3.1

3.1

Pros

Cons

Not the Cheapest, But Close; Handling of Claims Satisfactory

I have been insured with Safeco for the last five years, dating back to when I lived in Florida. A big shout out to the guys and gals at Accord Insurance out on US1 South in St. Augustine, by the way. In any case, I currently have Safeco policies for home and auto, and find their services to be solidly adequate. The premiums aren't breaking me, and if I happen to crack up my car, neither will the deductible.These days, I do everything over the phone, so the old-school personal approach I dealt with back in NE Florida has been supplanted by the automated menu of payment options on the Safeco 800 number. Can't really complain about that, I guess. It's easy enough, as long as I remember to do it in time to avoid the $5 late fees.I am satisfied with Safeco's service enough so as not to be actively shopping around for another insurer.

Stay far, far away

several years ago, we had Safeco as the insurer on our home. Then, incompetent workmen from Comcast started a small. smoky fire when installing cable internet. They admitted fault. The claim was subrogated, meaning that our insurer would recover from their insurer. Then, the nightmare began.

*Our independent agent was missing in action and gave us no help in dealing with Safeco, even though we had generated commissions for him for years and had actually follwed him from one agency to a second one.

*Safeco dropped us, which was unfair because the claim was subrogated

* Then, our rates initially were higher with the successor insurer. The claim was showing on our record because the Safeco subrogation department had not collected the claim.

My recommendation is to stay far, far away from Safeco, and find a good independent insurance agent to represent your interests.

Then, incompetent workmen from Comcast s

Customer Service
*Our adjuster did everything in pencil, delayed several payments and incorrectly calculated several of our claims. Fortunately, I am trained as an accountant so I was able to document the loss.

Available Plans
the plans were adequate; the problem was the claims service.

Safeco does not care about long-time customers

from Pleasant Grove, Utah

Comments about Safeco:

I had a four-plex insured with Safeco for over 10 years and never filed a claim. A month ago an agent from Safeco called to tell me that they had an inspector check my property and they were cancelling my policy because some of the siding was bent and a window was boarded up. I checked out the apartments. One of the renters had installed a window cooler and had used a board to block the opened window and hold the cooler in place. I checked out the siding and yes, some of it was bent and could be replaced. I asked that the inspector call me so I could discuss this matter with him, but I never heard from him. I am very disappointed in Safeco. I can understand their concern if something is not safe, but they should have given me a certain amount of time to correct the problem before cancelling the policy. They did not do that and would not return my call. I consider myself a loyal long-time customer, and I think it is pretty rotten that they just considered to cancel the policy without any warning after they had collected 10 years of premiums.

Worthless and hard to get any service

from Omaha, Nebraska

Comments about Safeco:

I had this company for 10 years. I never had a claim or any accidents, nothing. But when I needed an SR22 filing to the state they wanted to charge but didn't provide it to the state. They told me each time I called a different answer. Getting ahold of a person there is impossible when you get someone they are arrogant and no help, so I cancelled. And they didn't care. I don't recommend these guys to my worst enemy, bad service all the way around.

outstanding services, highly recommended

from Seattle Washington

Comments about Safeco:

Our car was stolen and our claim was handled by Jolene Tobias. She did an outstanding job to settle our claim so that we could move on. Al and Jackie Severson.

No-Claims Policy

Comments about Safeco:

I submitted a claim on my rental home and was told it was less than the deductible. When I obtained the estimates, it was over, but the adjuster said it was actually 2 claims subject to separate deductibles, although arising from the same defect and, therefore, they would not pay. I then cancelled and obtained insurance through another major insurer for 45% less! Basically, their policy is that no claims made by the insured will be paid, which is okay if (1) the policy is cheap and (2) you never have a claim, but if neither is true, there you are.

Customer Service
The adjuster did a great job of construing the claim so as to avoid paying.

Great Coverage with Affordable Prices

Comments about Safeco:

I have only been with Safeco for a year now, but have had them in the past also. They have great coverage options and right now have the best prices around for the coverage I need. I have two autos covered with Safeco and have never had any problems. Their customer service agents are friendly and always helpful. I have never had a claim with them, so I honestly can not review that part of the company. They always have competitive rates, but I'm one of those customers who shop around yearly for the best rates and always end up back with Safeco.

