1.6

1.6

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

Safety insurance came through for me.

I have had Safety insurance for about 20 years now, and they have always been there for me. When my kitchen was flooded due to a faulty dishwasher, they sent us the money very quickly to get the repairs done. We pulled up the floor and carpeting that was ruined ourselves, and Safety reimbursed us for our work because we didn't have it done by the contractor who did the rest of the work.

Customer Service
Safety's customer service has always been satisfactory for us. My car was hit on the highway last year and I did not even have to go to an adjustor like I had to with my previous insurance. They sent an adjustor to my house to view the car and the estimate was almost exactly what the body shop man said that it would cost. The adjustor was very polite and came out at a time that was convenient for me, not for him.

Available Plans
When my children were younger, at home and had their licenses, I never had to worry about outrageous insurance costs. Safety was very competitive price-wise and gave us a good deal because our children took driver's ed in school. The cost for my children's insurance decreased, too, each year that they were accident and ticket free.

Safety is bad news if you suffer from insurance headaches easily

I've had Safety Insurance as my auto insurance carrier for quite a few years now.  Now, you might be wondering why, if I'm only giving this company 2 stars, I'm still with them?  The first is that I'm just too lazy to find another carrier.  Maybe lazy isn't the right word, maybe, the phrase "have no time" is better.

The second is that in January of 2006, 2 1/2 weeks before my policy came up for renewal (and 2 1/2 weeks before I flipped these guys the bird and went just about anywhere else), I rear ended a guy.  Not wanting to be placed last on the totem pole (I was anyway), I renewed with them.  6 weeks later, I finally got my car back.

Thankfully, I had a courteous, hard working agent working on my case.  I'd like to think she did everything she could, and that the appraiser screwed it up to begin with.  But with that being said, find another appraiser and get me my car back!   However, I've also dealt with some curt, short mannered people who can't wait to get you off their phone so they can go back to drinking coffee and playing Tetris, or whatever the hell it was they were doing.  In addition, I found their operator to be rude as well.

Safety's rates for auto insurance are set by the state of Massachusetts (I love how we're such a progressive state, yet we have effectively killed auto insurance competition here...but I digress), and I have the bare minimum coverage.  I never meant to stick with the bare minium coverage (I used it to get my car on the road ASAP), but just sort of have.  Their coverage prices aren't terrible (I've been quoted a lot better, and I've been quoted a lot worse), but there are better deals to be found I'm sure.  I'm also sure you could find an insurance company that won't make you go six weeks without an automobile.

Finding insurance in MA is hard since, as I said before, the competition is pretty much non-existant right now.  Safety isn't a totally bad option, but judging from my experience with them, there *has* to be a better one.  Or 3.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Just plain dreadful! I pay things like this on-line. First, it was almost impossible to correctly sign up for on-line payment. And since I did, it's been a nightmare.

Early in March I went on-line and was told that the policy had no payment due - and like a fool I believed them. Yesterday I got a cancellation notice !!!

Went on-line last night to pay it. Site said "Your policy is currently paid in full" and would not allow a balance inquiry or a payment !!

I just got off the phone to my agent to tell them to get me SOME OTHER Insurance company - almost any other! I can just imagine the horror if I actually needed to file a claim.

• Available Plans:

Safety insurance came through for me.

from Middleboro, MA

• Available Plans:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Horribly lazy people! Was involved in an accident they did not care about anyone being injured, just their money. Will make sure to tell anyone I know to stay as far away from them as possible. Heed my warning do not buy any service from them Safety insurance of Massachusetts!

Customer Service
Rude won't get in touch with you after you have been in an accident. They act like you mean nothing to them. Can't wait to quit them!

The WORSE most unethical frustrating insurance company. Horrible

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Safety Insurance is by far the WORSE insurance company I have ever had to deal with. HORRIBLE! There insured hit my car 6 months ago and I am still trying to get them to pay for the rental. The claims adjuster has been rude and has lied to me. I've been given three different reason as to why they were holding back paying for my rental. They paid out a little at a time. I have had to call them back constantly asking them to please do the right thing and just pay for the legitimate claim. I would NEVER choose them as my insurance company and if I am ever find myself having to deal with them again I will immediately be going through an attorney. I am reporting their conduct to the Division of Insurance and warning everyone I know to stay away and how horrible they are to do business with. Unbelievable.

