and that worked really well.  I haven't had the problem nearly as often.  Overall, I have been happy with this phone.  I'm sure someday I wil upgrade to better phone but for now this phone is fine.

• Battery Life:

Creative and sturdy phone!

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

One of my favorite phones by Verizon. Not a smartphone, but great feature phone. I love how the buttons can change from letters to numbers to punctuation with a simple press of the keyboard layout change button on the bottom left!

Definitely a texter's dream. The keyboard is great when it's flipped landscape style. They are quite small when you open it up as a regular phone the long way though. The number buttons will be hard to press if you have large hands/fingers.

I do like the small things it comes with such as a notepad, mp3 playback capability, camera (2 megapixel), texting, email, VZ Navigator and you can stick a microSD card in there for extra memory. It's a pretty sturdy phone but also light.

Try to google some pictures and you can see how the keyboard looks in both portrait and landscape mode. The buttons change and there are different shortcuts such as alarm, vibrate/ring mode, camera, or speakerphone.

The phone is smart enough to go into speakerphone mode when opened up in landscape mode so you don't have to push a button. You can pick up and make a call in landscape mode. It comes with a usb charger and ac adapter so you can take charge it in an outlet or PC whichever is most convenient for you!

It also records video!

This Samsung Alias 2 is great!

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

This phone is very user friendly. The keyboard changes from numbers to letters with a quick push of a button. I have had this phone for a long time and it works great. You can change from landscape view to portrait very easily. Texting is a breeze. No more pushing number keys for the corresponding letter.

the alias is 2 amazing!

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

The Alias 2 was the third phone I've owned in my lifetime, and it's incredible! I've wanted a texting phone for a long time, and let me tell you now, this phone is perfect for exactly that! This phone is incredible innovative because of the way it flips: it flips in two ways: vertical and horizontal. I'll break the two flips intwo segments.

Vertical:

This makes the Alias 2 seem just like any other cell phone these days, flipping vertically. When you first open it, you'll notice the beautiful and glossy pearl keys. Now these feel great, but remember they're a bit stiff and bit irritating to text with.

Horizontal:

This is when the magic kicks in. You'll notice the keys will change to fit the horizontal layout unlike it's predecessor. The keys are like magic, with e-ink techonlogy. The keys magically change to a full qwerty keyboard, and then when you're done it'll switch back to the number layout. Easy as cake!

GREAT BATTERY LIFE!

This phone is incredible!

from Carol Stream, IL

Comments about Samsung Alias 2 Cell Phone:

I love this cell phone! you can use it for texring or easily calling people! It is awesome! I am a teenager who constantly drops everything! I have dropped this phone almost atleast once a day and it still has had no problems! sometimes the keyboard gets frozen and you have to re open it but it still works great because you don't lose anymessages doing that! I LOVE IT!