Customer Service
Safeco's customer service agents are friendly and know all about auto insurance and what you need and what's not necessary. They are quick to provide rates and always able to answer any questions I may have without having to put me on eternal hold. Always a joy to deal with.

Available Plans
Safeco has coverage for everyone, depending on the coverage you are looking for.

Unbelievable Savings

Comments about Safeco:

I was able to reduce my Car Insurance bill by half when I switched to Safeco. I had been without car and the need for car insurance for about 2 years (my personal choice not a legal issue). When I needed it again I was penalized for not having insurance for a few years causing my policy to cost me over $4000.00 a year. Upon calling Safeco and getting a quote they were able to save me a bundle on my insurance. I have two car with full coverage on them both of which are driven very little and no driving points. They saved me monies and got me better coverage that I had before. I am so happy with the savings and the customer service.

Customer Service
I have only had to call customer service just a few times but every time they are very nice and easy to understand. The hold time was not very long and the agent i spoke with was able to help me with out passing me on to someone else.

Available Plans
Car Insurance is the only policy I have with them at this time but I am planning to look into home owners with this company scenes they save me so much on my auto policy. with out that savings I would never be able to afford home owners insurance

Safeco is fantastic

Comments about Safeco:

I have been with a number of insurance companies and have been fairly pleased with most of them. I have to say that overall, Safeco is fantastic, I cannot find one thing to complain about. They have the most flexible billing options of any carrier I have used, they have all the coverage options I would want and they have amazing pricing where I live. Cheapest, NO, but I don't want cheap. I want affordable, outstanding coverage as they come together.

Customer Service
I have been very pleased with Safeco in my own claims and I have MANY friends with Safeco who have had great experiences with them. Your agent can help you first and foremost so I suggest finding an independent agent.

Available Plans
Safeco has some of the best available plans you can buy with tons of options. I suggest talking with your agent about that. If you don't have an agent who sales Safeco, get one.

• Available Plans:

Do not get hit by a Safeco driver

Comments about Safeco:

Safeco will do whatever it takes -- legal or illegal -- to avoid paying claims. They make up fake charges, have rude, inexperienced claims adjusters, and act as bullies. If hit by a Safeco driver, INSIST that your own insurance company handle the claim. I did not and 6 months later gave up and handed the claim back to my company. They paid me in a couple weeks.

Customer Service
Rude people, they make threats, if you complain they retaliate.

Safeco Car Insurance

Comments about Safeco:

I have the minimum requirements for car insurance and it is the cheapest that I have found. I have had Safeco as my car insurer for almost six years and their price is still the cheapest that I can find for what I need (which is only the minimum). My insurance even just went down a bit when I switched it over to the car I just got (--a younger car if you will--) If you have to call, the automated stuff is annoying, but it's like that for nearly every place you call these days. The customer service over the phone is nice an courteous, I can clearly understand what the person on the other line is saying (always a plus) and the wait usually isn't too bad. The website is easy to navigate and to understand. You can pay multiple ways on the site and you can even call and pay. Everything is easy about this company (through car insurance at least, and in my experience).

Customer Service
Customer service over the phone has always been great for me. it takes a little while to talk to a real person, but that's normal these days.

• Available Plans:

Have had Safeco for years and has been the cheapest for us.

Comments about Safeco:

We have had safeco for about 5 years now. After switching since our rates would drop. We have 4 types of insurance with safeco and have been satisfied with it so far. But we also have yet to file a claim for anything other than a fender bender. We have had other rates quoted but for the type of coverage we want safeco has had the best pricing out there. It is an insurance company so it is a business and well they are there to make money so do I think we overall pay to much...of course but that is a part of life.

Customer Service
We mostly deal with our agent and their office and they have always been amazing. Whenever our rates drop we get a letter from Safeco letting us know...or even if it goes up by a couple dollars. All communication is timely and easy to understand.

Available Plans
For us having our auto and various home policies with one company has made it nice and easy. Plus with auto payment plans you don't have a huge bill right up front. The plans that we need which right now is 4 have all been available with them.