3.3
Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches

Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches

3.3

Anti Kid Cabinet Spring Latches

These are cheap, they work, and they are easy to install. We tried the magnetic locks, but we much prefer these spring ones. The magnetic locks were a pain to install, and you have to have a magnet lying around in close proximity, so that if you have them installed in the kitchen, and a couple other rooms, you have to remember to bring the magnetic release with you or buy multiple and place them strategically. I highly recommend these spring loaded ones for price, ease of use and ease of installation. It's as much for the kids' safety as it is for preserving your sanity...we got tired of our toddler emptying all the kitchen drawers and emptying tubes of lotion and shampoo all over the house. Problem solved.

Impossible To Use Safety 1st Cabinet & Drawer Spring Latches

I purchased Safety 1st Cabinet & Drawer Spring Latches yesterday. My husband and I installed them last night. We proceeded to install one on the cabinets under our kitchen sink. The 1st problem that we ran into was that the directions on the back of the box, on how to install them, was very confusing. Once we figured that out, we had a couple problems positioning the latch and the catch in the cabinet just right so it would work properly. The way that they are made is a little wierd, if it is off just by a little bit, you have to take everything out and do it again, which can be very time consuming. After we finally got the one under the sink installed properly and shut the cabinet doors, we tried to open it. Now, it shows that when the cabinet doors are shut and locked, all you have to do to open it is pull it open a little and push down on the latch with your finger, and it will open. But that is not how it happened at all. When we opened  the cabinet door, there was not even enough room to fit our finger in there to push down on the latch and open the door. We had to use the long end of the screw driver to push down on it and open it. Now, how inconvienant is that?! I do not want to have to use something to open my cabinets every time I need something! We also tried to install them on one of our drawers and it would not even work right, so it was pointless. So, we will be taking these back to the store where we bought them and asking for a refund. I also will be giving Saftey 1st a call and letting them know what the problem is. We definitely installed it properly, so that is not the problem. The problem is that they need to tweek the locks a little so that my child can not get into the cabinet and I can! That is the point right? Very frustrating!

Anti Kid Cabinet Spring Latches

from Yuma, AZ

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Easy Use
  • Inexpensive
  • Strong Construction
  • Useful Application

Cons

• Accident Prevention
    • Kitchen/Bathroom
    • Toddlers

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

they work, but way better options out there.

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

When installed properly, these things work. But they are a total pain to install and line up right. They also don't always stay on, as the screws are really cheap. We used this for a while before switching to a different type that requires no drilling or screwing, and we are happy we did. Not worth the frustration if you ask me.

• Safety:

Safety 1st Cabinet Latches

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

When I noticed my young son starting to open cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathrooms I knew I needed to get something that would keep him safe. Safety 1st Cabinet Latches was one of the first products that I saw so I bought a few of them and got to work straight away installing them. They were not awfully easy to install, especially if you don't get both parts of the latch lined up exactly right. I knew my son was extremely inquisitive so I tried to only open the cabinets when he wasn't watching however, I got rushed one day and he saw how I opened it. After that, a bit of fiddling and 5 minutes later, he was able to get into the cabinet. You can imagine I was horrified. What was worse, the cabinet opens wide enough that you can pop your finger inside and undo the latch. My son poked his finger inside the cabinet and then leant on the door. Bless him, he didn't know what to do to aleviate the pain! I wouldn't recommend this brand of cabinet latches to anyone.

• Safety:

Awesome cabinet locks, a must buy.

from Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

These locks are great.  I put them in when my daughter was crawling and now shes 3.  My son is 2 and let me tell you he is the most curious child in existance.  The boy tries to open every cabinet and drawer in my home.  Without these locks I would have every pot, pan and bowl on the floor everyday.  These are a must buy, they are not hard to put in.  They have the adhesive and screws you definatly need to use the screws though.

