Other Microwave Ovens:

Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven

Pros

Cons

great microwave great price

My old microwave died a sad death after a power surge, so I was in the immediate market for a new one.  I went with the Samsung because of its strong reviews from Consumer Reports (#1 rated) and its reasonable price.  Our old microwave was probably 12 years old or more (exact age unknown), and so the Samsung's more advanced features were a welcome change.  Our favorite is the sensor cooking, which monitors the amount of steam coming from an item and determines doneness -- very neat and very effective also.  The only caution I would offer is for those whose existing ovens are of the same era as ours.  Apparently all new microwaves are mounted on a bracket that goes on the wall BEHIND the oven, but the older ones attached from ABOVE.  We have a concrete wall in back, so it was not easy to get the bracket in place -- you might need some additional tools in that case.  Otherwise, we are very pleased with the purchase.

It Was Great – While It Lasted

What is it about the way they’re making microwaves these days? My mother received one for a gift in 1985 that ran perfectly for twenty plus years. When it was finally time to replace it, it took three tries for them to get one that would work. They would install one, it would work for two weeks, and then just quit! They’d take it down, take it back to the store, and exchange it for a new one. Come home, install it, two weeks later…déjà vu.

I had better luck when I recently remodeled my kitchen—or so I thought. This Samsung microwave (SMH9187W) worked perfectly for me for ten months. Then one day, I was in another part of the house and thought I heard it start running. Now, I live alone, so clearly, all was not well! Unsure whether to reach for the breaker box or a baseball bat, I went into the kitchen, and sure enough, it had just turned itself on, spontaneously, out of the blue. (Even weirder, it had decided to run the “baked potato” setting.)

I stopped it, and went back to what I was doing, thinking that was odd…and a little concerning… but perhaps there had been a surge or something…well, as long as it didn’t happen again, I’d assume it was a fluke and not worry about my house going up in flames.

A few minutes later, I heard it start again!

What in the world?

This kept happening. (And everytime, the same “baked potato” setting.)

Finally, I decided to completely unplug it, thinking perhaps that would reset it and solve the problem.

It didn’t.

And at some point in all this, it broke even more: Whenever it started itself, it would only run for a few seconds, and then it would suddenly stop, beep, and show an error code, at which point not a single button would work. Not the light, not the vent fan, and not the microwave. From what I can find out from the Samsung website, this error code does show up on occasion and when it does, no amount of unplugging will fix it, it has to have a real repairman who can work on the internal electronics.

So. I’m glad I purchased the extended warranty; I’m going to call them and cash in on it.

I have no idea how common this is among Samsung microwaves; I did exhaustive research before I bought mine, and this certainly wasn’t a common theme in reviews of Samsung microwaves.

So mine has had some sort of major malfunction, but before that, I was pleased with it.

I don’t use the microwave much, so I don’t have much to say about all the various settings and programs…but I did use the light and the vent fan a lot.

The light is not in the best location, but that’s another problem with modern microwaves. I wish the light was more in the front instead of the back, or maybe better yet, a long strip down the middle, front to back. It lights up the stove’s control panel quite nicely, but doesn’t do much for pots on the front burners.

The vent fan is tremendous! It’s loud, but that amount of suction could hardly be anything but loud. The vent fan is what I miss most, and why I hope I can get it working again.

Like another reviewer pointed out, some microwaves today require you to push a bunch of buttons before you can even start. Not this one. Just punch in the amount of time and hit start.

The display is a dark background with bright blue lettering. And by bright blue, I mean BRIGHT. As in, you won’t need a nightlight in the kitchen. Or down the hall. Seriously. You can just use the light from the microwave clock. If you have the matching Samsung stove, you’ll be able to wash dishes at 2am by the glow of the clocks. (Ok, that last one might be an exaggeration, but I have walked around my kitchen, dining area, and hall to the bedroom by the ambient glow of the clocks from those two appliances in the kitchen around the corner!)

Would I buy this again? Hmm. Probably so, especially given the great price I got. But I would definitely give serious consideration to the extended warranty from wherever I bought it.

A note about the factory warranty: Supposedly, if you register your product, they extend the factory warranty by three months (so a 12 month warranty becomes 15). I did register my appliance, but the three month extension didn’t take…I have no idea why. I even got an email thanking me for registering my appliance and telling me that my warranty had been extended. But then Samsung said they couldn’t find any product registered under my email address, and they were just overall rather unhelpful. I’m not impressed with Samsung’s customer service so far. I hope Lowe’s Extended Protection Plan folks are better.

