Other Flat Screen TVs:

Samsung 40 in. LCD TV

Pros

Cons

amazing picture quality

After a lot of research and competition between the SONY and SAMSUNG I had to opt with samsung becoz of the CNET reviews and comparitively less price f rom SAMSUNG than SONY. The picture on the samsung c630 looks very good right out of the box. Watching Avatar on Blu-Ray is simply amazing. Watching standard DVDs through an upconverting 1080p DVD player also look very good. You can see some graininess if you're within 3 feet or so of the TV but any further than that and the picture looks crisp and clear . Blu-Rays just look phenomenal, no other words to describe it really. This TV has plenty of video adjustments to tinker with make the picture suit your taste. I actually turned the contrast and backlighting down a hair on my set because it was a bit too good. The TV will also save your picture settings for each input device.One of the main reasons I went with the c630 model was for the 120hz capability. I wasn't really sure how much better the picture quality was with the 120hz over the older 60hz models so I decided I'd be better off safe than sorry. I can say now that the 120hz feature on the newer model LCDs seems more of a gimmick than anything. Within the first few hours of watching my new tv I turned off the 120hz and set it back to 60. This can be done by changing the Auto Motion Plus setting in video options(settings are standard, smooth, clear, custom and off). The 120hz feature does indeed give the picture a clearer almost 3D like appearance, however the soap opera effect caused by it unfortunately makes watching movies very distracting. You feel more like you're watching a live stage show than a film. It's good for watching sports and some other live broadcasts and events but bad for pretty much everything else. Another comment i have about this tv is with the viewing angles. While the picture remains clear even at the widest angles, the colors get a little washed out when viewing from the sides...although not to a huge degree. Overall the picture looks great from all angles but you will probably notice a slight difference in color saturation depending where you're viewing from. Color Reproduction overall on this tv is very good. Colors are accurate, whites look white, blacks look black. If I had to pick a weakpoint however it would be with the grayscale. Some grays may appear fuzzy or grainy if you look very closely. This should be unnoticeable however from normal viewing distance.

samsung has great picture quality but sound not so great

I had hemmed and hawed over replacing a perfectly fine working Television Set just because it was considered out of date and no longer able to receive over the air transmiossion without a converter. I bought a converter and did not like the results so I finally broke down and began the search for a new High Definition flat screen Television set. After looking at reading up on many different makes and manufacturers I decided that the Samsung was the best buy for the amount of money spent. A 40 inch flat screen seemed a suitable update from my old 27 inch television set so I steered clear of the larger sizes. I have been exptremely pleased with the qulity of the picture. The colors are sharp and clear and there is no distortion at all. I do not get as many channels as I thought I would get with the new TV so that was kind of disappointing. I needed to get an indoor antenna to help with that. I also was not as happy with some of the sound distortion. It seems to to hard to hear with certain programs and I have been told I need some kind of sound system. All in all it is a good set for the money.

I love this TV!

from Machesney Park, IL

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

This is a great flat screen television. It is just the right size for our living room. I definitely didn't want a tv that dominated the room but was big enough for a great picture. It fits nicely on our entertainment console. Although I do worry about a child pulling it down on them. The color is good. It has a good balance of hues. The sound is good too. My husband typically likes a stereo system to go with a tv ubt this tv must have passed the sound test because he has yet to hook up a stereo system. It also works with a variety of externals. We plug in the computer as well as DVD player and VCR. The remote is user friendly. I can even find the Closed Caption button without a lot of effort.

• Sound Quality:

We like this TV, I have one and both of my parents have one too!

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

I think this TV delivers for the money. I bought mine when flat screens were newer on the market and I thought it was very easy to use and had good picture quality. In fact, I liked it so much I bought my mother one for the holidays. The picture is nice and clear and the TV works super well with other Samsung products like the bluray player I received as a bonus for buying it! I had an issue with the TV when it was moved into a new home and I called and a repairman came out and picked it up and repaired the issue free of cost to me. This confirmed my love affair with Samsung, I went out and bought another one (my third TV exactly the same) for my father. The ONLY thing I would say is that if you enjoy very loud TV you will need to get surround sound for this set because it seems to be loud at its highest setting but not as loud as older sets by comparison. I am pretty certain you will enjoy this product and the more competitive pricing now means you get an even better deal in my opinion!

Sound Quality
Add surround sound if you looking for a lot boom for your buck

Three sets and no real problems, that's a durable product.

Slim and easy to find a stand for so although it's a nice sized screen it doesn't overpower a room.

Reliable product and after three of the same TV purchased, I think that says it all!

• Sound Quality:

Decent tv for its age. A few problems along the way.

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

Decent picture quality and reliability. Had one minor issue with the backlight burning out early but Samsung was very helpful and quick to pay my repair bills. Cheesy speakers but who doesn't have surround sound by now?

Picture Quality
Great for an "older" tv. You can change a variety of settings (screen size, filters, etc) easily right from the remote.

Sound Quality
Not great but what do you expect from a flat screen. Do yourself a favor and get surround. Most decent tvs in the future will require it anyway.