Safety 1st Cabinet latches really work

from Kennedy, NY

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

Every parent knows that keeping a toddler out of mischief takes a lot of work. Luckily, Safetly 1st made it a little easier when they started selling their cabinet and drawer latches. Before my husband installed these latches on all of our kitchen cabinets, keeping our now 15 month old daughter out of them caused so many headaches. I'm sure she'll figure them out eventually, but several months have gone by and they still work. The only negitives that I can think of is that they can come loose if your toddler continuosly places too much strain on them,(but they hold up for a long time and are easy to replace when this happens) and when they were first put on, they kept me out too! I will gladly take a little trouble opening my cabinet doors if it keeps my daughter safe from dangerous chemicals under the sink and from dropping canned foods on her toes. Overall, I definitely recommend this product.

These are a great time-saver!

from Decatur, IL

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

These little drawer and cabinet latches are a great time-saver in that i'm not spending at least a half hour each day picking up the contents of all our kitchen cabinets and drawers..What is especially great about these is that they also keep your children out of dangerous things that are stored away..like poisons, cleaners, knives, pizza cutters..ect. As a mom of a toddler with my husband going to be gone on deployment I will essentially be a single mom so these kind of watch my back as it is hard doing it all by yourself. I really can't imagine not having these latches..I used to have to spend probably a half hour each day picking up all the ziploc bags, cooking utensils, tupperware containers..ect

The one safety item I have used for years!

from Littleton, CO

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

I have used the safety first cabinet locks since my first baby was old enough to get into cabinets and drawers. I love them and they are the one safety item I have not quit using even though my kids are now seven and four.

The cabinet locks are easy to install, just a few screws and you are done. I have to admit that I had my husband do that part!

I especially use them underneath my sink where I keep my kids out of all the chemicals and cleaning supplies.

The best part is that they don't break and have withstood many years of use and abuse by my kids and even by my husband and I when we forget they are on there and yank on the door! I'll probably leave them on forever, after all the kids will figure it out eventually!

When nothing else will work...

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

I gave this a 3 star rating because there is both good and bad with this product.

First, the good.  I have used the magnet locks in the past, and I love them.  They are more difficult to setup, but they make opening/closing doors to kitchen cabinets easy.  The problem is, they are expensive and they do not fit every cabinet setup.  In my case, they did not work with the cabinet drawers as the pieces were too large and would not properly catch.

I purchases these as a substitute.  These are very easy to install.  I only installed the latch part (requires 1 small screw inside the cabinet).  The other part that it catches on was not necessary for my setup as the latch would easily catch the wood in the drawer and hold tight.  These are easy for adults to use and difficult for a child to open.

Now the downside.  As a child can open the drawer about 2 inches, they can easily put their fingers in and get them pinched.  My little one has done this several times.  I'm hoping he will lose interest since it will not open all the way at some point.

So, its good in that it will work where the magnets won't.  Bad in that it will not keep  a child from pinching fingers.

These safety latches work great for us!

from Buffalo, MN

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

When our grandson decided that he now wants to get into everything, these quickly became a must have.  They are decently priced and the quality seems to be quite good.

The installation is a bit of a pain in the butt.  We just skipped the whole temporary sticky pads step, because they were a pain to apply and they didn't stay on well enough to actually let us test the position of the product.

It does suck that you have to drill into your cabinets to install these, but I don't think I've found any product like this where you don't have to drill into your cabinets and my grandson's safety is worth it!  Plus, the holes that you drill aren't that big and it doesn't affect the way your cabinets function at all.

So far, these latchs have kept my grandson out of the cabinets and have held up well.  We have only had them installed for a couple of weeks, but we have not had any problems with them and they seem that they will hold up well!

Dislike

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Safety 1st Cabinet and Drawer Spring Latches:

**I really am not a fan of these **Safety 1st Cabinet and  Drawer Spring Latches they are cheaply made and break pretty easily I have a kitchen drawer I have installed a latch on twice now adn that really shouldnt be the case since I just child proofed them in july. They apear  to be cheap plastic when you hold them but i did not think they would be this bad as i have previously bought safety first products and they stood up a lot better than these do. The package can be deceeving because they dont look so bad through the package either. I wish I could go backa nd pick a different latch or even maybe a different brand but I will make due with these untill I am out of them but I never would recomend these because of my own personal expierence with them. and the pain of changing the broken ones after I already had installed them and thought I was done with that. Next time if there is a next  I will definatly read reviews and choose more carefully.****