2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

Reasonably Priced!

We have two different types of these outlet plugs in our house. One, is a frosted white plastic that is slightly bendable (can't remember the brand), and the others are "Safety 1st", which are clear. I like both types fairly equally for different reasons. The plugs that are frosted white in color, are a little more bendable than the "Safety 1st". It makes me feel like they probably have a longer lifespan because they wouldn't break as easily over time. On the other hand, because they are bendable, they have also become easier to pull out of the outlets over-time, due to useage. We've had those plugs in our home for 4-years because our nephews visit. None have broken so far, but some of them need to be replaced because they aren't as tightly held in the sockets. They are a frosted color and are very noticeable in our outlets. The "Safety 1st" plugs are completely clear. I love that because in our bedroom we have espresso colored outlets and the frosted plugs looked horrendous. The "Safety 1st" plugs look fantastic, because you don't even really notice them. They are only slightly bendable compared to the other brand, which makes them harder to get out of the sockets. This can be a slight pain for adults, but it's great that you **know **a child is not going to get to the socket. I feel like these will probably break much quicker than the older plugs we had, but I feel like that can be a good thing because we will be forced to replace them. Leaving an older plug in the socket that has lost some of it's integrity could be dangerous for a clever child. Also, the price is very reasonable. There are more expensive safety outlets available that have more features, but these do the job.

Don't present much of a challenge to little engineers

I am a big fan of most safety first products.  I bought them to childproof my house when my son was born 20 years ago, and many of the latches and locks are still in use today (I just got used to the darn things being there and it never occurred to me to remove them when he got older.  I also didn't have to re do the childproofing thing when my daughter came along 12 years later. )  In this one area though, the outlet covers are just mediocre compared to other safety first products.  Those little fingers seem better able to manipulate the covers than big, fat, grownup hands.  I was forever picking them up off the floor or running over them with the vacuum cleaner.  I didn't necessarily see them as a choking hazard, but then neither of my kids were into pacifiers and other such items that you can chew or suck on for comfort.  And I can't say that they are necessarily any worse than other products of their type.  It seems once kids see you remove one of them to plug in an appliance, the mystery is solved and the covers become a treasure of sorts to be collected and hoarded.  I actually gave up on outlet covers and went instead to situating very large and heavy pieces of furniture strategically to block little curious fingers, toes and eyes from the electrical outlets....I have to admit, this is one of the few products that both kids were able to defeat early on-eventually, they all were vanquished, but for the other items, not before the kids were old enough to understand why they weren't supposed to touch, open, etc.

Even hard for me as an adult to get them out

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

I consider myself lucky that my child never wanted to touch an outlet. I still worry so I use them all the time. I went to plug some stuff into his room and could not get the cover out. I had to use a screw driver to dig it out. If I can't even do it I highly doubt a small child could get it out. I can sleep worry free knowing that my little boy is not trying to stick his finger into outlets!

Somewhat frustrating

from Richmond VA

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

Though these are fine to use on outlets that do not get much use, but if you need to protect outlets that will be used often, I strongly recommend using another product. They seem to either fluctuate between being far too loose in a socket or so tight you cannot get them out again! Every time I needed to use an outlet, they would either fall right out or I had to go and use a tool to remove them.

Yes, they cover outlets, but they are very frustrating in the process. Slipping out of the sockets at the slightest touch does not keep anyone safe for long.

The covers that went in the correct way were easy to use. The ones that required more effort were very frustrating.

Safety
The fact that I had to use a tool to remove some of these, therefore putting myself at risk, was bad enough. The fact that some of them were practically falling out of the sockets on their own was unacceptable for the safety of my son.

inexpensive and they work

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

These things are cheap, and are a great investment for a lot of peace of mind. They are a huge pain to get out, but that is the point. I have to use a coin or something to pry them out so I don't risk losing a fingernail, but my kids have never pulled one out successfully, which is good. They are easy to go in, and keep fingers away from where they shouldn't be.

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

I'm not too sure how to feel about these. They either do their job so well that I can't even get them out, or they do such a terrible job that very young children can get them out. It's about a fifty fifty chance if you decide to purchase these (like every mother usually does). I believe these are even more hazardous. If the child does get this safety outlet plug out, then they can choke on it. Very iffy about this product.

• Safety:

Neither you or your child can get these out of the outlet!

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

I read a couple of the other reviews before I wrote this review because I did not understand why it had such a low rating. I have one of these safety 1st outlet plugs in every outlet in my house. I have never had a problem with my son nor any child being able to pull them out of the outlet. I have found it very hard to pull them out of the outlets myself! And yes that can be aggravating but that is exactly what i bought them for so I am a satisfied customer. I do like that they are clear as well because to me it looks better then the cream or white colored other plugs. Having them all over your house can look tacky but safety 1st!

They do exactly what you buy them to do. They stay put in the outlet and are not easy for children to pull out.

All you do is pop them in place and them stay. Easy to put in an outlet and hard to pull out.

They do feel flimsy when they are not in the plug but they are made of plastic so that is something I expected. They can't be made out of medal or any bigger or they would not fit and they would not be safe

Peice of crap

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

2 year old can remove them with no problem at all.

The point of these is to protect your child(ren) from electrical outlets. However when your child can walk right over and remove them it kind of removes any efectiveness it may have had.

very easy to install and easier for a 2 year old to remove.

Safety
Not safe when your toddler can simply remove them right out of the outlet...

• Safety:

My son can't get them out but I can't it's a crock.

from Cedar Hill, TX

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

I bought these when my son turned a year old. He could pull them out and so could our six month old twin cousins who thought they made great chew toys. No child swallowed them thankfully and we got them put up quickly. I myself could not get them out though, at least not without hurting my fingers and nails. They were cheap and you get alot for that price so I suppose you get what you pay for. I would not recommend them though, especially if you have toddlers around. My son thought they were great for throwing and they were interesting to color on but that's about all the good uses we found for them.

mom of three

from Lynchburg, OH

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

these are not a very good product for when children are crawling around and exploring they come out way to easy and are a major chocking harzard all a child has to do is barely pull them and out they come they should be flatter so they are flush against the outlet so that little fingers can't get ahold of them

Reasonably Priced!

from Salem, SC

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

A must have for all babies!

from Buffalo, MN

Comments about Safety 1st Outlet Plugs:

Let's face it, pretty much every baby on the face of the earth is interested in outlets.  Once your baby knows how to crawl, they will want to stick their fingers in the outlets.

Outlet plugs are a must have, and these ones work great.  Yes, you can see the, but they don't look too bad or tacky or anything like that, and any person who knows anything about kids will know that it's just something you must have in a house with children.

The plugs are very easy to install.  Yes, they are a bit of a pain to take out, but that's the point.  If they were easy for adults to take out, most likely, your child would have it figured out in no time.  The whole point is that they are too hard to take out for little fingers.  Adults can get them out, it's just a pain sometimes.

One final good thing about these is that they are big enough that I don't worry about a chocking hazard with them.  If one should get left on a counter or something, your child may get ahold of it, but it shouldn't be a chocking hazard (unless of course they bite part of it off).