So far so good. Collects dust like crazy.

Sleek. Slim. Looks high tech. Remote could be better.

Takes a while to fire up. Good after that. Changes channels quickly.

Great size, High Quality Flat Panel HDTV

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

We love our new HDTV. The picture quality is so amazing. Makes old black and white movies look really crisp like you are there watching the movie being filmed. Am nearsighted and this is perfect size so I can still read subtitles from across the room. You can see so many details like skin pores that you could never see on an old boxy tv. Perfect for all you movie lovers! We have a blu ray player connected to it so we can watch Netflix, YouTube, and listen to Pandora radio. Do not see any need for buying an addtional soundbar speaker, since the volume is great from this tv setting on top of our oak tv cabinet. This HDTV really makes movie watching and catching up on old TV shows a real joy to watch. Almost as good as being in movie theater.

We love our Samsung 40inch LCD TV it works great

from Milo, IA

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

I had to laugh when we first thought about getting one because we said we never needed one and then they were on sale and we looked at this Samsung 40 inch and fell in love with it. We love our TV now and can't believe we waited so long to get one and such an old TV and how bad the picture was and now we have such a clear picture.

Picture Quality
We get such a clear picture and we can see stuff in such great color then we were seeing on our old tv. You can adjust the picture to make it work for you and your family and you will be very happy with how it turns out.

Sound Quality
The sound is great and it works just fine for us, we can turn it up as loud as we want or have it as low as we want and you understand everything that they are saying.

I think it is made very well and I never thought I would trust such a big screen on such a small stand but it holds up just fine even with the grand kids jumping up and down in the room.

The design seems to be about the same as the rest and the size is great. I do like that is is so much thinner then our old TV and that it fits so much better to the wall then the old ones do.

The performance is great and we have no problems with this TV and would get another one just like it with out thinking twice. It really is a good TV and we have ours for 2 years and hope it last at least 10.

Awesome!

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

I will start by saying my husband is somewhat brand loyal when it comes to electronics, we don't buy off brand because they break. We got it two years ago and have had great results with it. Currently my husband (who is kind of a tech guy) has it hooked up to surround sound, Bluray player, Xbox, Wii, and it is also being used as the monitor for his computer. We have enough ports left over to also hook it into cable (we just choose not to have it). We love the crystal clear picture quality (no matter how close or far you are from it). We stream Netflix, chat online, Skype, game, watch movies and TV shows (online) with no problems. My husband said I need to include that it doesn't overheat, even though it is used a lot, as it is both our TV and our computer monitor.

Picture Quality
We have an XBox, Wii, Blue Ray player and my husband's computer all hooked into this (using the TV as a computer monitor). My hubby games on it, watches Blurays, DVDs and Netflix and the picture is great on everything.

Sound Quality
We have a surround sound hooked up to it, but it wouldn't need it. That is entirely due to our preference.

This was initially moved 2.5 hours in the back of a car to get it to our apartment (from the store). We've had it for 2 years without any problems.

Watch This!

from Perry, MI

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

We received this Samsung 40" HD t.v and found it to be one of the easiest t.v.'s to operate, watch & enjoy. It comes with 3 HDMI outputs/inputs, a USB port, 2 sets of AV jacks, a coxial input (the old cable that screws on), multiple devices can be plugged into it, & can be wall mounted or stand alone. The picture is great regardless of it being in High Def. The 40" size is perfect. To clean the screen; make sure your t.v. is off and not hot & dust it. Take equal parts of vinegar & water, mix into a small cup. Use the wet wringed out cloth and follow up with a dry non abrasive cloth. This trick works on all LCD screens!

• Sound Quality:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Roseville, CA

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

I purchased this Samsung television for my bedroom and have it mounted on the wall and I love it. It has all the features I was looking for in a television and offers me a clear, clean picture and great sound quality. The style of the television is very nice and sleek and fits nicely against my wall. It has nice graphics and I like the menu. The remote is nice and easy to use and offers all the features I need. It is easy to use as well and also to hook up all your accessories such as dvd player and surround sound. If you don't want to mount the television it comes with a nice stand that is easy to attach. Although my television is mounted, I believe it would stand very well on a shelf. Overall the Samsung television is a great television and I would definitely recommend it.

• Sound Quality:

Great upgrade for the bedroom

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

In my opinion Samsung makes the best quality Tv's, I love the quality of them. I hooked up this tv in no time and the colors looked great right out of the box. I decided to try out my xbox on it, and it looks so smooth. My only complaint would be the sound is very lacking but thats why you should use a home theatre or gaming headphones. Overall, i'm glad I purchased this.

• Sound Quality:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Samsung 40 in. LCD TV:

For the money, this TV is excellent. Had it over a year and it's still great. It has a wonderful picture, a pretty thin design (not like LED), and it's very easy to use. I use it with a surround sound so i can't comment on it's speakers.

It will compliment any room and provide spectacular entertainment when attached to HD sources. It is an excellent value.