(I have the white one, but I can only find Stainless on Viewpoints—why, oh why, are they split by colors—the machine will work the same no matter what color it is on the outside! If you’re researching appliances, make sure you check for reviews of the same model in other colors—they might be split up, but it’s all the same thing!)

I'm basing this score on the ten months that it worked.

Obviously, the electronics score a 0 on durability (only ten months). But the rest of it seems excellent--quite sturdy.

Works great, matches everything.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

We redid our kitchen and got all new Samsung products that matched for it, and this was the Microwave that we decided on. The first thing I noticed was the sleek look and how nice the stainless color was on it, it shined really nicely and I knew that it was going to look beautiful. We installed it which was pretty easy and set it all up to use, it has a lot of great options on it and you are even able to leave a recorded message on it for someone when they come home, the screen displays message if there is one and it is really a nice option to have, especially with children. This works really well and offers all kinds of short cut keys to make things easier like cooking pizza or popcorn. It even came with an attachment that you put inside meat and put it in the microwave and it cooks it to the perfect temperature internally. It is very easy to clean it up after you get a mess in it and everything seems to just wipe right off. I love that it goes over the oven and it looks so nice in my kitchen.

Love It

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

We just bought a new house and this microwave came with the house. This was my first over the range microwave and I had always wanted one. I absolutely love this microwave. It looks good, it does not take up any counter space, and it is very powerful. I was surprised that this size microwave could be so powerful. I had a very large microwave that took up a lot of counter space at my old house, so this is a very nice change. I was also worried that not everything would fit in this microwave, but I have had no problems. I am very pleased with this product and I would highly recommend this microwave!

Great performance, could not be more pleased. It is powerful and I usually microwave at the lowest time recommended on the food label. This works perfectly for us.

Settings/Features
I'm sure they are great, but I don't really know how to use all of the settings yet.

I do have a hard time reaching it to clean, but that is a small problem.

Very simple to use.

For the modern man

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

We bought this microwave when we got our first house to replace the one that came with the house that looked like it was from the 60’s. It has a very modern look to it and looks like it is built very well. I was searching for something that was sleek and effective. I think the exterior look fairly hardly and it doesn’t feel cheap like most microwaves. The cooking quality is a lot better than most microwaves. It does what you want it to do in a good amount of time, on par with other microwaves of its class. We have only had it for a while so far but everything seems to be working as it should. It is kind of hard to figure out what and which buttons to use it starts to get easy after a while. It cooks food pretty fast too I usually reduce the time to about a minute less so the food doesn't get over cooked. I recommend this to any house hold looking for a really nice microwave that looks nice and cooks nice.

Great microwave for defrosting

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

The best feature of this microwave, hands down, is the defrost setting. Out of the three other microwaves I've had in my lifetime, nothing has defrosted like this one. I don't know what it is, but something that would take 15 minutes to defrost in my other microwaves takes about 7 in this one; it's incredible.

I haven't been disappointed in anything with the microwave so far. I find that it cooks leftovers through evenly. It also heats my food up quickly. It's great for cooking popcorn, as well. The popcorn preset is perfect.

I can't really attest to the durability of this product, but I've had it for a while now, and it's still going strong. One of my previous microwaves has died in the time I've had this one, so I guess that means that this one is very durable.

I really like the design of this microwave. I find that it fits large containers really well. The door closes nicely, and it's almost effortless to clean.

• Settings/Features:

Can't live without it now!

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

I purchased this convection/microwave when my 14 year old counter top microwave finally gave up and left me with no other option than to buy something new. I read through the manual and decided to give the convection cooking a try. When I took my first attempt (a pork tenderloin) out of the convection oven it smelled, looked and tasted amazing!! And it cooked in almost 1/2 the time!!! I have never looked back and this Samsung convection/microwave has performed flawlessly since!

It is amazing! I have been using this oven for over 2 years now and it has never failed to work. It cooks in the time range listed in my recipes that were in the owners manual and the foods always look and taste like they were done in a regular oven. No chewy chicken or dried out meatloaf!!! I even bake cakes and cookies in it and no one ever complains about how they taste!

Settings/Features
The display panel has clearly marked and easy to understand buttons that can either microwave, defrost, convection only cook, roast (high combination of convection with microwave), bake (low combination of convection with microwave), broil, and sensor cook, bake, and roast. The sensor features are handy for things like bacon, vegetables, etc. Just pop them in, set to their designated number under sensor and hit start. The Samsung will cook them until done, no guessing! The most used feature by me is the reheat button. I reheat leftovers and this button will keep the unit from over cooking the leftovers while heating them. It senses condensation from the steam coming off the foods and shuts off at a level that indicates it is warmed enough!