Customer Service
Rude, lies, and don't return phone calls.

Worst Insurance company I have ever dealt with

Worst Insurance Company Ever

Customer Service
Safety Insurance is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. My car was totaled (through no fault of my own). I went to have the damage appraised and never heard back from Safety. I called a couple of days later to find out status and my agent was out of the office. I called again the next day and he was out of the office again, At that point i called the main line to be informed that my car had been posted as totaled the day after i had it appraised. Since my car was not driveable and I had no way to get to work until I had a new car. I called his office back up and left her a message letting her know how urgent it was and received a call back 5 minutes before they closed where she left me a message informing me that my agent was out of the office and that if he wasnt back in a few days i could call her back, The next morning I called and demanded to speak to a supervisor. I finally got a call back from the "back up" who informed me that if it had been that urgent i should have continued to call her until she responded. They tried to take $700 off of the value for my car for "scratches on the door" which actually just turned out to be bird poop. At that point she told me that If i needed a rental i would need to call the lady who had hit my car's insurance company and ask them for one. She then asked me if I still owed money on my car. I told her yes and she told me to bring my car to their shop in exchange for a check.

Then of course both she and my agent were out of the office for the next few days. When i called my financing company they informed me that the insurance company actually needs to coordinate it with them before they can release the titel of the car whcih could take up to two weeks.

Now I am stranded with no car and cannot get intouch with an agent. I am switching insurance companys the second this is over.

Poor customer service!

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Go with another insurance company.

Customer Service
Poor customer service! My phone messages left with either people or on voicemail for the claim adjuster were not returned. This lack of care is unprofessional and RUDE! This company is not worth the hassle!

Available Plans
This is a greedy company with unfair charges!

Auto needs safety and SAFETY INSURANCE always a winner

from Mansfield, MA

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Safety Insurance has been great for people who come to US and have a good safety record elsewhere. They are also on Budget and helps the individual drive safely. Good to recommend to others. They also bring down the budget when people move and inform them how it has gone down/up. They have been great till date.

Fascist Fees and "Facilities" (sic)

from Quincy, MA

Comments about Safety Insurance:

OK. Well, first, they seem to include a $6/month "facility" if you're paying by installment. Now, I'm looking at my dictionary, and "facility" does not mean that ... oh, here it is ... "fascist charge for not being well-off enough to pay in full". Yes, that's better. STOP CHARGING THIS - it's a blatent ripoff, and you know it.

Second ... be late by a few days and they'll hit you with a $25 "service fee" ... for what? For printing a "Notice of Cancellation" on sub-standard paper and posting it to you. That's probably 44.5c (44c for stamp, 1/2c for paper). So they're ripping you off AGAIN to the tune of $24.55 and half a cent.

STOP IT! You're being fascist enough - now lay off with the stupid fees and "facilities" (sic).

Low cost= low service

from Swansea, MA

Comments about Safety Insurance:

I have had Safety Insurance for my business and personal insurance on & off for the last 15 years. The only thing they have going is they usually have the best rate- you get what you pay for.

In my one claim experience- it was another at fault driver (with insurance)- I was appalled with the idiot that was assigned to my claim (his name escapes me). I was made out to be the bad guy even though I was making the claim through the at fault drivers co. Poor customer service. If you like to gamble and hope you don't need to make a claim- good luck

Expensive, rude and mean billing staff- the worst insurance

from Boston, MA

Pros

Cons

Comments about Safety Insurance:

Safety Insurance is the worst auto insurance I have ever had to deal with. Their billing manager is helpless and mean. In addition to it , they will always try to make you pay more. I had to wait and call for more than 4 times to make changes on my policy to make it goes down and that the discounts go through. I had it for 1 year and was more than enough. I would definitely not recommend this insurance to anybody. I request a quote to other 3 insurances afterwards and they all were lower than the amount i had to pay with Safety. So it is a combination between rude billing staff and expensive. Definitely stay away from this company.