The stainless steel interior was easy to clean when it was new and I kept after it better. Over the 2 years I have had this unit it has begun to display a type of buildup look that has cooked onto the surface and I cannot get them cleaned off regardless of what I try.

After reading the owners manual and going online to read various recipes and tips for using a convection oven I find the ease of use easy-peasy. Trying to convert a regular recipe to a convection oven recipe takes a little bit of testing. I either drop the temperature by 25 degrees or cut the time back by about 10%.

Having only had this unit for about 2 years the determination of its durability is not quite attainable. It has held up just fine to now...hoping it will continue to hold up for 10 or more years longer.

Not sure how any design changes or differences can occur, but this unit is sleek in appearance with stainless steel. It is a model that mounted over the range and functions very well there.

Good not great

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

This is a pretty good microwave, but I don't think I would buy the brand again. I found that it cooks well, and evenly. The 1.8 cubic feet is a good size. However, after it was installed I really was unhappy with how loud the machine is and also how the venting fan is really ineffective. These sound like little things, but you pay for a good brand, so I just expect more.

• Settings/Features:

So THIS is Why People Love Microwaves!

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

I had no idea... cooking with microwaves could be efficient and easy. Why? Because until my husband bought this and the Samsung stove that matches, you couldn't hear yourself think if the microwave was running, the old one was that loud. This unit is not only pretty -- seriously, the photo here doesn't quite do it justice -- but it's bigger on the inside (like the TARDIS, for those Doctor Who fans), and it's got a control panel on the bottom where it's easy to reach. I just love this thing. When we use it, I have to wonder why people haven't been making microwaves like this all along.

Thanks, hubby! Now I have the whole set of Samsung kitchen appliances, and have gotten rid of the yucky contractor-grade stuff for good!

You can't even hear it running, it's that quiet.

Settings/Features
I love that the control panel is low enough for the kids to reach it, and both it and the clock are at eye-level if you use it over the range like we do. The rack is a wonderful addition, although I don't use it most of the time.

Its fine.

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

This is a really nice looking microwave but the design needs to be changed slightly to make it easier to see the different settings. They also need to change the design so the side doesn't peel off. If you follow the heating instructions then your food should be adequately heated.

Settings/Features
I do not use many of the features. But I do use the light and the vent quite frequently and they are very helpful. However I feel that it is hard to see which is which. Although that is more of a design problem.

Its not hard to clean this at all. All I need is a rag or a wet towel paper.

It looks really nice but the right-hand side of the microwave ( the side with all the settings and features) is peeling off. I don't know what type of glue they used to keep that together. That is something the manufacture need to fix because it cheapens the quality of the microwave.

High Tech microwave!!

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

This samsung microwave is very very VERY easy to use. The style of it fits perfectly over the range of your stove and makes your home feel very stylish and up to date with modern styles. Everything about it is awesome and the space capacity is huge!! compared to a regular standard microwave. The durability is very awesome and it provides a sturdy protection for your food. The performance is great and it heats up your food very fast. Samsung products never disappoint me and certainly not this one. This is one of the best microwaves I have purchased my entire life. Thanks Samsung for creating great and efficient products.

• Settings/Features:

Samsung 1100 Watt Microwave Oven - Great!

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Samsung 1100 Watt 1.8 Cubic Feet Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

When our old microwave broke, we had to look for a new one. My husband found this one. I thought it was pricey at first, but it was definitely worth paying a little more for! This is a beautiful microwave that is stainless steel and black, and also has many different features. I am very pleased!

This is a very strong microwave. It works great and always cooks my food evenly.

Settings/Features
There are NUMEROUS settings and features on this microwave! If you want to melt something, the microwave will ask you what you want to melt (ex. butter, chocolate, etc) and how much you are melting, so as to not burn what you are melting or cooking. It's great! Very smart microwave!

It's no more difficult to clean than any other microwave.

I thought this was going to be difficult to use because of all the features, but the microwave talks you through the process by scrolling words on the screen. Very simple to use.

This is a very sturdy appliance. It looks very durable and I'm sure will hold up nicely.

I love the stainless steel designs. One day I will replace all the appliances in my kitchen to a stainless design. It's truly beautiful.